Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Significant Injuries

7 years ago

Hello good people of Cystia!

I'd just like to start a friendly discussion with this starting question:

What kind of injuries have you collected over the years? How did you end up with them? How do they affect you now?

Significant Injuries

7 years ago
many paper cuts via paper. apparently unaffected because I still get them and neither learn nor avoid the same mistake - eventually, I suspect, I will die a death of a thousand cuts.

Significant Injuries

7 years ago

Back when i was about 11 i fell out of a big oak tree and broke my right leg, after splenting it with my shirt and the branch that betrayed me (thank you first aid badge) and finding a walking stick, i limped about a mile to my house where i was taken to the hospital.

Significant Injuries

7 years ago
I have some torn cartilage in my knee. It can heal, very slowly over time, but odds are it will always bother me a bit. Got it pivoting incorrectly during a basketball game in high school (so naturally I hate the sport now). How it affect me varies from simply "I notice it" to i have to push my knee back into a correct spot, to I limp around and can barely walk.

I have others, but this is the one that affects me the most.

Significant Injuries

7 years ago

I once split my chin open and i still have a scar from it. And once while rollerskating i broke my elbow.

Significant Injuries

7 years ago

Just regular scrapes and bruises.

Significant Injuries

7 years ago

A couple concussions from football and a lower back injury from deadlifting too much. Why did I do it? Don't really know. I'd never lifted as much as I was attempting to.

I tried to lift it and felt a pop in my lower back. It didn't hurt at first, but the pain soon set in and I was having a hard time moving. Basically, any bending was out of the question, and forget about sitting. Went to the nurse's office and called my dad who came down and brought me to the ER on the base. Thankfully I didn't do major damage, but I was clearly in bad shape.

What really sucked was that I had a competition to attend for the ROTC unit I was in, in addition to pole vaulting for track and field. I recovered enough to compete in both, but I didn't reach 100% until a few months later. Lots of yoga. Oh, and I used to ice it until I tried to do it one day and it hurt like hell.

There's also a small scar above my left eye. It's unnoticeable since it's small and covered by my eyebrow. Got that from taking a knee to the head during a wrestling match.

Significant Injuries

7 years ago
I cut my leg with a chainsaw.  It itches something fierce sometimes and scratching does next to nothing to relieve it.

Other than that, the only permanent injury I have is from slipping on wet monkey bars back in kindergarten.  I hit my chin on the top rung and bit my tongue in two.  It doesn't really bother me, but it left part of it numb.  The worst part was having to be on a liquid diet while it healed.

I'm covered in scars from various injuries, but they just add character.

Oh!  And ever since my appendectomy, hunger pangs feel like butterflies (nerves).

Significant Injuries

7 years ago

Oh that happened to a friend of mine (bit the tip of his tongue off.) they said they couldn't repair it because it would be like trying to sew ice cream together.

Significant Injuries

7 years ago
Aww man, that's too bad.  I knew a guy that lost half his tongue in a car accident.  They couldn't save his either.

Mine wasn't completely severed and healed up ... eventually.  The scar isn't even noticeable, now, unless I point it out.

Significant Injuries

7 years ago

I haven't gotten one that still affects me. Well, besides cat scratches by murderous cats on my wrists/hands/forearm/anywhere they can get at, and it gets really f****** annoying when people keep on asking if I've been cutting or start lecturing me on the value of life and whatnot. -_-'

When I was 6 I got two major injuries: one 6inch-ish laceration on my lower right leg, where I could see bone, and it was done with a rusty piece of metal. Still think I should've gone to the hospital for it, but apparently butterfly band aids and ace bandages were enough. Then I also got a gash on my head, that I did have to go to the hospital and get 2 stitches for. Got an ugly-looking scar on my left elbow from when I was 7-ish from going too fast down a hill on a scooter. Got a burn on my wrist, and the underarm on my left from marshmallows. Have a blister on my ankle from a 2nd/3rd degree sunburn I got over a week ago, and though it's currently not affecting me, it wasn't until day before yesterday that I could walk normally.

Significant Injuries

7 years ago

When I was young (about 5 or 7), my family went on a Surrey Carriage. We went down a high hill a bit too fast, and we hit a rock. My dad and sister flew out, while my Mom hit a rock and got a concussion. I, the lucky one, landed on the grass the moment the surrey tipped over in defeat. It nearly crushed my left arm, and I'm lucky it's still intact.

Significant Injuries

7 years ago

I've burnt my hands on hot pots and pans in the kitchen so much that I can't really tell how hot something is with my hands - for example: I hand my brother some food that can be held in the hands (burrito, fishstick, cookie, whatever), he screams and drops it and says "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT FOR?! YOU BURNT MY HAND!" to which I respond "Huh? It wasn't that hot."

Significant Injuries

7 years ago
That happens to me all the time.  I've worked around hot steel and other metals for so long (and have well-developed callouses because of it) that I don't even notice if something is just hot anymore, unless someone says "let me see that" or something similar.  Out of habit I tell 'em it's hot and that I should cool it first, but they invariably say "if you can hold it, then I can, too" or something similar.  It doesn't take 'em long to look at it, though, since I usually have to catch it before it hits the concrete floor.  XD

Significant Injuries

7 years ago

Not an actual injury, but my left ear is hearing-impaired because someone fired a shotgun right next to it.

Significant Injuries

7 years ago

I'd say it is. It's cellular damage that's impaired you in a noticeable way.

Significant Injuries

7 years ago

Ah. Then it appears I have an injury. Cool.

Significant Injuries

7 years ago

When I was just a lad, I accidentally jammed my penis into my left eye-socket. It went all the way through. They were able to pull it out of the brain safely, and give me a suitable eye replacement, but I've been fucked in the head ever since.

Significant Injuries

7 years ago

Got grazed by a 9mm. Still got the nasty bloated scar on my thigh too. Sister pushed me off the slide when I was a kid and still got a small knot on the back of my head from that. You can't see it though when my hairs a certain length