Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Please post music for writing inspiration

one year ago
In particular, if you have any songs that would be suitable for epic fantasy, but with a bit of an anxious tilt to it. Or some music good for grimdark. Here's one I found, but anything that fits with a story like this so that I can set myself in the write mood to get something done would be helpful. Thanks to all who read and post links.

one year ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhMLw6vq8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jikm8CCRbdM

One is darker, the other is adventuring music I use for D&D sessions.

one year ago

The channel of the second link has a lot of great ambiance music, so I'll link his channel here as well.

one year ago
Lol the channel didn't do much to distinguish them visually. But both are great links. Could zone out writing dark fantasy to these.

one year ago
Pretty sure they direct to the exact same page. But it's a good playlist anyway. I used it myself for Clockwork.

one year ago
Oh, right. Obviously. I usually just delete the portion of a url that has playlist information.

one year ago

one year ago

one year ago

Nox Arcana has a lot of stuff. Here's just some examples.

Might try this guy too. Seems to have a lot of stuff.

one year ago

The aptly placed Youtube Play button makes it looks like the knight is giving the dragon a blow job. ^_^

one year ago
Thanks. These are high quality for Dark Fantasy or Grimdark. I had actually heard the last one before. I saved it like a year ago and forgot about it. Definitely have some dark final battle feelings to them, to me.

one year ago

If you're looking for epic, I'd recommend anything by Two Steps From Hell. Here's one of my favourites:

But if you're looking for something a bit more ambient, I do like this one for writing:

one year ago
I love one song of theirs which I use for writing the "everything is happy" phase of a fantasy story. It is the only one by them I've heard, however:

But thanks for reminding me of them. Will check out other stuff. These two are great.

one year ago
Along with Nox Arcana and Adrian von Ziegler, there's Midnight Syndicate and Peter Gundry. While I don't like the genre that much, I think your best bet for "epic fantasy with an anxious tilt" or grimdark might be dungeon synth.

one year ago
I enjoyed that playlist (skimmed through the songs, listened to a few completely. "Eye of the Storm" is great. It has an air of finality, like the looming battle for the world approaches fast.). Thanks. The featured one in the Dungeon Synth kind of starts like an aftermath kind of song, then sort of morphs into a feeling of inevitability and sorrow, like maybe Gandalf might feel knowing what is to come (or that Tolkien might have felt if he could see Rings of Power ZING!).

Loved this one for a dungeon: "Old Tower - The Last Eidolon (2020) (Old-School Dungeon Synth)."

Also really liked "Last of the Sky Guardians" by Peter Gundry. Good stuff.

one year ago
Definitely not as grimdark, but I find it nice to listen to this when I'm writing or just looking to relax.

one year ago
Not necessarily looking only for Grimdark. But also music for regular Epic Fantasy that has a sort of anticipation/tension building kind of feel. Calm before the storm sort of thing. Or even an "after the battle" kind of sound, which I feel like the one you posted kind of sounds like.

one year ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TAUnYZpMbA&t=83s The whole channel is full of generic epic fantasy music playlists. Good for setting mood.