Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Who is Considered the Best writer on here

9 years ago

I'm just curious.

9 years ago

Endmaster.

If you want more varied results, you should ask top 5 writers.

9 years ago

Interesting, I thought his name was going to come up. That is the man i will surpass!

9 years ago

I think he sucks actually.

All his stories have like two choices per page and most of those lead to death. Sometimes you can't win at all. He swears too much, puts too much sex and violence in his stories for shock value and most of his protagonists are sociopathic homophobic assholes. Why would I want to play as someone like that?

We should be praising writers on here that write stories with REAL choice like Berka, Kiel and Madglee instead.

Plus he talked about sleeping with my mom and called me gay!

9 years ago

Apologies, I forgot to switch over to my coins account.

9 years ago

Hahahahahahahahahahahahah

9 years ago

*Slowly claps" Well done.....very well done

9 years ago

Very, very well done my friend. Even the Torites are laughing.

9 years ago

If you were to switch to a coins account you would have just slapped a meme onto the page.

9 years ago

You're a spectacular story teller. That cannot be discounted.

9 years ago

I AM A SHIT COVERED TRANNY PEDERAST 

9 years ago

Endmaster has some spectacular stories. I am the best writer, however, if we look at actual skill at writing. Endmaster is a much better story teller. And JJJ is right up there, too.

9 years ago

Didn't even consider SindriV, who has(or had?) loads of his stories up on the Featured list?

9 years ago

I, don't, personally think that any of SindriV's stories deserve better than a 7 (if that). I'm not sure why they're so highly rated. I really like SindriV a lot, but in my opinion, he's a better mechanics designer than story teller.

9 years ago

Eh, I haven't seen many CYS writers do a Western Comic style of storytelling, so maybe that's why I hold him in higher regard?  Well, that, AND his impressive designing skills.

9 years ago

He's very prolific but in my opinion, his characters are underdeveloped and his stories aren't very immersive. I also don't like the usage of a series of CYOAs as that means that it's got a linear overarching plot, even if there are multiple endings in a story. That medium is inherently restrictive.

9 years ago

There is no good writer in the world, nor is there a bad one. There are competent writers, mediocre writers, incompetent writers (I swear, they always have these really awesome ideas! They just don't quite have the skill to flesh them out.), readers, dismissers of literature etc. There is no "Good" and "Bad" when it comes to such things, except so far as opinion.

9 years ago

Endmaster is good I guess but his stories lack depth. Mousepaw is where the shit gets hot

9 years ago

COUGHETERNALCOUGHNECROMANCERCOUGH

9 years ago

Not sure what anybody else thinks, but as far as mediocre dumbshits go, I'm the best writer out of all of them.

9 years ago

Hooray for egotism!

9 years ago

Just to be serious for a moment...

On a personal level I find that it's best to stay grounded in reality when the subject of best writer comes up or when something like naming the top stories is concerned. Even more so if you've got a lot of highly rated ones.

I'll give you an example.

There are some deviant art folks that draw fairly well enough where they get a horde of "followers." This in turn boosts the artist's ego. And because this is the internet this inflates it even more.

Basically the artist becomes this minor internet "celebrity" which really doesn't mean shit because its the internet but its enough of an ego boost for the artist to feel important and generally start acting like an egotistical douchebag who starts believing her own hype.

The artist then gets a horde of haters because hey its the internet and where you got fandom, you also got hatedom (and trolling for the lulz!).

By this point the artist's ego has gotten so huge that it's become like thin glass and any criticism is enough to crack it at best and completely shatter it at worst. The artist starts lashing out at every single negative remark, calling for her "followers" to help her, becoming a drama queen and generally melting down when the negativity gets too great. (Leading to hilarious forum posts and threads)

So I won't actually say I'm the best writer or even bother to defend my stories for possible replacement whenever that subject comes up. I mean I like what I've written, but realistically  I can't very well expect everyone is going to like it so I just have to leave it to each individual to either enjoy or hate whatever I wrote and accept the praise or cruel frothing condemnation of the internets.

9 years ago
I like what you write! But I don't like Eternal because the main character kills everyone! I hate him!

9 years ago

Most EndMaster protagonists are into killing lol

9 years ago

The example you gave us like anti-you. A female, egoistic artist who cries every time she gets a hateful comment.

9 years ago

The sad part is, Endmaster is correct.

I just wish I could find a hilarious example...

9 years ago

I think Encyclopedia Dramatica had some examples of the worst prima donna artists over there.

Most of them break down and DELETE EVERYTHING when the trolling really gets strong though.

9 years ago

DevianArtists in general seem to attract lots of unwanted attention.

9 years ago

In addition:

The field of the arts is a place where it is best to maintain fairly equal usage of the left and right neural hemispheres. Be creative, let your thoughts flow relatively unchecked, but be sure to maintain a sense of logic. If something doesn't quite make sense, you go back and fix it, right? When someone criticizes something, try to understand them and improve your further writing. If you are being randomly hated on, ignore the haters. If you are trolled, troll the troll. I've noticed that when I start doing this, it for some reason makes a lot of trolls become friendly (if you don't go overboard), as if you've proven yourself worthy to them.

As for people who criticize your works, weigh their judgment with your own. If its not something you want to do, then don't do it! I've seen quite a few people give in to that trap. Hell, even I have, more than once. If masses are glorifying your work, that doesn't mean everyone likes it. You may think its absolutely horrid and want to throw it in the trash, and that's all well and good because it's your work. Listen to people that actually want to help you and have good advice, not haters and trolls that have no greater desire than to demolish you. If you want to stop, then stop. And for Satan's sakes, don't think you're fucking Zeus because your work has a bunch of hype!

9 years ago

And don't let your fans own you either. That's what brought about the general decline in Supernatural's quality, and that other show...

9 years ago

What other show? 

9 years ago

OMG SUCH A MISOGYNIST, WHY AREN'T YOU BANNED!?!?

9 years ago

He's a misogynist because he identified the artist as female? Grow up.

(On the topic of "ism"s, go ahead and call me a misogynist bastard for not being a feminazi, but I'm an equalist. cheeky)

9 years ago

Well, someone is new here. 

9 years ago

I understand you were messing around. So was I. Check out my conversation with coinz further up.

9 years ago

Wait, it appears to be gone.

9 years ago

What's cruel to you? :P

9 years ago

IF YOU FUCKTARDS DON'T VOTE FOR DEATH SONG I'M GOING TO FUCKING DELETE EVERYTHING THEN WHERE WILL THIS FUCKING SITE BE????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU DUMB MOTHER FUCKERS ARE ALL JUST FUCKING JEALOUS AND HATE ME AND I"M THE BEST THERE IS ON HERE!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

RAAAAAAGE! MELTDOWN!

*Flips table over and takes ball home*

9 years ago

But that wasn't your ball...

9 years ago

Now what are we going to use as a gag?

9 years ago

Just so everyone knows, I suffered a moderate concussion the day before I wrote my post. I finally went to the neurologist yesterday as things had not improved and the CT of my brain was negative, which means no internal bleeding/swelling. Which is good. Anyway, if I've been acting strangely (or stranger) than normally in the past 7 days or so, that is why.

As my cognition improves, and I feel like I've regained some lost IQ points, I'd have to disagree with my prior post. I don't find that there is a "best" anything, writer or otherwise. We have a lot of great contributions from a significant portion of the site. Some people are technically proficient, some are spectacular at character development, some are great at writing battle scenes, and some are just creative as all hell.

I certainly have no ego about my writing ability - which is good, but not honed - and even if I was writing daily and had an unpronounceable last name starting with a "P," I wouldn't consider myself the "best" writer here or anywhere else.

9 years ago

So is that why someone "hacked" you?