Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Hey, guys, just informing anyone who hasn't noticed (I know, most of you have, there's been plenty of buzz)-- today is the day when the stories for the SpringThing contest are released. As the three entrants from our home site-- me, Killa_Robot, and Briar_Rose compete with each other... and whoever entered from Twine or whatever, who cares, it'd be great to have our fellow site mates cheer us on.

If you haven't played our game entries yet, (shaaame, shame I say!) they can be found here:

Killa's: http://chooseyourstory.com/story/through-time
Briar's: http://chooseyourstory.com/story/the-price-of-freedom~3a-innocence-lost
Mine: http://chooseyourstory.com/story/a-game-of-life-and-death

Enjoy, the three of us worked hard and--in my humble opinion--they're all a lot of fun.  

By the way, did anyone else notice that all three of us who entered have an underscore in our name? >_>' That's kinda weird.

CYS pride

10 years ago

It's funny though. I doubt anyone from CYS actually entered to be a judge haha.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Yeah, probably not, lol. However... interestingly enough, beta-readers are allowed to participate in judging. Hmm.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Really? Dang, woulda been one if I hadn't assumed otherwise.

Anywho, fortune be upon you guys!

CYS pride

10 years ago

You could volunteer to be a judge? 

CYS pride

10 years ago

Yep.

There's actually no deadline on the site, so it may be open. Maybe he'll tell us tomorrow when he gives more details.

CYS pride

10 years ago

I'll check it out. We should have the CYS judges there. :)

CYS pride

10 years ago

Underscores are for clever people! It means we can separate first and last names instead of just sticking them together and throwing a bunch of numbers on the end. And I'm kind of embarrassed of my game now, after reading Killa's, and I haven't even gotten started on yours yet. Play length 7s are for noobs cheeky

CYS pride

10 years ago

Don't be, you put a lot of work into that story and it shows. I think we all did very well.

CYS pride

10 years ago

You did it in like, 2 weeks XD 

CYS pride

10 years ago

xD Yes, so for that incredibly short amount of time, it's epic.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Good luck all of you! 

CYS pride

10 years ago

Thanks! =)

CYS pride

10 years ago

Good luck!

CYS pride

10 years ago

How long before we know the results? And good luck guys!

CYS pride

10 years ago

He'll let us know tomorrow how long the voting period will last.

CYS pride

10 years ago
Wait, so where can we go to get info on this thing again? And good luck guys!

CYS pride

10 years ago

CYS pride

10 years ago

^ Er, Tans...

Wa Wa Wa Wawawa!!!

CYS pride

10 years ago

... Why is it not working >.<

EDIT-- There we go! XD

CYS pride

10 years ago

I've finished Briar's story and one good ending to Killa's.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Just seen the list of entries for the Spring Thing. 10 competitors this year... Yipes surprise

CYS pride

10 years ago

Through Time
by MC Book

Hehehehe...

CYS pride

10 years ago

What a creative pen name :P

CYS pride

10 years ago

Hey now.

MC is actually my initials ^_^

CYS pride

10 years ago

Oh. Groovy then XD 

Why 'book' though?

CYS pride

10 years ago

My creativity ran out after the first two letters, that's why.

CYS pride

10 years ago

'Grats :P

CYS pride

10 years ago

Lol. Anybody can make their name sound cool if they have the initials M.C. or D.J. cheeky

CYS pride

10 years ago

Or D.K

Right?

Right?

CYS pride

10 years ago

Ha ha, it's alright Drak. Everyone who knows your name likes it. (Maybe.)

CYS pride

10 years ago

Lame.

Now I need to read briar and your stories, and then move to the others.

CYS pride

10 years ago
How do you vote? I see a list of the games but not anywhere to vote. Do you have to be a judge to vote or can anyone vote?

CYS pride

10 years ago

Yeah, you have to be a judge first. I think there's rules somewhere about applying to be a judge.

CYS pride

10 years ago
Yeah, there is, but i can't actually find a place to aply.

CYS pride

10 years ago

You need to email the guy in charge.

CYS pride

10 years ago

"The voting page is not yet up, but will be soon. As soon as the page exists, I'll link to it here. Note that you must play at least half of the games to vote."

CYS pride

10 years ago

Incidentally, having 10 people means that there is $1000 in prize money.

CASH PRIZE POOL

$600.00 US
$300.00 US
$100.00 US

I'll take to mean only the first 3 places get a cash prize, haha. Which surprises me, since I thought the prizes would be a bit more uniform based on past years. Then again, it's a new guy this year.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Just to warn all you guys(and girl) about an important rule to follow. (Edited for emphasis)

1. If your game is in the competition, then you may not publicly discuss either it or any competitors' games during the judging period. If you need to correct a public misstatement of fact about your game, please contact the organizer, who will relay the message.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Judging period hasn't started yet :P

Besides, I don't think we've actually discussed any of the games.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Does rating the game and leaving comments count? cheeky

CYS pride

10 years ago

Aaron clarified that in one e-mail to the entrants. "It's fine to talk about the competition and that your game is in it, but not to canvas for votes or discuss the details of your game (until the voting period is over)."

I don't think anyone's asked for votes and we haven't really discussed details. No one's throwing out spoilers or in-depth game-play / plot notes.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Hey remember that part in Killa's game? Where that guy said that thing to that girl, and then that thing happened and then everybody went and did that thing they did? That bit was awesome ^_^

CYS pride

10 years ago

Briar, ssssh! Spoilers! Ohmygosh, you should warn people or something. xD 

(Personally, I preferred that thing that happened at that place with those people at that time on that day. You know, after you say that stuff to that guy about the other person? It was just...like, yeah, you know?)

CYS pride

10 years ago

From what I understand, the top 3 winners get a cash prize, but there's also other prizes for runners up, so there's gonna be more than 3 winners ^_^

CYS pride

10 years ago

Well, I think it's actually you get to pick your prize in whatever order you finish in. It just so happens people tend to pick the big cash prizes first haha.

CYS pride

10 years ago

True cheeky

CYS pride

10 years ago

Good luck to all of you!

CYS pride

10 years ago

Good on ya's for getting your games done! :D I would've done the same, but I'm lazy and was working on Forum Games. Wouldn't it be funny if you all came first second and third? *he says in a suggestive and shady tone*

CYS pride

10 years ago

Good luck to you all, I wish I was in it with you but sadly I couldn't finish mine in time

CYS pride

10 years ago

My favorite was Briar, but I still really liked Kiel and Killa's work. :)

CYS pride

10 years ago

It's a tricky choice, as every storygame on there astounded me.

I'd have to say... A game of life and death.

CYS pride

10 years ago

what

CYS pride

10 years ago

What 'what'? :P

CYS pride

10 years ago

The voting page is now open. As a reminder, you must play at least half of the games to vote (five games, this year) and you must vote and confirm your ballot by May 11th, 2014. Authors are not allowed to vote, but beta testers (and anyone else) can!

Alright, so apparently anyway CAN vote, but you have to play at least half of the games involved first.

http://www.springthing.net/2014/

Is the link. Just scroll down to where you see "Vote", and it gives a link to the voting page. From what I can tell, you have to vote for everything at once, so I'd recommend keeping track of the scores you give each game, then voting all at once. Deadline isn't until May.11th, so you have plenty of time.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Well finally played all the CYS games, and I have to say I liked them.

Briar's being the best, then Killa's and then Kiel's (would have been higher if I liked maze games :P)

So, are the other games any good? Too lazy to find out on my own :D

CYS pride

10 years ago

Eh? My game's not a maze. =(

CYS pride

10 years ago

Yeah, there's a difference between mazes and puzzles. Personally I love mystery/puzzle games and I think it's awesome! ... Well, I think it's awesome so far. Still need to finish it cheeky

CYS pride

10 years ago

Soz, thought it was the same category. Well, I don't really like puzzles but the setting was nice. If I had made the game it would end with ordering the pizza.

CYS pride

10 years ago

But the game DOES end if you order pizza. xD It just ends badly, because I'm just kind of evil like that. xD

CYS pride

10 years ago

I think that if you call his mom it ends even worse.

CYS pride

10 years ago

xD Oh, definitely. However, even that is not the worst ending in the game.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Well crap, I feel like playing it again... but I suck at puzzles!

CYS pride

10 years ago

That's why I made a walkthrough.

CYS pride

10 years ago

So, the walkthrough for my storygame is now on the spring thing page, if anyway gets stuck with it.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Wait, where? I can't find it.

CYS pride

10 years ago

It's the download beside it. Rather than download the game (since you can't download the CYS games), it's just the walkthrough.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Ohhh. Huh. I was expecting to see one for mine, too. I wonder why he didn't post it.

Cool, thanks.

CYS pride

10 years ago

He claimed to me that you and Briar didn't want your walkthroughs posted.

CYS pride

10 years ago

o.0 ... >_> ...?

This is exactly what I told him, copy & pasted from the e-mail, I quote: "yes, it is fine that this walk-through be made publicly available."

xD I'm not sure what's unclear about that. Did I need to ask or was a golden, hand-written invitation required...?

Maybe he preferred being asked rather than told? :P I dunno, but he said to tell him.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Yeah, I noted to him a week ago that I was withdrawing, and he actually replied that it was fine, but he still bcc'd me that email on Thursday.

Might want to tell him again though.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Yeah, I'll ask him to put it up, but I went ahead and posted the walkthrough here anyway.

Apparently my game's difficulty level demands it and I'm beginning to think I won't even place just because people are having too much trouble completing it. xD

CYS pride

10 years ago

Have people been PMing you that it's hard or something?

CYS pride

10 years ago

Yes.

I thought it was a good thing, but maybe I overdid it.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Too hard? Walk through?

Pfft, and they call themselves interactive fiction fans? If they're really into the hardcore parser zork type stuff then they shouldn't be bitching about a story from CYS being too hard for them.

And that PeterPears guy is a fucktard. 

DESTROY THE COMPETITION. EAT THEIR HEARTS AND SALT THE EARTH THAT THEY ONCE WALKED ON LEST IT STILL BE TAINTED BY THE VERY FOOTSTEPS OF THESE LESSER BORN.

CYS BROTHERHOOD FOREVER

CYS pride

10 years ago

Who's PeterPears?

CYS pride

10 years ago

Some dude on the Spingthing/intfiction forums.

Dunno what he did though.

CYS pride

10 years ago

He was whining that he couldn't download the CYS entries so he was going to ignore them and mentioned he gave up on CYS a long time ago because of that reason, so as far as he's concerned it doesn't exist.

Terrible way to run a contest really, the voters should have to read all the entries.

Anyway I was just providing some much needed hate incentive for you guys to win.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Lol. Why is playing a game online not as good as downloading it? cheeky

CYS pride

10 years ago

Because then how fast the game runs not only depends on how fast your computer can run it, it also depends on how fast your internet is.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Found the guy you're on about.

"But those are ChooseYourStory games, and I've given up on those a long, long, long, long, long time ago, precisely because the games can't be downloaded in any way. I have simply erased them from my perception. ChooseYourStory does not exist, because anything made there can not be conserved. Therefore I can easily ignore those entries.

Everyone else in the comp was considerate enough to include offline-playing files, so on the whole, it's an improvement.

Anyway, I'm getting seriously tired of non-parser games anyway, so it's two less things I have to drudge through."

... Wow... What a strange sort of person. indecision

CYS pride

10 years ago

What a self-entitled, ego-stroking, elitist, balloon-headed prick...

CYS pride

10 years ago

That too cheeky

CYS pride

10 years ago

So...

Apparently he allows you guys to ENTER the contest...but when you DO turn in your entries...

Wow.  That's just...inconsiderate.  That's pretty low.

CYS pride

10 years ago

I don't think he has anything to do with running the contest Swift, he's just a judge (as far as I know anyway.)

CYS pride

10 years ago

Who the FUCK allowed him to judge then?  Did he even express this complaint BEFORE judging period?

CYS pride

10 years ago

Anyone can judge, Swift XD

CYS pride

10 years ago

That is so unreliable -.-

CYS pride

10 years ago

I'll admit that it would be pretty neat to have a 'CYS app' and we'd be able to play games on the go (especially the longer ones like Eternal or Dead Man Walking).

Still a really dumb excuse to not play them though (especially since the CYS games are all 100x better than that stupid hexagon game :P)

CYS pride

10 years ago

To be fair, some of the other games in the competition look really good. Though I dunno if I'm allowed to say which 'cos I think we're not supposed to talk about other games during the voting period cheeky

CYS pride

10 years ago

The proper term is "Mentally disadvantaged".

CYS pride

10 years ago
Wow, that's pretty stupid. I think the reason we can't download them is because we've got like variables and scripts and items and stuff.

CYS pride

10 years ago

I might agree if these were video games with Dark Souls level of graphics, but all of this stuff is text based. I used to still have DIAL UP at one time and I could still navigate through this site with relative quickness.

CYS pride

10 years ago

That festering asshole....

'Splain this archaic "DIAL UP" mechanism to me. It sounds like a barrel of ebola-ridden fun!

CYS pride

10 years ago

Twerp.

Well, we'll show them, we gots mo' members ^_^

CYS pride

10 years ago

As added incentive to crush our hated enemies, I'm going to hand out my trophy to whoever here gets first place in this contest.

If you three manage to make it a complete blow out by getting first, second and third place, all three of you will get it.

SUPPORT CYS.

PURGE THE UNCLEAN IF HERETICS.

YOUR CAUSE IS JUST.

CYS BROTHERHOOD FOREVER

CYS pride

10 years ago

... I should've joined this...

CYS pride

10 years ago

Uhh... What if somebody else gets first place? cheeky

CYS pride

10 years ago

That's why I said whoever "here" gets first place.

CYS pride

10 years ago

I'm wondering if Endmaster actually thinks we can win, or if he's just become drunk with rage, haha.

CYS pride

10 years ago

A little from column A and a little from column B.

Like I said, as the thread's topic is CYS Pride, I'm just going over the top with it.

Actually winning the 600 dollars (or any of the money prizes) is a lot more important than getting a virtual trophy.

CYS pride

10 years ago

But it's all gold and pretty and has a skull on it ^_^

CYS pride

10 years ago

Speaking of trophies, I'm surprised Seth hasn't given you his now that he's back.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Goddamit!

CYS pride

10 years ago

Go CYS! 

CYS pride

10 years ago

Holy shit, really? 0.o

I didn't think it possible, but I am now even more excited about the thought of winning S.T. My first member trophy! xD Maybe!

(>.> Rose, Killa, we need to win this.)

CYS pride

10 years ago

(It's kind of out of our hands at this point, lol)

CYS pride

10 years ago

(Yeah, I know, lol. I was being silly. You have to admit, though, Endmaster's enthusiasm is oddly contagious.)

CYS pride

10 years ago

Basically, we need everyone to vote for CYS games. This is a small scale compettetion, so we can have this in the bag.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Where do we sign up? Or do we just head to the site and vote?

Either way, I'm going to need to see the link, because I can't navigate that Springthing page for shit. (at least not without going in circles at an embarrasing rate)

CYS pride

10 years ago

http://www.springthing.net/2014/vote.htm

http://www.springthing.net/2014/ 

CYS pride

10 years ago

What's "The Bibliophile" about? I'd find out, but anything with "Phile" on the end of it freaks me out. Given the other root word, it's probably just a guy who masturbates with a rolled up paperback, but I won't take any chances...

CYS pride

10 years ago

Keep in mind, you have to vote for at least half of the games for any of your votes to be registered, and a lot of the games look pretty good. smiley

CYS pride

10 years ago

Bear Creek is pretty damn good. I swear, you can SCREAM to pass the time and listen in on conversations.  Your grandpa and older sister will THANK you for touching them.  Fucking insane.

jaja but in all seriousness, I think it's up there in terms of interactivity.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Okay, I voted.  Good luck, everyone (from CYS)

CYS pride

10 years ago

You did play at least half of them, right?

CYS pride

10 years ago

No, I somehow missed the repeated instructions here and on the site that I needed to do that.

:P

CYS pride

10 years ago

I voted, guys! I gotta say, these were some good games, 'specially the ones we made here. (Fuck Peterpears. FUCK HIM! Worse than Hitler, more annoying than the guy Endmaster once called an "Annoying fucktard" at his worst, more braindead than Bob, more hateful and self-centered than Dick Cheney, less intelligent than TSR. Except he manages to have grammar.) But that Hexagon thing? That fucking HEXAGON STORY. The fact that somebody paid actual money to get that into a competition... Made me wanna dryheave in a corner for a few hours... I mean, seriously, they either have an obnoxiously high opinion of themselves, or a stupidly low opinion of anyone else!

CYS pride

10 years ago

Well, usually the Spring Thing gets 2 or 3 entries a year, so in previous years people would win a cash prize just for entering cheeky

CYS pride

10 years ago

Wouldn't it be great if other places paid you cash just for being there?

(... I mean, besides work.)

CYS pride

10 years ago

Well you'd have to pay $7 to enter... And then you get given $600 when you leave cheeky

CYS pride

10 years ago

So, what will you guys buy with that money if you win?

CYS pride

10 years ago

A gigantic flashing hat that says "FUCK YOU, PETERPEARS!"

CYS pride

10 years ago

Relax mate, here, take this pill

CYS pride

10 years ago

I don't want the pill, I want a gigantic flashing hat that will insult an anonymous internet user with words will likely get me arrested in public.

Like, I want to wear a baseball cap with a Las Vegas billboard attached. Maybe a megaphone screaming it, if possible.

CYS pride

10 years ago

And this poke *poke*.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Help! I'm being poked against my will!

CYS pride

10 years ago

This poke is for the pride of CYS, not for the wishes of a Sentinel who is apparently a penguin! Accept the pride, not the big light up insulting hats!

CYS PRIDE!

CYS pride

10 years ago

What pride? Half the site doesn't understand that I'm not a cloaca-having flightless bird! There's approximately 10 billion differences between penguins and penguinites!

CYS pride

10 years ago

Yeah! Real penguins have mallets cheeky

CYS pride

10 years ago

Real penguins have PRIDE

CYS pride

10 years ago

Anything can have pride. I have pride in being a member of CYS, and I take pride crushing the pride of others.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Good job. Now we need to get back to the point.

CYS pride

10 years ago

I'll tell you if I win.

CYS pride

10 years ago

I'll buy a little turnip of my very own heart

CYS pride

10 years ago

Story has a score of 8.

Not a score below 4.

Open it up today.

Score of 7, with 5 3s.

Well okay then.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Probably all from the same person cheeky

CYS pride

10 years ago

IT WAS YOU!!!!!!!!!!

CYS pride

10 years ago

Uhh... *Shifty eyes* Narp?

CYS pride

10 years ago

Eh. Happens, regrettably. My story has 1s, 2s, and 3s... xD pretty sure I don't deserve any of those, but... *shrug*

Funny, though, none of those reviewers seem to care to say why my story apparently deserved that rating. Briar is the only person to comment on my story since it was put back up. :P

CYS pride

10 years ago

And it's good ^_^

But yeah, I get annoyed when that happens. My game got a 2 the other day, which is kind of worse than a 1, 'cos if a generally popular game gets a 1, you can assume it's just someone being a jerk for no reason, but when it gets a 2, it's like... So you acknowledge it's not the worst game in the world, but you still think it's terrible... Thanks cheeky

CYS pride

10 years ago

Eh... in the case of your game, 1s must mean jealous troll and 2s must mean the reviewer had no taste. 

CYS pride

10 years ago

Or they got angry 'cos they couldn't figure out how to kill a wizard cheeky

CYS pride

10 years ago

Naw, that's what 3s are for.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Honestly, I'm pretty sure it's some sort of glitch. Getting 5 3s in one day (well, actually more like overnight) on a story which gets ratings as slowly as mine seems really unlikely. What probably happened is 1-2 people gave it that rating, and for some reason it counted theirs multiple times.

Oh well though, I didn't expect the story to stay as an 8 for long anyway haha.

CYS pride

10 years ago

xD My story gains ratings slowly, too, but I'm not sure about that one... still, hey, be proud of yourself for getting 8 in the first place. =)

CYS pride

10 years ago

Yeah, I'm guessing someone pressed the button, nothing happened, so they pushed it again, nothing happened again, so they pushed it again, again... And then it worked 3 times as well cheeky

CYS pride

10 years ago

Now it's 5 times though.

Sounds like...

<.< Foul play >.>

CYS pride

10 years ago

Could've sworn I read "Fireplay". Lol.

CYS pride

10 years ago

*Gasp* Fireplay's the culprit! I knew it! surprise

CYS pride

10 years ago

I declare innocence! :D Besides, wouldn't my high praise for the story root me out from being the criminal? lol

CYS pride

10 years ago

Pretty sure you've only praised it on Berka's site lol.

CYS pride

10 years ago

meh. :P

CYS pride

10 years ago

I read Briar's I thought it was very good.

CYS pride

10 years ago
Well the Sam Ashwell guy seems to think it isn't, which I totally dissagree with I think it's awesome especially with the time briar had to work on it. 160 pages in 15 days.

CYS pride

10 years ago

Meh, short time limit's not really an excuse for a mediocre game, but I do plan on making it more up to scratch once the comp's over.