Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

What would you do in case of a nuclear war?

8 years ago
Hi,
If some idiot decided to newk the shit out of the world what would you do? Personally, I don't really know if I'd kill myself or actually try to survive. I mean, it might take decades before there would be some kind of sivilization, senturies until all the radiation and shit would fade. Within 5 years of it, I would estimate that the population of the world would be down to like a billion at the most, considering that the country that was newked would most likely respond and other's would get into it and you would end up with a world that's seriously fucked up. The internet would also be down and I'd probably kill myself just because of that, heh.

8 years ago

Pray to God I end up in a normal Vault and then live a normal life without some bullshit experiment involved.

But, being serious now, I wouldn't be able to do shit. I'm too fat, too dependent on the internet, and I just don't feeeeeeeeeeeeeel like repopulating, man. In the event that I get skinny, stop being dependent on the internet, and start feeling like it, I'd totally be like the Lone Wanderer (but without the badassness and near invincibility. And without the one-hit-kill weapons).

8 years ago
It's hard to answer that because of the amount of possible scenarios. How many bombs were dropped? What kind? Where? How was my area affected? What condition am I in? etc.

8 years ago
1 bomb - fuckin owned the whole world. glass is broken everywhere and most fabric is burnt up. you happened to be in your mom's basement at the time playing skyrim but it knocked you out. Stuff is settling down now and pretty much 99.9999% of people that were on the surface are ded. ground zero is the middle east which is now a radioactive sea. but it was a fuckin massive force - however it was environmentally friendly so it didn't fill the air with smoke and shit (dindu nofin with fire - just a hot shockwave). everything in plastic bags instantly expired due to radiation except Cheetos of all flavors and spicy nacho doritos. Doughnuts also didn't expire except jelly filled ones because the bomb had preferences. Most animals are alright except spiders, wasps, cockroaches, and humans (if you count humans as animals) - which are pretty much all dead.

8 years ago
To be clear, this nuclear bomb managed to somehow give my house a basement?

8 years ago
You got a problem with extra storage space and comfortable environment?

8 years ago
And the fact that it gave him a basement before it even detonated is pretty convenient.

8 years ago

Seeing as this nuke was able to give my house a basement and destroy all evil in the world while still being environmentally friendly and keeping the internet up, I'd ask God what he'd been smoking last night and then go back to derping about and slaying orcs in Skyrim. Yeah, my outdoorsy friends are all dead, but so are roaches, spiders, and wasps. My dogs are still here, and I've still got Cheetos, Pokémon, Skyrim, Destiny, Doritos, internet, cat videos, cake, and television. Actually, Ford's version of a post-nuke Earth sounds better than the current non-nuked Earth.

8 years ago
Disregarding the ecological niches that spiders and wasps fill and the fact that internet wouldn't last very long after the death of every other human, that does sound like paradise.

8 years ago

Honestly? I'd probably be dead. :P

I also find your spelling to be appalling. This is a writing site after all! All you have to do is simply right click the words underlined in red and click on the correct spelling.

Just some advice from an online stranger.

8 years ago

Well now I need a plan in case the world is nuked. I'd probably dig out my dad's old kilt, put it on, and screech Europe's "The Final Countdown" from my rooftop.

Or, if I actually want to survive said nuclear apocalypse, I will go full Subnautica and build a base at the bottom of Loch Ness. Or maybe just do what normal people would do and hug my dog and cry until I get over the loss of the internet before actually getting to all the standard survival nonsense. 

Actually scratch that I'd be dead within minutes. Probably due to falling down a flight of stairs and breaking my neck in the dark. Moral of this story: don't count on me to save the world in the event of nuclear war.

8 years ago
I'm gonna go watch MidnightPhoenix and hold a lighter up.

8 years ago

Assuming I survived the initial nuking? Couldn't be worse than your spelling. I'd try to survive and help rebuild. Having medical knowledge means I'm at least somewhat morally obligated not to tell society to go fck itself. I honestly don't believe this scenario will ever happen, but if I'm wrong and it does, I'll do whatever I can reasonably do to help.

8 years ago

"Having medical knowledge means I'm at least morally obligated not to tell society to fuck itself"

Or that you can reserve your services to those willing to provide you with substantial compensation, use the resources to gather your own small army, assassinate anyone with skills similar to or greater than yours (thus making yourself more valuable) and start recreating society on your own terms. Humanitarianism is hardly going to be the concern to anyone with a sliver of authority when they have a power vacuum to fill, so you may as well do yourself and everyone you love a favor and take advantage of the overwhelming opportunity to advance yourself.

8 years ago

And then you can hire people to shoot adventurers in the knee!

8 years ago

I know that's a game theory reference, but that's not actually a horrible idea.

@Kiel_Farren , after you establish power, you could gather people with medical skills and form a sort of doctor's guild. For anyone to practice medicine in your part of the wasteland, they have to be a part of the guild, meaning they pay you a portion of the money they collect from people. You can then discreetly send members of your guild into new territories, where they act as legitimate doctors for a time (establishing their reputation and decreasing suspicions), before you have some of your armed forces disguise themselves as raiders and attack settlements in the areas where your doctors are stationed, thus greatly increasing the need for medical care and, therefore, your revenue.

8 years ago

Try my best to survive for as long as possible. Screw everyone else.

8 years ago

Probably head down to NASA and see if they're looking for any volunteers for breeding programs in space :) Either that or find a nice cave somewhere and make sure I've got a bigger club than the other cavemen, though if society doesn't go back to the stone age I might look a bit silly...

8 years ago

Simple--survive. Gather supplies, distribute food, etc.

Pretty sure I can live without the Internet. o3o

8 years ago

Distributing food is going to be harder than it sounds:

To distribute food, you are going to have to have food. If you have food and people know you have food, then you are going to have to deal with the fact that many people will disagree with how you distribute the food and try to take control of the supply for themselves.

You could, of course, hide reasonably sized caches (different sizes, though: some for individuals and some for small families. The caches should only provide enough food for a few days, though.) in a lot of different locations and then, when you see someone who needs help, you watch them for a while and then leave an anonymous note detailing the location of an appropriate cache somewhere where they can find it.

In the note, you could say that you made the cache for your family, now dead, and that you expect to die within a few days from gangrene so the cache won't be any use to you. This will make your donation more believable and reduce the suspicion that there are more caches to be found.

8 years ago

You're all ridiculous if you think you can survive. The only thing you'll be doing is 

a) being incinerated

b) dying of radiation poisoning 

c) freezing to death. 

8 years ago
I think we're all following Ford's suggestion that the radiation only kills spiders, wasps, cockroaches, and 98% of the humans that aren't you; but, yeah, assuming the scenario played out exactly as described (I think) by the OP and following the laws of nature, we would be pretty seriously screwed.

8 years ago

Maybe about 7% of the world population, probably people living Iceland, New Zealand and parts of South America, I don't think a lot of us would be apart of it xD, especially me since i live in a major city.

8 years ago

I'd like to see how long anybody can survive nuclear winter. 

8 years ago

I'd rather melt to death in a nuke blast and then haunt the place than struggle to survive in the shitsack world that comes afterward, but that's just me.

8 years ago
Being a ghost after the apocalypse wouldn't be fun, though. Most of the people you could haunt are dead too.

8 years ago

But it'd be cool to hang out with other ghosts, though. Or maybe you could possess bandit leaders, start a cult, and take over New California? I mean, they can't shoot you or anything.

8 years ago
You make possession sound easy.

8 years ago

Not really, but assuming the random bandits don't have the means necessary to exorcize you, the ability to make people spasm and rave about you is definite cult-starting material.

8 years ago
Or, you could find a survivor who lost his entire family, collaborate with all his ghost relatives, then prank the shit out of him.

8 years ago

Not sure they'd approve of driving their last living loved one batshit insane for kicks. They'd probably have a ghost lynch mob sent after me.

8 years ago
You obviously have never met my dad.

8 years ago

Maybe if I run into an ant colony, I could possess them all (since they have tiny minds) and then communicate with humans by moving around scorched scrabble letters? If there's one thing the primitive leather-clad cullinder-wearing people of tomorrow are willing to kneel to, it's a talking anthill.

8 years ago
"Stompin' on ants, suckin' their souls, stompin' on ants, souls, souls, souls."

8 years ago

Assuming this was Ford's sentient nuke with preferences that wiped out civilization, I'd possess a wild animal should I die upon being nuked. Most likely a wolf, assuming wolves don't die out quickly after the nuke hits and it is possible to possess them. 

8 years ago
Why...would it not be possible to possess a wolf?

8 years ago

No idea. Species barriers?

8 years ago
Possible, possible.

8 years ago

no son = no plants

no plants = no herbivores

no herbivores = no carnivores

no animals = no us 

8 years ago
Whose son?

8 years ago

I was editing that when you replied, you pedant. 

8 years ago

Regardless, is there any reason you posted here, aside from wanting to stomp on everyone's sand castles (just be sure you don't accidentally stomp in one of Sent's possessed ant hills)?

Edit: I'm hardly the one being pedantic, Malk.

8 years ago

We have a pretty sizeable basement that, with enough conditioning, would make a decent shelter. Live in NJ, which I think is just barely far enough from a big landmark like NYC that the blast wouldn't get to us, though the radiation prolly would (where'd that website go again?)

Depending on who our presidential nominees end up being, gonna have to convince the family to pour some money into the shelter. Need some sort of air-purifier, lots of candles, weapons (hard to get guns in stupid jersey but we got knives), books (including religious paraphernalia) and canned foodstuffs, not to mention covering the ceiling with more concrete instead of whatever wood/mesh that it currently has. It's underground and walled by concrete though, which is why it's a good start at least.

So knowing my area literally no one else woulda bothered, which means if the nuke is heading our way we'd have to pick and choose who would stay, since the basement is fairly limited in that respect. So there'd be several factors as to who would be allowed in; good genes (ifyknowwhatimsayin'), valuables, age/skills, and people who can be trusted. It'd start-up small, but my family's pretty handy; most of us are physically formidable, know how to use rifles, have some sort of martial arts training and can prepare food, not to mention my dad's a doctor and I should be doing an EMT course within the next year, so we'd be ahead of the pack in a lot of ways. Also have LOTS of books, which will essentially be the essence of all knowledge in the apocalypse. So we'd spend several months or even years playing board games, singing songs, and generally being bored and helpless until we'd even try to see what's going on outside, where we might try to rebuild and start up, probably making some sort of Apocalyptic-Judaism sect which includes looting and killing everything for the greater good while waiting for the Messiah and/or death. We'll probably have an end goal of rebuilding Jerusalem or something that we'll prepare decades for, finally setting up a boat to Israel to see what happened to our holy land before yelling, "You maniacs... YOU BLEW IT UP!"

The above is wishful thinking. Bottom line we'll prolly die out anyway within the first couple weeks due to radiation poisoning no matter how we prepare, but religiously whatever Messiahs coming should already be messianing at that point so it's a tossup.

Movie I'd recommend is a little-known animated film called "When The Wind Blows." Wasn't amazing or anything, but I remember liking it a lot for whatever reason.

8 years ago

8 years ago

Yeah that's it. Assuming we get hit by China's current IBMs, it seems like we'd only be radiated if they (whoever 'they' end up being) bomb PA, but DC and NYC just barely miss us. Wahoo

8 years ago
Yeah, the only place around Arkansas that would be worth bombing would be...what...Dallas, Texas? Fallout would go West from there. So, unless "they" just decide to pepper the whole US for the sake of being fair...

8 years ago

The thing most people gotta worry about is actually nuclear winter haha. No clue how the environment will react to that kind of calamity.

8 years ago
That would be tricky, with the primary concern being nutrition, as Malk pointed out. Would mycoprotein be an option? Sad day when everyone has to live off mold, but it seems viable. I mean, fungi derive energy largely from the consumption of dead biological matter, which, in this scenario, should be plentiful.

8 years ago

Nukemap?

8 years ago

I'd thank God for giving me all the time in the world to work on my new mixtape.

8 years ago

Duck and cover obviously.

If anyone is interested in seeing the most realistic portrayal of a nuclear holocaust aftermath, "Threads" is probably still the best movie in this regard.

8 years ago

I would take my family and find the nearest bomb shelter. Also any weapons I could find for protection just in case other citizens try to take advantage of the opportunity.