Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Let's Play interest check

2 years ago
I'd like to start running some let's plays of IF games and assorted hybrids that lend themselves to voting from the peanut gallery. I'm thinking Skybreak! and then King of Dragon Pass to begin with, so things along those lines with some good depth and replayability. Updates will likely be sporadic and dependent on my work schedule and general state of mental togetherness, which has been what's made me hold off on this until now. What I want to do here is compile a list of those interested who want to be added to a ping list for when I'm sitting down to start a session. When I do I'll be playing a couple of hours and taking votes from whoever's currently online without a lot of wait in order to keep things moving. First game as I said will be Skybreak! (Link) Even if you play it now, we'll wind up with a completely different game in the thread. I figure some of you may like to familiarize yourself with the character creation at least however. And we'll be playing at least a couple more Adrift games in the future, so this might be a good time to download the runner and figure out how that works. Online play is available and the only choice for those of you on mobile, but it's...not ideal, let's just say, the way saving works is very Amish and annoying and it doesn't let you customize anything or save logs of your adventures. Anyway, tell me here if you want to be tagged at random times in the future and made to feel like you're super popular and wanted.

2 years ago
How to install ADRIFT: Have a Windows computer. Prepare eye protection. Click here. Download the runner (for playing) or the full install (for both the runner and the developer tool.) If you have the developer, it's a fun program to mess around with, although it's as old as CYS and has some quirks. It doesn't need coding knowledge and lends itself to easily creating text RPGs or escape the room puzzles and other things like that. The old version, 4.0, is great for CYOAs or organizing setting notes btw. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles CYOA authors don't need, and the map lets you visually see your page layout as you work. Installing the damn thing will be your biggest technical challenge tbh. ....you uh, might need to disconnect your internet when installing if you don't know how to tell Windows to STFU when it starts screaming bloody murder about all the imaginary viruses that totally want to rape your computer because it's just dressed so revealingly. Old, obscure program + the way it's set up to launch the little game files just makes Windows hate it with a passion and do this kind of racial profiling. I've had Adrift on every computer I own since 2004 and Windows just gets bitchier and bitchier about it, especially now that new laptops try to trick you into using them in S mode only and installing a Microsoft loyalty chip in your brain when your set them up. So, download runner, extract files, run setup. Download game, open runner and go to Open Adventure, select game. Mess around with customization options such as turning off the cancerous and universally despised Autocomplete. Easy! For your trouble, I will give ten points to anyone who successfully installs the runner or developer, and an additional ten points to anyone who catches a beetle in Skybreak. Without giving anything away, I have in mind a couple other activities involving this program that might be fun someday.

2 years ago
I'm going to tag @325boy to here since after he made his big puzzle game I suggested ADRIFT to him, only for him to completely ignore me. (He's also most likely going to completely ignore this tag, that's just our unique dynamic.)

2 years ago

Hi.

2 years ago
Nice try but it doesn't count if I call you out on it.

(Also you're on the ping list now, trap sprung.)

2 years ago

The process of installing sounds like an absolute nightmare. I'm in.

This seems pretty cool, though. I might check out the ADRIFT software, as obscure and ancient as it may be, and mess around with it a little to see what it's like. The let's play thing sounds interesting too. ^^

Update: Okay, Windows did chastise me a little for trying to install this old-ass software, but the installation was pretty quick: I did the full install because I planned on checking out developer mode too. The developer mode is looks about as old as it is, but I've been playing around with tasks and locations to see what it's like. Also got Skybreak! while I'm at it to see what an actually functioning ADRIFT game would look like. Update 2: Autocomplete is fucking horrendous and makes me want to cry.

2 years ago
I may have overexplained the installation process, but the thing I've come to realize is that most people under 24 don't know the first thing about their computers and are intimidated and confused by even a normal .zip file. (I blame Steam.) Add any extra layer of complexity such as telling Windows 'no it's fine, thanks for your concern but I'm actually not a retard', and they throw the laptop out the window and end up sobbing and shaking on the floor. Skybreak! is a massive CYOA/RPG hybrid space adventure and a great example of what ADRIFT can do. The program was designed for making those parser IF games like Zork without needing to code, and that's what it's traditionally been mostly used for, but it's way more powerful and flexible than that which a few people have been starting to discover. There really isn't anything newer and prettier that is comparable. One suggestion for a 'charming quirk' to avoid is that for setting up your map, use the actual grid map view and right click/double click/whatever to create and connect all your locations there. You can use the Add Location button but the rooms will wind up disconnected on the map view itself and need to be manually connected there, even if all the locations you set up can still be traveled to when walking around in the game itself.

In the 4.0 version none of this was an issue so it's one of the more annoying unneeded things the new version added.

2 years ago

That's understandable. I know enough people my age who still shit themselves and sob uncontrollably at the thought of dealing with a simple .zip file or putting down Windows' safety bumper rails by *gasp* clicking an extra button or two. It really isn't that hard to tell Windows you're capable of making big boy decisions.

I've been playing through Skybreak! for the past half hour or so and holy shit is it cool. There's a bunch to do at every place my ship ends up at. I still haven't had the opportunity to catch any beetles yet, though. :P Edit: I don't know if this counts as catching a beetle, but I visited the Coleopterological Academy on Nibis where I was "matched" with a green beetle.

Also that grid map view in the developer mode made things so much easier to organize, thanks.

2 years ago

I'm in!

2 years ago

I'm in, because I never intend to play an ADRIFT game 

2 years ago

Sure. I'm lazy and this seems like this requires minimal effort on my part.

2 years ago

This seems like fun, count me in! I installed Adrift without any difficulty, so thank god I don't have an antivirus. Despite a very outdated interface, it's actually really cool.

Skybreak is entertaining too. Probably should've named my character something other than Waffle though.

2 years ago
If you get a prompt to enter a name, and you don't enter something stupid, you're doing it wrong.

2 years ago
Since you put in it my mind, I named my character Maple Syrup and my ship the Iron Waffle.

I haven't caught a beetle yet because the galaxy is a horrible place. There appears to be some very deep lore in this game, I thought I was going on a fun adventure among the stars and instead I got sucked outside the galaxy, had the creepiest meeting with an elf, and my ship was destroyed by a tentacle monster. (But we got better. Adventure points turned out to be extra lives.)

I seem to be permanently stuck outside the galaxy in The Night and surroundings though. I don't think my character is strong enough for this, I chose the normal person from Earth background and this all happened almost immediately, I don't even really know how ship combat works.

2 years ago
You may be fine, your character is always a badass so there's no real way to be underleveled. Certain general purpose skills make the game much easier though, and at least one of the three needed to navigate out of the Night is on that list. Also everyone will wind up there at some point, although the odds of doing it right after starting the game are pretty low. Congrats?

2 years ago
Found a city of elves, told the king's majordomo a horror story in exchange for a golden boat, then the lights started going out and everyone cowered in their homes as the night fell, and I wound up back in THE Night. My two free adventure points are gone. I'm going to die out here. Don't try and send help, you'll only get sucked in too.

2 years ago
That's rough buddy.

Yian is a very special place, if you had successfully stayed the night there you could've explored a lot more. There are many rewards to be found, however it does tend to take something out of you...

2 years ago

Sounds interesting. I'd like to be tagged.

I played Skybreak a few years back. As I recall, I made it quite far, but I was too busy to play the game for a while, and I never picked the game back up. The game file is on an old laptop that can barely connect to WiFi or open a browser, but somehow I managed to load the save file and take a screenshot of my inventory. As it turns out, I did manage to capture a few beetles at some point.

https://files.catbox.moe/nqof7g.PNG

I also saved the transcript for my game, so I might start playing my own game again after reading it to refresh my memory.

King of Dragon Pass is also interesting, though it might be a bit tedious deciding exactly what actions to perform each year and how to distribute points.

2 years ago
I'm going to need an external force to get me to play skybreak again. I've just been feeling a bout of laziness, so tagging would also be good.

Super popular and wanted? Hell yeah.

2 years ago
Add me to the list!

I have Skybreak and Adrift downloaded already, I meant to play it awhile back after Perf mentioned it in my thread.

I didn't look at the program much but I've tried a few of those old text adventures and it seemed immediately obvious to me it would be good for a detective story.

2 years ago
I hope to get this started in a couple of days, just waiting for some family stuff to sort itself out and to find out what exactly my new work schedule will be.

2 years ago
Add me to the list. Both Skybreak and KoDP are such great games, and especially the latter has a council mechanic that's practically built for backseat gaming that you're free to ignore.

2 years ago
Put me down, I love Dragon Pass.

I can't see anywhere a group run clan can go but disaster though.

I have a Windows laptop but I don't use it very often, I'm always expecting it not to start someday. But I'll look at that program when I can.

2 years ago
Maple Syrup went off the edge of the universe and was lost.

Stay tuned for Mabel.

2 years ago
Starting this tomorrow with a new thread in the CC, or we can at least try to get through character creation anyway.

Didn't mean to take so long to get this off the ground, my dad is in the hospital and I've been working a lot, like a LOT the past weeks/month whatever. Luckily I have burned away this mortal flesh and become one with the fourth dimension. Mizal is gone there is only Gozer the Destructor, and these Ultra Violet Monsters are really good for being sugar free, but perhaps the second one was a mistake.

*bleeds from eyeballs*

2 years ago

Well wishes to your father, and hope your work schedule improves soon!

2 years ago
Thanks, and he'll be fine, he's just a dumbass that ignored a fever for a week because he thought it would be cool to almost die for the second time in six months. Not covid at least, just pneumonia.

Work is a mess because I started training for a new part time in the evenings, not realizing that there is such a thing as a bitch retarded enough to walk out because she wanted to check on a sick dog in the middle of her shift when there was no one to cover for her. Nor did I know that a Facebook slapfight could render grown ass women in their 50s suddenly unable to work with each other.

2 years ago
lol what the hell

2 years ago

2 years ago
Well done!

LP thread will go up soon, just been getting with someone about sorting a teensy weensy problem with a gushing waterline.

2 years ago

If we're not playing the brazilian guy's bdsm rape game I'm not interested

2 years ago
This got put on hold for a couple weeks due to juggling the extra little part time job with my regular schedule being more annoying than expected.

I'd apologize for the delay, but honestly I doubt anyone cares that much and any of you who aren't lazy could play the game yourselves.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled Jason/Kiel effigy burning.

2 years ago
All right I do believe I'm quitting this fucking job, staying till next Sunday and then this and other parts of my life will resume.

2 years ago

Oh, I get it.  *This* is the Let's Play.  That was clever.

OK, I pick that you quit both jobs, actually.  It just seems like that would maximize writing time. 

2 years ago
If we get the $GME event, maybe I will, but the RNG has really been trolling me here. My sale price of $420.69 will hold however.

Also I'm going to put an extra point into Sleep later on, as soon as I have enough exp.

2 years ago
Man, I don't want to sound like I'm telling some kind of IAP story, but my work schedule the last five days has required me to leave the house at 4am and not return until somewhere between 7-9pm. Not counting like twenty minutes to stop to change clothes and take care of my dogs. I am fuckin DEAD.

However I am staying home tomorrow and will start the LP and do something site related. A couple of reviews at least. I need a volunteer to hold me to this if you see me shitposting here before it's done.

Don't try to keep me out of the Discord though. It's been attempted. It's impossible.

2 years ago
UPDATE: I shitposted all over the place and not a single person tried to stop me. The failure to follow simple instructions that small children should manage makes me think I should have recruited stargirl or AL. Skybreak! LP has begun.

2 years ago
Mizal the Adrift forum sucks, they just deleted my first post and censored me.

2 years ago
I hate how other forums need mod approval to post, it's the mark of a community of cowards.