Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

v20190007 Update

4 years ago

Hi all,

Small update here:

1. All published stories will have a more accurate word count because the way that the word count is calculated has been updated to better handle line and paragraph breaks.
  2. Storygame length (/8) is calculated by a different formula.
  3. Made high-length storygames (6/7/8) much, much more rare. Note: this didn't properly go through and some published stories didn't have their lengths recalculated. This will be fixed for published games at some point (probably early next week) and all newly published stories will already be correct.
  4. The advanced editor storygame page will now open in a new tab instead of a new window (though this might be browser dependent). It has also been completely re-written so it no longer consists of legacy code. This should hopefully fix the timeout bug.
  5. Loading the game properties page of games with lots of words should now be much faster.
  6. Featured comments are now only worth 2 commendations (effective retroactively).
  7. The classic editor has been removed and all games have been migrated to the advanced editor. It's become too technically challenging to maintain two editors with a small dev team.
  8. Storygames are worth a LOT more commendations (effective retroactively).
  9. The formula for calculating the commendation worth of a storygame has been updated so in addition to the value being scaled up, the relative values also will change.

While the actual tangible output of this update is rather small, this was a slow one because a great deal was accomplished behind the scenes. A lot of code was deleted and a lot of code was refactored and rewritten in order to facilitate the above. In particular, porting the advanced editor storygame page out of asp hell was a challenge.

Because it involved a complete re-write of the advanced editor storypage page, this is update is inherently risky. While I tried to test thoroughly on my own, how these changes will run on prod is always a mystery. I'm almost positive that some edge case will stop functioning or some non-core functionality will be broken. Please diligently file B&P posts for anything you see. If anything in the core path is broken, we will rollback. We obviously don't want our core editor to be out of commission. My fingers are crossed! There are talks about eventually spinning up a test site that can be used to canary some of these features and that would be great.

Cheers,
3J

v20190007 Update

4 years ago
Thank you 3J, very cool.

v20190007 Update

4 years ago

lol if the overnight proc runs properly tonight, Endmaster will definitely be Avonic tomorrow.

v20190007 Update

4 years ago
Just left the editor open about an hour (about how long it usually takes to time out for me) and had no problems when I hit save. Safe to say the time out bug is squashed.

v20190007 Update

4 years ago

This is great news! I hope it stays that way.

v20190007 Update

4 years ago

This is not a small, unimportant update at all! This is amazing, thank you 3J! fixing the timeout bug will no doubt save us from plenty of sad noobs, speed improvements are always awesome, and the classical editor is just trash. And I'm not sure if this's the last result or the site is going to recalculate it some more, but damn, look at this! Marauders, 3038 Sages: 2582 Architechts: 2038 EndMaster: 1483 Wardens: 813 Wow. A huge turnabout. The boost the sages got from Thara and Minie's featured comments is smaller now,. But even if it wasn't, they could not possibly beat marauder; as it should be, since Ends in it. One thing remains the same, however. Wardens still suck.

v20190007 Update

4 years ago

Marauders, 3038
Sages: 2582
Architechts: 2038
EndMaster: 1483
Wardens: 813

Wardens are so trash. This is up to date and Endmaster earned his Of Avon for getting all of the additional commendations that come with storygames now. I do think some other old stories probably deserve commendations so expect those soon. As funny as it is that moving him from the Marauders to the Wardens would amost reverse their positions, it... kinda makes sense. EndMaster has the best storygames. Fullstop.

When we move forward with order reorganizing, while his individual commendations won't reset, his contribution to whatever order he ends up on will... stay tuned for more plans with that.

Thanks for the enthusiasm! It's nice to know that people are getting some joy out of the updates.

P.S: Check out the race for 2nd place in the Marauders.

v20190007 Update

4 years ago
I was once part of that race. Only Nycto stood between me and god. Now I'm down to #7 and stripped of my "Notorious" status. Inserts the writing equivalent of the Rocky training montage.

v20190007 Update

4 years ago
10. Bug Hunting trophy now a possibility for those that joined in the last 6 years

v20190007 Update

4 years ago
Haven't had time to process all this but the Marauders comm page is hilarious. Yeah bitches you're in first place right now but the way Endmaster is carrying you, lmao.

It's a steeeep drop from his 1483 to Wibn's 146.....

v20190007 Update

4 years ago

Makes sense. It’s like those evil overlords that just have little minions running about to do the menial stuff and get slapped around.

v20190007 Update

4 years ago

Are you also going to include the seemingly new policy of sneak deleting posts in one of these update of yours? The ones that makes your apparently newly developed vaginal muscles clench, 3Jasons? 

Was that already stated in one of the updates I missed reading? 

v20190007 Update

4 years ago

Grow up, Thara.

v20190007 Update

4 years ago

I think I grew up nicely to the point in which a single word doesn't send me into a hyperventilating, censoring and deleting frenzy.

Now if you need help, I'm here for you.

v20190007 Update

4 years ago

That's nice, thanks.

v20190007 Update

4 years ago

Anything for you, sweaty. 

v20190007 Update

4 years ago
Another great update! Thanks!

The word count on my story is slightly lower than what Scrivener says just the page text is now. At least it isn't artificially inflated due to the fancy formatting I had to painstakingly insert to make it readable on the site. Also, it doesn't look like it includes link or page title text in the new calculation? And it dropped from a play length of 7 to a 6 which still isn't too bad, I guess.

All in all, I'd say this is fantastic! Great job and hope you'll eventually get everything ironed out.

v20190007 Update

4 years ago

Also, it doesn't look like it includes link or page title text in the new calculation?

That's correct. I actually didn't even think to include that and it would be kind of annoying to do. The old calculation didn't either.

And it dropped from a play length of 7 to a 6 which still isn't too bad, I guess.

6 is the new 7 :)

All in all, I'd say this is fantastic! Great job and hope you'll eventually get everything ironed out.

hahaha me too, but I doubt it!

v20190007 Update

4 years ago
The fanfiction this inspired.

v20190007 Update

4 years ago

Oh my God!

v20190007 Update

4 years ago
@Multiverse