Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Do you believe in time travel?

8 years ago

I was just wondering how many people here think time travel is possible. Personally, I do, but it's super complicated how I think about it and impossible to try to explain.

8 years ago

I've traveled forward through time most of my life.  My grandparents live in the past and it's really sad.

Oh!  And I've gone an hour forward or backward depending on which direction I'm traveling at the time.

8 years ago

Well, in truth we all travel in time by one second, though we don't really notice it and dismiss it as time passing.

8 years ago

I don't get it.

8 years ago

I like your profile picture.

8 years ago

Thanks.  I know it shouldn't, but yours gave me a chuckle.

8 years ago

I've heard that even once we have the technology, a single trip would take more resources than the Earth contains so only time magic would make such a thing possible.

8 years ago
I met a wizard once who said he could send me into the future. He hit me over the head with a glass bottle, and when I woke up, two days had passed. So, yes, time travel is possible. It apparently causes you to lose one of your kidneys, though.

8 years ago

Time travel would be possible, yeah.

Not in this current state, though. Just now, people are developing hoverboards, and they only float two inches off the ground. ;-; If that's how hoverboards are doing, then we don't have a chance to launch the beginning of a time traveling device.

8 years ago

I'm sure they'll improve the hoverboards.

8 years ago

Most likely not soon. Maybe when the first hoverboards are released...

8 years ago

What exactly do hoverboards have to do with time travel research? It's like saying since we don't have self-driving cars, the state of computers is terrible, when no it's not.

So basically what you're saying is, once hoverboards reach above five inches will we then learn the secrets of time travel?

Thanks to the catapult that was the Industrial Age, the rate of innovation has never been faster in history, ever. So surely the hoverboards will get a couple more inches in the following years :p

8 years ago

Perhaps I was unclear...

Hoverboards, flying cars, time travel, etc. were what people usually thought of when they heard "future." So far, the hoverboards are the only futuristic items that is actually in the middle of being created. Time travel devices are also futuristic, so they could link together somehow.

8 years ago

Don't forget "flying machines." (Not just cars...)  Haha 

8 years ago

Hover boards do exist. At least one. What I wonder is why. The lack of friction makes them almost inoperable not to mention the energy required to pump air quick enough. Hovercraft in general is actually quite ineffective seeing that all the downsides plus the extra required training and expenses make it's cost grow about two fold (assuming you have it long enough) seeing that [air]leaks are common among such craft

8 years ago

Time travel would also be ineffective for it's uses, because the only safe action you can take with it would be going into the future and back to the exact nanosecondafter you left, to prevent yourself from fusing with yourself.

8 years ago

The new hover boards use magnetic fields.  I've thought of using the tech in my shop so that I can move heavy objects around with ease, but the cost of putting a layer of copper or similar is prohibitive.

8 years ago

There are still flaws in magnets too, such as a lack of direct control. The most you can do is turn it on and point it in the general direction. Plus they are dangerous for people with implants etc.

8 years ago
Have you ever read anything by Ray Bradbury. His stories included flat screen TVs, wireless radio sets that could fit in someone's ear, social networking, televised police chases, and a bunch of other things that were unheard of in his time. Of course, his stories also included jet cars, robot dogs that injected people with lethal amounts of procaine, hobos that took care of themselves, and animal themed surgical equipment and home maintenance systems.

8 years ago

Vaporized alcohol!

8 years ago
Or let a bunch of mosquitoes feed off a meth-head and then harness them.

/facepalm

8 years ago

Time = rate designated by some shit I can't be bothered to explain fully.

Travel = Distance/time.

In the fourth dimension, we travel one way through time in a three-dimensional environment.  Added with the theory of relativity (which, after a few revisions, is increasingly more likely to be true), and you can increase or slow the time that passes relative to you and another object.  Whether that bunch of physics lies within the fourth or fifth dimension is beyond my memory.

In plain English, you've been time travelling.

But no, you cannot go back.  Look that up if you're curious.

/facepalm

8 years ago

According to Carl Sagan's explanation, you'd only be able to go back to the point at which time travel was first used, no farther.

8 years ago

I was convinced quite a long time ago by Berkazerka that time didn't exist.

8 years ago

I do, in a way.

There are theories about light. The closer to the speed of light you are, the slower time goes by. If you can somehow reach the speed of light, then time basically stands still for you. If you somehow manage to go faster then the speed of light, then time rewinds for you.

But, I do doubt that being able to travel as fast as/faster than light is possible. Even if you could, then you couldn't stop. There are particles that travel faster than light, but even if the hit solid matter, they just go right through with ease because it would take more energy to stop it than to let it keep going. So it travels through planets, stars, open space, without hindrance.

8 years ago

Can't be fakked writing it all out. Yeah, I think time travel is possible. 

8 years ago
I'll tell you yesterday.

8 years ago

Sure, why not. Only forward in time though.

8 years ago

Time does not even exist. It is a construction of mankind to make sense of things moving in cycles. Time is irrelevant to mathematics (think frequency, not time), so it must not exist - 'cause everything can be proven with math (except time).

Ergo no time travel in the classic sense.

8 years ago
Thank you.

8 years ago
And souls, heaven, and God¿ And hell¿

8 years ago
Eh, what exactly do you mean by that?

8 years ago

People say god made man in his favor. But did man create god in his favour

8 years ago

Image, you mean?

8 years ago

Image. It would depend on the religion or mythology you're referring to. The flying spaghetti monster sure isn't in my image, but it's the spitting image of my dinner... on the other hand, I've seen more than one humanoid god / goddess. If you're referring to the entity sometimes referred to as the Judeo-Christian God, on the other hand, then no. Hollywood's portrayal is not canon and "made in His image" is not meant to be taken in that sense--unless what you're suggesting has nothing to do with appearance or actions.   

8 years ago

How dare you taunt us with your little upside~down question marks!   XD

8 years ago

No.

But who believes in aliens?

8 years ago

How couldn't I?

The universe is an ever-expanding realm. How could Earth sustain the only life forms?

8 years ago
Yeah. It's possible, I do it every now and then. Go to the past or the future - I quite like the future until approximately year 2400, things get a bit chaotic.

8 years ago

Time Travel ... hm.

Do I think it's possible? Yeah. Sure.

Do I think mankind will ever be able to do it in the ways portrayed in any science-fiction film, game, or book on the subject? Nope.

8 years ago

^This.

As I brought up in the old time-travel thread, going forward or backward in time (presuming possibility) would instantly kill any human that tried it.

Why?

Conservation of Momentum. Also breaking the Law of Conservation of Momentum (again, presuming possibility).

We are currently moving multiple millions of miles per hour. Disappearing from one point in space and arriving at another would cause catastrophic impact between our momentum and the momentum of objects in the new space. So even if we could cancel our own momentum, there is still the momentum of the other object. Our best hope would be to somehow match momentum and vector.

And that is if you end up at something at all. Earth has never been in the same point of fixed space in its entire existence - so... I go back in time and now I'm in space. Where's Earth? Way over there. Hope I brought a space ship with me.

8 years ago

You are the most convincing person here.

8 years ago
Now that I think about it, that basically discounts the entire time travel movie that had murlocs, because they specifically state it can only move in time, and not space.

So the time machine would just end up floating in space after a jump, lol.

8 years ago

Better yet, in the middle of something else like the mantle.

8 years ago

... Huh. You know, I never realized that. Guess the screenwriters never realized it, either.

8 years ago
Game Theory's take on Chrono Trigger comes to mind here.

8 years ago

Can I have a link to that please?

8 years ago

8 years ago
I can't get it for you right now. Oh, looks like Kiel already found it for you.

8 years ago

xD Sorry, took the liberty since I know Youtube hates you.

8 years ago
Thanks.

8 years ago

I can travel through time.

8 years ago
Yes, but for the love of God, can you please use threaded view?

8 years ago

I'd suggest finding whatever event made you snap and become such a flagrant, shameless racist and stopping it.

8 years ago

I do enjoy that Youtube channel quite a bit.

8 years ago

Same here!

8 years ago

I can't say I always agree with Matpat, but his theories are fun, right or wrong.

8 years ago
The one about Samus Aran's ability to contort her body ignores fact that, in the few instances where we get a decent view of Samus taking ball form, she bends forward, not backward.

8 years ago

Short answer: No.

8 years ago

I think it could be possible when humans are around a couple more thousands of years, because, even now, we don't know what dark matter is. It messes up gravity, and how does that happen if it's just nothingness? We've already been splitting atoms and smashing them and even FUSING them together, so why can't we make time machines?

8 years ago

Well, some kid in a puffy orange vest went to 1955 and nearly ceased to exist by screwing up how his parents met. But then he fixed it, and made his life ten times better.

8 years ago

That movie makes no sense. It has too much false info.

8 years ago

It makes sense if you watch it carefully... fifty times. 

But, it's still a good movie, no matter that it defies science.

8 years ago

He would never disappear from the picture.

8 years ago

I've vanished from family photos.  Why couldn't he?

8 years ago
Haha, so have I, but I don't think photoshop, GIMP, or even MS Paint existed at that point in time.

8 years ago

Before computers were capable of editing images and I couldn't make myself scarce, the pictures just mysteriously vanished.

8 years ago
Wait, so you did it?

8 years ago

It will forever remain a mystery...  *X-Files theme music*

8 years ago
Like Hell it will! Now, was it you or your family that edited/destroyed those pictures?

8 years ago

My family can't get enough of me, why would they dispose of the photos?

8 years ago
I don't know. But, then again, you never really told me what your family did to you.

8 years ago

They were violent, brutal and sadistic, and their moral compasses were either broken or they didn't know which end of the needle to follow.

And to your pre-ninja edit ... they don't own cellars, or I'd have trapped them in there...

8 years ago

So...average family? pretty bad?

8 years ago

He didn't... I think he didn't, I dunno, it's been a while since I've seen it.

8 years ago

He at least started to.

8 years ago

Well, he didn't disappear entirely. So, HA! It does make sense!

8 years ago

He shouldn't have even started to disappear, there is no way he would cease to exist because if that happened, nothing ever would be existent.

8 years ago

It makes sense, dammit! He would start to disappear because his parents never hooked up, meaning they would never get married, and then he would never be born.

8 years ago

But they did hook up, so it shouldn't have started in the first place. Why would he disappear if in the end they DO hook up?

8 years ago

I'm done, I think it makes sense (Because it does) and you don't. There's nothing I can do to change that.

So, bye. *Gets in DeLorean and goes to THE FUTURE*

8 years ago

In a movie about a time traveling DeLorean that's what you nit pick?

8 years ago

One time I baked a plate of fudge, ate it, then went back in time so I could eat it again. i did this 100 times.

8 years ago

8 years ago

That's three words.

8 years ago

It's possible. If you turn people into data, store them in a chip, wait a while, and bring them back out, it's like a time capsule. Though, they might wind up without a finger... Or a leg... Or a face...

8 years ago

8 years ago

How does one get turned into data, and how would that stop them from aging?