Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Can you love someone you've never met?

10 years ago

http://drphil.com/articles/article/136

This is some research I'm doing for a project, so if you guys know any good stories, link me them, ok?

Well, anyways, I DONT think you can really love someone you've never met. You love the image of them. So if you say "I love tEtroplx898" you dont really love the person who is tEtroplx898. You literally love tEtroplx898.

tEtroplx898 isn't real.

It's only a name with some words attached to it. Now i'm not saying that you cant be friends with someone you never met in person, I mean, i dont consider myself "friends" with anyone i've never met. I consider them "casual buddies"

SORRY GUYS

And for all you know, tEtroplx898 could be some 19 year old with a sick sense of humour. Or a 82 year old who likes screwing with kiddies minds.

Only, I dont think an 82 year old could come up with a name as cool as tEtroplx898

10 years ago

Hmm, regarding this, wasn't there a film based on a situation like this, where the girl met a guy online, Hit it off, an met, and he was a pedophile and kidnapped her or something?

10 years ago

There was an RL thing on the news with a creepy old guy who wanted to have, uh, cybers*x with a little girl. They had a date and time when they were going to do it, and then... It turned out the little girl was actually a 20-something year old private investigator or something, and the old creepo went to prison laugh

10 years ago

Ha! Wasnt there a show on that stuff? Like they hired this 14 year old girl to surf the internet acting sexy and stuff, and then these creepy horny guys came over and the police busted them.

There was this like 70 year old guy who only wanted to bring over some "m&m's". And this guys who told the girl what she was doing was wrong, but when she said she was a virgin, OH I GUESS THAT CHANGES THINGS.

10 years ago

What does this have to do with "Can you love someone you've never met?"?

10 years ago
Okay.

10 years ago

So much anger. >.>

10 years ago

It's like asking how 1+1 relates to the equation of 1+1 = 2.  :P

10 years ago

dont hate on the 12 year old

(look at his bio)

10 years ago

Interesting... Still doesn't excuse the angry-picture though. lol

10 years ago

especially since cmitchle probably uses ifunny based on his profile pic

10 years ago

It was called "To Catch a Predator" and it was one of the funniest shows ever.

10 years ago

Gonna have to watch that then.

10 years ago

Is it better than that Wife Swap series? That was hilarious XD

10 years ago

I think most of the highlights of the show are on Youtube now.

It's basically reporter Chris Hansen trolling pedos with a jailbait looking girl (sometimes its a guy though) who says in a cutsey voice "Come on in, I made you cookies!" Then Chris comes out of next room and tells them to take a seat.

Then after sweating the pedo down with questions the pedo then leaves the house and usually gets SWAT TEAM FACE SLAMMED to the concrete even though the pedo is usually pathetically surrendering as soon as he sees the cops.

10 years ago

XD 

must watch. I'll be gone for a while. XD 

10 years ago

Oh god, this is hilarious. XD

(It's also terrifiying, since one episode occurs near where I live.)

10 years ago
There is a woman in China named Darth Eastwood and I love her. I've never seen her, I've never heard her, I've never talked to her or interacted with her in any way. I am however, madly in love with her. <3

10 years ago

Of course you can love someone you've never met! Love means treating people right. If you treat people you've never met with respect, courtesy, affection and stuff, aren't you then loving them?

Besides, how else do people in India manage to put up with arranged marriages? :P

10 years ago

I usually don't treat total strangers with affection and stuff. lol

10 years ago

I suppose a really needy/wanty person could fall in love with an internet identity-- I've heard that it's happened and some guy tried to commit suicide when 'the truth' was revealed. I dunno.

10 years ago

You could fall in love with their internet identity, or if they literally place every fact about themselves and are entirely dead honest, then yeah, you could.

Maybe.

10 years ago

According to the logic on any MTV program, yes you can love someone you've never met.

To those of you who don't know what MTV is, you've saved yourself a few brain cells.

10 years ago

"Mutated Television?"

10 years ago

Romantic love - impossible

Plutonic love - possible

10 years ago

Well I wouldn't encourage anyone to go out with someone they met on the internet, since you don't know who a person really is until you meet them IRL, but I did meet my best friend on the internet. I've known her for nearly eight yeas now and I've got more in common with her than the friends that I live close to, and we talk to each other pretty much everyday and I do love her to pieces... So yes, it's possible. ^_^

10 years ago

People who date others on the internet are the lowest of the low and no, you can't love someone you haven't met. Heck you can't even love someone you just met. That shit takes time, otherwise it's just being "enthusiastic" about it.

P.S: To catch a predator is the best show EVER! It also proves my point, look at the faces of those fuckers

You can love a stranger, but it's very dangerous!

10 years ago

Although Drakoblare said it a bit harshly, he is correct. It is a very bad idea to date someone over the internet, as it is incredibly easy to hide one's true personality when sitting at a keyboard.

Technically, it would be possible to love someone you've never met, but the problem is that the person may be the one whom you peak to, or it could be a completely made up persona. Don't gamble with your heart!

You can love a stranger, but it's very dangerous!

10 years ago

It also means he is someone so bad (socially, maybe has a bad personality or whatever) who can't get someone to like him when the PC is gone... or he is fugly.

10 years ago

Hmm, not sure about love, in terms of sexual and/or romantic attraction, but friendship is definitely possible. I'm friends with a small group of people that I originally discovered through a browser based game we all enjoy (although, not so much, any more, since it's basically dead). We keep in communication through a forumotion hosted forum and Skype, and we've all expressed voluntary interest in eventually meeting face to face.

10 years ago

I think it's possible to love a stranger.

10 years ago

What browser game?

10 years ago

It's called Herosmash. It's a sort of 2D superhero RPG with some comedy thrown in; made by Artix Entertainment, an indie browser based company.

10 years ago

Oh man, Artix... That brings back memories...

10 years ago

Haha, you're an old player, eh? What games did you use to play?

10 years ago

Not to be a dick, but they really aren't friends. Then again I guess the definition changes from person to person.

10 years ago

friend: a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically exclusive of sexual or family relations.

How do they not fit the definition?

10 years ago

"I DONT think you can really love someone you've never met."

Oh no? You really think appearance and physical distance carries that much weight? I disagree entirely.

My best friends are all people I have never met in person, excluding my fiance, who I met online and got to know over the internet for three years, and eventually we met in person after we started dating. We are trying to start a life together now and I have never loved or trusted another soul as much as I love and trust my sweetheart.

10 years ago

Well, I'm still confused on what this "met" really means.

10 years ago

I'm confused as to why people are saying "stranger" ... you don't have to meet someone face to face to know them. Honestly, I've seen plenty of people in person who I know literally nothing about.

On the other hand, my own mother doesn't know me even half as well as a guy in Denmark I've only ever seen on Skype. :P

10 years ago

Wow...

Wait, what's the definition of stranger anyway?  I know I can just look it up, but I feel like I'm to lazy erm... busy.

(YES I FINALLY USED THE CROSSED OUT WORDS!!                 surprise

10 years ago

Using personal experiences and opinions, yes, I think you can be. Just because you've never physically met them, doesn't mean you can't ever know them. You could do everything but physically meet them, and according to what has been said here, that means they're still probably trolls or paedophiles.

We have things like Skype nowadays, and I think since people are using the internet more and more, we do hear a lot about online predators, but also with that comes a lot of wariness as well. That said, you can't assume everyone who meet and happen to click with is suddenly a fat neckbearded dude who's going to ask you for nudes when they learn you're a 21 year old female. 

It's easier to hide yourself on the internet (cue blogs and personas), but people are capable to hiding themselves in real life, as well.