Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

print("Hello, World!")

4 years ago

Hello, sacrifical pawn here.

There is a distinct air of professionalism here, very intimidating for someone like myself. I like to write, but I would never call myself a good writer, by any means. I would like to know about some of your best work though. Perhaps not the most rated, but one that holds a special place in your heart.

Uhm, and while I am here, is there anything I should know?

print("Hello, World!")

4 years ago
>There is a distinct air of professionalism here,

....I can't tell if this is sarcasm.

print("Hello, World!")

4 years ago

Nope. 

print("Hello, World!")

4 years ago
In regards to your worry of professionalism *Ahem* PEEEEEEENNNNNNNNIIIIIIISSSSSSS. Now that we have that out of the way, if you like fantasy read Endmaster’s stuff including Rogues, Necromancer, and Eternal. Also, read Dungeon Stompage when you get a chance. If you like Sci-Fi read Achilles, Ground Zero, Marooned on Giri Minor, and Agent of Order. Zombie Stuff? Dead Man Walking. Puzzles? The Walmart Game. Frameshift and Spy Mission are also good.

I do realize I just dumped a shit ton of literature, however, you don’t have to read it all. Just read a few of those to get a feel for what the site is like. Poke around the featured story game page for awhile to get your bearing and you’ll be off. If it wasn’t clear, these are the cream of the crop and therefore you are not expected to write this well. Good Luck!

print("Hello, World!")

4 years ago
Definitely read everything that Lurkinator suggested, but don’t forget to read everything by EndMaster.

print("Hello, World!")

4 years ago

Thanks for the variety! I will probably end up reading all of it, hopefully.

print("Hello, World!")

4 years ago
Read The Price of Freedom. Particularly since unlike others, I provided a link.
If you're wanting to find some hidden gems that aren't already sitting on the featured storygame page, I have a helpful list for you of several that haven't received the attention they deserve.

print("Hello, World!")

4 years ago

I will take you up on that offer. I would really like to see this list, thanks!

print("Hello, World!")

4 years ago

Glad to hear we're professional around here.

Last I heard, we were basically a high school newspaper, but then again the random person that said that ended up throwing a tantrum after the special exposé we did because we value the TRUTH around here and we're professional like that.

print("Hello, World!")

4 years ago

Glad to see some people still uphold the truth. I don't know what they did, but what I DO know, is that I have to believe whatever I read online.

print("Hello, World!")

4 years ago

Of course, especially the wealth of knowledge that has come to be known as Wikipedia. 

print("Hello, World!")

4 years ago
>professionalism lol Welcome to the site. Read everything by EndMaster. E: Oh, and read my story TechNOIR since you're asking for our personal best works. That's the story I'm most proud of, though that's soon to be overtaken by my WIP.

print("Hello, World!")

4 years ago

I will definitely be checking those out, thanks!

print("Hello, World!")

4 years ago
Welcome to the site. Indeed, checking out the featured lists can get you top-rated stories and those are pretty much the ones that people do like here. If you're asking for personal favorites that we have written, I once wrote The Quick Dating Game and it is a bit short and quite silly, but I still laugh when I read it.

print("Hello, World!")

4 years ago

I could always use the laughs, I'll make sure to check it out!

print("Hello, World!")

4 years ago

Welcome. I think people here are only professional in their attitude, if even that. Just work hard and don't be afraid to revise when something's not working, or just ask someone for help. There are also a lot of useful articles on the site that will help you with the basics of story-crafting and game mechanics. Best of luck to you.

print("Hello, World!")

4 years ago

I just did a quick read-through and review of TQDG. It boggles my mind why this one has been rated so poorly, 4.86 out of 8. It really deserves a much better fate.

print("Hello, World!")

4 years ago
Thanks for the kind words, Bill! I do like it. I wonder if it's rated low because it's so short, because it doesn't have enough story and branching, or if people just don't get the jokes (or a combination of them all).

print("Hello, World!")

4 years ago

Welcome to the site.

Go down mizal's list. If you read Endmaster's fantasy list make sure you read Necromancer then Death's Song. If you've read Necromancer there is an Easter egg in Eternal for you to find.

Chris has some good stories. Check out his TechNoir story. He linked it for you already. I'd also recommend looking into his Dusty Fist series if you want something funny/ridiculous.

https://chooseyourstory.com/Member/?Username=mizal This is mizal's profile page. She has grammar help at the top of the text wall if you're looking to write or want help looking for grammar mistakes.