Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

New Addition (Kinda Sorta) With Lots of Ideas?

2 years ago
Hey there, I'm James, also known as Derek Metaltron. I did once join the site very very briefly years ago (not sure exactly when) when I was young and full of dreams. XD Anyway now I'm back and more determined than ever to get some solid interactive fiction up somewhere, and here is as good a place as any! I'm especially fond of doing gamebooks, interactives and exploration sims/discovery tours for some of my favourite IPs including possibly:

- Star Wars
- Doctor Who
- Marvel
- DC
- Star Trek
- Hitman
- Horizon (Zero Dawn/Forbidden West)
- Fallout
- Elder Scrolls Skyrim
- Detroit: Become Human
- Assassins Creed

And probably something original too if I can think of the right concepts!

My long term dream is to create a gamebook based on the Critical IF system designed by Dave Morris (who wrote Heart of Ice, Down Among the Dead Men and Fabled Lands alongside other things), but currently I am thinking of creating something straight forwards to start with, which is most likely going to be an exploration sim/discovery tour for Star Wars (inspired by the Shire Exploration game I found on here) and using inspiration from the Fantasy Flight RPG line that if things go well could eventually could become a full on fan gamebook. Maybe. I might bite off more than I can chew. ':)

Anyhoo, nice to be here and hoping I can do you all proud! :)

2 years ago
Welcome to the site, I do hope you enjoy your time here!

2 years ago
Thanks Ogre, I hope so too!

2 years ago
Welcome!

Or welcome back?

Fanfic hasn't been hugely popular here in the past, but I think that's a combination of younger or newer authors writing the bulk of it, and people just failing to make their work approachable by readers who may not be familiar with the source. Good luck anyway, looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

2 years ago
Thanks! I find it easier to create something when I have a pre generated world to understand and play in, especially if it's a big one with lots of possibilities like Star Wars or Avatar or Doctor Who. Never say never for something more original of course, especially if I opt to try one of the writing challenges for some practice! I happen to be 35 so I am definitely not part of the 'younger' group. XD

2 years ago

Welcome!

2 years ago
Thanks Whizzycat!

2 years ago
Oh, and if you liked the Shire game, you should rate it and leave a comment. I see the author online right now in fact, I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Giving feedback in fact is the quickest and easiest way to become a valued site member with all the fabulous prizes and fortune that come with that. Everybody wants to write and be recognized, but people who will consistently feign polite interest in the work of others are hard to come by.

2 years ago
Thanks for the suggestion mizal! I did leave a nice review of it a few days ago as it happens, but I definitely think checking out what works and what might be better and leaving the ever valuable 'constructive critique' is always a nice touch. :)

2 years ago

You joined back in 2016. You got banned from CoG from what some of us remember.

https://chooseyourstory.com/member/?Username=Derek_Metaltron

2 years ago
That was my old account, thanks! I wasn't banned from COG though, I still post there infrequently, I might have been temporary locked out for a time though (probably via voicing issues with Hearts Choice not having solid M/F romances I suspect) but no harm done.

2 years ago

Hey, @DerekMetaltron, nice to see you.  I hope you enjoy the stories.  There's many different types of diverse games here, and lots of great opportunities to explore different characters and experiment with all sorts of protagonists.

2 years ago
Thanks Gower! I think the diversity of game types is a good one and I do like the idea of trying things out - I especially am considering the idea of games with non-human protagonists (lizard people, aliens, driders, cute cats etc) so there's an idea for a possible challenge. But I am probably going to focus on my Star Wars Exploration style game for now I think.

2 years ago

Apparently you're an autist of some kind.

Like you wander around places asking if there's any hetero, male on female stuff going down in a story. And if it isn't the case, you take your business elsewhere after spitting in someone's face. Virtually of course. Lol.

Should fit in fine. 

2 years ago
Erm, no? I just happened to ask about M/F content on one site on a few occasions, I never got that angry about it. There’s plenty of interesting games being made via COG, romance or not (though probably way too many involving magic schools or dating supernaturals). To each their own I guess anyway.

one year ago
hello In the past, fanfiction hasn't been particularly well-liked here, but I believe that's due to a combination of younger or newer authors creating the majority of it and people simply failing to make their work approachable by readers who may not be familiar with the source. I wish you luck and look forward to seeing your ideas.

one year ago

bad robot

one year ago

I mean I am actually kinda impressed. It's very on-topic.

one year ago

On topic but just basically restated some of what Mizal previously said

does have a link in the period though

one year ago
It's a strange gimmick. I can't see the value in having bots post clandestine links into text. Who's clicking on them to make it worth the while?

one year ago

My guess it is mainly for SEO purposes as backlinks to articles /websites used to be a fairly significant factor in the ranking algorithm.  My understanding is that links are less significant today but somehow still factor in.

one year ago
They're not meant to be clicked, it's all for search engine relevance.

one year ago
Those are good answers. Thanks.

one year ago
Not a bot, it's the same Paki fucktard that doxxed. Whoever is banning him keeps neglecting to remove the link though.

one year ago

Makes sense.

I was guessing a bot simply because they simply restated, almost exactly, sentences that were used earlier in the thread. Looked like GPT writing to me. Sad that humans are reduced to being bots.

one year ago
Good point, and he did do that the first time too. Might be making an account and then using a script.