Player Comments on Rogues

I think I've read everything in Rogues as it's currently published, and I've definitely read to every epilogue ending. Some general thoughts first and then some more specific.

As usual, Endmaster does a great job here at making completely different paths that all work as satisfying stories. I don't really mean the differences between choosing Klyton or Holgard but that different storylines are focused on completely different things. These range from vampires to gang wars to more individual or even romantic "rogue" plots (with Tanya, Annah, or whoever). Another author might be able to make each of these separate ideas work as separate stories, but here they all fit together in the same world and with many of the same characters, and none seems out of place once you've read them all.

The characters are another strength. Each has at least one interesting trait that makes them memorable, and the more important characters have more developed personalities and backstories. Depending on the paths, you get different amounts of this information for different characters (Sneaks, for example, can be a major character or someone you meet right at the end of the story. Same for Heather or, in a different way, Annah).

I think it is the Rogue himself which unites all these characters and storylines. His character is pretty consistent no matter what situation he ends up in- obviously not moral but never completely monstrous (even when a vampire), usually a loner even when he's in an organization, and without much tolerance for being bothered. These are the same kinds of traits as the Eternal and other Endmaster protagonists, and the fact that he can write similar characters so often and still make the stories so engrossing is a testament to his skill.

Some more specific observations:

1. My favorite endings were the most wholesome- when the Rogue ends up happily married to Annah or Yvette and leaves his life of crime. Oddly enough the ending with Ghoul Lisa fits here too (surprisingly sweet). My favorite Eternal ending was Eternal Bliss, so maybe I'm just sympathetic for this kind of thing, but it was nice to see the Rogue's life turn out in a "good" way, where he's happy and not doing anything too terrible.

2. That being said, Tanya was my favorite love interest. Unlike most of the others, she could clearly hold her own against the Rogue, but, unlikely Isabella, she had a vulnerable side too which made her a little more appealing. I liked Yvette a lot too, but she didn't get quite as much screen time as Tanya.

3. As I said, the characters were a strongpoint. A few in particular stood out as especially memorable- Warts started off as basically comic relief, but he ended up as one of the Rogue's only real friends in any path. Virgil the drunk priest was another good one, as he ends up trying (if usually failing) to be a good person and his scenes are entertaining, and Heather was another.

4. I thought I remembered reading that there was some connection between Rogues and the Innkeeper universe and Eternal, but if so I didn't find it. Fel was a lot like Dendrin, but then shadow gods are all going to be pretty similar.

All in all, another excellent story. I think Eternal is still my favorite, but this is a strong contender. I'm very excited to read about the sister's adventures.
-- pugpup1 on 7/25/2019 11:08:20 AM with a score of 0
Absolutely amazing. The writing is genius, the character development and flow of narration are perfect. And now for spoilers, which you really shouldn't be reading until you've played.

Endmaster from what I understand tends to usually write two types of characters: the wageslave loser who gets beat down vs the immortal tyrant who conquers worlds.

(Get ready for me to butcher and fail to remember names.) That is effectively the choice between Klyton and Holsgard(?)

In Klyton, all the paths seem surreal, but the main character is weak-willed. I know he's weak, but to just walk away while the girl he's escorting is raped and enslaved? I know she was a prick, but it just feels so pathetic when the mc is forced to do that. Things he could be doing right he ends up botching. He's not a badass, just a peasant trying to get by. People don't give him much dignity, he really doesn't earn much there. He usually ends up fat and feeding scraps to his family if they're not all murdered by the gangs that bully him.

In D Kingdom you get tempted into drug courier service and immediately get sold out, sentenced to prison without any out. There's no epilogues, no escapes, just dread. Maybe we'll see some of those guys in the sequel?

Finally, our last destination is way more chaotic. Any path you follow usually ends up with you being a huge dick, but also incredibly amazing. You can be a wizard's servant later a vampire, get sent back through time and act out what I think is a futurama episode where you kill your great great grandfather, annihilate all of your allies and betray almost every loved one and become known as a legendary "hero."

The problem I have with it is one town your a powerless shmuck usually with a sense of decency, the other you're a depraved monster with none. Though I have to say, I didn't dock points, since this is a matter of personal preference and not reflective of whether or not it was still a good game.

Fair warning, the game has excessive smut. In fact... now that I think about it... I don't think a single girl the main character hooks up with is "pure" save for, ironically, the succubus who doesn't seem to enjoy her first time. Heck, even the girl who is part angel dated a few guys, your adopted daughter played around when u mess up as a parent.

8/8
-- sersafir on 9/29/2018 4:52:46 PM with a score of 0
Well, I’m finally allowing myself to give a review since I’ve read everything. I’ll try to avoid spoilers for those assholes who read reviews before playing the storygame.

Also, holy cow. This is a friggen good story. There were also quite a few memorable characters which is not something I can say about many stories I’ve read here. Annah, Mara, and (of course) the Rogue were particularly outstanding (though I may be biased since they held my two favorite paths as well). The decades long semi-relationship between Annah and Rogue was fun. For some reason, I also really liked the arc with Mara.

One thing I liked was how the Rogue was just a dude. It sorta reminded me of Death Song’s protagonist. Of course, Rogue could rise to powerful levels, but he had to work (well, do Rogue stuff to be specific) for what he got. His selfish but somewhat principled outlook on life allowed the character to have a multidimensional thought process. He also had a “Screw it” attitude that fit quite well with the spelling and grammar errors. Why? The author said, “Screw it. These bastards shouldn’t complain about some grammar crap when they have half a million words to read.”

As for the branching, it was an interesting setup. Within the first few clicks, the reader has placed themselves on one of three major pathways leading to 12 epilogues. Often, a choice might seem right at first, only to lead to a premature ending (though not necessarily death). I think Ground Zero had something similar if I remember correctly. (Semi Spoilers approaching.) Straying away from the path’s “theme” (like choosing to get rid of your ghoulfriend) ends the story. Other times, something seemingly small (like choosing to flee from the party or to hide in a room) leads to very divergent paths.

The paths also interlock. (Screw it. Here comes friggen spoilers.) I got to the Mara path before I did anything in Holgard. Thus, Sneaks mentioned how his old Thieves Guild boss had “feelings” for his “daughter”, so I thought to myself, “Huh, EndMaster’s put in his normal references to debauchery. Ok.” Later, I made different choices which led me to Holgard and met said father-daughter duo which was very fun to experience as it was happening. I often wonder what happened to so-and-so character if I choose a path where we never cross paths. Does Tanya (I think that’s here name. The demon girl.) become a succumbs if I never interact with her? What happened to Mara if I was never there to help her? I’ll have to pester you about those questions eventually.

I’ve seen one person complain about the limited choices of the paths. He’s dumb. There’s a ton of choices. Yes, many lead to immediate death, but many don’t. Btw, death by getting eaten by faeries (or was it sprites?) over a week was my favorite death. The vampire endgame choice that had the Rogue torn in half was hilarious (since he was alive and complaining).

As for the Epilogues (SPOILERS!), a few stood out. Epilogue 10 was the badass one (since the Rogue killed two major criminal organizations, two religions, a cult, an invading army, the leader of another religious organization, a bunch of random women like some psychotic Jack the Ripper dude, had a ton of sex with a succumbs who fell in love with him, killed/outlived just about every named character during that story arc, and made friends with Warts). Damn. Oh, and the Epilogue extension was awkward, funny, and totally EM levels of screwed up (though I saw that coming the moment the incident occurred). The other would be Epilogue 12, my favorite. He was just a “normal” rogue and he fell in love with his childhood sweetheart. Then, he reconnected with his father and had twins. It was so sweet. :)

Anyway, this was incredibly entertaining to read. Thanks for all the effort you put into this, EM. Rogues is truly an epic. This’ll be one of CYS’s staple storygames… Eternal(y).
-- WouldntItBeNice on 6/21/2018 7:41:56 AM with a score of 0
seeing as I just finished reading through all the paths, I'm excited to say this story is one of the most diverse that I've had the pleasure of reading. Endmaster seems to have a way with words and worlds that always seems to suck me in. anyone that has an appreciation of fantasy worlds, will enjoy this immensely, so If ya haven't read this yet, I'd ask ya to stop reading this, and read the frikin story.

onto the spoilers!

one thing I am actually disappointed in was the fact that the DK was an option to go after killing klint. ya get there, and get sort of recruited by the ECS, but then you just get caught and killed no matter what. it felt like Endmaster wanted explore the DK and the ECS, but after building all the other paths decided that was enough and just left that path hanging. that was going to be that last place I went, but it didn't go anywhere unfortunately.

A similar thing happened with seemingly minuscule choices. an example would be when Isabella kicks Rouge out of his Holgard tomb. he leaves, but we never explore what happens next, which I'm sure him being an immortal vampire and all, he could have done some sort of exciting stuff. Just look at Isabella, she lived through tons of countries rise and fall, she saw the beginnings of the ECS! what would Rogue have seen or been apart of? and thats just one example.

Okay, done with the criticisms, so for those who managed to read through my rant, I got lots more complements, because I gave this an 8/8 on the rating thing despite those two issues. this story is extremely immersive, so immersive I'd say that it's easy to become invested in all of the characters and romances. even some characters that got basically no screen time still seemed to seem interesting. the baroness is an honorable mention for me, because even though I personally wouldn't want to go to one of her parties, it was still a spectacle to read. warts was my favorite non-romantic interest character, because of how he always seemed to be there for Rogue, no matter what crap Rogue would give him. also I liked his gift when he started working for the baroness, it made me laugh to think that Warts thought that Rogue would like it, even though he did.

on to the romances. my personal favorite just had to be Tanya, I mean, how could you not find it adorable that even though she is a friggin succubus, she's still a virgin. I know that she's only half succubus, and that she avoided sex just to not become one, but it still makes me laugh. also, I really like how she interacts with Rogue, and how their interactions slowly become more warm and open. it's slow (not story-wise, but in-world-wise), but works well. Tanya is an angel despite the fact that she's a demon, and you can't convince me otherwise.

speaking of angels, my third favorite romance (i'm sorry for skipping NO. 2, but this just flowed too perfectly on accident) would be Yvette, even though she is 1/4 angel, she's close enough that it counts. I don't have too much to say about her due to her not having too much screen time, but she's still an angel. The fact that there are also celestials in this universe make me so amazed, even though in a way it kinda makes sense. god's would have to have immortal servants, cuz the mortal ones are too fickle. Yvette is really sweet. I'm kinda sad that I had to lie to end up with her, but in the end, Trinity was totally worth it, the little children in this book are perfect (except for Mara when she was a kid) it's easy to get attached to them too.

number 2 favorite romance would have to be Zal. she's the only real competition in my eyes against Tanya, because even though she does come off as "a bit guiding," she always tries to stick by you. when I was introduced to her after Annah comes with Rogue, I instantly liked her, and I liked that she changed, and slowly stopped wanting to be a criminal. after the first taste of what I liked about her as a character, I actively searched for a way to end up with her, which makes me happy that that comes true in epilogue one, which by default due to this ended up being my favorite ending, even though Tanya isn't in it.

now that I'm done with that, y'all's can learn about my favorite endings.

as I said epilogue 1, Son of Innkeeper, is my favorite because Rogue ends up with Zal. What I did not say however was WHY else I liked it. one of those reasons was that it was so interesting to know that this story comes full circle with Innkeeper. he becomes a pretty decent person, gets married, has a loyal group of friends, doesn't have any targets on his back, and his family can be proud of him. most other endings can't say the same about many of these things. also, I find it funny that he ends up having to vote for Mr. Reynolds.

second place would then have to go to epilogue 10, Hero. this one makes Rogue out to be frikin amazing. he takes out 2 criminal organisations, leads his own, gets a succubus to fall in love with him, defends Holgard from an entire invasion, gets so in love with Tanya that he ends up killing other girls that he had sex with just because they were inferior to her in a literal and sexual way. warts somehow sticks by him, and he's one of the only main side characters that survive as long as Rogue.

also, honorable mention to epilogue 5, stability. this ending is great because ya know, Trinity.

anyone still reading this is crazy, but if ya did, congratulations! this story was amazing and rivals that of eternal on amazingness. 20 gold stars. Endmaster keep being an amazing creator on this website!
-- jcopman on 8/2/2019 8:37:00 PM with a score of 0
This is End's best work, IMO
-- RealKuriosIasoun on 7/28/2019 9:21:28 PM with a score of 0
My eye ouch
-- Brum_Brum on 7/23/2019 7:36:14 AM with a score of 0
Simply amazing. I truly enjoy all of Endmaster's stories due to their intense and diverse character development, colorful battle descriptions, excellent details and very strong and rather unique story lines. I thoroughly enjoyed this story and I look forward to reading more.
-- MeetaCheeta on 7/19/2019 3:52:36 PM with a score of 0
Incest is wincest!
-- Kingsmen on 6/30/2019 3:03:20 PM with a score of 0
I seemed to pick the prison rout but it just makes me want to explore the rest of the paths!
-- pk on 6/29/2019 11:32:31 AM with a score of 0
This is currently the best storygame on the site by quite a margin IMO.
I've been an admirer of EndMaster's work for several years now, and like many others have been impressed by the rich worlds, backstories, characters, and excellent branching to multiple successful endgame scenarios.

What's so much better about this one?

Well for a start the old storygame explanation notes that serve to inform the reader/player about aspects of the world, characters, etc are not here. While they can save some page space for those rushing through scenarios seeking successful endings, it's a clunky way of informing.
The way that all that information is incorporated into the main narrative (like a traditional novel) gives a significantly better reading and playing experience - allowing you to more easily become part of the world rather than an observer.

The sheer level of complexity in the pathway branching, recurring characters that are different on various paths due to when you interact with and influence them, and the widely different winning scenarios (12) make "Rogues" stand out as something special.
Of all the other games, only "Eternal" is in similar class IMO.

Another thing I noticed that seemed to elude some others is that your character behaves with more or less confidence partly based on how safely you play the game - the greater the risk, the greater the potential payoff - or risk of death lol.

Even the death scenes and various methods stand out as interesting and noteworthy in many cases.

Congratulations - you've lived up to your name and past work yet again!
-- Keyfor2050 on 6/23/2019 2:40:26 PM with a score of 0
Best story on this site 8/8
-- Allexa on 6/9/2019 4:49:16 PM with a score of 0
Update : just finished Epilogue 10 since everyone's been saying that it's the best ending in the game. Now i can safely proclaimed that this is the best game i've played from yours now...
-- RabbitSeason on 6/8/2019 11:51:56 AM with a score of 0
I went back to CYS after several years of hiatus and played this story. Reminded of Innkeeper i'm really impressed at how great this story was until i recalled that you've made several masterpieces before this (Eternal, Death Song, Ground Zero). Considering how Innkeeper is more of a story (with 1 epilogue) instead of a CYOA, i'm very happy with how this turns out! I haven't try other routes yet, but i'm happy that my first try gives me what i want from the start which is Epilogue 12. It seems that taking the safe route is my calling ever since i played my first game from you. 8/8, will definitely try again!
-- RabbitSeason on 6/8/2019 10:48:20 AM with a score of 0
No todo é realmente genial, mas senti que em muitos momentos faltavam opções. Ou você acertava a posição do autor ou morria.
-- Lucas on 5/4/2019 2:12:03 PM with a score of 0
PRAISE ENDMASTER
-- The_Broken_God on 4/19/2019 11:57:09 AM with a score of 0
As I read this, I saw a rather different EndMaster.

Ever since I was an invisible guest, I've always had a passion for your works. I still remember having fun with Ground Zero and all its radioactive humor. Through all the time, I had gotten used to this distinctive pitch-perfect writing style you employed in my favorites like Eternal and Death Song (TRASH and Love SICK included).

I didn't really expect you would produce another storygame, so realizing it DID happen I immediately played it. The first thing that struck me odd was the technical aspect. There were quite a few small typos, grammatical tics and such. From the very beginning, though, I was already hooked. It's probably like getting to watch Marc-Andre Hamelin from the 90's then seeing him perform 30 years after that time. A little flawed, but nostalgic, emotional, and powerful all the same. Classic shit. (SPOI-FRICKING-LERS AHEAD) I never even expected to have my views towards Annah change so much in just a couple hours' reading. I saw the damned badass Gruz in Zal (whom I wish could've stayed longer). By the end of it, I felt the same thing when I conquered Eternal long ago: satisfied, empty, drained, and craving much, much more.

Goddamn. Goddamn and a half. 8/8.
-- AgentX on 4/15/2019 10:18:18 AM with a score of 0
Excellent! Loved the story telling and explored all the paths (I think) and a whole lot of effort went into making several believable long paths (and lots of short deadly one!) Definitely one of the best stories on the site that I have read. And I also agree with the R rating, some of the violence and sex is more on the explicit side but not too much so.
-- Robert Harrison on 2/25/2019 12:54:18 PM with a score of 0
So far I only got one epilogue. So amazing and emotional, now I want to play all 12.
-- El Rei D. Sebastião on 2/23/2019 9:47:21 PM with a score of 0
good
-- msae32 on 2/21/2019 1:38:11 PM with a score of 0
This is easily the best storyline I've ever read on this site. I highly recommend it.
-- FoxRiver on 2/21/2019 1:28:03 PM with a score of 0
I've played this story multiple times and my favorite one has to be becoming a vampire. My only problem is how short the kingdom story line is so short compared to all the others.
-- Algae on 2/12/2019 8:05:34 PM with a score of 0
Hero of Holgard is the best ending in this period. I'm not gonna say why, but you have to get it. Its... let's just say it's very... different and you also finally find your true love.

10/10, 8/8, GOAT.
-- Kayobro123 on 2/5/2019 4:13:03 PM with a score of 0
DANK!
THIS IS EPIC
-- Veritas on 2/2/2019 3:10:55 AM with a score of 0
You should make more
-- Reywalker786 on 1/23/2019 8:56:39 AM with a score of 0
Spent a solid 12+ hours going down branching paths in the game. Gotta say epilogues 1,9, and 10 are my favorites. I love Vera but god damn I love my sister too.
-- Altjc on 1/19/2019 9:06:58 PM with a score of 0
could not leave this one for later, had to finish it in one reading. absolutely amazing.
-- kingneal on 1/7/2019 12:17:58 AM with a score of 0
Great read, well developed characters, interesting story arc, leaves you wanting more.

-- DoorsareBullshit on 12/27/2018 2:16:53 AM with a score of 0
Whatever happens don't use your gun :D
-- saniuri on 12/20/2018 9:34:53 PM with a score of 0
Is there going to be a continuation? I liked it but the sudden stop with the prison thing kind of was an upset, really looking forward if there is more!
-- Callarson on 12/19/2018 7:56:58 PM with a score of 0
P.S.
Isabella is the best waifu.
-- Cricket on 12/19/2018 1:15:48 AM with a score of 0
This story is awesome.
I love how every choice I made (and I made every choice) led to a unique path. Even the unmarked endings were generally entertaining. There were a few typos here and there, but not enough to be significant in a game of this magnitude.
Another thing I noticed and appreciated was how, although the main character changed with time and the choices I made, he always retained his core traits that made him who he was.
I look forward to reading the additional paths in the future.
-- Cricket on 12/19/2018 1:03:32 AM with a score of 0
A story to rival eternal
-- Waylaand on 12/15/2018 8:35:27 PM with a score of 0
I like how you have no choice in sleeping with your “adopted” daughter. 8/8
-- Austinc on 12/11/2018 11:22:51 AM with a score of 0
Goddamn, what a masterpiece
-- TSeriesDestroyer on 12/7/2018 2:04:44 AM with a score of 0
A very interesting read, I tell ya. I would definitely recommend this to someone.
-- Shiftedcontrol on 11/25/2018 9:30:45 PM with a score of 0
Tis story is good story.
-- RandomAnon423 on 11/21/2018 1:16:53 PM with a score of 0
Fantastic!
-- emay182 on 11/19/2018 11:18:33 PM with a score of 0
This author continues to make stories that keep me coming back fo more. Never a disappointment and this one upholds the reputation. Great story!
-- Yinin on 11/15/2018 1:51:08 AM with a score of 0
Brilliant! Over the years if reading these choice books I have never laughed so hard as I did while reading the events during the curing of the curse. Maybe I'm a little perverse myself and that helped as well in the strength of my connection with the main character. I'll be starting over immediately to take another route though I doubt it could ever be better than this, my first go round. Again, brilliant! Thanks.
-- PhillySpartan on 10/28/2018 12:31:04 AM with a score of 0
Great story overall. I finished paths 8 to 12. I highly recommend to play this. Very smooth pacing(besides some exceptions), memorable story and characters, deep and I'd say well-thought universe. Surely for mature readers. No kids allowed. Following are some spoilers. To the first time reader, I highly recommend you play this at least once before proceeding.

About the Protagonist. Depending on the path, he ranges from absolute badass who destroys religious cults and criminal organisations to a complete victim of circumstances, unable to act on his own free will. The most badass path is the one in which you become a hero of the town(9 or 10). Great foreshadowing on that path, especially with that revelation in the end (YOU ARE NOT DONE YET). It was even foreshadowed in its adjacent path, in the end, when your character is visited by his sister in the island. I knew i had to replay to see what would happen in the other path (that damn vacant room). I also enjoyed the path 12(?) in which your father comes to you and gets your rogue ass back home so you take up responsibility.

In some other paths, I didn't like how your character was completely shuckled by someone else. The specific path i will refer to, also felt very forced. Enter path 8. You become enslaved (in its loosest definition) by a wizard. You meet a girl. Her personality is described in 2 paragraphs maximum. Your character is in love with her. Your character decides to do something stupid to become free. Shit goes bad, he becomes a vampire, achieves nothing, and lives the rest of his eternity with someone who the reader cannot in any way relate to. Annah was more relatable in those introductory pages, and she was annoying. And in most non epilogue endings in that path, which were due to leaving Lisa behind, the character's end seems very uncertain (Ground Zero semi-ends). Funny thing is, that end is better than the epilogue. Many loose ends left there.

I wouldn't like to sound harsh. Actually, if this story wasn't as great, I wouldn't mention what would otherwise be a mediocre path. For someone else, that path, could even be a complete (start, mid, end, structured storyline) story.

Also, some slight grammar errors, typos, and a few issues with wrong names in dialogues. Pretty minor, doesn't take away from the experience.
-- Acuallyisnick on 10/25/2018 11:14:23 AM with a score of 0
SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!

Ok I just reread the Epilogue 10 path and when I got to the orgy party part where he fucks his sister, I couldn't believe how much foreshadowing you actually put in there. I mean really, both of them remembering that time when the sister walked in on him jerking off, and then that one line about Vera and not wanting to fuck a sibling?
That was fucking brilliant.
You are a gosh darn genius. In a very incestrous mind-blowingly twisted way
8/8
-- MegaUltraChicken on 10/11/2018 11:38:43 PM with a score of 0
Good to have a happy ending in this game. I usually die quite a bit playing these storygames.
-- harrypotter on 10/8/2018 3:21:51 PM with a score of 0
This story has utterly floored me. The flow of the story in my opinion was captivating, especially the romance. I don't want to spoil anything for those that read so i'll just say it was both spectacular and heartbreaking. I usually don't like romance but this, this was mind-blowing.
-- Zomboy on 9/22/2018 3:00:24 PM with a score of 0
Hats off. This was an excellent story. 10/10.
-- Jimmy Carr on 9/19/2018 4:30:44 AM with a score of 0
Omg I got the ending where he f**ked his sister hahaha. Fantastic story.
-- nm13757 on 9/17/2018 4:47:24 PM with a score of 0
After finally finishing what I believe to be all the endings, I’ve decided to increase my rating by 1. I do believe that I chose as my first cluster of pathlines the most boring one (going to Klyton without Annah). Literally every one of those 6 (?) pathlines in Klyton with epilogues ended with the protagonist not having accomplished much of anything, and the plots were mundane and, in the scheme of things, quite similar. By contrast, the Holgard paths were much more diverse and interesting. As an additional criticism, I often felt that there weren’t enough choices. For instance, on the path where we rescue Tom and join the Crimson Talons, we’re forced to kill Tom no matter what. The game doesn’t even give us a choice of whether to do so. As another example, near the end of the Annah path (on Jicol), it said that Annah would be willing to go along with any decision we make, whether it be to join the ECS, leave Jicol, or for her to remain a full time mother. However, we aren’t given the option to keep her a full time mother. These are just 2 of many instances in the game where the protagonist makes key decisions without sufficient reader input. I understand that this is in the interest of actually completing the story and putting the narrative ahead of an abundance of choices, but it nevertheless feels like the reader doesn’t have much control over how the story plays out at times.
-- Victim on 9/12/2018 6:32:20 AM with a score of 0
So far I was almost raped by a gay pedophile, forced into years of being a familiar to a wizard, then being a submissive fucktoy to a vampire, to having a submissive fucktoy as a vampire and a lot of other stuff happened.

...I'm just going to assume the rest of the "paths/epilogues" aren't like this, because this is much more VTMB and a lot less about rogues.
-- Celicni on 9/11/2018 7:47:16 PM with a score of 0
actually amazing, I absolutely loved it, I would def recommend
-- Nugget on 9/10/2018 9:59:06 AM with a score of 0
Nice ending but abrupt and a bit anticlimactic
-- kotor98 on 9/7/2018 4:25:30 PM with a score of 0
Amazing!The storyline is brilliant! A must read! But make sure you have a couple of hours in your hand.
-- Duke_Hauser on 9/2/2018 9:35:30 AM with a score of 0
maybe you should have expanded on the kingdom option more
-- MegaUltraChicken on 8/16/2018 7:33:45 PM with a score of 0
got epilogue 9, great shit
-- nm13757 on 8/13/2018 5:32:56 PM with a score of 0
I've loved most of the EndMaster stories and this one's right up there with any of them. Better than even a lot of the classics.
-- Ian on 8/11/2018 11:26:11 PM with a score of 0
Despite all the badassing and the violence all Endmaster stories are so classically romantic... this one almost convinced me of having kids.
-- Hav on 8/11/2018 11:59:51 AM with a score of 0
Finished reading through all of the epilogues, my favorites being Rogue Nation, Tales from the Crypt, and Blood Bond. Definitely liked all of the paths in that direction a bit more, but overall the entire story was an enjoyable read. Definitely recommended.
-- Havoc on 8/4/2018 8:39:58 AM with a score of 0
Nice game. Got Rogue Nation in my first try.
-- Nazhfa on 8/3/2018 3:18:03 PM with a score of 0
Just got my first epilogue (Epilogue 2). Maybe I just chose a bad route, but I can't help but feel that it was boring and that the epilogue itself was quite lackluster. Despite the incredible wordcount, the path still felt rushed and unsatisfying. Of course, I'm holding this story to a very high standard, given Endmaster's magnum opus, Eternal. I'll also mention that, at times, the dialogue doesn't sound very natural for a criminal underworld setting.
-- Victim on 7/21/2018 6:19:41 AM with a score of 0
That's strange. I just reached my first non-death ending, locked up in a Sivak prison, but the story ends really abruptly after I received protection from Ponyride. I was expecting to receive tasks from the Ebony Claws boss and eventually make an escape, and that seems to be what the author originally intended to do, but it seems that he decided to cut it off as a cliffhanger instead. I recognize that the rest of the story is probably much more exciting, but getting a cliffhanger as my first ending is really disappointing.
-- Victim on 7/21/2018 3:26:39 AM with a score of 0
this was incredibly satisfying
-- mammothe on 7/19/2018 2:53:52 AM with a score of 0
Warning: Do not read Rogues if you do not want to be caught up in an immersive world with fantastical characters. Seriously though, the characters (even minor ones) were incredibly enjoyable. From sexually confused landlords to overly sexually aggressive half-elves, (yes, there's a lot of sex) each character was interesting and their contribution to the story development made it a fun read-through. Sometimes I found myself break out in gleeful excitement in appreciation of how ridiculously entertaining the story was.

I read through a few different endings and it's clear that Rogues should be played multiple times. It's exhilarating to see the ending from different factions. After getting acquainted with the lore, it was cool to see what happened to possible friends/foes and that your choices had a clear effect on their outcome.

Definitely would recommend reading Rogues and it's a good referral story when you tell your friends about this site.
-- ninjapitka on 7/17/2018 9:54:23 PM with a score of 0
This another great story.it ranks right up there with eternal. Thank you for another awsome story. No hard feelings but this was better than innkeeper.
-- CheckMate on 7/14/2018 10:35:04 AM with a score of 0
So I just finished the game with the family ending, and I must say this is now one of my favorite story games on the site. To be honest I wasn't really a huge fan of Innkeeper, but I appreciate how Rogues goes in a completely different direction while tying in the events of Innkeeper. My favorite part of this story was the characters, I truly feel that Endmaster writes the most genuine and relatable characters on the site. There were many times that characters would do horrible things to the PC, but I still found myself loving them and wanting to read more about them. I also loved the ending I got, Epilogue 12, granted its the only one I've gotten so far so the rest could be garbage, but I like to think they're just as good. Anyway I loved Epilogue 12 because it was really a wholesome way to end the story of the character's roguish life, spoliers ahead btw. He marries his first and only love, has two twins with similar ambitions as himself as a child, finds a trade that he can apply his skills as a thief (in some way at least), and reunites with his sister after years. It really hits me in the feels and wraps up the story incredibly well.

Overall it was a great story and is a testament to Endmaster's incredible writing.
-- EdgeLord on 7/13/2018 12:43:39 AM with a score of 0
Came for the tsundere. Ended up with the GILF.

8/8
-- Flamenod on 6/30/2018 10:58:07 PM with a score of 0
Endmaster is the GOAT, amazing story telling and an
incredible amount of content, i could not stop reading.
-- Stanimal on 6/29/2018 3:35:56 PM with a score of 0
this was honestly the best chooseyourstory story that i have ever had the pleasure to read and play.Although i didnt really get the extended part of the epilogue though so i would like the author to email me and explain the ending, but still great story.
-- jacob on 6/27/2018 5:19:52 PM with a score of 0
This game had some spelling and grammar issues but never the less it was a very good game.
-- Unequalboot3013 on 6/24/2018 12:32:10 AM with a score of 0
I got epilouge 2. Is that good?
-- TheHumanCookie on 6/23/2018 5:34:35 PM with a score of 0
Fantastic, just fantastic in fact, like a wonderful melody carried so perfectly in our, the midsummer’s night breeze, a tune to the heart, one that will make many hearts race and beat with a drum of anticipation,
a story brighter than just the theme or genre of the fantasy or adventure subject and plot, it is a grand, a truly grand story, of life, oft small in scale and vast in its scope,
life that feels real, as enticing to us as it is involved to its character’s woes and tribulations, their plight and ascent into great personal legend, it is life in its many varieties, and trials, of character, troubling as mere obstacles and leading as fated choice, trials of choice and change, trials agonising and spoiling for choice as they may sometimes be to us... The sweetest of the bittersweet fruit and chocolate extract, the poisoned pistachio(?) ice-cream in a multitude of flavours. ...but I digress. Bear with me, for it is a long road we’re on, an oceanic one at that..,
with many such journeymen, what are as well traversing this at times bleak and oft kaleidoscopic realm of deeads cloaked in shadow,of artful illusions breaking realities’ mold, of noble sedition and hearty deception,
and many a fellow sojourner in our paths, are a prospecting “poet” and bard knowledgeable and appreciative in life’s great devices...being what they are...
It’s really hard to describe though without somehow falling back in on the vaguest of terms and descriptors... most inadequate to our tale of roguish exploits
it’s really not at all like I’ve(we, might’ve) been expecting, it is though and Definitively so, a pleasant kind of surprise.
I suppose I could say it’s really a more “realistic(?)” and Definitely engaging take on fantasy, a world and genre that we're ironically beginning to feel become a dull edge in our storytellers’ wares and tool-belts, an item of the repetitive to the point of mundane, if given poor or harsher management than is called for...
after all, no matter what the miraculous nature of wonders, amazement without substance and variety does wear off, and even miracles repeated enough become the norm of life, yet another casualty of the mundane experience in our existence, a life that could be as ever fulfilling, and as exciting as any adventure our life presents to us regardless of greater circumstances, ...the metaphorical roses we’re not smelling and fluffy clouds we’re no longer bother to notice, the stargazing we no longer carry on with...
And yet, sometimes, just a shooting star, a comedy or a trail of meteors, it’s enough, a story to inspire and grip at our attention with the best of strings...
A fading of the stellar dreams and hopes brought down to us to shine and failing, falling short yet again in of our vision and our mind’s reach... a fading that has become a reignition yet again, just leave it to EndMaster... and he’ll spin you a tale like you’ve never heard before, in the style of the old, poignant and empathetic to the heart of the matter, with a good hint of modern spices to bring shock and awe... a delicious and lively recipe that will make your emotive and intellective tastebuds buzz and light your most dormant of senses ablaze,
romantic even, you could say

— A
-- Almaz on 6/23/2018 4:14:54 PM with a score of 0
Finally finished reading through, ending at Epilogue 11. Man, this story was great!

What else can I really say? The grammar and spelling was all well polished and sentences flowed smoothly.

The characters were all fleshed out and cool, and each had their own developing arcs; even that bitch Annah!

I would have to say some of my favorite parts, in no order so far, was the confrontation with Flameflower, the inn owner who had relations with that T'ran'i fellow, and the whole bit with Zalmora was pretty cool. Not to mention the epilogue and the events leading up to it as well.

It's pretty interesting to see how most, if not all of your stories are connected in some way. While this serves as an action packed sequel to Innkeeper, which was more laid back in terms of adventure but was still an awesome story in it's own right, I am kind of curious to see what else you have come up with in the rest of the branches of this epic tale.

Well, probably going to go read through some more branches now. Great job End!
-- corgi213 on 6/19/2018 9:44:52 PM with a score of 0
Damn dude. Read two different main branches.... And damn. Ha sick man, just sick. Great story!
-- CagedShadow on 6/17/2018 4:55:48 PM with a score of 0
Endmaster's writing is like crack
-- 3iguy on 6/17/2018 12:50:04 AM with a score of 0
Naw discount my previous review. I forgot it was endmaster and he always has that choice system. Just forgot that there was a choice earlyish. Rip
-- ProminentPenguin on 6/16/2018 3:37:39 PM with a score of 0
Despite your strange fascination for very fucked up elf dominatrices (I'm sensing a theme). You bring yet another thrilling story to your library of already great stories. So let's get this review overwith:

Story: I fucking hate you... I really fucking do... You soak up all my goddamn time. This once I said to myself, "I'm not going to get into this story, I'm gonna detach myself and read it from a more literature based standpoint". But screw me, if I didn't get absorbed fucking immediately. Alright that's enough ass kissing. The story was very very good. The characters were definitely fleshed out, with a variety of distinct personality and lines of dialogue. I've noticed that this story is quite dialogue heavy when it comes to character building, which is a great way to chracterize if it is used well (which it was). The plot was nicely made with appropriate rising and falling actions. This review is based on the: "Welp, shit I've got kids now" ending. This ending was quite cute and ties the story nicely. At the beginning of the story, the reader is expected to be seeing his sister as a reoccurring character as she is one of the first charcters the reader meets. However this is not the case at all. Which makes it quite a nice little mixup, by putting, not only the character, in a state of "wonder where dat bitch went" but low-key forcing the reader to try to spot any dialogue or hint of the character's sister. Naturally making both, suspicious of the main romance character. Which makes it all the more powerful when she surprisingly does something nice.

Choices: Look endmaster I love you and all your excellent stories and want in NO way to impead your original intentions for a story buuuuut... This one could stand to have a more brancing path during the journey, especially more so then your previous stories. Now it's probably my fault for mostly picking ones that lead to death when I did try to "explore". Like I would be lying if I said I didn't want more story based on the little girl from "the wandering inn. Thing...place". As I got a bit excited for the whole endevour. I was gunned down in the streets by cops like a black man with Skittles when I talked to a priest. Also sure it's nice that some of the "branches" are well hidden But... And this is a big butt... Your other very successful stories had at least one pivotal, obviously story changing, choice near the beginning that impacted the entire story. For death song, it was a choice between mercenary and soldier. For Eternal, it was the choice to Beg, Die, or Stuggle. These choices even if one of the paths is considered "worse" (for example, lots of people liked the soldier path then the mercenary path in death song) the fact that they exist makes the other choices carry more weight early on, plus it helps to have some choices early on to help the reader define the character a little bit before the reader has a chance to learn about his character. If that makes any sense.

Grammer: I only noticed like, one spelling error. Nothing special. But some of the dialogue was a bit confusing I'll admit. With a story that's really dialogue heavy it really helps to have more clarification on who is talking. Usually with your other stories I didn't have a problem, but those were usually quick transactions between vastly different personalities rather then multiple paragraphs of dialogue between characters of similar interests. So it was somewhat confusing sometimes but thats the only REAL gripe I had with it. I personally perfer your style of characters talking without multiple "he said/ then she said". But putting one in during extended dialogue can help.

Overall: fucking gud m8.

This review is brought to you by MacDonald's because every time he posts a new thing, I come back to it like an obese child trying to new big Mac size.
-- ProminentPenguin on 6/16/2018 6:04:55 AM with a score of 0
Extended epilogue was perfect.
-- Jake467 on 6/16/2018 5:06:48 AM with a score of 0
I still think Innkeeper is my favorite Endmaster story.

Rogues is an incredible story, and it's difficult to distill it into a simple tagline. Like, one ending has you start a family owning an inn, and another has you deal with mythical beasts and wizard-priests.
It's like Suzy's Strange Saga, but taken seriously. It's really impressive that all of these tales can be put together and mesh so well, but I think the most engaging tales were the ones that led to epic showdowns and noteworthy endings. Which makes sense. A stable life is boring and simple. That's the point of it. Plus, Innkeeper managed that perfectly, and there really isn't any reason to retread the same story again.
Rogues is a great story, and I appreciate that it really does well as a sequel to Innkeeper. Klyton is literally filled with old characters. And living as a thief and experiencing the reputation the Dr. Innkeeper had just made it so painful to see how his son turned out, and how incredible he really was. Running an Inn in an Endmaster world isn't easy.

[I think my favorite ending was the spymaster route. And you have no idea what a scare I almost pressed restart before the last link haha. Couldn't be an Endmaster game without that though.]
-- A on 6/15/2018 5:01:18 PM with a score of 0
This is honestly yet another fantastic storygame by yours truly. Every single path, twist, and turn leaves no shortage of a rich and deep narrative that's accompanied by writing that can be considered iconic at this point from EndMaster.

I would go as far as saying that there was not a single path that didn't leave me dissatisfied as I reached the conclusion. So much attention to detail is woven into each page, with even the gameovers the reader can receive also being well-written and given care. Sometimes you never know if a choice is correct or will have ramifications later down the time, and it'a truly things like that which kept me as a reader at edge at times.

Once again, praise-worthy and commendable work as to be expected from a prolific creator of CYOA's that goes by EndMaster. I don't think I can stress enough and recommend this storygame to those that are aware or unaware of this writer's work.

And though this work gets my highest praise, one should really read this for themselves. Rogues ends up putting an interesting twist on the fantasy genre that things certainly feel fleshed out, and the world both lively, dangerous, and also ripe for opportunity. Whether you're simply looking for something incredible to read, or whether you wish to see a blueprint of sorts on how a CYOA can be made, this storygame is for you as it accomplishes both of those things.

Wonderful writing as always, EndMaster.
-- TharaApples on 6/12/2018 12:54:26 AM with a score of 0