WatchNon-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Message

Toss around ideas and brainstorm your story.

Legacy of Dracula's Castle (Progress)

7 months ago

It has been almost a year since the rumored death of Count Dracula at the hands of strange foreigners. Since then, the dark and foreboding Castle Dracula has remained abandoned and empty.

Some say that the castle is still haunted by the Count’s malevolent will. Others, that untold riches are there to be found within.

So far, none dare to actually go up to Borgo Pass and test the many rumors. Will you be the first?

---

Featuring:
  • Original Illustrations by MadHattersDaughter
  • Experience the story as a Vampire, Werewolf, Ghoul, or Slayer!
  • Engaging Tactical Fight Interface
  • Play it Straight or full on Deviant

---

A little ambiance…

7 months ago
So, I figured I'd try one of these Progress threads for my latest project, Legacy of Dracula's Castle. I'm not really sure what to do with this, other than post what I've got done (or plan to do with things) from week-to-week.

With that in mind, I'm shooting for something like Dungeon Stompage (complete with map exploration and round-by-round combat), but with a significantly more robust story.

As of today, I've got about 10,000 words in; and have completed an outline for the six major paths - which each present a different take on the overall story and offer a unique set of antagonists.

Each path is activated, based on the flavor of the main character (chosen at the outset) and certain decisions you make as you go through. You play as a 16 year old Romanian boy or girl and can select one of four vices: Envy, Pride, Sapphistry, or Deviance.

These lead to you becoming a Werewolf, a Vampire Slayer, or one of three types of vampires (think World of Darkness: Bruja, Malkavian, or Nosferatu clans). You can also end up as a lowly Ghoul, but that path is probably going to be the hardest to activate.

Dracula also has a small cameo in the game, but he can still fark you over - or kill you outright - if you don't watch yourself around him.

lastly, I've already acquired all the artwork and maps; and am really excited to show off MHD's work in the story!

7 months ago
I've been curious about this ever since you mentioned it. Didn't realize MHD was collaborating too. Dungeon Stompage but with a deeper plot and cool art? I'm excited now.

Is 'lesbian' an actual character class? because it looks like lesbian is a character class.

7 months ago
Aside from the fact that the PC has no class (snicker), yes.

To keep things manageable though, there are two girl and two boy archetypes to choose from. One is proud, one is envious, one is a lesbian, and one is a filthy degenerate.

(My goal is to write something worthy of EndMaster with that last one.)

7 months ago

Seems pretty cool with all the ideas you have in place along with MHDs artwork, should definitely be a popular one.

7 months ago
Been working long days this week, which eats into my writing time, but I got the groundwork done on the combat scripting.

With thirty one encounters, forty eight types of attack, and thirty four powers, it's a bit complicated - but nowhere near as bad as the combat scripting in Delve.

Can't wait for the weekend, when I'll have time to get back to writing out the paths some more.

7 months ago
Only you would call that just a bit complicated.

6 months ago
Today was a good day for writing!

Got another 2,000 words in; and at 80 pages, we finally get to see Dracula's Castle for the first time. I really hope I can carry this creative spark into next week!

Also found the perfect 'End Credits' music for the story (I realize I'm getting way ahead of things on this, but I think it fits pretty good) ^v^

6 months ago
I paused my phone playing Metallica to listen to this and for a second, I got really confused.

6 months ago
That's a pretty funny coincidence haha!

6 months ago
Thanks to a day off work and the Corona Virus prompt, I'm now over 16,000 words and 100+ pages in.

Almost ready to start writing out the areas and encounters in Dracula's castle - just need to wrap up one final hazard you meet on the way.

Now if you will excuse me, my daughter and I will be dropping paper airplanes (from a drone) on my unsuspecting town now.

MWUHAHAHAHAHA!!!

6 months ago
Just stumbled across this thread. For a solid minute I genuinely thought I was reading the blurb for season 3 of Castlevania. :p

6 months ago
I already binge watched that haha!

But this story is more Bela Lugosi Dracula, mixed with World of Darkness/Vampire the Masquerade, than anime.

6 months ago
Sounds awesome! ^_^

6 months ago
Pages: 145
Word Count: 19,370

Still plugging away and look forward to some good writing this weekend. Spent a lot of time, prior to this update, formatting a Character Status Sheet and more back-end stuff that allows things to work together like an inventory without actually using items.

Anyway, slow progress, but progress all the same.

6 months ago

Glad to hear you're making progress. It'll get done eventually!

5 months ago
Still working on this, but mostly offline in MS Word lately (I'll get around to plugging it into the story game sooner or later LOL).

Hoping to have a playable sample of the fight mechanics here by next week. The main fight page itself has over 10,000 words of On-Page scripting haha!

5 months ago
Took a while longer than I thought to work all the bugs out, but here's a sample of the fight interface. Let me know what ya think ^v^

Fight Sample (Test Platform)

5 months ago

Is the pic of the protagonist Drakillian?

Anyway, it seems like it's working, I didn't get any errors going through it a few times.

5 months ago
Wow, I see the resemblance now that you mention it haha! Totally not by design though lol.

5 months ago
I took a look at it and I really like the design; having multiple choices of attack and nice flavor text makes an otherwise repeated clicking of a button fun™!

I loved the mix between striking and grappling and enjoyed how the fight progressed into heavier and heavier punches being thrown. It felt natural, while still being randomly generated. I also liked the swiggly ~ line slowly going red as the damage added up.

Thematically, I don’t really get the difference between an ‘all-out attack’ and going ‘toe to toe’ as both would leave you standing your ground and banging it out. In the same line of thought, when opening the fight will an all-out attacking, the flavor details me throwing a simple jab, hardly throwing a flurry of punches and abandoning all defense.

Going toe to toe, while still giving the same text feels more natural with the jabs progressing into heavy haymakers and (very cool!) suplexes.

Also I noticed submissions like chokeholds and armcranks being used. I don’t know if it’s too hard (no experience with the scripting magic), but I would like them being used after he went for a takedown/suplex as then the fight’s on the ground, instead of it being randomly generated.

Maybe you could have a takedown/suplex result into a non-action for the opponent, leaving you a special extra choice the next round to go for the submission for a lot of damage.

Another suggestion would be to incorporate more defensive fluff to the attacks that didn’t do any damage. Instead of repeatedly hitting a shoulder or forehead, you could detail the punch being slipped, blocked or parried.

More balance related: I felt the counterattack option was the strongest, followed by the all-out attack option, while seemingly never winning with the toe to toe option. With testing of consequently smashing the one button, I got the following results:

AoA: 4/5 wins
TtT: 1/5 wins
Cou: 3/5 wins

Which shows the TtT is weaker than the other options. Am I correct in that there are no ‘hints’ that detail if the next round one option is better than the others? Some tells like, the opponents lowers his point of gravity, ready for attack, or the opponent leans back as to counter, or the opponent looks game, probably throwing everything back at you would further improve the whole thing.

All right that was my jumbled though process. I hope it helped. Also I didn't encounter any bugs in the process, if that's more what you're looking for.

5 months ago
Thanks for the feedback! I like some of your idea enough to consider how I might be able to work them in.

Later today I'll post the math breakdown between the 3 attack modes.

4 months ago
Sorry, I changed the math a bit and not ready to post yet.

4 months ago
Decided to add a very small ground and pound option off takedowns.

While I'd love to offer a full ground fighting option, it is just exponentially more difficult to include.

4 months ago
A small extra something is all it takes for immersion. And truth be told I don't get the minutiae of ground fighting in real life either, let alone how to implement that in a fun way within a textgame.

Keep on trucking, because so far it looks really good!

4 months ago
46,000 Words and growing.

4 months ago
Of course, 14,000 of these words are a single 38 page-long On Page Script. ^v^

4 months ago
I am so tempted to snoop on this, but I really want to avoid spoilers....

4 months ago
You could look in the Fight Sample in the Test Platform above, if you want to get the gist of how the ON Page stuff is working (without game/plot spoilers).

It starts on Page 30.

Of course, I've made huge updates to the fight pages in the actual game itself, but the foundations are the same.

Fight Sample (Test Platform)

4 months ago
I'm writing the story in past tense, but realized that I did the fight mechanics in present tense.

Firk ding blast!

Anyway, it's fixed now in the story.

4 months ago
Do you REALLY think anyone else would have noticed?

4 months ago
Prof Gower would have ;)

4 months ago
As of today: almost 111,000 words.

Currently I have one page that's so heavy with OnPage Script, that it noticeably lags. I can actually work around it by breaking it into two pages, which would reduce the load by one-third, but I sure ain't motivated to do that this weekend haha!

4 months ago
Who am I kidding? I can't leave that hanging like that!

(Changed it, and yes, it's now faster).

4 months ago
That's some nice progress from 20 days ago, dang. Glad the other vampire thing didn't distract you too much from this one, I'd have felt bad.

4 months ago

Maybe he drew inspiration from it. :p

3 months ago
Stupid "free" games derailing my time!

Other than that, wrote up a lovely little battle with a wearwolf that involves arms, legs, and other important bits being torn off.

3 months ago
Yay! Got the old creative surge back! Working on this again like crazy!

one month ago
Yep, still working on this and it has been a really productive weekend (in spite of not liking the way some stuff was written and nuking 32,000 words). Oh well, I'll get them back next weekend haha!

So as of right now, we're are at 133,000 words and just cracked 200 pages ^v^

one month ago
What it's like to be a vampire?

one month ago
Not working. :(

one month ago
Do the top ones (above) also not work? May be your browser...

one month ago
Yep... And that's why nobody likes Chrome. :p

23 days ago
Current Word Count: 147,800

Been another good weekend for writing ^v^

And the best thing about having one of these WIP threads, isn't when I get to post: "Look at how much I've done!!!" -- but rather how motivating it is to have it sink to the bottom of the forum, to the point you can't stand sucking so much anymore, and actually get off your ass and write something to finally adsress it lol!

Some more Vampy-type Music BTW...