Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

A New Book Club

one year ago
I wanted to do this in tandem with the myth and religion context, but y'know, people were allegedly busy writing and all. The book I want is to read and discuss to kick this off again fits the theme very well though: Kim by Rudyard Kipling.

Anything by Kipling is going to be free obviously, and it's imo one of his better and more nuanced works but doesn't seem as widely read....or at least not as widely forced on school children.

It's not an excessively long book, and it really goes into Kipling's fascination with cross cultural "citizenship". Kim is the orphaned son of an Irish soldier in an English regiment and an Irish maid in an English household, born in India and more or less raised on the streets. He takes on the role of a Hindu servant to a Tibetan Buddhist who is on a holy pilgrimage, and it just is a really good adventure story with some memorable (and likeable) characters and intrigue packed in in addition to exploring the faiths and culture of the time when India was cool. (When it was owned by the British, who by the way were a lot better at building bridges too.)

If you're reading on a PC by the way, freda is a really customizeable and good e-reader, my favorite by a long shot at this point and free in the Microsoft store.

Anyway, I'll see what kind of interest this thread collects, but the usual month to read and then some time to discuss is probably the route we'll take.

A New Book Club

one year ago
Boy I sure hope another thread doesn't immediately knock this one out of the index of the barely used Parlor Room board. But what are the odds of that happening?

A New Book Club

one year ago

Shouldn’t this be in the Reading Corner, then? Is it some kind of story-game?

A New Book Club

one year ago
There's a bunch of previous book club threads all in this board for some reason, and I am a traditionalist.

A New Book Club

one year ago

Ah, the Dead Man Walking thread was in the lounge before I moved it.

But I understand the want for wanting to uphold tradition for something. When I find the person that started this trend of book klub discussions in parlor room, they're gonna pay indeed.

A New Book Club

one year ago

I am appalled.

Edit: Wait, they're talking about story-games. mizal is once again in the wrong and in need of punishment.

A New Book Club

one year ago
It was very unCYStian of you to actually bother to click those threads. I sure didn't.

But very well, moving this to Reading Corner.

A New Book Club

one year ago

Wait, the reading what?

Edit: Well, I guess I owe it to you now to participate in the actual discussion topic of this thread now that I've posted this much. But no promises, I hate promises. I'll try..

A New Book Club

one year ago

I don't remember having read that book. And I've never done a book club thing. So I'll give it a go.

A New Book Club

one year ago
Oh, I stumbled across this one in Junior High. It’s been a while. I’m down for a reread.

A New Book Club

one year ago

Sure, I'll give it a go.

A New Book Club

one year ago

I would be interested in reading it. I'll try to set aside some time today to start it. 

A New Book Club

one year ago
I bet you'll be the first one here to download it.

A New Book Club

one year ago

I went to the library for my copy.

A New Book Club

one year ago

Wait.  You left your basement to go to a library? When there is a whole online world where you can obtain a copy without moving from your couch??

A New Book Club

one year ago

Well, my library is really close to a great reading nook/bakery so I had a good excuse to go over there and eat a bunch of croissants.

A New Book Club

one year ago
I am so proud of you, I just teared up a little.

A New Book Club

one year ago
I downloaded it as soon as this thread went up, then realized I'm a retard who can't read english from 100 years ago. If this book club is still open after the semester is over I'll give it another try.

A New Book Club

one year ago
Yeah I dunno what to say here, I guess you really must be since there are lots of books from half a century or more before this one considered a normal part of curriculum for junior high students, and they're written in the same English as anything else. I bet those other kids didn't even study for the ACT for over 100 hours.

A New Book Club

one year ago
Honestly, it might be less not understanding the words and more to do with not having read really any literary fiction before. Everything kind of blends together and my eyes glaze over. I had a pretty shit high school that didn't ever expose me to anything more complex than "The Importance of Being Earnest." Guess I'm just a fantasy pleb who can't comprehend literary writing. I take a college literature class this winter semester, so hopefully I'll pick up some things there, because it really is a frustrating weakness I wasn't aware of before. E: I'm assuming this is literary fiction, but if it isn't then I'm refering to sophisticated literature as a whole.

A New Book Club

one year ago

shut up fatty

A New Book Club

one year ago

Well.  Um.  Dude.  Really?

Shakespeare was writing his stuff 400 years ago, and everyone reads that in grade school. 

For fantasy Tolkien first published the Hobbit almost 100 years ago, and he was British too.

Your explanation is pretty lame.

A New Book Club

one year ago

Even Dutch people have to read hound of the Baskervilles (a book that's more than a hundred years old) when they are 13 or so and their native language isn't even English.

Plus: I had to read Gulliver's travels (the original version, 1726. Dude half of the page was purely extra notes from the publisher, because the language was so archaic) when I was 15/16 and had to write an essay about it. It wasn't that bad.

Do you know what's friggin unreadable: Old Dutch. Especially Louis Couperus. The only interesting thing about the boring pile of dung that is "de stille kracht" is the scene where the Dutch plantation owner gets cucked by a native servant boy.

A New Book Club

one year ago

FYI - new Dutch is unreadable to me also, probably because I am not Dutch.

A New Book Club

one year ago

I can't read old or new Dutch. This is mostly because I had no idea that New Dutch and Old Dutch were two different things. The other part is that I am also not Dutch.

A New Book Club

one year ago
Gulliver's travels rocked hard

A New Book Club

one year ago
Yeah, go read some books, fatty.

A New Book Club

one year ago
Commended by TharaApples on 11/22/2022 2:39:28 PM

How is it that a middle schooler like myself can read this and you can't? It doesn't matter if your school taught it to you or not, you just have to take it upon yourself to educate yourself. That's what I do and it's been working out decently. 

A New Book Club

one year ago

Dang! Even stargirl dunking on Ace. Nice work 

A New Book Club

one year ago
It's so heartwarming to see the new generation bullying Ace too.

A New Book Club

one year ago
Okay, yes I'm a dumbass. For context in between posting that and now I'm taking a literature class where I've read more literary fiction, or interpretive fiction which I will be calling it from now on, and understand more about reading it. So I always chalked up my dislike of these kind of books to prose or them just being to boring or something. Really I think it's more of a mindset thing. I'm used to reading books and getting lost in them, and when I encounter a book that isn't made just for escapism purposes I just put it down without giving it a chance. What I've found is that these kinds of stories provide a different kind of value, things feel more real and it can help you relate to characters more. But typically that only happens after forcing myself through the first little bit and consciously putting effort into reading, instead of just absorbing the story. Tldr: I'm a dumbass who said a dumb thing and now that I realize why dumb statement is dumb I'm going to read Kim and provide my thoughts on it.

A New Book Club

one year ago

I'm in.  Looking forward to having a discussion with everyone who has done the reading assignment.

A New Book Club

one year ago

What's the edition you guys are reading?

A New Book Club

one year ago
I just got it off of Gutenburg for the freda reader. Looks like a MOBI (Kindle) file.

I also have the Kindle version for their own app with the cover image I posted in the OP, I don't think I noticed any difference. (You don't need an actual Kindle for that, they have a free app but might charge a buck or two for even public domain books at this point, can't really hoover them all up for free like you used to.)

Careful though, as a person of foreign origins you might have trouble with this kind of Olde Timey Englishe style gibberish. It's a struggle even for me, a native speaker who has passed an ACT to make out even a single full sentence.

A New Book Club

one year ago

I've had to reach a bunch of stuff that's not my usual style of reading material for fun as a college student. I'm managing thus far.

Finding it kinda interesting, actually.

But I think we're reading the same edition, seems like. That's the important thing.

A New Book Club

one year ago
He stopped; for there shuffled round the corner, from the roaring Motee Bazar, such a man as Kim, who thought he knew all castes, had never seen.

He was nearly six feet high, dressed in fold upon fold of dingy stuff like horse-blanketing, and not one fold of it could Kim refer to any known trade or profession. At his belt hung a long open-work iron pencase and a wooden rosary such as holy men wear. On his head was a gigantic sort of tam-o’-shanter.

His face was yellow and wrinkled, like that of Fook Shing, the Chinese bootmaker in the bazar. His eyes turned up at the corners and looked like little slits of onyx.

‘Who is that?’ said Kim to his companions. ‘Perhaps it is a man,’ said Abdullah, finger in mouth, staring. ‘Without doubt,’ returned Kim; ‘but he is no man of India that I have ever seen.’ ‘A priest, perhaps,’ said Chota Lal, spying the rosary. ‘See! He goes into the Wonder House!’

The kind of English spoken in England an entire century ago! What do words mean. :(

A New Book Club

one year ago

Yeah, I had a friend who was like that of Fook Shing once. Nearly 6 feet high as well. 

A New Book Club

one year ago
To be clear, what I was doing with these couple of posts is mocking Ace. (It's a common passtime around here. )

Anyway, I'm going to be finishing up Tales 2 today and tomorrow and then binging through Kim again over the weekend. The tonal whiplash should be delightful.

A New Book Club

one year ago
@MrAce321

I'm giving you a separate assignment of reading Call of the Wild by Jack London. It is a good easy introduction to "literary fiction" aka books written by dead people.

A New Book Club

one year ago

That was one of my favorites when I was a kid

A New Book Club

one year ago
Just started reading the first page and thought it sounded familiar. Then I looked it up and I've seen the movie before lol. It was a good movie, didn't know it was based off a book. I'll post my thoughts when I'm done.

A New Book Club

one year ago
Opening thoughts: Seems like a decent enough premise. Just glancing at the pages it doesn’t look like a hard read at all. I’m going to be giving my thoughts after each chapter since there’s only 7 of them. Addendum: Starting with chapter 2 I wrote this while I read. Chapter 1: Man poor Buck :(. The prose and style of the writing really is something else. I really felt the attachment Buck had to his family only for it to be ripped away. There’s almost no dialogue and yet the story is told so well. Don’t really know how to describe it, just that it’s pretty different from stories I’ve read in the past. I hated the captors and felt sad for Buck. As for the other dogs, I don’t know much about Curly besides coming from the same dog seller as buck. Then there’s the white fur dog, who hasn’t been given a name I don’t think. He’s a thieving asshole. And then Dave, who’s a sad boi. Also, who the hell names a dog Dave? Am I crazy? Because I’ve never heard that name before. Anway, I'm interested to see where it goes. This has been mostly set up so far, but interesting. Note: In between Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 I took a month long break and have been exposed to and gained an appreciation for “literary fiction” or what I’m told is the proper term for what I’m talking about is “interpretive fiction” instead of “escapism fiction” which I’m so used to reading. Chapter 2: Well rip Curly I guess. I would feel bad but I hardly knew you. This doesn’t seem like the type of story to care about developing characters much, I guess with the exception of Buck, but more about just Buck’s adventure. I could be wrong, but it just seems to be riding along with Buck on his journey. So now we’re getting more dogs, and I also figured out that the white fur dog is named Spritz, Billie and Joe. And some old mean dog named Sol-leks. I really doubt that these characters will matter for long honestly. Buck’s development is pretty interesting. Becoming more animalistic as he is forced to conform under the “rule of tooth and club.” You could draw similarities between this and the prison system, forced to abandon morals and become more like an animal in order to survive, and in the story Buck is in a kind of slavery, which mainly wrong because we can view Buck as a pusedo-human in this story. But this is just my thoughts, most likely thinking too deep into this children’s story. Chapter 3: Come on Spritz, that’s uncalled for. Your whole group is being attacked by wild dogs and you are going to just betray Buck like that. I hate this guy now. And then after Dolly goes mad, Spritz has the audacity to attack Buck after he finishes running for his life right in front of the humans. I really like the dialogue between the humans here. It feels satisfying for another character to acknowledge how awesome Buck is, plus I agree that Buck will probably end up killing Spritz. I like the whole idea of the dogs being engulfed by their duty. It reminds me of the satisfaction working with a team to accomplish a hard thing can bring, the comradery and accomplishment. It makes me feel mad at Buck for running the solidarity of the team and jeopardizing the “mission”. Oh yeah I fucking called it about Buck killing Spritz. I hope now though that he unites the other dogs again though, now that Spritz is gone. Chapter 4: Nice, leader Buck time. Time to get the job done. Though without Spritz for conflict I doubt this will last long. Especially because I remember some old man in the movie and I’m nearly halfway done with this book with no old man to be seen. I think it’s interesting how Buck doesn’t really miss his old life much, instead thinking about the impactful moments in his new life. You could say that his old life is gone, distant to him and only a memory now. Dave’s fate was really sad. The more I read the more this story seems to push the idea of responsibility, and that even if you are enslaved there is great glory and pleasure to be found by toiling with your burden proudly, until the weight of it physically crushes you. Chapter 5: Carrying on with the theme of duty there’s the incompetent leader. The man and especially the woman are extremely frustrating to read about, you can feel the dog's anger at them. It gets worse the more you read, the team slowly dying off because these humans suck at their job. The mail sled worked them relentlessly, but it was mechanic and efficient which is far better than just incompetent. I guess John is the old man I remember from the movie. It is a little late for him to show up, I recall him being a huge focus, but I don’t know how faithful that movie was. It’s nice to see someone stand up for Buck, but I’m not sure what the conflict will be anymore. There’s still over a quarter left and the trail has given out, so if this man is a guy with a sled he can’t go further north. So I’m not sure what’ll happen since up until now this story has been about Buck as a sled dog. Chapter 6: I find it interesting that he feels that with John he feels stronger love than he did with his original family. I would’ve assumed that he would be longing for that life back, but I guess after going through so much hardship and being saved by a man that bond would be deeper. This feels a little too good to be true, and I’m waiting for tragedy to strike. It’s the same feeling I guess you’d feel as Buck, having things rough for so long unable to accept that things will stay good. Lol, Buck just slashing open some guy’s neck. I just find it a really funny moment and it’s satisfying to see how fearsome he is I actually thought the old man was going to die in the stream. It would be really fitting for Buck’s character arc I think, to lose the human he had grown so close to. He said the only thing holding him back from the calls of the wild dogs was his love for John, so if he died I bet Buck would go into the wild. Just have to say that Buck moving that sled was cool as fuck. Chapter 7: Oh dang, wolves are here now. Side note, wolves are fucking massive. So how is Buck way bigger than this wolf? Maybe only some wolves are big, but this seems like an inconsistency. I also didn’t understand how they were traveling in negative 50 degree weather for weeks on end, maybe I’m just dumb but that sounds pretty impossible. I mean does it even get that cold in Canada and if so can people actually be out in it without dying? Wow, Buck having to choose whether or not to heed “The Call of the Wild.” It’s almost like it’s the damn title of the book! A decent theme, having to choose between the call to adventure and your current life, since the call to adventure necessitates sacrifice. I assume that from the title of the book, this is the main theme. And since it is so plainly obvious that this is the main theme, Buck will definitely decide to go with them in the end. Yeah no fucking way Buck succeeds against a pack of 20 moose. Killing one head moose sounds like too much, those things are fucking massive. And Buck manages to get him, and fights him for days until killing him. Just… wow. And boom, tragedy happens. Figures, can’t have nice things smh. Nice ending, totally called it by the way. Conclusion: This review is a bit of a mess, and I hesitate to call it a review. More a catalog of my thoughts while reading. I tried not to add any fluff and am more happy with the style I adopted later of just putting my thoughts down instead of trying to review each chapter. All in all it was a decent book, everything past chapter 1 I read in the same night I’m posting this, so it kept my attention. I don’t really have too much else to say, I think that even though you can get themes from this story, really the main point is just following Buck and his journey. Even though he is really personified, Buck still manages to feel like a dog and not a human. Unlike the Warriors series which just makes humans cats and gives them some gimmicks, things like being quick to be conditioned and his wild nature coming forth really cement the fact that this is an animal, not a human that the author decided to call a dog. I don’t really feel fit to rate this, it’s pretty different from what I read. I’d recommend it, but it wasn’t something I think I’ll reread or think about much in the future.

A New Book Club

one year ago

How long do we have until discussion? I've read a grand total of one page. and I need to how much longer I can wait so that I can plan accordingly. 

A New Book Club

one year ago
I'm gonna figure out what we're doing for the next thread and post it midway through December, any kind of discussion can continue here as long as people are replying though.

A New Book Club

one year ago
So how we doing, folks?

A New Book Club

one year ago

I've read three books since this started, and none of them were Kim. 

A New Book Club

one year ago

I have read few pages.

A New Book Club

one year ago
I hit chapter eleven a few days ago and found that the edition for free in the apple book store is missing a sizable section, so that’s interesting. Guess I’m visiting the ol’ Gutenberg

A New Book Club

one year ago

I've been busy but managed to read up to chapter 4

A New Book Club

one year ago

I have just started it, but should complete this week.