Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago
http://chooseyourstory.com/story/marooned-on-giri-minor Hey I know we have all been busy the last couple days reading hilarious Discord drama and patriotically cranking out short stories to make a stupid and lazy French Canadian CoGite look even stupider and lazier, but in the meantime this story was published by new member @Bill_Ingersoll and it looks really good. The writing itself is pretty professional for reasons which will be obvious if you check the guy's profile, and there is a lot of very purestrain original CYOA book influence in it which is also interesting so it deserves more attention if any of you are in a review writing mood.

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago
Impressive noobs don't exist, Mizal. You must have read that in a dream. D:
I'll be checking it out over the weekend. Someone nag me later if I don't.

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago
Yeah, I read the entire thing, and got every ending. I looked him up and google confirmed that he is in fact a published author, which is cool I guess. I think the most impressive thing about it, besides his ability to remember which page is which when linking them together, is the authentic sounding names. It is actually a lot linear than what you might think, there’s only 4 non-death endings, and they all basically end the same way. The endings aren’t even that good, one even ends with "’We've just made contact with the Starship Orion. They're on their way to rescue us!’" And that’s it. It wasn’t bad, but I probably wouldn’t recommend it to anyone over some of the other stories on here.

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago
It feels very authentically like a CYOA book. You don't understand, because you're like six.

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago

Mentioned those books in the review I posted a couple days ago *cough* feature me *cough*. There used to be a big section of them at my local public library. Young me thought they were the shit. 

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago

Actually, there are a total of 8 non-death endings, plus 2 ambiguous ones.

Also, the one ending quoted here also ends with the words "TO BE CONTINUED," which I'd like to think counts for something. ;)

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago
No it doesn’t. It ends with “The End.” It’s page 126 btw in case you want an admin, probably Mizal since she is such a big fan of stories with numbered pages, to change it. Also, I can’t count very well, refer to Mizal’s post for why.

Edit: Oh yeah, do you have a response to my comment on how similar it is to Pitch Black? It’s an older movie, so I assume you’ve seen it. I mean, if you’ve never seen the movie you could’ve of made like 40 million dollars in profit without even adding the rest of the series if you would of thought of this idea 20 years ago.

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago
Pitch Black, known world wide for its unique and never before done idea of stranding space people on a planet of bad things.

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago
For a second I thought that you were right, but after looking up “movie with people stranded on a planet with creatures that hate light” and Pitch Black being the first thing to pop up that doesn’t have to do with an island, I regained my confidence.

Here’s the description for Pitch Black : “A commercial transport ship and its crew are marooned on a planet full of bloodthirsty creatures that only come out to feast at night.”

And here’s the description for Marooned on Giri Minor: “You are a young recruit in the Astral Navy, serving aboard a minor transport vessel“ and there are crab things that hate light.

If you want me to go into more details on the specific actions that both have in common I’ll be glad to do so.

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago

That ending should have been one of the four "TO BE CONTINUED" endings, so if I missed that I apologize. Maybe I'll see if I can get that fixed later this week.

The only Vin Diesel movie I've ever seen is Saving Private Ryan, and I'll die a happy man if it stays that way. I did see your comment, and I looked up the plot description of Pitch Black, and frankly the similarities seem superficial, and at best pertain to only one of 19 endings.

I would think the movie Gravity is a stronger influence on Giri Minor.

But the true influence on my story, and the one I was intentionally trying to pay homage to, is this:

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/plane

Knowing this, certain other "Easter eggs" in Giri Minor might become more evident, especially to readers of a certain age. The biggest such "eggs" are all the references to one planet exploding and causing another to shift and lose its biosphere... resulting in the failure of a colony of Earth outcasts. (I played with the details of that element a bit to suit my needs.) But there are also three other deliberate and specific call-outs that I intentionally placed in Giri Minor as a reference to the subject of the above link, as well as two of the sci-fi works he created.

Also, astute readers will find two references to Dune, one more obvious to the other.

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago
Hi Bill, I know you're new to the forum so I just wanted to give you a few tips. You know, things experienced users mostly already realize or could easily suss out. 1.) Austinc has never published a storygame. 2.) He has been here months and has only four points. 3.) He is obsessed with dueling. 4.) His name looks like 'Autistic' written by a dyslexic. LOL! 5.) He is fourteen years old. 6.) He is probably going to die of measles. Which is all just a long winded way of saying that you shouldn't feel like anyone here expects you to waste time treating him like a real person. Roddenberry was a little too much of a creepy pervert, but I love a good portion of Star Trek and I've seen that comic, it's really well done and has a great message. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to your sequel. Prairie planet with a bronze age civilization sounds cool as shit.

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago
Hey, I’m 15 now, and it’s not my fault cysid is luckier than me!

Edit: I’ll have 9 points if (should I call her Briar or Avery?) doesn’t accept my duel.

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago

You should call her Commandant, with a sharp salute.

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago

I did see Austin's profile, and his age was obvious by the black-and-white conviction of his own opinion. Nevertheless, he is entitled to think what he wants... and obviously I'd like to see other's reactions to Giri Minor as well.

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago
In other words, you'd say his thinking is too two dimensional?

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago

I'm certain he'd chase us all the way into the nebula...

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago
>but I probably wouldn’t recommend it to anyone over some of the other stories on here. Which sci fi stories from here would you recommend then?

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago
I’ll admit, I probably wouldn’t recommend any sci-fi stories from here, but I did enjoy Paradise Violated and Ground Zero.

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago
Yet, you wouldn't recommend them.
Your opinions mean nothing to me any longer.
Absolutely nothing.

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago
If you found a portal that leads to a place filled with endless gold, would you tell people where it is? I tell myself that I don’t want to ruin other books of the same genre for other people, but I’m probably just selfish.

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago
You are selfish. EndMaster's works are free and available to all. You lose nothing from my--or anyone's-- reading them.

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago
Yes I do. The only thing that I have that keeps me intellectually above everyone else is written by EndMaster, and the more people that read his works, the lower on the food chain I become.

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago

Implying that you can feasibly go any lower than where you already are. Lul

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago
Oh I can, just you wait and see!

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago

To the extent that this matters to anyone:

I just completed a set of changes to this story, incuding the addition of a title page, an author's note, and most importantly, an epilogue. After thinking about it for the last month, I decided this last feature was important because it addressed the issues broached on the very first page of the story, but not satisfactorily resolved in any of the 19 endings. The epilogue also sets up the next story better, with several characters you will meet in Secret of the Grass Planet making cameo appearances here.

While I was at it, I also combined some of the shorter pages, since that was clearly a sticking point for some readers. The introduction has been converted from 6 short pages into 3 medium-length pages, and I also gave the spacewalk and crash sequences a similar treatment. I didn't have time to go through the entire story, and at any rate, my personal preference is still to click through a sequence of shorter pages than to scroll through long pages of text.

The sequel is coming along well and should be ready to publish later in June.

I hope everyone enjoys.

Marooned On Giri Minor

4 years ago
Thanks for explaining what changes were made.