Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was accepted 1/15/2017: Sure
This feature was completed 1/25/2017: Done. 10 Pages now.

[EDITOR] Higher Minimum Page Requirement

7 years ago

You need at least four pages to publish a storygame... Is it just me or should that be a bit higher? Imagine someone posting a four page story, that would just be a waste of time, and it would be removed anyways (probably.)

I think it should be higher then just four pages for a minimum, it should be more like, ten pages at the very least. But mabye that's just me.

7 years ago

I'd be for a 20 page minimum.

7 years ago

That sounds reasonable.

7 years ago
I think it is fine the way it is. I remember one game having a 5 rating and it was only 3 pages. Can't remember the name though.

7 years ago
While it's a good idea, I can't see it changing anything. Good members who try to make good stories will make them regardless, and they'll be longer from 10 pages. And even with the current limit I've seen stories which have just 1 page with a story, and one link named "don't click here" or something similar, with a fiew pages of randomness so they could publish it. Besides, a 10 page story is in most cases not much better from a 4 page one.

7 years ago

Well, bad storygames are typically longer than 10 pages anyway. The terrible ones typically have less. A ten page or twenty page minimum may cause the person to consider writing it longer ir repel then from it. Like, "I hafta write THIS much? Alright... screw dis I'm quitting."

7 years ago

If they aren't willing to write a meaningful and average length story, then I don't think they should be writing at all.

7 years ago

They shouldn't. But who's stopping them? There isn't a foolproof way to do so yet.

7 years ago
Do you have any idea how many times I've repeated this statement to retard children? It rarely seems to sink in.

7 years ago

I see. I'd make an estimation of 65? That's a nice round number, isn't it?

7 years ago

500+

7 years ago

I'd say that's a bit too large.

7 years ago

Think of it this way, Zag...the great WC invasion contributed over that amount of 1 click storygames.

The "remove all storygames that are rated 2/8" unpublished around 500ish(?) storygames.

Is my number really that high when you think of it that way?

7 years ago

I think Seto's is closer. xD

7 years ago

Same xD

7 years ago

Sounds like a good idea

7 years ago
While I like the idea, it cannot prevent a two page workaround with 8 or 18 blank pages in it.

7 years ago

Then blank pages can not be allowed.

Of course, that can be avoided by putting a single letter in each page, but by that point I think most people would've quit.

7 years ago
Or Garbage text. But a blank page can be legit with Page Scripting, so...

7 years ago

Oh, I forgot about scripting. Disregard that suggestion, then.

7 years ago
I'm for this if it's simple to implement, but don't see a reason for 3J to bother if it's not.

20 page minimum seems reasonable if the idea is to encourage quality for readers, but, y'know...we should think of the forum community too and how many free points may be lost this way.

7 years ago

lol not wurf it

7 years ago

I say quality writing is worth more then a few points.

7 years ago

^ set higher minimum! Set higher minimum! *pumps fist into air* xD

7 years ago

Definitely not worth it. Implement this!!

7 years ago

I like this idea as well. I'm not too sure on what would be a suitable minimum however, but twenty seems to be the preferred choice in this thread, so maybe that. 

7 years ago
As an aside for 3J:

If you do institute a page minimum, I was wondering whether you would want to make an adjustment to the story length formula. If say you make the page minimum 20, and that by all practical defaults made it so that the current formula would only spit out a 2 or a 3 in length as the new low, I feel like the length number would be somewhat broken. Or would we consider 1/8 length to be the same as an 8/8 maturity? An unacceptable and unreachable level.

EDIT: Replying to Thara, since I was curious if a different page minimum would make this simpler yet still achieve the desired goals.

7 years ago

I agree that raising the minimum page count is a way to reduce the amount of low-effort stories. However, I'm wondering if this wouldn't also make games with low page-counts, but high quality, like certain puzzle games that are published, impossible to create anymore. Also, if someone wanted to write a troll story, couldn't they just add some pages with little/no text to get above the page limit? 

Maybe it's an idea to implement a minimum word requirement instead?

7 years ago

that might run into the same problem, it would be easy for a troll to simply copy and paste  a bunch of words or type a word like "a" over and over again until they reach the minimum.

7 years ago

Those games will unarguably be deleted then. Hopefully. I have a 10-page quiz, and I don't think it's terrible. Okay, it's not that good. :S But quizzes would run into a problem like this - debatable page and word counts.