Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Languages

10 years ago

Does anyone speak multiple langua

ge

s? If so, Can you please tell me what language?

Languages

10 years ago

I speak English, French (although I hate the language, but that's probably from having it shoved down by throat by the Quebec government) , I can somewhat speak Spanish, I know Albanian, and I can understand Greek(though I cannot write or speak it well)

Languages

10 years ago

What's Albanian?

Languages

10 years ago

It is the language spoken in Albania (not a well known country, but it's right next to Greece, neighbours in fact.)

Languages

10 years ago

Some people do for example his is an INTERNATIONAL site so any not in the US or quite a bit of Europe, English is a second language

I speak a bit of Spanish and aim to learn Greek and French if I get a lot of spare time

Languages

10 years ago
"So any not in the US or quite a bit of Europe, English is a second language"

That is not really true. There are so many countries outside of the US and Europe that speak English predominantly. And its a little funny that you said Europe, because outside of the UK, there's not many predominantly English-speaking countries.

If you want to learn more, take a look at this map of English speaking countries. Anywhere you see green is where English is an official or predominantly spoken language of that country.

Languages

10 years ago

a good majority of the world uses English as the International trade language... Dating back to The British control of pretty much every major trade lane in the known world and even into modern times they founded so many colonies worldwide its crazy! English is known and taught in pretty much every civilized corner of the world. It may not be first but most countries require it to be taught.

Languages

10 years ago

I know a very very small amount of spanish

I know some Japanese, I'm not near fluent but I would survive in Japan without a translator.

Languages

10 years ago

English and Chinese, and a little Malay.

Languages

10 years ago

English, Marshallese, Canadian, Brittish, and Australian, and read Korean...

Languages

10 years ago

... English, Australian, Canadian and British are essentially the same thing (unless you mean every single language in Canada) no?

Languages

10 years ago

Ja.  :(

Languages

10 years ago

you forgot penguinese What's Marshallese? 

Languages

10 years ago

An islander language that falls loosly into the Polynesian group.

Languages

10 years ago

How did you learn it?

Languages

10 years ago

Immersion.

Other than that, the rest of the details are classified - but a skilled Web Diver could find out I bet  ^-^

Languages

10 years ago

Most definitely not a skilled web diver

How long were you in the islands?

Languages

10 years ago

Languages

10 years ago

Pffft

Languages

10 years ago

Well said my good man ;)

Languages

10 years ago

Marshallese originates in the southern end of the Polynesian island chain. Also it is basically Polynesian with a few twists and a strong difference in the way they talk and pronounce. I believe.

Languages

10 years ago

Iay ancay eakspay igpay atinlay. Oesn'tday ountcay oughthay, osay orgetfay itay.

Languages

10 years ago

English first language, not bad at Hindi, very very little sanskrit, very very very very very very little Kannada.

Languages

10 years ago

See? I told Drak that Kannadain was a language  ;)

Languages

10 years ago

Urrm, its not kannadain and cant google settle most disputes inluding this?

Languages

10 years ago

What's to dispute? People from kannada speak kannadain.

(being facesious here of course)

Languages

10 years ago

Really i would have never guessed. ;)

Languages

10 years ago

Anyway, its people from karnataka, so in theor it would be karnatakain.

Languages

10 years ago

English, French, Spanish, and pig latin. And latin.

Languages

10 years ago

All lies. I used to be fluent in French, no longer. Spanish I'm beginning to be conversational, I suspect a 5th grade level.

Languages

10 years ago

Haha, what about latin? (My spanish would be at around that level as well, I just can't seem to get it any higher)

Languages

10 years ago

I was really good at Latin at some point. I translated the entire Aeneid for class. That was like 7-10th grade, though, so for me that was a long time ago.

Languages

10 years ago

Impressive

Languages

10 years ago

English

Japanese (Can understand conversational, can't speak well, can't read)

French (Know a few words here and there)

Languages

10 years ago

Ah yes, French. Never studied it, but I can understand about 40% of it on a word only level. I actually aced the Free Rice French edition haha! I found it much easier than english at the higher levels...

Languages

10 years ago

Really? I've always found English to be a very simple language when compared to French, much easier to learn and much easier to enjoy. 

Languages

10 years ago

I don't know, maybe it's because a lot of high level English words come from a French Root. Or maybe I got French blood in me or something...  :)

Hey, I even think "..." is a French word by origin - 'ellipsis'

Languages

10 years ago

In fact English is the hardest language to learn because it is a mishmash of all languages. So it is horrible to learn to people who haven't learned English as a first language it is hard to learn.

Languages

10 years ago

I didn't learn english as my first language, my first language was albanian and then greek, but I was never any good at greek and since I live in Quebec I make better use of french and english than anything else. But I have never found english to be hard, (then again I began learning it and french at 3 years old)

Languages

10 years ago

Well your weird you cheater

Languages

10 years ago

English is only hard because it has a lot of exceptions to it's own rules, and there's no real standard to pronunciation.

And I only learned French because I'm Canadian and it's mandatory up until grade 9 here.

Languages

10 years ago

Not in Quebec, here you have to learn it until you graduate from high school :(

Languages

10 years ago

It's a french province, so of course that'd be the case lol.

Languages

10 years ago

I can send you a link that all show you the basics on reading and writing in Japanese. It basically helps you memorize the Katakana and hiragana characters. You may not be able to read much Japanese stuff because they use so much kanji but it gets you started. 

Languages

10 years ago

I can only speak English. I know a little bit of Japanese from a unit I did last year, and I am learning Spanish online now.

Languages

10 years ago

I am somewhat fluent in Icelandic and English, and then I am not so fluent in Danish and German.

Languages

10 years ago

Dutch, English, some German and a little bit of French.

Languages

10 years ago

Malay,English and more then halfway to learning Arabic

Languages

10 years ago

I only speak 'Murica.

Languages

10 years ago

But I bet you could recognze at least sixteen types of Bacon by the way it sizzles haha!

Languages

10 years ago

Eighteen in fact.

Languages

10 years ago

If I ever had kids, there'd be definite sponge-absorption occurring. I wish my parents had forced languages on me. I was sitting in Chiang Mai somewhat recently, and this Parisian was actually ridiculing the two canadians I was sitting with. I could understand them enough to communicate, but my grasp on French has slipped. Interesting that there's some sort of bias involved.

Languages

10 years ago

Yup, Quebec French people usually tend to speak with a ridiculously stupid sounding accented version of French, also, Quebec used to be a French colony until it was conquered by the English. Those 2 things could easily account for the bias most Parisians would feel towards quebecers

Languages

10 years ago

Danish, English, some German, understand some Swedish and Norwegian, and read some Dutch.

Languages

10 years ago

To: BerkaZerka
Date: 5/26/2013 6:24:04 AM

Can you please post this quote on the forums for me. I can't because the machine I am using doesn't work correctly when posting on the forums.

"Thank you for answering my question about languages. This gets me to know all of you a little better."

So, there ya have it =)

Languages

10 years ago
english,hindi and a little bit of sanskrit

Languages

10 years ago

Since it's revived:

English, French, Spanish, The Navajo language(Or at least most of it.) and I am working on Russian and Chinese. Got to remember to fit that Asian one in there somewhere.

Languages

10 years ago
I speak English and some French. I'm not yet fluent, but I can get by fairly well. I am planning on being a translator, so I am looking to learn many more languages later on.

Languages

10 years ago

I speak English, French(damn you Quebec), Armenian and I'm halfway descent in Arabic.

Oddly enough, French people(so people who are from France) Use more English words in their day to day dialect then people from Quebec

Languages

10 years ago

Because French people aren't forced to deal with ridiculous anti-English laws, and the horrendous propagandic French-separatist supporting history lessons (at least, I don't think it's as propagandic or bad back there)

Welcome, my fellow quebecan.

Languages

10 years ago

... well that was pleasant.

Languages

10 years ago

Quebec is a sad place for the English language

Languages

10 years ago

Jesus what's wrong with you people? Come to the united states most people speak only English its kind of sad. 

"Languages? English and ah does uno does trace count?"

Languages

10 years ago

You remind me of a little kind of inside joke me and one of my friends have.

I don't know if you are familiar with the game called: Sins Of A Solar Empire: Rebellion but in it you capture planets and kill our enemies. Me and my friend named our frontier planets Pauline Marois. The Ai is programmed so that whenever it attacks one of your planets it announces: You can't save (insert planet here) now!

So whenever we got attacked we would hear: You can't save Pauline Marois now!!!.

Languages

10 years ago

yes

Languages

10 years ago

Pretty much. That's why I love taking a foreign language class in high school that's not Spanish. It makes me feel special. Though my friends always tell me I'm special xD

Languages

10 years ago

.... I wonder why?

Languages

10 years ago

-flails- I'M NORMAL I PROMISE!!!

Languages

10 years ago

Did your mother have you tested?

Languages

10 years ago

I supposed to be on meds for ADD but my mom doesn't think medicating kids for their personality isn't right. 

Languages

10 years ago

No it's the perfect way!! I'm borderline ADHD never been tested or anything.

Languages

10 years ago

Oh god lol. Well..... glad I live on the other side of the state xD

Languages

10 years ago

What state? You stalker!!!

Languages

10 years ago

Come on Hugo this was your thread.... http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/the-lounge/message/9157

Languages

10 years ago

Hey go with the flow and leave the past in the past. I'm guessing you live what Olympia or Seattle?

Languages

10 years ago

When talking to non-Washingtonians I say Seattle. But I live like 10 minutes away from Seattle in one of the cities surronding it. For safety purposed I won't say which one lol

Languages

10 years ago

Just as for safety purposes I lied!!! I technically do not live in Spokane.

Languages

10 years ago

Oh! Well! You do live in that part of Wa though right?

Languages

10 years ago

Yes and like a 2 minute drive from spokane

Languages

10 years ago
French, Hindi, English, Sanskrit, Sarfari, and one more language that is probably extinct.

Languages

10 years ago

English, Chinese, a little of Jap and Latin, Pig Latin :D

And of course, firenese, coffeeian and caninese.

Languages

10 years ago

... Nice made up languages

Languages

10 years ago

I believe the firenese is actually called Pyrofanin. Not sure about the other two.

Languages

10 years ago

They are like baconese a simple langauge that is great.

Languages

10 years ago

Arabic :p

Languages

10 years ago

I assume this also includes English? (I never welcomed you BTW, so welcome :)

Languages

10 years ago

Welcome and not necessarily some CPUs automatically changes to the language you set it to.

Languages

10 years ago

WHAAAaaaaaaaa......hhhh?!?

Languages

10 years ago

I used to have a pen pal in Nigeria and when I asks what language he was typing in he said in Hausa and I read it in English.

Languages

10 years ago

Did he ask you to send him money to help pay for the paperwork on his $30,000,000 inheritance from the King (which he was happy to share with you just for helping)?

Languages

10 years ago

Ha, I got some spam like that before. Was hilarious. :P

Languages

10 years ago

Hahahaha aha... No.

He was a genuine pen pal my friends in Haiti almost got killed in he earthquake.

Languages

10 years ago

Chinese (Cantonese). It was actually my first language, even though I was born and still live in the States! Immigrant parents.

Languages

10 years ago

It's been a month since school let out and the only thing I remember about French is how to say I don't know XD

Languages

10 years ago

Je ne suis pas. (Never been good at spelling or grammar in any language even English. I don't discriminate.) 

Languages

10 years ago

Actually in french the proper way to say I don''t know would be

Je ne sais pas.

Not Je ne suis pas

Je ne suis pas is french for I am not.

Languages

10 years ago

Je ne sais pas quelle tu parle (don't judge me)

Languages

10 years ago

(I don't know what you speak?)

Languages

10 years ago

Haha I'm really bad at french but I was trying to say I don't know what you're saying

Languages

10 years ago

I speak english

I speak enough french to get by but not more.

Funny enough because I watch a lot of anime I actually know more about Japanese then I do French.  It is amazing what your brain can observe while watching and reading text. 

Languages

10 years ago

English, enough French and Portuguese to get by and used to know a lot of Latin but haven't used it in over a decade so forgotten it all now :)

Randomly having read Bo's comment I can also recognize a large number of Japanese words and phrases due to watching movies and large amounts of Anime.

Languages

10 years ago

French, Italian, Latin, Japanese, Hebrew, Chinese, Klingon, Danish, Dutch, Portuguese, Greek, Elfish, Arabic, Pig Latin, Nadsat, Parseltongue, Bosnian, Armenian, Korean, Norweigan, Persian, Na'vi, Bulgarian, Macedonian, Simlish, and dog, are all languages that I can not speak. I can, however, speak English and small amounts of Spanish.

Languages

10 years ago

I was very impressed  ;)