Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

What crazy traditions or holidays does your home country have?

Do you eat some weird things?

Make bonfires to repel evil spirits?

Do a sort of trick or treat thing out side of Halloween?
All of the above = a regular Easter in Finland

Or have something else you'd like to mention?

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago
It's tradition in my family to not have traditions.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

He said: "Traditions are a stupid thig." right?

Well I guess you're kinda right. I have to eat this every Easter:

No, it's not chocolate. It's fried rye pudding, or whatever it was made out of.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

It looks good to me -- though it's possible that's mainly because my appetite does not believe you when you say "it's not chocolate."

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

I couldn't find a recipe in English, and I'm too lazy to translate. So instead you get wikipedia text:

Mämmi (Finnish pronunciation: ['mæmmi]) is a traditional Finnish Easter dessert. The Swedish name for it is memma.

Mämmi is made of water, rye flour, and powdered malted rye, seasoned with dark molasses, salt, and dried powdered Seville orange zest. The mixture is then allowed to go through a slow natural sweetening process before being baked in an oven until set. Preparation takes many hours, and after baking the mämmi is stored chilled for three to four days before being ready to eat.[1] Mämmi was traditionally stored in small bowls made of birch bark called tuokkonen or rove. Finnish packaging still prints birch bark-like texture on the carton boxes.

Generally mämmi is eaten cold with either milk or cream and sugar, and less commonly with vanilla sauce. It is also eaten by some spread on top of a slice of bread. There is a Finnish society for mämmi[2] founded by Ahmed Ladarsi, the former chef at the Italian Embassy in Helsinki, who claims that there are around fifty recipes containing mämmi.[3] There are a number of websites with recipes using mämmi most of which are in Finnish.[4][5] Mämmi is also used as a minor ingredient in a mämmi-beer by Laitilan Wirvoitusjuomatehdas.

There's a mämmi society? I did not know that.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

Oh, thank you, but ... I already knew what Mammi was before I read this, haha. ^^ Knowing its ingredients does not make it look any less like chocolate, though. Even knowing it's ingredients, though, it sounds good. I'd definitely try it.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

In pre-Islamic Arabia people would bury baby girls because they weren't as preferred as men.

And Ramadan starts in two weeks :D Pakistan is so lively around the time.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago
Poor Dans, always getting rammed.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

I'd ram her dan, if ya know what I mean.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

what is that supposed to mean?

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

You know, ramming it u-... Uhh... let's not dwell on this and continue playing on the word ramadan.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago
obviously it means he wants to ram her dan

Edit:: God dammit. Why is it that I'm always logged into the wrong person on chrome xD

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

?It must have some hidden meaning!

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

The meaning is hard PIV sexual intercourse. How could it not be more obvious!?

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago
I think Jesus laughing at Islamic traditions has a certain humorous quality to it.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

Ramadan wordplay! Stay on topic, here!

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

Don't mock it too much, you'll piss off Dennis Radaman!

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

You can't just switch the letters around, can you?

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

Osama Bin Laden did.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

I'm not sure whether or not I should be registering that as a racist joke.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

... Silas, honey, you an I need to watch Family Guy more often.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

It would be cool if that awesome skater guy was here, rad aman.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

Why does Jack Black play Rock and Roll? To ram Da Man!... I think I hurt myself with that one...

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

Goddamn it ford.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago
I think I'll just start posting with random alts all the time xD

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago
Mar a nad.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

Why not mar both of his nads and get it over with?

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

Modern day:

"So tell me, A'ishah, are you having a boy or an abortion?"

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

That's a great way to get a Botchling infestation.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

In Iceland we eat ram testicles.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago
That...honestly isn't surprising, no offense.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

Ramanads?

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

Yes, ramanads.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

That sounds....interesting.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

Is it on some holiday, or just whenever you want to?

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

It's usually just eaten at a certain holiday. Sharks on the other hand is something that, although also eaten at that same holiday, we eat whenever we want.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

Oooh! Hákarl? I wanna try that.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago
That must take some huge balls.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

There's a cannibalistic ritual of eating the flesh and drinking the blood of a slain god that happens weekly around here. Weird enough?

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

Define here. Sweden? Iceland? Just CYS?

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

Anywhere there's Christianity.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

Oh. Yeah, I get it now.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

*grins*

Though eating "surstömming" is a pretty cool Swedish tradition worth mentioning. (That's fermented herring for those who don't know.)

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

I think I've heard of that.

Never tried it though.

Do you have "mämmi" in Sweden?

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

It's "memma" in Swedish and you can find it, but it's not that popular or well known. I know of it because I have friends from Finland.

Surströmming is not for the weak. The scent alone can knock you out if you're not used ot it.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

We don't have surströmming in Finland, so I could get knocked out or something.

Do you like watching other people eat it on youtube or something? I once watched some people try to eat salmiakki, it appears to be a challenge to eat it.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

I always have a laugh when celebrity TV chefs come to Sweden and try it out. Some brave through it, but many can't stop gagging.

Never heard that salmiak can be a challenge, but I do know that what we see as ordinary liquorice is strange to Americans. (Finnish liquorice is far better than Swedish though.) I think I need to go on a Google expedition...

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

I think I have some salmiakki in my kitchen.

I do, but not the ordinary kind. I have Tyrkisk Pebers though.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

Ever crush them and put them in vanilla ice cream? It's a summer favorite for me.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

I remember doing that a year ago. If only I had ice cream now...

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

I just remembered a Norwegian dish, skjelte (or smalahove), that's eaten around Christmas. It's a cured, dried sheep head, that's cooked before serving. A true delicacy, but I can't stomach the brains.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

I want to try that, but ... I'm not sure I could honestly make myself comfortable eating a mostly intact head. I'm not even really okay with sardines because of that. (I'm down with Eel, though. Yummy.)

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

I remember that that could be purchased in the local ice cream truck...that vent out of business.

Now I'm going to have to browse the super markets if I want one, and I do want one...

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

In Australia, we celebrate a shitload of things for absolutely no good reason (we get public holidays super often), however they're all pretty lame and normal. 

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

My family has a tradition of devouring souls, if you want, I could post a recipe later.

Weird Traditions?

8 years ago

Sticky rice balls for Chinese New Year. They taste like this pork and beef powder-thing that I can't remember the name of, all I remember of it is throwing up in my mouth over the taste. It's gross, but I have to eat it. This Chinese New Year we didn't and I was kind of cheering inside.