Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Recommend some storygames

5 years ago
I need at least ten non-featured games that are just as good as featured ones for a list I'm compiling. I have my own opinions on that but wouldn't mind some suggestions, there's still a lot of stories here I haven't read yet.

(Don't bother with stuff by Endmaster, Will or Steve, I'm already aware they exist thanks)

5 years ago

What tier of features games? More specifically, does this mean I can recommend games that are rated 5, or are you looking for games of a bit higher quality than that?

5 years ago
Games that are actually good that you would recommend to newbies. Ratings mean jack.

5 years ago
In no particular order, here's 6...

A Bard's Tale: If it was in any other category, it'd be easily featured.
AGOLAD: Yeah, I hate Kiel too, but it did make a good storygame.
Tower of Riddles: Fun puzzle storygame.
Solstice: (I know it's mine). Good storygame for younger users (or anyone, but it is a pretty clean story).
The Princess Pretty Series: idk, I thought it was a pretty cute thingy.
Also, your unicorn storygame is great. (Did you ever fix the battle scene?)

5 years ago
That one was unfeatured for a reason. #conductdetrimentaltothesite

5 years ago
Pugpup's ballad contest winner. Brad's ballad storygame. Ogre's frontier contest winner. Wibn's frontier contest winner. I liked your story, even if it was short, about the space hamsters that almost got eaten by a space bird in the opening scene.

5 years ago

5 years ago
I'm so happy everyone stopped suddenly ignoring this thread.

Some good suggestions so far, thanks. A few I already had but some I didn't. I'd forgotten about that thread of Endmaster's so that will be useful. Not sure how Ducky Park slipped my mind for instance.

5 years ago
Also, you can never go wrong with the pursuit of princess bosom in Cliche Adventures.

5 years ago

I would also suggest Wild Billy by Bucky.

And I think there was some post apocalyptic story Ogre did that I recently read again that was alright.

Move over Will

5 years ago
Well damn I'm definitely modifying my list to include brand new masterpiece THE SEA TRIP .

It's like the Magellan series, but better in every possible way. You can tell because of the capital letters!

Amusingly, the first Magellan game is the only thing this person's ever read in their three days on the site.

e: they gave Magellan a 5/8 lol

Move over Will

5 years ago
I am the master of that game. I know because I got an "equetor suit."

Move over Will

5 years ago
A true master just doesn't pick up the items and gets the escape link instantly.

Move over Will

5 years ago
Sounds like SOMEONE wasn't able to solve the amazingly complex puzzle enough to find an "equetor suit..."

Move over Will

5 years ago
Wow. I like to think this was a deeply metaphorical piece how a failure to grab opportunities for material wealth when the opportunity is presented condemns oneself to inevitable failure, immediately or otherwise... I never achieved such poetic justice in my stories :)

Move over Will

5 years ago
Just tossing Mayana's review here to save it after the game gets deleted. She put more effort into it than the author did in the game to begin with, and the whole question of 'why is your brain so broken that you can't tell what a lazy and bad story looks like and what makes it different from a good one' is one I wonder about a lot. Like, a LOT.

On most keyboards, the caps lock key is just above the shift key. Please, make sure it is turned off next time you decide to write a story. I assume you know how to read; if you do, then you should've already noticed that there are rules about what should be capitalized and what doesn't. And I'm sure you've also seen those weird things we call punctuation. I know it's hard (it's not!), but please use them too.

I probably shouldn’t say this game is awful, since you’re most likely a young child and that’d make you cry. But, because I was a kid just a few years ago, I believe that most children can look at something like Magellan (which you did read), then at their game, and realize which one is better and what the differences are. If I compare your game and Magellan 1, I notice that one of them has better grammar, punctuation and spelling, is longer, has a plot and characters, has more choices that aren’t random and actually matter, has no items and is all around better. Guess which one that is? And if you decide to read more high rated stories in the future, you’ll notice that a single one is written with the author’s caps lock turned on, with no punctuation and bad spelling.

Unless you have a really good reason to use items, don’t use them. Here, you could’ve easily done without them, because using items to continue is pointless. The variables for days and food seem to be useless too, since you never used them for anything.

This story is far too random to be enjoyable. It seems that you were too lazy to write any other path than the north one, and so decided to just write some quick deaths and call it finished. If you felt bored after only a few minutes of writing (because I doubt you spent any more time than that on this short thing), then you shouldn’t publish stories anymore. Why should we like your story if you don’t even like it enough to put some effort in it?

No, the equator isn’t on fire, stop sleeping during geography lessons. And if it was, then a metal suit wouldn’t save you. Metal has very good heat conductivity, so if you put it in a fire, it would quickly warm up to the temperature of the fire and cook you alive. If your house is ever on fire, please get out of there as fast as you can and call the firefighters, don’t try this.
-- Mayana on 7/26/2018 10:53:25 AM

Move over Will

5 years ago
Wow. I just checked the ratings, and I don't think I've ever seen one like this: 16 consecutive ratings of ONE with absolutely no other ratings. Even the author didn't go in and give it an eight, it is 100% one ratings. Wow.

Move over Will

5 years ago
That's part of the reason I've left it up so long, I kind of want to see how long it goes till somebody ends the streak.

I think the author did give it an eight, twice, but both their comments are from before it was published and I don't think those show up any more.

Move over Will

5 years ago
Of course I'll really be impressed if someone can accurately explain the stats on that one:

Played 20 times.
Finished 7 times.
Rated 9 times.
Sixteen ratings of 1.

Now I can understand the 16 ratings of 1 because if one person plays it more than once and rates it 1 twice, that will show up as an additional rating. Does that mean that of the 16 ratings, those were from only 9 different people (the "rated 9 times?"). Did one person play it 7 times and continue to rate it 1 over and over again? But how does that explain the finished 7 times? Are the 16 ratings really from only 7 people? And then did those 7 people play it 20 times, but only made it to the end 7 times?

Sometimes I think those numbers are modified by a random number generator.

Move over Will

5 years ago
The numbers never made any sense but I think the number of ratings only update every so many minutes (or hours), and maybe some of the other ones are on a different schedule. Way way waaaay down on the priority list of broken things on the site assuming anyone is ever able to come and fix things of course.

Move over Will

5 years ago
I think I rated it three times; once while reading, the second one when I decided to leave a comment because I'm insane, and the third one when I accidentally closed the window and had to play through it again. No idea why it was finished only 7 times though, maybe it only counts certain endings as true ones or something?

Move over Will

5 years ago
Unpublished, the incredible 1/8 streak is over.

Whoever ileto is: what the HELL were you thinking.