Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

Did anyone see the new 300.

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

Just as jacked up as the last one.

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

Nope, I have not. Should I? 

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

Oiled, buff men slaughtering clothed men led by a tall monolith of a man that doubles as a walking jewelry kiosk.  Your choice to watch or not.

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

How clothed we talkin'? 

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

Clothed like any sane Persian at the time.

So anyone see 300

10 years ago
Sounds an awful lot like my family reunion...

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

Your family is a family I want to be in. 

So anyone see 300

10 years ago
Well, you'd be tied with large chains and stripped of clothing as well as treated to free meals that don't taste very good. If your lucky you won't be whipped, but no one is THAT GOOD.

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

If I'm lucky I WON'T be whipped?

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

I didn't even know there was a new one lol. I liked the original just because of how badass the original Battle of Thermopylae was, and I liked that they made a movie about it.

What is the second one about? (as in what battle I mean)

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

I would presume it's about 300 soldiers(for some reason never including the other armies) holding the line against a seemingly endless army.

I disliked the first one and will likely not watch the new one since they ruined it by forcing democratic ideas into what was not a democratic culture. Sure, the greeks liked freedom and all but they still enslaved other people and there was very little freedom beyond being a male.

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

I always thought 300 was set in the Stargate Universe and Xerxes was a Goa'uld. It would explain why he had an army made up of strange looking creatures. They were actually aliens from other worlds.

I have to get around to seeing the new one at some point.

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

Naval battle of Salamina (Salamis). It is destorting history even more than the last one. What? You were pissed off by Spartans fighting naked like homosexual bears? Fear not, we shall make it up to you by having a woman lead the Persian navy, and of course not a single fucking name shall be pronounced correctly.

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

So I just came back from seeing this.

If you hated the first one, you definitely won't like it.

If you liked the first one, then you still might not like this one.

One of the problems is that they needed to focus on it either being a prequel, a sequel or an interquel. I mean it was fine to have a little overlap, but with a movie like this they really should've focused on one of the three.

The second problem is they didn't go over the top enough which was odd since it sort of set the stage for history to go flying out the window (which it did anyway) and they certainly had some really cartoonish things like Xerses' dad sitting on a throne of skulls (and a whole throne room adorned with them) but why hold back on having the monster factor like they had in the first one? Most of the battles took place on the sea so it really would've been the perfect time for the Persians to "unleash the Kracken" and have some sort of fishmen demons or something for the Greeks to fight. Instead everyone was just a boring human and they half assed everything.

The main hero was okay, but he wasn't anything special and that was sort of the problem. He didn't quite give off the larger than life hero aura that Leonidas did. Not to say he wasn't doing 6 impossible things before breakfast, but it was all just kind of "Okay, we see you're a badass, everyone is in this movie." (He does somehow ride a horse under water at one point though)

The female general had her moments and her armor for the last battle was suitably over the top with the whole dragon spine spikes in the back, and she was certainly blood axe crazy in battle, but I just got the impression they only had her in the movie at all to keep the homoerotic level at a mere 99% rather than 100% (The hate fuck scene between her and the hero).

Anyway, I didn't mind the movie, but don't go in thinking it is going to be better than the first, assuming you liked the first to begin with.

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

I agree. Admittedly I saw it with my girlfriend so wasn't paying as much attention as I normally would have but it just kinda seemed like an expansion pack to the original, not really its own movie... And I couldn't really get into the thought of the Athenians as the uber badasses. I mean, they had their moments in history, but combat was not their strong suit. The battle was based on history but... it just didn;t feel like it did with the original. Plus it bugged the living hell out of me when someone said he fought like Poseidon... Poseidon had nothing to do with battle damnit! >.< I mean, I see where they were going with it since it was a sea battles, but it should've atleast been Athena since she was the goddess of strategy... (I can see why not Aries the god of war, since he was the patron of Sparta one of their biggest rivals but still!)

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

When he said he fought like Poseidon, he probably meant that he fought like a god, but wasn't quite Aries material. It'd be like somebody boxing, if they were really good at it, but not the greatest, somebody would say, "Wow, you fight like Nelson Mandela!" as opposed to comparing them to Muhammed Ali.

Yup. Definitely.

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

It was . . . okay.  I guess "So Okay It's Average" would be my final answer.

I mean, you don't go into it expecting poetry, right?  That horse was pretty awesome, though.

The hero's defining characteristic is how much he fricking loves democracy.  Loves it a lot.  More than anything.  More than his best friend whose name they never actually got around to mentioning, and certainly more than the warrior woman.  It felt like a cheap attempt at pushing the "American pride" button.  Like, all he talked about was how Persia hated them for their freedom and because they had democracy.  Never mind how historically, Athenian democracy was only for free white men who owned property.  And the Athenians condoned slavery.  Also, Persia didn't want to conquer Athens because they hated democracy.

I hated that sex scene, too.  Utterly misogynistic.  Why would the badass warrior girl whose backstory involved copious amount of rape decide that she wanted to be sexually dominated by the opposing force's general?  300 didn't have a scene where Leonidas and Xerxes had semi-consensual BDSM.  "All strong women secretly desire to find a man who can master them" is crap.  

That horse was awesome, though.

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

Woah. Welcome back!

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

Welcome back.

Is everyone returning?

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

Pretty sure something big is happening in the Admin circle. 3J hinted to something a week ago or so.

Welcome back though!

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

I didn't see the old one or the new one. I was surprisingly totally uninterested in both. I'm not sure why. I love historical battles, particularly ancient history, but yeah, I just... eh. *shrug*

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

I don't think I should see it because i've seen the first one and literally pissed me off with all the CGI and sex.

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

One sex scene pissed you off?

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

It determines on how strong it is, if it is but a mere hug or kiss, I can deal with it.

If it is the full on get in the shower sex thing, then I switch off the movie.

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

Didn't you watch Terminator? 

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

Yes, but that's..

Well, I guess your right.

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

I agree, the overdose of CGI was kinda stupid.

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

Oh, I can deal with the sex. 

So anyone see 300

10 years ago

Can't anyone above the pubescent stages deal with it?