Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

2 years ago
Hello? I’m not very social... so I’ve turned to yet another writing platform. I hope to post soon but I like my work to be clean so it may take a while. Happy to be a part of the community!

Anything really important that I should know? Thanks!

2 years ago

Don't antagonize the mods, read other stories or post excerpts of your own pre-first-publishing to avoid publishing dogshit, and enjoy your stay!

2 years ago
Good to know... thanks.

2 years ago
Welcome to the site. I do hope you enjoy your time here.

2 years ago
Welcome!

Reading a few of the higher rated stories is a good place to start. Reading a few lower to middling rated stories and the reviews other users leave can be useful too if you want an idea of reader expectations and what does and doesn't work.

If you're not the kind of person to leave low content misspelled posts all over the place you'll do fine on the forum, just be aware there's not much censorship and most of the core members have known each other a few years so the injokes in the Lounge can be pretty thicc and layered sometimes.

If you have any questions about writing specifically or want some early feedback on your storygame try the Writing Workshop, or the Creative Corner if you have any short stories or poetry etc to share.

2 years ago

so I’ve turned to yet another writing platform

What were the previous ones? 

2 years ago
I spend a lot of my time on Wattpad (where I do most of my writing) and then there is Fanfiction.net, Movellas, and Sweek where I mainly read.

2 years ago

Welcome! 

I’ll give you my advice on how to do well on this site. First you should rate and review storygames. Rating storygames is always good, but reviewing them takes that extra step to show the author that you care about their story, and to help them become a better writer. Don’t be afraid to use some criticism in your reviews, if you don't like one part then say that! You can also give reasons why you don’t like it so then they can keep in mind not to do that in the future. 

Another important thing to keep in mind is this. If you are going to publish a storygame then you have to be a bit thick skinned. Not everyone is going to like it even if it’s good, and most of the time first storygames suck. If you are going to publish one or you are in the process of making one and you want advice on it before publishing, then put it in sneak peak. Sneak peak is automatically on when you make the game, but if you want to turn it off or on then it should be in a little check box when you go to my stuff> storgames> edit(I might be wrong as I am going off of memory here). Once it is in sneak peek you can put the link in the writing workshop and people can give you feedback on it. Don’t publish an unfinished story and don’t publish a short part one of a series unless it can stand as its own. The Homo Perfectus series is a good example of a series done right, but we still don’t recommend writing a series. 

I do have one final tip for you. The mods(Endmaster, Mizal, ect.) can and will ban you if you are being a nuisance. Just don’t do things like spam in the forums or anything stupid and you will be fine. I think you will do okay in this aspect, you seem like a person with at least half a brain, but I still think it’s important to put it on here. 

Oh, and you shouldn’t do duels like RPS against people with more than 100 points, they will beat you every time and you'll just lose points. 

Best of luck! Mizal said everything else I wanted to say already in her post so if you haven’t read hers yet then you should. And out of curiosity, what other writing sites are you referring to?

2 years ago
Homo Perfectus is a little overrated IMO. As in literally, there's a ton of ratings inflation from the old days there, and it's difficult to get to an End Game link so any players that are meh on it and would give it a rating more in line with today's standards don't usually persist that long.

You should try the Magellan series sometime actually, the games are a good hybrid between plot and management stuff.

2 years ago
Well, I spend a lot of my time on Wattpad which is the only platform I actually write on as of right now since I want to keep my stuff in one place. I do lots of reading there, too, and some on Fanfiction.net, Movellas, and Sweek.

I ended up here because I had a story I wanted to share, but the Wattpad system wasn’t conducive to my objective. Fortunately, this seems to be just what I was searching for.

And hopefully I still have that half a brain... I’m going to need it.

2 years ago
I just had a glance around Wattpad, and I notice they have a huge list of story genres to browse. Fantasy, historical fiction, science fiction, teen fiction...all normal stuff. Then, there's Werewolves. Why the werewolves?

2 years ago

Oh, I know this one.

I also have a wattpad account.  There's plenty of good stories and regular people on the website if you're willing to look, but a surprisingly large percentage of their user base is made up of horny teenage girls.  The result of this is that the most popular stories are 1) Nerd girl falls in love with werewolf, 2) Nerd girl falls in love with vampire, 3) Nerd girl falls in love with billionaire, and 4) Nerd girl falls in love with vampire werewolf billionaire.

All of this means it's pretty much impossible to find anything good using the search engine.  On the plus side, a couple really good parodies have been written of this trend.

2 years ago
Ah, so it's less of a genre category and more of a quarantine zone.

2 years ago

If that was the creator's intent, it's not working.

2 years ago
Yes, exactly. Which is why I stay away from from anything with werewolves, vampires, and the like.

Most of the other material is cliche, but with different details. Honestly, that’s part of the reason I like it. I can get a good laugh and my teenage drama fix it one sitting.

The other reason depends on the first part. After reading the same story in a different time, with different characters, or whatever else they can change without really changing anything, it makes a unique, quality story *that* much better.

2 years ago
Haha, yes, vampires. Nobody likes those, certainly not me.