Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Does anyone miss 16bit games?

8 years ago

More often than not, I find myself dragging out my old GameBoy Advance and popping in stuff like Harvest Moon FoMT, Pokemon FireRed, Metroid, and Golden Sun (By the way the remake was awsome). I don't know why, but as happy as I am with the improving graphics of newer games, I'll always prefer the older ones. 

Do I have anyone agreeing here or am I turning into a grumpy 'older games were better'?

8 years ago

Ah, Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town... So many great memories with that game great now I want to play it again.

Well actually, the GBA was 32-bit, to be specific. Anyway, those were some of my favorite games growing up, but with time they make more games, the graphics get better,  and the games also begin to improve in quality (The exceptions being Harvest Moon, which has dropped in quality ever since FoMT and Metroid, which has dropped in quality in the recent years). But sometimes, I'll load up an emulator and play FoMT, PokeMon FireRed, or Metroid Fusion just for nostalgia.

8 years ago

Ugh. Don't get me started on the Harvest Moon quality. I got both The Lost Valley and Story of Seasons. I played TLV for a couple hours before I resigned to the fact it was crappier than ToTT. I'm not too happy with SoS, but I'm trying to give it a chance. I really liked Harvest Moon DS and the cute version was nice, but after that it just went to shit. Never try the spin-off games. Ever. I tried one... I think it was Home Town Story...? Yes. It was horrible. You didn't even get a farm. Just some crummy shop you got to own. I played through a month before I realized that was the whole game. No story. Just store.

Long time fan, long time disappointed fan.

Oh, 32 bit. I'm always mixing that up.

8 years ago

It's pretty sad, considering HM is one of my favorite game series. Haven't gotten TLV and SoS, nor have I gotten ToTT, wasn't a huge fan of DS, with the bugs and such. Also, I tried out some of those spin-offs... God, they were horrible. Some of the newer games are alright, though.

8 years ago

It is my favorite. Probably because the original game was my first game. I'd recommend A New Beginning or Story of Seasons any day, but I can't begin to describe the shame for TLV, TOTT, IOH, or any spin off I feel. It's a bad mark on the developers.

8 years ago

Hm, I'll have to check those out then. But then again, the games are for kids, and kids are a bit too dumb to really care for quality. Hell, the games just feel a bit... 'Off' playing them now.

8 years ago

Thank you for putting words to it!

I know they're for kids, but that's no excuse. Pokemon games are for kids but they are quality. Cartoons are mostly for kids, but some shows have quite the adult fanbase. (Ex. Gravity Falls.) Some books are for kids but adults enjoy them. (Ex. Warriors or Cirque du Freak.) Same with movies and many other things, just because it's for kids doesn't mean that quality isn't necessary

This is coming from someone who despises children.. 

8 years ago

Never really liked Warriors or Cirque Du Freak, but that's niether here nor there. Still, I had no idea the latter was for children. Teenagers maybe, but I can't imagine the target group for Cartoon Network is the same age as the one for CDF. Likewise, I'd never have a dispute with someone liking someone because they don't fall into the age target, like you said, it's all about quality.

8 years ago

Sometimes I miss the ol' 8-bit games on my Atari 2600 and programming my own (that weren't quite as spectacular) on my VIC-20.  Those were some good times...

8 years ago

Now you can program similar games with even more bits on your windows 6-8 with rpgmaker!... Or, y'know, unity or some shit.

8 years ago

Right now I'm pullin' my hair out over makin' simple Flash games in Linux.  I haven't tried to install rpgmaker.  

8 years ago

From what I've heard, Rpgmaker is a little bit like this site's engine in the sense that it only gets as complex as you want it to be, but I've never actually used it, and I've seen so many different kinds of games fueled on that engine that I'm not even sure it starts out as non-complex as the website wants you to believe. (Because really, the more freedom an engine allows, the more shit you have to figure out yourself.) That being said, I think there's a free version somewhere, so it couldn't hurt to try if it really does happen to be that simple.

8 years ago

I watch Dorkly to bring back memories of the old days, and it does it in a hilarious way.

8 years ago

I owned a GBA. Out of ALL the games I had, I LOVED this game called Ninja 5-O. It was my favorite. Even over the Pokemon games, and I love me a good battle.

More recently, though, I received The MGS Legacy Collection as a gift for my birthday, and I like MGS 1 and 2. I've heard there were NES versions of the games, but they were terrible because it wasn't the same game.

8 years ago

I'm into retro gaming and trust me, you're not alone in this. It is probably the nostalgia goggles we wear to some extent, but there was also a lot of love put into those old games and it often shows.

8 years ago

A lot more love than you see in games nowadays :P

I love playing old games! I was brought up on a GBA, so naturally I have a lot of great memories with them, but alas, I wasn't born early enough to get a good amount of time into GBA games (thank god for emulators). However, I still have some very fond memories of Super Mario World and trying to complete the game with Yoshi :D

8 years ago

The love put into old games was probably one of the only things that made Duke Nukem tolerable as a human being. Well, that and his jokes and references...

8 years ago

My favorite 16bit game was Redneck Rampage.  I could really feel the love in that one...

8 years ago

I always loved blowing up livestock in that game. Far more satisfying than exploding sheep in Spyro.

8 years ago

Yeehaw!  My favorite to shoot was the hogs, 'cause they'd come at ya.  The chickens just exploded.  And tippin' cattle was more fun than shootin' 'em.  Those giant skeeters, though...  I still cringe when I think of 'em.

8 years ago

Now that I think of it, I'm reminded of that one game that I think was made in Italy or something, where you play as the fat beardy guy with a shotgun from Redneck Rampage, and it borrowed weapons, locations, enemies, engines, and images from practically every one of those early FPS games ever. I think you start with a triple barreled shotgun which you use to massacre everyone in a church (Including an angry catholic statue of Jesus Christ) and by the end you have 80 weapons to choose from. Mind you, this is an arsenal which includes a hammer whose sole purpose is to put splat marks on your screen as your character supposedly smashes his testicles with it for entertainment.

It also goes out of its way to be offensive and morbid as it can (Possibly as a 'fuck you' to everyone who jumped on the FPS hate-train once they found out that the Columbine guys were big Doom fans, but I don't think their motivation for making it was that intellectually sound.) almost as if foreign, teenage versions of Drakoblare and Endmaster teamed up to make a video game after taking meth and playing Brutal Doom for too long.

8 years ago

Glad to see someone else remembers Redneck Rampage. The sequel had a couple of giant Jackalopes as the final "bosses." Both of those came with a soundtrack CDs as well.

Favorite old FPS was Blood (and the expansions) though. Probably my favorite FPS ever actually.

8 years ago

Not really because I can play them on a computer at any time besides some of those games have been released and look great on new platforms. 

8 years ago

Yup. Sadly 16 bit was just dying out when I started gaming. I got some weird Sonic the hedgehog controller with some sets console for Christmas when I was four. I don't remember what kind of console it was. But it was full of sixteen bit games. (including sonic duh!) This just game me a nostalgic overload. ); *sniff*