Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Future of the World

9 years ago

What do you think will happen to earth over the next 50-100 years?

I think we will either nuke each other to death, end up with a world governing body that turns into a totalitarian government or collapse into complete anarchy.

I'd like to think that these wouldn't happen... but that would require faith in humanity.

Future of the World

9 years ago

Well my answer was "death" so I was half right XD

The future is kinda hard to predict. Maybe we'll have some super influential figure who'll restore faith in humanity? Maybe we'll all just kill ourselves like you suggested? There are too many possibilities. However, I believe a majority of the world will continue living on as it already is.

Future of the World

9 years ago
The value of the dollar will continue to crumble, the US government will become more and more oppressive, and the Chinese government will form a coalition with the Russians to become economic and military superpowers that will dwarf the US.

Future of the World

9 years ago

No, the Chinese military will lose to the US.

Future of the World

9 years ago

The Russian military, on the other hand...

Future of the World

9 years ago

THe Chinese military might loose to the US, but the Chinese actually fund half of America. America owes them trillions in debt. The second the US and China go to war is the second America hits the worst recession in history and crumbles to bits. 

Sorry but those commies have America by the short a curleys.

And incase you want to go with the "Ha, once they go to war they just ignore/write off the debt! then they are fine!" Well no since America needs to borrow billions of dollars EVERY YEAR just to keep running, the second they cut off China, which is one of the only countries still lending to the US, They can't even pay their own bills, so they hit recession anyway.

Future of the World

9 years ago

... And you base this on what?

Future of the World

9 years ago

Having a large military doesn't make you more likely to be opressive. 

Future of the World

9 years ago

I'm saying that the US will defeat China in the future. I hate commies. 

Future of the World

9 years ago

Yeah, that's fair. They've sort of warped what communism actually is. 

Future of the World

9 years ago

The only good communist is a dead communist.

Future of the World

9 years ago

Or a democratic communist.

Future of the World

9 years ago

Actually the Chinese have a larger military, yet we are more skilled. It could go either way

Future of the World

9 years ago

Seeing all this talk about large militaries and highly skilled military... makes me feel bad, considering my country is barely qualified as a regional power(militarily speaking)... :P

Future of the World

9 years ago

Future of the World

9 years ago

Nukes have too much losses compared to rewards to be used effectively, so...no.  Only if you were someone stupid like Bush (but even moreso) would you ever want to nuke a place.

That being said, China still has a rein on us for 18 trillion, and sooner or later, if Russia somehow gets bigger and bigger as the years go by with sudden pro-Russian civil conflicts, we might as well go all out in the span of maybe three, four lifetimes.  China might want it's money back, and we might have to pay it back...or at least some parts.

And there's also hunger to deal with.

And there's also the Middle East's problems.

Too many problems in the world to want to use nukes.

Future of the World

9 years ago
Despite the relative sizes of the military forces, I don't think the US has the will to use their military in any effective way (they haven't since the 1940s), while China and Russia clearly do. That's why I think those two countries will continue to rise. Keep in mind that no civilization lasts forever.

Future of the World

9 years ago

Hahahahaha, Russia? Doing better than the US? When has this happened in the past 50 years?

Future of the World

9 years ago
I didn't say anything about anyone or anything being better than anyone or anything else (at least in this post). What I was suggesting is that Russia is willing to use its military against enemies, while the US is not. Oh sure, the US will send their military all over the planet to stand around and get shot at, but it has been since the 1940s that the US used their military as an actual military force.

Future of the World

9 years ago

Yeah, beacuse in the Vietnam War, the US didn't send any soldiers... *obvious sarcasm is obvious*

Future of the World

9 years ago
"Oh sure, the US will send their military all over the planet to stand around and get shot at, but it has been since the 1940s that the US used their military as an actual military force."

Future of the World

9 years ago

So they just stood there to get shot by the Vietnamese? I hardly doubt that during the Vietnam War the US didn't use their army as an actual army!

Future of the World

9 years ago

You might see it as a selfish perspective, but hopefully I'm dead before Western society falls. I honestly couldn't give a fuck after that.

Future of the World

9 years ago

I don't know exactly, but I predict that it will be a mix of good, bad, and a hearty helping of weird. ^_^

Future of the World

9 years ago
I like to think Newt Gingrich's dream of a moon colony will finally come to fruition.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/01/25/10237875-gingrich-promises-us-moon-colony-by-2020

Ah, good times, good times.

Future of the World

9 years ago

China decides it's time to cash in on the USA-Debt which will likely lead to one of three 'general' responses. :D Actual results may vary.

USA says no, china embargos and switchs to focus it's economy of Europe. USA economy strained and something interesting happens.

USA tries to pay it back and fails like an epic. Alaska is sold to China?

USA goes to war with nukes and Fallout: 1 begins.

Future of the World

9 years ago
Possible fourth option:

USA convinces China that all it ever really wanted was friends, and the two walk off happily into the sunset.

Future of the World

9 years ago

Then North Korea would get jealous and bomb itself in a country-wide suicide attempt.

Future of the World

9 years ago

Friendship is actually a big mushroom cloud that leaves 'magic' in it's wake.

Future of the World

9 years ago

Fingers crossed for a nuclear fallout.

Future of the World

9 years ago
China cannot call in the USA's debt because of the impacts on the global economy, which would tank. Such a move would be economical suicide/genocide. They've been making huge strides economically, largely at the cost of their environment (they're trying to fix that somewhat now), so they don't have any reason to do something so foolish.

Future of the World

9 years ago

-10 points for taking it seriously.

Future of the World

9 years ago
Sorry, but I know far too many people who think that China has the power to send the USA back to the Dark Ages. It is sad really.

Future of the World

9 years ago

Gonna have to assume you are American here.

looking at the pure facts. They simply DO have the power to massively tank the US economy and cause a huge recession there. What is sad is that Americans like you ignore the facts and massive ever growing debt, saying "But America will win no matter what reality says!"

Would it hurt China to pull out and cash in debts? Yes, it would but as a country they are entirely self sufficient and have diverse trading partners in Europe and Across Asia. They are also entirely solvent as a country. They don't have debt. Their economy would take a small hit and sales would drop but their economy would easily survive while Americas would not. China Simply does not rely on debt and the world economy like America.

America cannot fund itself. The ONLY reason it currently survives is by borrowing billions a year. Your own president admitted not long ago, that if they didn't raise their debt ceiling yet again to allow them to keep borrowing billions more, that their economy would fail.

If China calls in debts or backs out, America looses around 1.4 trillion. This HAS to be picked up by other creditors like the Fedral reserve of other coutries, but America already owes them trillions. They either find new creditors or they immediately go into a huge recession and cannot fund themselves, taxes must jump by about 15% just to cover national bills. Even if they magically do get all that debt covered, they loose their credit rating and have to pay more for their next years debt with less people willing to buy it, this has been seen before in economies and is a dam fast slope to recession.

Simple economic facts. China CAN tank the American economy and send it into a massive depression spiral by cashing in its debt. Even American economists know this, their entire system is based off borrowing money and huge climbing debt, loosing 1.4 trillion would be a massive blow that would make previous recessions look like nothing.

Future of the World

9 years ago
I'm not arguing that China could wreck the US economy. They certainly could. My point is that they won't.

The global economy is intrinsically linked to the US economy. When the US was going through the recession in the late 2000's the entire global economy took a hit with it. This is how the world works now because of how interconnected countries are. Products are manufactured, shipped and consumed from all corners of the globe. It is like a giant spiderweb, and a hit to any major power is going to cause a chain reaction through all those connected strings. One easy example, many U.S. companies have factories in China. If a recession/depression hit the US, a great deal of them are going to close up shop or completely fold. But that's an oversimplified frame of the overall scheme.

China has a good thing going right now. 10.4, 9.3, 7.7, 7.7 those are the percent increases China has had in GDP from 2010 to 2013. That's huge (and dwarfs the increase in the UK"s and USA's). They have no reason to rock the ship and create undue turmoil.

I'm not an American apologist. US spending is out of control and needs to be curved or there will be big problems in the future. The US has proven it can lose, and I'd argue their government knows it can. They didn't even have the balls to stand up when Russia invaded Ukraine, and the US government loves to pretend they are protectors of the free world.

So in summary, you're absolutely correct. Terrible things would happen if China decided to play ball. (Though I believe you are highly underestimating the extent of the impact such a move would have on both the globe and China.) They just don't have any logical reason to at this point in time. Another decade down the line might be different.

Future of the World

9 years ago

AH then I would also agree, they do not have any reason to actually do this and it is an extremely unlikely action for them to take. The only reason I can forsee is a war and that is equally unlikely.

Future of the World

9 years ago

What they could do though, is slowly stop lending us money, forcing us to figure out how to do things on our own, or find another country to mooch off of.

Oh and did I mention that most of the money they are lending us is credit that we can only spend on Chinese factories and companies... Damn Chinese

Future of the World

9 years ago
From what I understand, China is trying very hard to find a way to balance it's economic growth while maintaining a healthy environment. For the longest time, they polluted without concern in the name of economical growth.

A few years ago, I had some friends who did a study abroad research trip to a forest in southern China through The Ohio State University. They said they did not have a single day where the sky was not shrouded in disgusting smog and grime.

If you want to read something really depressing, do a Google search on Chao Lake. I had the pleasure of attending a lecture by a man who grew up in the area. Chao is the 5th largest fresh water lake in the country and used to provide drinking water, recreation, transportation and irrigation to several million people. The region has to import water now because the lake has been polluted to literally deadly levels.

While environmental preservation still isn't their top priority, it probably provides additional reluctance to generate unnecessary global strife. At any rate, China has its share of problems just as every other country does.

My biggest concern is how many members of the media thrive off fear-mongering by ignoring important details regarding global politics. Doom and gloom sells at the expense of sanity, rational discussion and compromise. I have met far too many fellow Americans who are ignorant of the complexity and dynamics of systems such as this. The media says something, and they cry, scream, curse, whatever emotion the TV is selling them without thinking.

Anyway, I apologize @Fireplay for being so uptight and serious. The China fear-mongering has just always been the topic that seems to gnaw at my sensibilities in particular.

Future of the World

9 years ago

If we are going to argue military powers and shit like that, then why the hell don't we use this?

CLICK!

Future of the World

9 years ago

Wow. I wouldn't think Canada would be so high on the list.

Future of the World

9 years ago

Me neither, and apparently, to this list, China has a external debt of 863.200.000.000$, but to who?

Future of the World

9 years ago
That was interesting. I was surprised to see India above the UK, France and Germany.

The sad fact is though, if a war ever broke out between real powers again, nuclear devices would almost certainly be put in play. At that point, everyone loses.

These sort of discussions always make me wonder what the world would be like today if Rommel had not chosen the absolute worst time to visit his family, or if Hitler had the sense to listen to the best general in his army - and possibly the world; though I will always be a Patton supporter.

Future of the World

9 years ago

While I like to delve into historical "what if" scenario's, this is one has too many outcomes to debate about... Wait, what general are you talking about?

Future of the World

9 years ago
Erwin Rommel.

If Hitler had listened to the man and not focused so much attention on Calais, it is very likely the Germans would have been able to stymie the D-Day invasion. A tip of the hat to Eisenhower and Patton for selling the fake landing point so well.

Rommel may have even been able to alter the entire war if he hadn't chosen June 5th, 1944 to visit his family. The German defenses fought the D-Day invasion without true leadership.

Future of the World

9 years ago

To that I agree, Erwin Rommel was the guy who could've changed fate and maybe making Nazi Germany repel the D-day invasion and begin focusing more troops on the east to fight Russia.

Future of the World

9 years ago
Funny thing is, Rommel was actually a pretty good man just doing duty to his country. He even supported a conspiracy to assassinate Hitler to "come to the rescue of Germany." Obviously, it didn't work, and he died for it.

I'm rather depressed no one supports Newt's moon colony idea though.

Future of the World

9 years ago

Yeah, and unlike the rest of the Nazi Generals, he didn't use forced labor to build fortifications(while he was still in Africa) and neither did he persecute Jews like the rest. And maybe if his plan had succeeded, maybe Nazi Germany would've surrendered and (again) be put to pay the reparations, but not split apart...

Future of the World

9 years ago

I don't understand why everyone believes I.C.B.M's and nukes would be considered if another war broke out. Sure, I lack faith in humanity too, but come on, people aren't that stupid. Well, I can't exactly say for places like the Middle East or NK, but if they launched any nukes, I'm pretty sure they'd just end up suiciding themselves. Assuming they're anti-US or anti-Russia, either of those superpowers could quite simply wipe the floor with them (especially Russia - world-coverage ftw!). 

Besides, we have the means to intercept these missiles, don't we? So, assuming we can use our defences effectively, all that really matters is who wields the bigger stick. Although the environmental effect would likely be devastating... I just find it difficult to rationalise why people would go to such extreme measures to take out another country. Intimidation or a last resort are all that come to mind in terms of why people would use nuclear weaponry.

Not to mention there are some far more effective large-scale destructive weapons out there. 

Future of the World

9 years ago

I agree.  I don't think any of the superpowers would use any nuclear weapons until needed.  That would result in far more deaths, and would do no good to either sides.

Future of the World

9 years ago

I'm not sure why Vietnam should be high up on the list, unless it's just the fact that they held off number one without getting totally razed in the process (which wasn't the point anyways.).  Also, wasn't china forcing its own navy right on Vietnam's waters, causing a bunch of other southeast Asian countries to call for the U.S. navy?

Future of the World

9 years ago

Pakistan enslaves the entire world.

In seriousness, Murica will probably be a shell of what it once was, and either people have gone green at this point or we're living on the Moon, away from the Earth due to global warming. Weapons are going to get more dangerous, Murica will be more oppressive, Illuminati begins to jack everyone over. 

China, India, (Russia?) the Asians in general, or the European Union will probably become the next world power(s).

Future of the World

9 years ago

Is it bad to say I kind of want a world war?

Future of the World

9 years ago
Maybe just a little. :p

Future of the World

9 years ago

... why?

Future of the World

9 years ago

I can imagine it now...

Newspaper headline:

BOY FROM MINNESOTA KILLS ALL ENEMIES!

Future of the World

9 years ago

Boooooooo

Future of the World

9 years ago

You should be scared...

And aren't you from Minnesota?  Show some pride!

Future of the World

9 years ago

Yay Minnesota and shit

Future of the World

9 years ago

I think things will more or less run the same until oil reserves begin to run low.

After that, anything can happen.

Future of the World

9 years ago

Playa.. I think that was one of the smartest things you've ever said

Future of the World

9 years ago

Read enough dystopian fiction, and you'll get an idea of how it'll all turn out...

Future of the World

9 years ago
With jet cars and robot dogs that double up as Kevorkian machines?

Future of the World

9 years ago

I become an immortal and rule this world from the shadows. Oh, and jet fuel can now melt steel.

Future of the World

9 years ago

I  think it will be more like Wall-E.

Future of the World

9 years ago

I think that will be more like 300 years then only 100