Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Saddest thing you've ever seen, tv/movie/game?

9 years ago

I was just watching Futurama and thinking about how everyone talks about how Jurassic Bark is apparently the saddest thing ever. I've never gotten teary over it, but I'm bored so ...

What's the saddest thing you've ever seen / read / played?

9 years ago

9 years ago

... Damn, I forgot about that one. That was sad. Not the saddest thing I've played, but ... yeah.

That reminds me, though. Mass Effect had its moments. Mordin's death, Tali's suicide, Legion's sacrifice, exc. Never played it as a woman so I never got too close to Thane, but a lot of people put this scene at the top of their list: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itlEvIjEUfs

9 years ago

Jurassic Bark? I thought it was called Jurassic Park...

Jack and the Cuckoo Clock Heart (on netflix, and saddest of the three. And one of my favorites.), Maleficent (most of it is sad.), Big Hero Six (certain areas of it is sad. Of course, they had to ruin it by putting in something good at the end.).

9 years ago

9 years ago
There was an episode on Futurama in which Fry discovered the petrified remains of a dog he once owned. He tries to bring the dog back through scientific means, but he gives up once he discovers that the dog lived for 17 years or so, which he believed was a long, happy life for a dog. In the end, though, you see a flashback showing that the dog spent every day of those seventeen years waiting for Fry to return.

9 years ago

Futurama was so good at creating heartbreaking moments as well heartwarming. The saddest episode was the one where Fry was able to spend time with his family again in a dream, and all he wanted to do was talk to his mom, but nobody would let him, because the fate of the world was at stake.

9 years ago
Futurama isn't my favorite show, but it's comedic nature made tear jerker moments all the more...unexpected.

9 years ago

... Did ... you read the OP at all, James? xD

9 years ago

"I was just watching Futurama and thinking about how everyone talks about how Jurassic Bark is apparently the saddest thing ever. I've never gotten teary over it, but I'm bored so ..."

"What's the saddest thing you've ever seen / read / played?"

Yes. What did I do wrong?

9 years ago

Well, you answered the question with the episode I referenced in the OP. I'm guessing you didn't know it's name.

9 years ago
I wasn't answering you. I was explaining to Taco what "Jurassic Bark" was.

9 years ago

Ah, I see now. It's just not obvious from the post itself.

9 years ago

There was that episode Fry thought that his brother had stolen his name and clover and become a famous astronaut. Then in the end he finds out that it was actually his nephew who his brother had named after him. That show had some great moments that hit you right in the feels.

9 years ago

I watched that one yesterday with my spouse. I'd argue it's just as touching as Jurassic Bark.

9 years ago

Jurassic Bark sort of loses some of its impact now due to the fact that it was later retconned and showed that the dog lived a happy life with an alternate version of Fry.

9 years ago

Right, I forgot about that. Ok, I'd argue that it's more touching than Jurassic Bark.

9 years ago

The episode of Futurama that I'm referring to in the OP is called Jurassic Bark.

9 years ago

Here are some of the saddest movies i've ever watched. Miracle in cell no.7, Life is beautiful, and The boy in striped pajamas.

Some books are A Walk to remember, and Tuesdays with Morrie.

9 years ago

Ah, God, Life is Beautiful. Saw that when I was 7. Not gonna lie, it got to me, seeing such a nice guy get gunned down...

9 years ago

"We got a thousand points and we won the game! Daddy and me came in first and now we won the real tank! We won! We won!"

9 years ago

Poor little bastard ... I couldn't help thinking of the moments after it was all over, when they had to tell him he'd never see his father again and why.

9 years ago

Ah, that scene. I actually did not want to believe it a at first. That he just died that quick, but when i realized that it was true, man it hurt.I watched when i was ten.

But if you like that movie, you really should watch the other two movies i said, they would really tear you up.

9 years ago

Bruno was an idiot and Shmuel led his friend to die.

9 years ago

Yep, i could only imagine how the parents felt afterwards.

Actually the book was a good read too, just like the movie.

9 years ago

They were fucking Nazis, stop sympathising with them.

9 years ago

They lost their son, for crying out loud.

9 years ago

And that makes the death camp behind their house that they were running alright?

9 years ago

No, they were just grieving over the death of their son.

9 years ago

I actually didn't think it was that sad, more ironic.

9 years ago

Wait, which movie are you talking about again?

9 years ago

The boy in the striped PJs

9 years ago

Ah.

9 years ago

9 years ago

Never seen it, but that's messed up.

9 years ago

9 years ago

Why would you do this to my childhood?

9 years ago

Der Untergang.

9 years ago

How was that sad?

9 years ago

The desperation, the suicides, the injured, the war, the child soldiers, the foreboding sense that the Third Reich was literally falling apart.

9 years ago

The little bit of sympathy that the movie gets from me is from the fact that the commies are invading them. Fuck Stalin.

9 years ago

I don't feel sympathy for Hitler and his generals. I just think what transpired in those bunkers was sad and grim, like a feeling that there was no hope as the Soviets got closer to Berlin.

It's not a "omg his mother died boo hoo" type sadness. It's different.

9 years ago

You should be glad for all the life that was created. Two million German women were raped by the Russians!

9 years ago

Huh, so I guess they made up for some of the lives lost in the Holocaust.

9 years ago

oy vey two million doesn't come close to 66 gorillion, dam schlepping muslim

9 years ago

Um, actually the Holocaust death range was between 11-13 million, including 6 million Jewish people.

Coins, is that you? :p

9 years ago

9 years ago

9 years ago

Most natives of South American were violent.

9 years ago

Yeah, in the beginning they killed another priest before, but it's the fact that they all died after they got converted, out of human greed, that hits me hard.

9 years ago

9 years ago

The ending of Telltale's Walking Dead season 1.

9 years ago

Coins beat you to it, but yeah.

9 years ago

Goddammit Coins

9 years ago

Haha

9 years ago

Not gonna lie...I wept like a little girl at the endings of both seasons of the Telltale games. 

9 years ago
Nina Tucker.

9 years ago

Huh?

9 years ago

In Fullmetal Alchemist. Shou Tucker, a renowned state alchemist pressed to come up with an alchemical discovery sufficient to renew his certification, alchemically fuses his daughter and his dog into a single creature. When Edward meets the thing, it reminds him of his promised playdate he made before she was transformed.

9 years ago

... Oh. The little girl and the dog. Yeah. That was pretty awful. I'm not sure if I honestly think her death was a mercy killing or just life's final 'fuck you.'

Edit: Yeah, I knew who you meant as soon as I saw 'Fullmetal Alchemist.' It just took that connection for me to remember why her name sounded familiar. It's been a loooong time.

9 years ago
Depends on if you are talking about the 2009 or 2003 version.

9 years ago

What's the difference? (I read the manga.)

9 years ago

Spoilers:

2003:

Shou's sociopathic nature isn't too obvious at first. The "created a chimera that immediately wanted to be put out of its misery" thing is still a red flag, but it seems more accidental than malicious. When Ed discovers Nina-Alexander, he starts beating Shou senseless, until the chimera tries to stop him by biting his jacket. Even after all Shou did to it, it still saw him as its father. Basque Grand (who hasn't been facesploded in this version yet) comes in and stops Ed from beating Shou's face in. They put Nina-Alexander in the back of a car, but as it drives off, the chimera escapes and runs down into an alleyway, where Scar is sitting. Scar senses that the chimera is in pain and realizes that there is no way to deconstruct it without killing both of the constituents. So, he kills the chimera, splattering its remains all over a wall.

2009:

Shou's nature is fairly obvious, but you don't know where exactly it's going to go. When Ed finally discovers Nina-Alexander, he beats Shou up a little bit until Al stops him. Scar comes in later and kills Shou, before turning to Nina-Alexander and, realizing that it would be exerimented on, mercy-killing the Chimera.

Analysis: In 2003, Nina-Alexander tried to defend Shou. In 2003, Nina-Alexander was visibly in pain and scared. In 2009, at least, the chimera died semi-peacefully in its home.

9 years ago

I think you could argue both ways in both cases, honestly, and I'd understand either. Either way, poor thing.

9 years ago
In the 2003 version, Shou evades physical punishment throughout the story. So...yeah...I can see why you'd say that her/his death is "life's final 'fuck you'".

9 years ago

When I lost Garrus on the Suicide MIssion in ME2.

EDIT: I also cried when I finished Return of the King.

9 years ago

Pussy. 

9 years ago
I cried for so long when bubba died in forrest gump ;'( *weeps*

9 years ago

"Hi Bubba."

"Hey Forrest."

9 years ago

Grave of The Fireflies. I have a little sister, so maybe that's why it gets to me so much...

9 years ago

I forget the name, but the saddest thing I've ever seen in a movie was when a group of people were trapped in a local supermarket, surrounded by monster-inhabited fog. Long story short, a smaller group escapes the market via car near the end of the movie. The car runs out of gas in the middle of the fog (should have stayed in the damn market like I told them through my tv screen) so the guy kills everyone in the car, his young son included so he wouldn't get torn apart by the monsters.

With no bullets left, he steps out of the car and tells any monster in the area to come get him. Instead, the military comes up, a extermination squad with loads of survivors and flamethrowers......I guess the guy should have waited a few more damn seconds before capping his kid.

9 years ago

I want to see this movie now.

9 years ago

That's based off a Stephen King short story, I believe.

... I threw a sock at my screen.

9 years ago

9 years ago

That's it!.

9 years ago

This is probably ONE OF the saddest things I've ever watched. It was the first thing that came to my head.

The fact that his dad was killed by his best friend probably added to the sadness factor. Once again, this is ONE OF the saddest things I've ever watched.

9 years ago

Crazy thing is...all disney movies have some crazy, hidden, satanic message behind it. Weird stuff.

9 years ago

Like "that word" on a tree in the Lion King. I forgot what it was on, though...

And this movie is DreamWorks.

9 years ago

I wasn't ... really saddened by that, to be honest. I just found it kind of irritating. "Oh, you have both parents. We can't have that! Quickly, kill one of them off! MAINTAIN THE STATUS QUO, DAMMIT!" ... *shrug* I would've liked the movie more if they just kept them both. Granted, I wasn't all that fond of HTTYD anyway. It wasn't bad, but the original was better--heck, I even liked 'The Gift of The Nightfury' more than the sequel, but maybe that's because I expected both the original and the Christmas spin-off to suck, and I had higher expectations on the sequel.

9 years ago

That was just the saddest thing I could think of off of the top of my head. I think there was something much, MUCH sadder than that that I've watched... Every time I watch that, it gets sadder, yet I don't feel as much sadness. Some kind of paradox, I guess.

9 years ago

Maybe not "ever" but recently:

The last unicorn 

solas's romance in dragon age (+ Coles reaction)

hawke in dragon age inquisition (+ Varrics reaction)

9 years ago

... >_>' I'm admitting to this mainly because you are: I have also seen The Last Unicorn.

I liked it okay. It was hammy, cheesy, and a little odd, (like a cartoon sandwich of strangeness) but ... later on, reflecting on just how lousy of a life the prince had and the fact that he sacrificed his chance at a happy ending with the only woman he had ever loved for the concept of the greater good, to be a 'true hero,' (which usually does mean getting shafted in life) ... was sad.

9 years ago

I think I mentioned this before: Last Unicorn was the first movie I ever saw with a sad ending. 

I've also read the book, and the graphic novel. 

I go back to it, and what I take from it changes.

At first, it was Lir, like you said, for losing Amalthea and having to be a King.

Then, Amalthea.  The only immortal thing to know what regret is, but she still thanks Schmendrick for it.(reminds me of Thranduil from The Hobbit films)

Lately, I've been thinking about Haggard.  He captured the unicorns because they were the only thing that made him happy.  Then, he raised Lir as his son-- even though he knew the prophecy.  Was he lonely?  Was he hoping for an end to sadness and emptiness?  He took Amalthea on the tower to see the unicorns, when she was in danger of losing herself and becoming completely human.  He could have let her marry Lir, but he didn't- he reminded her of who she was and sealed his own fate.

9 years ago

I felt for Amalthea, too--just not quite as much because it's hard to say how sad it is. I'm not an immortal, y'know? And like you said, she thanked Schmendrick. Honestly, I wonder if it actually really effects her negatively over all ... of course, if it does, then she has to live with it for a probable eternity and she may never be considered normal among her own kind.

Haggard is ... an interesting character to try to have sympathy for. He's arguably totally insane, shallow, and a selfish asshole, being willing to ruin the natural order of things and unleash a horror on innocent creatures, but I can't deny it's kind of tragic that he lived for so many years and was unable to find any joy in life except for staring at his captives.

9 years ago

Or Mother Giselle's reaction to your romance with Dorian. Made me cry and yel at my T.V.

9 years ago

I know!  I was like, mother Giselle? But, but-- you're the most reasonable, likeable, accepting Chantry Mother ever!  How can you of all people suddenly turn out to be so intolerant?

I tell myself it's just that he's Tevinter.

9 years ago

It hurt my feelings a little. She was very mean to Dorian, then very crass to me when I defended him. It was like I was talking to my dad al over again! Then I laughed at the fact that she conceded gracefully.

9 years ago

As far as video games go, the music at Grandma's house in LoZ: The Wind Waker after Aryll was taken really got to me. So did the Arena Champion's "Suicide" in Oblivion. (Especially because everyone thought I was an asshole for killing him afterward) Some parts of LoZ: Majora's Mask also made me sad. Silent Hill 2, of course.

Aaand... Let's see... Oh, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger was a definite one. Not because of anything that was actually in the game, but I played it during a time when I was going through a bit of an existential crisis, where I had horrible phobia-like terrors about the afterlife or possible lack thereof, (I was a weird little 8 year old...) to the point where I was almost in tears whenever I thought about it long enough and constantly resolving to spend more time with my parents and friends and other things that people resolve to do when they're actually on the brink of death. I associated Ty with those thoughts for a long time, to the point where the theme song that played on the outback crab-car sessions would invoke feelings of despair and loathing. Various things changed, and I got better, but man, I had some bad, bad times.

The endings of Dark Souls and Pathologic depressed me to no end, both because they just made me feel so hopeless, and the latter because it meant all of the characters, some of which I had grown to care about (GODDAMMIT, DO NOT HIGHLIGHT THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE REACHED AT LEAST ONE OF THE ENDINGS YOU MONGREL!) were quite literally just puppets in a video game, in their own canon!

But most of those made me sad last year, if not earlier. (Several years earlier in the case of the first two paragraphs.)

The two more recent sad gaming experiences I've had were in Presentable Liberty and Bloodborne.

Presentable liberty was a sad game, but Bloodborne had one sidequest where you had to help a little girl find her mother.

Basically, her mother went out to find her father, a hunter who got so bloodthirsty over the years that he turns into one of the monsters himself. But her mother forgot to bring the music box that reminds him of his human self whenever he turns. Needless to say, you're forced to kill him, and her mother is fucking dead. When you break the news to her, she's heartbroken, and she begs you not to leave her alone, but... You have to! You have to kill all the monsters on the hunt and save Yarnham until next year...

And no matter what you do, no matter which sanctuary you do (or don't) send her to, when you're away on the hunt, she leaves the house, loses her way... And you find a little red ribbon in the guts of one of the nearby monster pigs.

I don't know why I sympathized with her more than other sad little characters in other video games, but that one made me hurt inside.

9 years ago

Series Finale of Fringe.

9 years ago

The ending to Xionic Madness was just...fuck...

9 years ago

I really can't relate to people who become emotional during any sort of media, especially movies. One of my friends started bawling during Rue's death in The Hunger Games, and I got so fed up with her that I had to excuse myself for a minute. (Or perhaps I'm just a cold-hearted sonuvabitch...)

I've cried twice in my entire life during a movie. The first was back in third grade, when the spider died in Charlotte's Web. And the second was last year, at the point during Forrest Gump when he discovered that he had a son, and a single tear rolled down my right eye. (It was the light, I swear.)

9 years ago

... So you cried during Charlotte's web, but you find someone crying at the death of a likeable child character annoying? And you're saying you've cried twice while watching movies, but you can't relate to becoming emotional during movies? ... No, you're not a cold-hearted son of a bitch, you're just kind of a hypocrite who doesn't get as invested in fiction as the rest of us. :P

I'll be honest, I don't find it shameful to tear up over something that's really sad, even if it's fictional. I just think it means you find something about the story compelling. The times when I've gotten emotional over movies were usually times when I was able to connect it to something I'd experienced in real life. Sure, it's not real, but it can echo something that is real to you.

9 years ago

It takes a great deal of effort to make that kind of resonation.

9 years ago

I dunno, I think crying in a sad animal movie when you're in third grade and not crying when you're much older in an action-movie isn't being much of a hypocrite.

9 years ago

I think you're missing the point, Tans, age really wasn't relevant to it. (Especially because he said the last time he cried at a movie was last year, so it's not like he was a child then.)

Saying you can't relate to "people" (not 'to adults,' or 'to teenagers,' just to people in general,) for something you yourself have done and the only response you've listed to it is getting genuinely upset over someone doing it? Yeah. It sounds hypocritical.

9 years ago

I think there's a difference between a bit of tearing up and sobbing relentlessly about something like that. I think Iz was saying s/he can't relate to people who get super emotional (more than s/he does) in media.
Which, I realize, isn't exactly what s/he said, but that's what I understood from it. I dunno.

9 years ago

If that was what she had actually said, "super emotional", then my response would've been "Yeah, I can understand that," and ... that's it, but she didn't and my interpretation is clearly different from yours. If I'm wrong, fine, but Iz hasn't clarified anything yet.

By the way, Iz is a girl. :P

9 years ago

Broke back mountain was a sad movie. The guy didn't die at the end.

9 years ago

I actually liked that movie. But I think that the saddest thing I have seen in a movie was the Magus' death in "In the Name of the King".

9 years ago

Never saw either of them. Heath Ledger was a good actor and all, (R.I.P) but I think I preferred him as a psychotic clown or a peasant-turned-knight rather than a gay cowboy, and I just ... never had any real interest in the story, especially once I heard the ending. *shrug*

9 years ago

It isn't the movie I prefer. I personally like "In the Name of the King" and "The Last Samurai". But that is like Billie Piper. I cannot imagine her as anything but Brona Croft.

9 years ago

Heath was great in that.  He portrays a stoic character in such a way that you still understand his emotions.  Subtle, understated, but powerful.

9 years ago

The Challenger disaster springs to mind.  It was mid-morning and there was a set wheeled into every classroom so that the students could watch this historic event - Live.  They started giving the back stories, showing clips of the teacher's students excitedly waving and giving her a cheery sendoff.  The countdown.  Liftoff!  Then, as we marveled, it happened...

(It couldn't have been more tear-jerking if it were scripted.)  

9 years ago

This is sad. If this is real, it's animal cruelty.

9 years ago
Unless she fell in their by herself.

9 years ago

*there

For fuck's sake James.

9 years ago

You got him!  Haha.

9 years ago
*For fuck's sake, James.

9 years ago

*saké

9 years ago
Poor Fuck. Nobody will let him enjoy his sakè in peace.

9 years ago

Elephant gets itself trapped.

ANIMAL CRUELTY!!!!!!111oneone!111

9 years ago
Now, now, another elephant could've pushed her in.

9 years ago

Or a another animal at the zoo...

9 years ago

Because every animal lives at the zoo.

9 years ago

Or the circus.

9 years ago

Who decided to play a game of Aarima?

9 years ago

I was crying like a baby at the end of The Walking Dead season one (The game, not the show).

9 years ago
The tribute to Paul Walker in Furious 7's end is the only time I have cried in a movie or a game. I was like 'this is not that moving' until the fork in the road came and I started weeping. Had to supplex Hulk to become a man again. :-)

9 years ago

That one scene from I Am Legend...

You know which one I'm talking about...

9 years ago
"Don't worry...about a thing."

9 years ago

I think the saddest thing I have played is the end of Telltale games The Walking Dead Season 1, when (SPOILER)  Lee is trying to save Clem but get's bitten by a walker....I cried so hard....and I don't normally cry at video games!

9 years ago

Wow. Long time no see.

9 years ago

So he gets bit? I'm only ay the part where I've just reached the farm of a cannibalistic family. 

So thanks for the spoiler.

9 years ago

There's a three-way tie between Little-Foot's mother dying in Land Before Time, ending of MGS3 and the beginning of the Apocalypse in Berserk.

9 years ago

MGS3 is the only video game that almost made me cry. Genuinely felt bad for Snake and The Boss.

9 years ago

Not sure if it counts as "sad", but Planescape Torment was probably the only video game where I could only do an evil play through once. Really didn't like screwing over my followers or being a dick to them in that one.

(Well okay, Valhior sucks and I never cared for him)

9 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3eMIrEzTE4

I don't know if you have to watch the vampire diaries (tvd) to get it but this scene gets me every time :'(