Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

"Failed" is one syllable

6 months ago
If you think failed is two syllables, you must also admit that the following are two syllables: vile, vial, pool, feel, carl, boil, steal, file, and keel. All of which are definitely one syllable.

"Failed" is one syllable

6 months ago
big laugh

"Failed" is one syllable

6 months ago
Except literally none of those words are anything like "failed".

"Failed" is one syllable

6 months ago
linguists disagree. I compiled the list from linguist research sites that describe the phenomenon with L's

"Failed" is one syllable

6 months ago
Fail, pail/pale, grail, it's not a very distinct second syllable but it's there, and it's more pronouced with the -ed attached. Sorry but your linguists have fayuld.

"Failed" is one syllable

6 months ago

Failed is one syllable with a diphthong (a "two-sound")  resulting as a glide from the 'a' to the 'i' and one smooth pronunciation. 

Vial is ordinarily considered to be two syllables, but in some English accents it becomes one syllable through a process called monopthongization, where a smooth glide between two vowel sounds becomes one vowel sound. As read, vial ought to be read viy-al, but most English speakers pronounce this sound as a monopthong (a "one-sound") and it becomes "vile". 

"Failed" is one syllable

6 months ago
Vile, Vial, Carl, Boil, Steal, File, Keel, and Failed all have two syllables if you talk like a normal person. Although keel is kind of an edge case, I suppose.

"Failed" is one syllable

6 months ago
kys

"Failed" is one syllable

6 months ago

What suddenly brought all this on by Ford anyway?

"Failed" is one syllable

6 months ago
Squeak speak

"Failed" is one syllable

6 months ago
It's been a long time coming

"Failed" is one syllable

6 months ago
Why isn't thermometer pronounced Therm-moe-meter?

"Failed" is one syllable

6 months ago

How many syllables a word has depends on how many I need them to have for it to count in poetry

"Failed" is one syllable

6 months ago
duh

"Failed" is one syllable

6 months ago
get out of my thread, despot. leave cys too while you're at it.