Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hi! Where Should I Start?

one year ago
Hi I am new here..
Was wondering what people's opinions are on where to start, like.. if you could start again knowing what you know
Where would you start?

Thanks..

Looking forward to the various responses I may get!

- Skizzard

one year ago

Where? Probably in the storygames tab.

Now to actually answer your question, if I could restart with all the knowledge I have accumulated over years of both activity and inactivity, then I would still start in the storygames tab. I definitely wouldn't start with the forums before getting my foothold in terms of reading.

one year ago

Welcome.

What wizzy said.

I would start exactly where I started the first time I found this site: I would start with what interests ME.

So my suggestion would be to start with what interests YOU.  You will get much more enjoyment that way, and if you are unsure, there are ranked and featured storygames grouped by genre.  Read some and find what you like.

one year ago

A bit repetitive but I also agree with Wizzycat.

one year ago

Wizzy, DBNB, and Yummy already gave the best advice. I'll be a little more specific, since sometimes it's hard to jump right in from the top. Generally speaking my advice would be this: Read first, then write, then hit the forums.

Reading first is pretty self-explanatory; becoming well-versed in the games around the site gives you a good feel for what the community is like and helps you figure out where you'll fit in. Writing next is optional; I wrote lots of reviews and my first two storygames before really becoming active on the forums, and I felt like that helped a lot with navigating them for the first time. The forums are best saved until you're sure you know your way around/have lurked for a bit, since like any community, there are a lot of obscure trends and community rules that a newcomer won't know about.

Reading advice:

Start with the featured games in your prefered genre, and then if you like a game, check out other games by the same author.

I strongly suggest leaving reviews on every game you play, even if it's just a couple sentences, particularly if you're planning to be active around the site. Authors appreciate reviews and helps other people get to know you. If you have the time and motivation to leave thorough reviews authors will really appreciate it; good reviewers are as appreciated and often more appreciated than good authors. Authors most appreciate specific and useful feedback; don't just say "good", say what specifically you thought was good and why.

Here's what I would call the "site classics", though as Wizzy, DBNB, and Yummy say, you know your own interests best.

Eternal is an epic-scope dark fantasy game, and holds the well-deserved title for most popular game on the site. One of my favorite stories, period. (That said, it's very long, and I don't recommend it if you're twelve.)

Dungeon stompage and Dead Man Walking are both by the same author; both are more game-like storygame with stats and a wide variety of playthroughs.

Writing advice: (if that's your thing)

• Read first. You'll have a much better idea of how to format a storygame after seeing what others have already done.
  • Start small. Don't sit down to write a 200k fantasy epic. For your first game, aim for something like 20k words or less.
  • Write what intrests you, not what you think will be popular. For one thing, you're probably wrong about what will be popular, for another, writing something you're not interested in is a surefire way to run out of motivation.
  • Have thick skin. Vivisecting authors in the comment section of their games is a favorite CYS sport, so be prepared to be bluntly told everything wrong with your game. The upshot of this is no one will give you undeserved praise, if someone says they like your game, they really mean it.

Best of luck! Hope you enjoy

one year ago

He hasn't logged in since. You put way too much effort into that.

I hope you at least save this somewhere for when an actual noob that will remain here shows up.

one year ago

For example @ChickenDragon seems to be a worthy noob that is reading some of the classics. Perhaps he'll find your advice useful.

one year ago

I would start by reading EndMaster's masterpieces, and then reading some of the newer stories and leaving detailed reviews. Then entering a contest and submitting a decent entry

one year ago
Same.
I am new here too
waiting for people to guide me

one year ago
Commended by mizal on 2/10/2023 7:59:40 AM
You're not making headway here, Syed Taqi. Tell Kiani that he spells "copyright" wrong as well, since there's no such thing as copywriting. For a proclaimed web developer, all your websites have navbar links that go nowhere and do nothing. Looking forward to the same garbage design made for noshak. I get the developer scene isn't so hot in Rwalpindi, but posting links to your dogshit laptop articles on a forum for writing english literature doesn't appeal to anybody here.

Perhaps 9sleek would benefit from being put on a blacklist of scam websites along with you and your business partner's name.

one year ago

I don't think he understand English good enough to get freaked out by this. Perhaps he'll at least recognize his own name? I'm not sure if he's capable of recognizing a reply though.

one year ago

A place that would benefit from your essay and writing links, would be the folks on the Choice of Game forums. A lot of them don't know how to write and are very welcoming to diversity.

one year ago

This is definitely a bot.