WatchNon-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Discuss your favorite books.

Book Recommendations

one month ago

I have been doing a lot of reading recently but because I can't just go browsing in the library anymore I have been having trouble finding good books to read. Do you have any good Sci-Fi/Dystopian book recommendations? Thanks!

Book Recommendations

one month ago

That's a genre I also enjoyed when I was a young adult. Two books (well, one is a series) that pop up off the top of my head are the Insignia trilogy and Rash. I found both of those by browsing through my local library, and their covers happened to catch my eye. Obviously, if you haven't read 1984, that's the prototypical book for that genre and should be read at some point.

Book Recommendations

one month ago

The Girl with All the Gifts, M.R. Carey

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, Becky Chambers

Stories of Your Life and Others, Ted Chiang (this is a book of SF stort stories)

Start there, then report back.

Book Recommendations

one month ago
Becky Chambers does not appear to write about dystopias, but her stuff looks fun and interesting, I might grab it for the Kindle and think stargirl will like it.

I assumed by dystopias she meant stuff like the Hunger Games, so I didn't have any recommendations. When I think of sci fi dystopia The Giver is the only one that comes to mind for younger readers so I am pretty out of the loop. But a lot of older sci fi was dystopic almost by default. Stuff like 1984 is pretty bleak though and I wouldn't recommend it to a kid, I hated that shit in middle school.

Looks like they made a movie of The Girl With All the Gifts.

Book Recommendations

one month ago

The second book in that series that starts with Small, Angry Planet is set for the first half in a seriously dystopian corner of the galaxy.  It's pretty brutal.

Book Recommendations

one month ago

I've started to read The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet and am really enjoying it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Book Recommendations

one month ago

I thought you might!  The whole series is great so far (four books are out with more to come, I'd guess.)

Book Recommendations

one month ago
Try A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick, I got my hands on it this past Christmas and it really scratched that itch for good Sci-Fi/Dystopian. A Scanner Darkly is simply about a highly addictive mind melting drug, undercover cops, bugs, a government conspiracy and a Household full of paranoid junkies... and if it didn't scratch your fancy yet they made a movie about it staring Keanu Reeves with rotoscope animation.

Rapid fire round of popular Sci-Fi/Dystopian books that I like: Watchmen, 1984, V's for Vendetta, Slaughterhouse five, The walking dead graphic novel series (less popular) House of the scorpion and the limit

Book Recommendations

one month ago
She's like, eleven.

Book Recommendations

one month ago

*twelve

Book Recommendations

one month ago
Oh no! I didn't know that sorry...

Well for younger readers Id suggest the Maze Runner series and the limit for science fiction dystopia stuff ( I really liked these in the 5th grade through middle school).

Book Recommendations

27 days ago
You didn't know, and those are all the books I automatically thought of too. I'm honestly not sure dystopic sci fi is the greatest genre for younger readers, it's so bleak and depressing by definition. But I think the YA stuff lets you get away with plucky heroes who don't relentlessly get ground down to nothing by the oppressive system.

Anyway, glad Gower had good suggestions since I don't keep up with newer books for that age group at all. But of course he cheated by having daughters.

Book Recommendations

26 days ago

There's a book I really like called "Voyage to Alpha Centauri" by Michael O'Brien. It's heavily Christian sci-fi, so bear that in mind.