Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

Don't know how much people are into observing their surroundings or human behavior, but I've noticed something.  There are 2 kinds of people. 

Group 1:  If something doesn't work or goes wrong, the immediate response is to keep spamming it over and over again thinking it will work.  This person goes up to a door and hits the handicap button but the door doesn't open.  Their solution?  Keep hitting the button because it has to work.  The person cannot accept that it could be broken.  They will keep hitting the button, look around for someone for help, or look for someone/something to blame. 

Group 2:  Something doesn't work or goes wrong, they keep moving.  Same scenario, they hit the handicap button on the door because they are too lazy to open it up themselves.  The button doesn't work, so they immediately write it off as inoperable and will find another way.  They don't look around to see if anyone else notices this 'terrible' thing.  They say to themselves, 'shit happens, what good does standing around do for me?'. 

Which person are you and be honest with yourself.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago
I'm the kind of person who hits the button, hits it again to make sure he didn't just hit it wrong, then moves on.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

Varies.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

I'm the one who opens the damn door themselves instead of using up time and energy pushing a handicap button that someone who actually needs it could be using.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

This was the reply I was waiting for!!! You win!

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

Dammit, I was editting in the whole Cave Johnson rant with buttons instead of lemons...

2 kinds of people

8 years ago
...lol I use it cause I'm lazy and everyone at my school uses them for no reason because there are six doors right next to the handicap one but it's easier to press a button and keep walking than stop and open a door xD

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

I would never hit those buttons because I'm too much of a goody to-shoes that I assumed you had to be handicapped to even look at that button and would be a terrible person if I pushed it without having broken legs or something. Then someone fully able pushed that button and I felt stupid.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

Im the kind that spams the button for a few times, then moves on because he's too lazy to figure out another solution... But when it's important, I can make myself do it.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

I open the door myself, using the hands I was born with and didn't lose in some horrible accident. Unless it's in Disney World and I have a bag full of Doctor Who merchandise from Epcot, in which case I push the door open with my foot.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

What if you hit the button not because you don't know it's broken, but because it's fun? XD you test it once, then keep doing it out of habit? Your hypothetical situation isn't realistic enough! I've seen buttons like this at Hungry Jacks (Australia's equivalent to Burger King), and usually I just open the door without it :D

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

I'm Group 3: the person that just opens the door and gets on with their life and doesn't mind little things. Sure, little bumps in the road might hurt, but that's what you've got suspension and cushioned seats for.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

In all fairness, the way he phrases the statement makes it sound as if the door is rigged to only open for people who hit the handicapped button.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago
"There are two kinds of people in this world: whites, and homosexuals." my friend Mariah, who is a black straight female xD

Group 2.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

What about people who open the handicapped door manually? Or aks for help? 

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

Oof. Way to make a guy think. In all honesty, I'm not person 1 nor person 2; if it doesn't work, then open the door the normal way. Taking the easy route in life can often let you do things faster, but when the easy route is out of order and the repair-man isn't coming anytime soon, either fix it yourself or take the hard way.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

I was trying to see how many people actually refuse to press the handicap button, but if I asked it straight out, I think it would have skewed the response.  I'm with the group that refuses to press it because I was gifted with two perfectly working hands and arms to push a door open myself.  I also wanted to see how many people freak out when the button doesn't work and that had me thinking.  Could it be that the button doesn't work because perfectly able bodied healthy people push it every day so it is experiencing more wear than it should?

These are the things I think about when I'm bored out of my mind.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago
But, what if you hit the button for your blind friends because you can't open and hold the door for them yourself because you are carrying too many books?

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

Despicable.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago
I thought blind people could open doors themselves?

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

Only if they can find the doors...and the handles.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago
Blind people do not need handicapped buttons, they can open the darned door themselves.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago
+1 It is not like that is hard.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago
If they can find them. The sound of the doors opening, as triggered by pressing the large blue button, gives them a good hint as to where the doors are.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago
So that means perfectly disabled people in wheelchairs would have to hit that thing so hard that if they'd do the same to a human it would make the nose bone shoot right through the brain and hit the skull from the inside and then it would all turn into a mushy bloody brain cocktail in a nice and fancy skull container..

Cool.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago
What.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

You may be drawing the wrong conclusion from all this.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

I'm not even sure what conclusion he is drawing.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

Clearly that when something is improperly functioning, it must be struck with a force powerful enough to kill.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

O...kay?

And pardon me for my insistence on knowing, but what in the HELL is that in your throat?

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

Wish I could tell ya, but I don't have all the answers.

Probably a goiter.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago
So it's not a bunny?

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

Nope. No lagomorphs.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago
Normally, I would take that as an assurance that you haven't been swallowing small animals so that they block your airways and then tickling yourself, but your insistence on "no lagomorphs" sounds a little too specif- where the hell is Malkalack?

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

These accusations are getting rather ridiculous, James.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago
He's just interested in you and your maid kinks, and whether or not you're available to him as a partner. No really, it does look like you have a rabbit in your throat.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

Uh huh, except having small mammals lodged in one's throat is—at least, I believe—not very appealing.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago
Dear lord, don't make me post a link.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

I'm not into maids. Since the '70s, they've just gotten less attractive and more shifty.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

There is really no need to be in denial. You are a brilliant dragon; everyone will understand.

But, seriously, if you ate Malk, spit him up. I saved his life once...by urinating on him.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago
Precisely. Those disabled people must be very dangerous if they have to slam those buttons all the time.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

I was trying to see how many people actually refuse to press the handicap button, but if I asked it straight out, I think it would have skewed the response.  I'm with the group that refuses to press it because I was gifted with two perfectly working hands and arms to push a door open myself.

Does it matter if my perfectly capable body wants to push the door open vs. pressing the big blue button on the side? It sounds like you're implying that by refusing to hit the button and opening the door yourself, you're in upstanding person looking out for the handicapped. 

Could it be that the button doesn't work because perfectly able bodied healthy people push it every day so it is experiencing more wear than it should?

Probable but not at all likely. Unless this person is also bored out of their minds and starts smashing the button repeatedly, than sure. But regular people would probably just hit the button once or twice before moving on.

Personally, I never really hit the buttons. Not because I (pretend to) care about something as superficial as the wear on the button, but because I'd rather just push through the doors at my own pace rather than wait for them to slowly open.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago
I am that person that thinks: Wait, what button? I guess that most dorrs where I live don't have them, or I just never saw them, which is pretty easy if you are blind. I open dors the old way, like everyone else that can ... guess we aren't that laisy here?

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

I never use buttons, I punch the door down with my +100 holy gauntlet like a boos

But seriously I never see buttons like that.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

The only time I see those buttons is at my temple. However the only time they actually have the button on is on Shabbat. And I can't press the button because it's Shabbat.

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

Depends on my mood. If I'm in a bad mood, I'll pound the button to few times, just because I can. If I'm not, I'll hit it once or twice before ignoring it and using the door. But, I only use it when I'm carrying a lot stuff, so whatever, right?

2 kinds of people

8 years ago

I'm the kind of guy that tries the button once, if it doesn't work, I leave. Then I come back and blow up the door... 

2 kinds of people

8 years ago
I'm category 3. The kind of person who presses the button once, presses it again, presses it again to make sure it absolutely doesn't work and then smashes it.
In all honesty, I'd just open the damn door myself without using the button.