Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Best country in this world

11 years ago
What do you think? Who wears the crown? Many would say U.S.A.. I think its Canada.

11 years ago

Libya. Definitely Libya.  

11 years ago

In terms of policies and that sort of stuff, I'd have to say the Scandinavian countries rank pretty highly for me. In terms of the people, I'd say Japan (very respectful people), maybe Canada if their nice-guy reputation is anything to go by.

In terms of overall greatness, I'm going to have to say Australia. It's very similar to Canada if you compare both countries to the USA - lower crime rates, less religious crazies, more progressive, better national sports (AFL in Australia and ice hockey in Canada) and so on. Australia edges ahead because it's warmer.

11 years ago
I like colder regions over hotter ones.

11 years ago

Isn't this really opinion based? I mean, how do you really even judge this sort of thing anyway? It's true that some countries have lesser crime rates, like October was talking about, but it's not just those things that people will judge a country. How about military might? I'm sure a lot of countries come to mind when I say something like that like the U.S.A. But as I'm sure we all know the U.S. has some issues.

So, really, I think how people judge the best country in the world is based on their life views. It's true that other countries may be richer or just plain better in certain areas but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best country in the world. A person could live in Iceland and still feel that India is where it's at.

11 years ago

You're right, this is a subjective thread. To be fair, he did say "What do you think?" in the OP.

11 years ago

Ah, good point.

11 years ago

Somalia, no contest.

11 years ago

Any country where I am Supreme Dictatorial Grand High Pooba El Pedsidente Al La Mode.

11 years ago

The best country? I'd say there are two ways to measure this:

1. The happiness of its average citizen or

2. The happiness of its least rich citizen class

What other way is there to judge it? A country can be prolific in every way, but if its own people are unhappy there, it's not great at all.

According to this: http://www.happyplanetindex.org/data/, it's Costa Rica.

11 years ago

Mexico has a rating of 52.9? With the state their country is in?

11 years ago

I think "Experienced Well Being" might be a better measure. You can select it from the dropdown box.

-Denmark
-Canada
-Norway
-Venezuala
-Switzerland

11 years ago

Danish people are deluded :)

Human development index is a pretty good indicator too, according to that Norway is the best. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index

But I've tried Norwegian food, so I'll have to disagree. 

11 years ago

I love the fact that the US is in the same happiness category as Mongolia and we're only above Afghanistan by a point.

11 years ago

Select 'experienced well being' from the dropdown box.

11 years ago

Mexico city has more people than the whole of Australia.

11 years ago

What does a higher population have to do with the average citizen's happiness?

11 years ago

Absolutely nothing at first glance but taking in the fact there are a lot of people in Mexico city does reduce happiness quite a lot due to a number of factors.

11 years ago

I'm still not getting your point. I'm assuming you think Mexico is a happier country just because if they had the same population, Mexico would be ranked higher. 

Whether or whether not that's true doesn't matter. Population density does influence happiness, so it has to be taken into account.

11 years ago

This world has no countries. Just a lot of land and even more water. :)

11 years ago

And intelligent-apes who fight over that land for food and black gunk. xD

11 years ago

We also don't have jails, just stone rooms with iron bars.

Or militaries, just a bunch of men in uniforms who shoot people.

Or rain, just falling water

Or lifeforms, just a bunch of carbon beings with consciousness.

11 years ago

Are they jails? They could be prisons. If they had animals, they could be animal shelters. If you take away the bars and the convicts, you'd have a sheriff's office.

Policemen are also men in uniforms who shoot people. What if a postal work goes... well... postal? That would be a man in uniform who shoots people.

You know what else is falling water? Snow.

Lifeforms? Parts.

It's all just parts put together.

11 years ago

You are trying way to hard. just stop. haha.

11 years ago

Words are just series of lines and dots we happen to recognize as being meaningful.

GOD THIS IS SO DEEP.

11 years ago

I've gotten really bad about making "to" and "too" errors... :l

11 years ago

Over 6.4 billion stickmen die each year...

-Cracked.com

11 years ago

Man, we need to do something about that. How can the mainstream media avoid talking about such a genocide?

11 years ago

It's reification. Treating concepts like they're real things. If human beings were suddenly wiped off the planet, there wouldn't be countries. But we go through all sorts of incredible machinations to put concreteness on things that are inherently not concrete. Look at a picture of the Earth taken from a satellite. Do you see the lines that make up the borders around countries, regions, states, cities? Are the oceans divided up? If you hadn't been told about concepts like these, you wouldn't see them as split up into individual land areas. You would see them for what they are: A bunch of land, and a bunch of water.

Anything else is patently absurd and, dare I say, delusional.

Am I trying too hard? Too hard to do what? State the obvious?

11 years ago

If the definition of a country required that borders be painted in red paint on the ground so that they could be seen via satellite, then you'd be correct. Since you don't need anything of the like to have countries, you're being delusional.

Reification is treating something abstract as a material thing. Not a real thing. A thing can be both abstract and real. Countries are not material things, they are abstract. That doesn't make them non-real, obviously.

11 years ago

Is it just me or anyone else feeling a little #Marmotlogic deja vu?

11 years ago

Did you say #Marmotlogic?

11 years ago

Was sabley around during #Marmotlogic?

11 years ago

Her account wasn't as far as I remember, but either she was a long time lurker, or she is a thread delver.

11 years ago

Nope, she fully participated in the argument.

11 years ago

Seriously? Wow, that seems like forever ago. I only really noticed her in the last couple months.

11 years ago

Hmm, for me it must have been the change in profile pics. I see old her and new her as two different profiles almost haha.

Pics mean a lot :P

11 years ago

Holy crud you're right. Now that I think of the username and not the Picture it feels like she has been a part of the community allot longer.

11 years ago

It was only three months ago. I checked out the old thread for reference and her, 3J, and Marmotlord were the most active in the argument at the beginning.

11 years ago

I remember coining #marmotlogic like it was yesterday. Thanks for bringing it back because this thread seriously exemplifies it.

11 years ago

Dude I was there. Remember the huge argument between myself and Marmotlord about 'video games being sports'? :P

EDIT:

Nevermind I just saw you guys remembered XD. I should probably change my avatar back so I am recognizable :P

11 years ago

Ah, ya. Now I remember as if it were yesterday.

11 years ago

Nope, now you look like old Sabley. Bring back new Sabley!

11 years ago

I'm cool with the whole anti-patriotism thing but that statement is just plain old false, pedantic arguments devolving into axiomatic brawls aside.

11 years ago

Malta or Panama. :)

11 years ago

The Principality of Sealand of course! It's the smallest country in the world plus. Plus for just a few euros you can become a Lord/Lady or even a Baron/Baroness! They have their own currency and all that good stuff. :P

11 years ago

The Principality of Sealand is AWESOME!!! ... It's not even an island, it's like a helicopter landing platform in the middle of the sea or something... I think it's got a population of 27 :p

11 years ago

whats their main export?

11 years ago

Passports and stamps. :P

11 years ago

And titles, T-shirts, and the stuff. :D

11 years ago

I was thinking about saying titles, but I didn't want to be accused of, "reification."

11 years ago

History tells all.

11 years ago

and which country does it tell us is the best?

11 years ago

If I am not mistaken, history tells what was, not necessarily what is.

11 years ago

Then which country has the best track record?

11 years ago

History is a fabrication of what we believe happened despite the fact we were not there. So history lies a lot more than we think. xD

11 years ago

Neverland! ^_^

11 years ago

All countries should be disbanded and people should grow large bushy beards and govern themselves. Oh, wait. The majority of people have 100 +/- 10 SV IQs so they can't govern themselves, and we must waste as much money as possible on various governmental atrocities.

11 years ago

So the solution is to kill everybody and start over?