Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

According to the one of the site's error messages:

A game may not be published unless at least 90 minutes have passed since first creating it. Spend some more time on the game; no one can create something worth publishing in 90 minutes.

Let's prove them wrong.

You have 90 minutes to write a storygame, start to finish. This is on the honor system, since I'm not inclined to try to find a 90-minute block of time that suits everyone. However, you must publish your game by the end of Sunday night -- 11:59 PM EST -- to be counted as a participant.

For this first challenge, there is no set theme. If you need inspiration, head to TV Tropes and hit that random button. ^_^

Ready? GO! 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Tagging the writing exercise participants, and a couple other folks who have been known to write storygames. ;)

@Danaos @NightBirdBlue @betaband @31TeV @Briar_Rose @ISentinelPenguinI @TaraGil @the_quiller @jamescoker1226 @LostConnection @Kiel_Farren @Cynical @ItAintPretty @Swiftstryker @TacocaT @Romulus @coins @Malkalack @Virtualide @Morgan_R @Fireplay @nmelssx @FeanorOnForge @EndMaster @BerkaZerka @SindriV @jjj-thebanisher @Sethaniel

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

After this weekend I might take this challenge up. Working on a Holmes story atm though...

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

If endmaster, Berka, 3J, or sindrv do it, this will be legendary.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Already did, it was called Love SICK.

Nowadays though it takes me about 90 minutes to finish one page. Ha ha.

But thanks for the offer.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Isn't  Love SICK the one you want primitive post-humans to find and build a religion off?  

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Haha hell yes. I'm doing this Sunday.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Lol! I got that same message with the Marvel game I made with my nephew. (And it's totally wrong. That game was awesome!)

I might take you up on the challenge depending on if I have any good ideas for a short game.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

...You're on. 

Edit: Actually, never mind. I just don't think that I can write a decent storygame in only 90 minutes...

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago
I'm with Nmel here. I'm far too slow to make anything decent in 90 minutes, but if anyone thinks they can manage it, they should go for it.

EDIT: At what point does it count as starting to make the storygame? If you brainstorm ideas during the day in your head or use an idea you've had for a long time, would it still be making a storygame in 90 minutes?

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Well, I may do a 24 hour challenge next weekend, depending on how this one goes. ;)

But yes, that's just actual writing time. 'Prewriting' (of whatever form) is a completely reasonable strategy.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

"The owl begins to rant at you about LGBT rights, so you pick up your bat and start swinging."

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

9_9

...this is interactive fiction, nmelssx, you've got to give people choices! And obviously you'd need a ranged weapon to hope to take me an owl out! XD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

No, he took a line from my story haha! Look up Bacon Wars, it's published now!

And if you take anything I say during the story offensively, you shouldn't

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

O_o

*reads*

*falls out of tree chair laughing* XD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

:)

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

¨Mmm. You could also use my mad capybara agility, to drag an owl out of the sky by leaping out of a tree branch.

Not that... anyone has the aglility of a capybara. Capybaras are above mankind. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

@Morgan R

Just wanted to add something... The message says "No one can create something worth publishing in 90 minutes."

So the challenge shouldn't just be to write a story game in 90 minutes, it needs to be a story game that's actually worth publishing... I know that's kind of the idea anyway, but I figure that maybe there should be a goal set for what rating the game is expected to get?

Exactly what rating would a game have to have for people on the site to consider it worth publishing? I personally would like to set my goal for a 5, but then I have played a few 4s and 3s on the site that I thought were worth the time it took to play them.

What do you think Morgan? Should there be a goal for what rating the game needs to get for it to be considered "worth publishing" and if so, what would that rating be?

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I'd certainly like to see 5+, but I think 3+ is probably more plausible. 

If people want to unpublish their storygames afterwards, to polish, expand, or just not inflict on the site's membership any longer, that's cool. Like any jam, this is really just an exercise to get people thinking and writing. ^_^

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Okey dokey! One more thing though... When exactly does the 90 minutes start? I mean, does brainstorming count or does it only start when you actually create the game in CYS?

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

"Well, I may do a 24 hour challenge next weekend, depending on how this one goes. ;)

But yes, that's just actual writing time. 'Prewriting' (of whatever form) is a completely reasonable strategy."

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I'd say the moment you create the game, the 90 minutes start ticking.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

This should be easy for me then. I write all my games in Word before I copy/paste them into CYS cheeky

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

You nagger :p

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Well, after breezing through yours, I kind of got the idea of what mine should look like. 90 minutes. I'll do it. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Because so far, I've gotten pretty good reception on my game, minus a single 1 (from Coins no doubt) and a 2 and a 3 (when it obviously merits more than those)

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

It's a good thing...?

I didn't rate it, but if I did I would probably give it a 4, or 5. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Woohoo! Do a backflip!

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Actually, never mind. I thought I could do it in 90 minutes, but that's just not my style. There's no way I would be able to finish in that time. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Don't let that stop you if you've got an idea!

Challenge yourself to get it done this weekend, or in less than ten days, or whatever deadline is actually useful to you. ^_^

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I am so down.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Finished my 90 minute story with time so spare! Bacon Wars should be out within 20 minutes. 4 CYS users makes appearances in the game.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

It sounds glorious.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

It is glorious! And even more important, it's out now! Give it a look everybody, 

It may have only taken 76 minutes, but I'm positive it's still better than any of the stories that have been published recently, with the exception of Invigilate

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

This is amazing.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Haha! I'm so glad you brought up A Day in Hell. It was the main inspiration for the story, since I had no idea what else I could come up with in such a short amount of time.

Believe it or not, an old story by Zero also served as motivation for this game.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I <4 you

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Sorry that your character dies no matter what path you take haha.

"The kitten is obviously homicidal, so you break into the nearest apartment, grab a toaster, and crush the kitten with it." 

^That was my favorite part right there lolol

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

There's only one problem with the game though... You never get to eat any bacon crying

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

You do actually! It's just that whoever eats the Bacon becomes possessed by Brittney Spear's spirit and goes on a cannibalism spree.

It may not seem like it, but the whole story ties together. You just have to explore all options if you want to get the full story.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Oh silly me. Can't believe I didn't figure that out. cheeky

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Hmmm. Seriously trying to decide what to make mine in. CYS = ratings and comments when I'm done. Twine = easier scripting, links anywhere. ChoiceScript = easier scripting, probably fastest.

Hmmmmmm...

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

90 minutes is not a lot of time!  Go with whatever's fastest!

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

That's what I'm thinking. I do like getting feedback, though...

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago
We could use this thread for feedback.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

CYS! Be loyal, Morgan! 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

...you must have me confused with someone else. XD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I'm thinking of doing a small Rabbit Simulator on CYS...when I have the time.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

DO IT. XD

...good luck finding time, though. The forum game version looks like a full-time job. ;P

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

The simulator is a fucking tyrant.  It stops and goes when it so pleases.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Really? I find CYS way easy to use than ChoiceScript... I guess it depends on how complicated the game is though. cheeky

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Well, it's mostly the lack of GUI. Which is going to slow you down if you don't remember how to do everything... but now that I'm used to it, it feels faster. I don't need to stop to create new pages or passages, I can just write. ^_^

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Thinking of writing one of these. Is the competition still open? I think I'm in a different timezone. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Since the deadline is Sunday night, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what timezone you're in right now. ^_^

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Cool. I might start writing one now, see how it goes. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Cool. Looking forward to seeing what you do! ^_^

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Finished my story! It took a little over the time limit though -_-

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

FYI, folks, it's okay to 'stop the clock' if you're interrupted and have to go do something else.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Moooorrrrr-gan. So are you almost done? ;O

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Haven't even started yet. Will probably have a chance this evening, though. ^_^

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Not to me! Personally I'm going to consider the challenge failed if I don't see the "Spend some more time on the game" message when I try to publish it. cheeky

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Sounds fun!  Let's do it.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Okay, done!

Erika Bakes A Cake

A fanfic of a non-existent anime!  With a lot of strange spacing that I didn't have time to correct, but at least (I think) the variables worked properly.  Three possible endings!  

Somehow, this game has a play length of 4/8?!  

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Super cute, and the puzzle was actually fun to solve. Nice work! ^_^

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Alright.  I got it!

"Manipulation!"  I hope you guys like it!

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

... I am having SO much trouble coming up with an idea for this game >.<

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I'm pretty sure you can think of something.  I don't know if I can help.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I think my problem is that I have too many ideas, but I don't know if I can squeeze any of them into 90 minutes. cheeky

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

___ Simulator.

^Most hectic fun you'll ever have for crash-course writing.  I just did it in Twine XD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I finally finished writing it! It took me 71 minutes and 15 seconds to write it, I present, The Hunt For Cake 3! It'll take a couple of minutes to get published, but I did it! 

EDIT: Now it's done!

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I like cake! heart

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

This looks cool. Sure, I'll give it a try. Are we aloud to have co-authors for it so it can be typed faster? I mean, if we have two co-authors that can do the same amount of work at the same speed, assuming that it takes the whole 90 minutes to finish the story game with only one person working on it instead of three, it could be done in 30 minutes. (if I did my math right)

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I have no idea about having co-authors, but you did your math right, considering if the authors all had the same amount of skill.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I was just wondering if that was okay. I doubt I'd find a non-trolling co-author that would actually work on it and has time/willingness to before the deadline. I since, well, I was thinking about doing a warrior cat game. Sounds easy enough to do, I might boost the overall rating of them, and I can always unpublish/delete it after this thing is done. I probably will since I doubt it would be well recieved.
*braces self for the unavoidable mass of insults concerning warrior cat games* 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

If you want, I'd be happy to help, but I have a very short attention span...

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

This is only if morgan approves of having co-authors in this thing. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Wouldn't want to break the rules...

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Aha! Morgan's online! @Morgan_R

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Sure, go ahead.  Just, don't um... make a copy of one.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Definitely not. I already think I know the general outline of what I'm going to do. Basically, I'm just going to use clans, the names, and a few other things like green cough in it. It's going to have it's own storyline though. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Good to hear.  Good luck!

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

:D Thank you. I really didn't expect this response for the warrior cat game, given most of the current views of it. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I think everyone just wants to see a WC story with actual grammar and plot. Those are practically nonexistent currently. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I've been playing with idea since before the warrior cat fan infux.

I had a couple pages done of one I started shortly after I joined.

I was kinda turned off of the idea, since the fallout from the crapfest of bad warrior cat games.

I still might make one eventually. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

You can do it.  Just make it good.  yes

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

It is on the back burner. xD

My work in progress list consists of seven different storygames.

I have two big works, Wolf Child and Fate Ripples, that I really want to finish.

I have another which I'm learning scripting with, which should be finished before the two bigger projects.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

... When I first saw this, I totally read "Fat Ripples" and jumped to the conclusion that you were writing a story about a man that was so obese, you could see ripples in his rolls when his fat jiggled... Now I can never take anything you write seriously again. >.<

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

XD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I think that WC stories might be judged before they've been played through because of all the shitty ones as of late. Someone needs to show that it isn't the idea that stinks, it's the way it's written. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

The thing is that a stereotype of warrior cat storygames are crappy has been created. 

People expect Warrior Cat Storygames to not be good.

People might avoid reading and rating just because they are warrior cat storygames.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Coauthors are fine. Coordinating multiple authors is likely to be a challenge in so little time, but if you want to, go for it! ^_^

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Okay. :)

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I'll do one some time tonight.

I don't know what it will be about.

I was thinking about a Warrior cat one, but the paths I would want to make for one couldn't be done in 90 minutes.

I might do one regarding a character from one of my week one writing assignments or in one of the worlds associated with them. Maybe going into Michael Summers world or Alison's world or maybe even the good alien contact world.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Has anyone noticed that no one rates 90 minute games?  Is that like for competition or something?

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

People have rated them, it just takes 30 minutes for it to show up as rated.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Oh, okay.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I give up. I just can't write a storygame in 90 minutes.
All my ideas require using scripting, which I am not very good at messing with at the moment, or variables which take too much time to set up.

Two pages, with a variable and some scripting, took me 20 minutes.

I'm such a slow writer when typing.
I can write pages in an hour when writing on paper.
I can barely manage a full page of paper in an hour when typing. :(

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Oh, bummer.  Well, maybe just keep trying.  Maybe make it more simple, or just keep doing your idea, but don't do it for this particular event.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Aw... Well, I'm thinking next weekend will be a longer jam. Because really, 90 minutes is kind of crazy. I just figured it might be a fun challenge, but if it's not working for you, no big deal. Plenty more minutes available if you've got an idea you want to work on. ^_^

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Give us twenty-four hours. If I write at a story all day, I'm sure it will be pseudo-decent. 

Pseudo-decent. Like everything I write! 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Yeah, I was thinking 24... dunno if I want to contribute to folks pulling all-nighters, though. XD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I would do an all-nighter. Assuming it's Saturday... I don't think I can afford to attend class with NO sleep. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Luckily my school has Monday off!

#LaborDayWeekend

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Oh yeah! I have Labor Day off as well... I think Morgan be talking about seven days time, though. Also, happy Saturday!!!!! 

EDIT: Oh wait, it's now Sunday. SHIT. I JUST LOST  A DAY. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

According to the site it's Sunday, it's really still Saturday... Chillax, Bruh.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

No. It's 12:03 EST

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

ERMAHGERD YOU'RE RIGHT!!! IT'S ALL A FUCKING CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!!!

But no, I live in Arizona so I'm on Mountain Time... Hmm... Mountain Time sounds like a good name for a sci-fi time-travel storygame... There you go Malklack, a new story.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Capy thinks you are an infidel, for thinking Capy's servant would right about anything not related to Capy. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Eh, I tried. Also *write

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Capy will claim your soul on the moment of your death. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Oh no!

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Is that a securitron, protectron, or lake lurker in the background?

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

It's a securitron, I believe. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

After reading them all, I personally think Dispiteous is the best.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Offt... Owned b*tches

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I think Erica Bakes a Cake is better. I didn't like the writing style of Dispiteous much at all, and the plot didn't make much sense.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I liked Prepare to Die better than the cake one, it had no real choices and was a tiny bit pointless. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I mean, prepare to die was basically a game of "Use Sword" or "Use bow" and it was pretty obvious which to use in each situation. The writing was good, but the plot struck me as too ambiguous and the choices were much too predictable.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

At least there were proper choices! In Cake your options were just what colour ingredients to use, and it made no difference!

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I'm pretty sure the colors and ingredients decided what ribbon you were awarded at the end of the game.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

really? I got the same one every time? anyway, the colour of a ribbon isn't much of a varied ending. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I'm not sure, let's ask. @Sethaniel

Well, considering the coloring of a ribbon decides who won the competition, I think it does make a difference haha.

What ending did you get?

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

yellow ribbon every time. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I meant what place did you finish?

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

idk i think yellow was honorable mention. maybe i'm just a shitty baker haha

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Yeah, you win if you get the blue ribbon.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

The yellow ribbon means you got 3/4 choices correct.

The endings aren't that much different from each other (I only had 6 minutes at that point.)  there's one for winner, one for zero correct choices, and one for any honorable mention. Pretty much all that changes is Karin and Garu's reaction to your cake, and if you get losercake, Erika says something to Ren.

90 minutes is not much time at all!  I had more "choices" planned originally.  There was more of a dating sim element, more interaction with the characters, and you got to choose who you wanted to share your cake with in the end.

(Also, since someone asked: Akuma Kira Erika isn't a real show.)

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Either way, you did a great job man. I didn't find the premise that interesting, but the writing was amazing.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Thank you ^_^ 

Yours is pretty well amazing too, you know.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I haven't played your game all the way through, but I laughed at what I did read. Plus, that does sound like it could be a real manga.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Then, why is your game in the fanfic section.

My life is a lie!

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

xD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Erica made me laugh, but it wasn't as good as some of the others.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Hell no! Bacon Wars is best! ^_^

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

:D

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Bacon came close second best!

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Ah right, yes. I forgot that it wasn't written in the time limit.

If Dispiteous technically doesn't count, then I think Bacon Wars has won the number 1 seat.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I'm almost done with prewriting my game. I expect to have it published by 12:00 P.M, cdt.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Prewriting?

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Yep. Morgan said it's perfectly kosher. I'm essentially planning my story and doing a little writing in advance.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I wish I knew that before haha. Bacon Wars was done all on the fly, I could've made it awesome.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

It was awesome!

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I didn't and probably won't play it, because of the bacon.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

what have you got against bacon? i personally don't understand all the hype around it, but who are you to judge the way people enjoy their meat? 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Someone I really, really loathe literally forced me to eat bacon once. Now, even the mention of it makes me feel uneasy. Now that I think about it, though, I did play Killa's game. I was gritting my teeth pretty hard, though.

There are other reasons, but it's a little too early in the morning for that kind of discussion.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I feel for you, bacon isn't the best, especially when forced upon you (what a bizzare situation). And idk where you are in the world, but 'down under' its 9pm...

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Haha, I'm in Central Daylight Time. It's 5:52 A.M.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

6 hours to write a story? Huhjeebus? O.O

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

AM?!? what the fuck are you doing up at 6 IN THE MORNING????

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

It's 7am here :p

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

While I am staying at my dad's girlfriend's house right now (my dad and his gf are out of town), I am used to staying at my maternal grandmother's house. There, my grandfather usually wakes me up at 5:00 or 5:30, when he goes to watch the news.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

*sobbing* you poor, poor soul. how could anyone be so cruel? 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

That sounds sarcastic, but I will admit that he and I don't get along very well. Usually, he'll start yelling at me for something I say or start going on about how "animals don't have souls." The stuff he yells at me about is usually really stupid shit. Like, one time, I was explaining Doctor Who to one of my younger cousins and he started yelling at me about the whole "reincarnation" thing (which to be honest has nothing to do with reincarnation. Then, when I explained that it was just a tv series, he said "well, at least you know what's right." I was so furious that I left and stayed away from them for several days. To make things worse, at one point, he even told me that reincarnation (the western concept of it) actually seemed somewhat plausible.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I was being legitimate, I truly believe that waking up before 9 am is one of the worst things you can do to a person. As for living in an argumentative household, I spent 12 hours in a park one time (at night) because I'm so stubborn -_-

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Ah, I usually just come here to my dad's gf's, or I sleep in my car.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

You won't play it because of the Bacon? But why?

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

See above. I've heard really good things about it, though, and I actually did play through it, but only once.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I hope you liked it!

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

It was funny, don't get me wrong. I just couldn't play through more than one, really short path.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Oh yeah, I feel it. I wrote it with the intention of people playing through all the choices, that way they get the most laughs out of it as possible.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Still, you're much better at comedy than me. My 90 min was originally going to be a game called "Foxssassin", where you play a fennec fox tasked with infiltrating a clan of warrior cats and killing them all.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I vote for continuing to write that story. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Oh yeah, it was getting too serious, of course. You actually had the options of poisoning the fresh kill pile or waiting until they went to war and then eating all of their babies...without any ketchup. There was also the option of convincing them to rebel against the twolegs, which would result in them getting brutally slaughtered.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

go! go! go! write with the swiftness of the fleeting wind, my friend!

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I'll save that one for the 24 hour challenge; I don't want to rush it.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I guess it's just me then.  Or playa knows his audience  I didn't think it was funny, but everyone mentioned by name in Bacon Wars said it was hilarious.

It really felt like a true 90 minute game.  I mean this in a good way- it read exactly like the author sat down with no pre-planned idea in mind and just wrote straight through.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

More of me appealing to the audience than anything, in all honesty. Everybody loves being recognized in a story game, even if they're being murdered. The main humor I find in it is the fact that it's poking fun at members of the site, which makes it instantly more relatable.

The game somehow managed to got five 8's though. I have no idea what that's about. I thought it was worthy of a 5 in all honesty.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

But only to readers who know the people you're talking about. 

(Made me think of:  There's several stories on CYS that use a lot of site members. Almost all of them are people from years ago that nobody really remembers.)

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

True, and in time the story will become dated, but it was still a lot of fun to write.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Morgan berating you for calling it a boy will never get old. (My favorite part was the transgendered owl. After that killing Killa with his toaster.)

But yeah, I thought it was enjoyable. While my fav (writing wise) was Seth's game, Bacon Wars was just hilarious. One of the few games that does random well.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Okay, I got an idea now!
Now I just have to plot the story for a few hours before I actually make the game and quickly throw it all together... Hurray for cheating! ^_^

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Hey, don't dig on me. I can't create a plot in a matter of minutes and then write in all down swiftly, as other people can.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

That's the reason why the 90 minute limit is in place haha. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

No, I mean, that if I don't have a plan ahead of time, I will spend 75 of those 90 minutes staring at a blank page.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Alright haha. Exactly what does "a little bit of writing" amount to anyway? Like the introduction pages?

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

A skeleton for most of the pages, so I can know where the story's going. I'll flesh it out later.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

... That kind of undermines the whole point of the challenge.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

We'll let Morgan decide that.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Outlining is fine. Writing anything that you actually copy-paste into the storygame is not.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Hmm...okay. That will be a problem.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

That will be a great help.  I'll try to come up with something compelling to write about.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Ahh... Dammit, that was my plan! sad

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Wait....So I can't write a page on here and like copy it onto another page but change a few words on it?

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

If we can do all the background work and it not be included or counted against the 90 minutes, I might try it.  I don't have an idea worth writing about, but I still have twelve hours to try and come up with something.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Hmm...I have a few ideas I can chunk at you.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Okay...shoot.  I'm all ears.

Edit:  Is this going to be one of those 75 min ordeals?

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Sorry, I didn't see this post.

Well, you can always take my foxssassin idea. XD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Yeah...No...I think the authors of warrior cats do a pretty good job of assassinating them themselves.  XD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Ah, come on. You could really have fun. You get to make fun of fennec foxes and the sexual fantasies of hormonally imbalanced pre-teens.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

After the 24-hour challenge, we should have a co-author project, where we need to work with someone else to complete the project.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

... Yeah, this isn't gonna work. This is taking WAY longer than I thought it would and I'm not gonna get it done in time. (Plus I thought I was allowed to copy/paste stuff and I'm not.) But if Morgan ends up doing a 24 hour challenge, I might enter it into that. ^_^

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Aw, sorry... Next weekend, then. ^_^

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Can't wait till' that one!  yes

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Yippie! ^_^

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I tried it. And I got insanebutvain to co-author to speed up the process, but we were only able to get all the pages & what would happen per page set up and about half the pages actually detailed.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I definitely encourage you to keep going. If the challenge got you started, great, but if you couldn't finish in time, don't give up on your game. Any finished game is an accomplishment. ^_^

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Okay. Now that I don't have to worry about a deadline, I'll expand on the plot-line and turn it into an actuall story game with more the the current 24-ish pages.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I wrote one for it yesterday (Sunday), and I did it in about 86.78 minutes.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Nice! And sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, I meant to post a link for you once I was on my computer. >_<

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Thanks! And that's okay. I can make posting work on all computers but my own.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Is the competition over? I have no idea what time it is where you live, but it seems like most people have written their stories...

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I believe it ends at 11:59pm EST...I live on the east coast, and it's 6:35PM over here

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Yep. EST is also site time, so you can PM yourself to get the time. ^_^

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Well, I finished my entry.  It's short and sweet.  As soon as I'm able to publish it, I will.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

It's now published, if anyone wants to check it out.  I know it's short and not much of a challenge, but would it be worth reading if fleshed out and more content added?

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Nice! I think it would work better if reality didn't change based on your choices. Like the cops should find the bodies.  A

Fleshing it out more could be cool, too. ^_^

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I don't understand.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Maybe I misread something? It seemed like there were bodies in the house when you go in, but if you don't, the cops just tell you it turned out to be abandoned.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I just reread it and I didn't see anything.  But I may be too close, where did it fall apart?

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Err... are you not highlighting the white blocks? There's text in 'em. Sorry, should've said, it's kind of the standard 'no spoilers' thing around here.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

GIANT POTATO MUSKRATS.

How do I work this confounded white text!? 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

The button that I boxed in is what you need to press.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Isn't the one to the left of it for the color of the font?

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Yes. The one he was asking for, is the one to change the background colour.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Oh.  Okay.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I didn't even see that.  I didn't want to give anything away for making choices that didn't lead to the gruesome ending.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

It was just me experimentin' with it. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Did you check mine out?  It's not whited out, and it may show up in some browsers, but not mine!  ;)

Edit:  The ratings look promising so far, average 3.85, I have some ideas as to where this story could lead.

ReEdit:  11:17CST Rechecked mine, it has a solid 3.5, which is higher than I think I would've rated it, considering that I didn't even have much of a defined story.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Well, it's up to you. Changing reality like that is a time-honored CYOA tradition, it's just one I don't personally like.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I might just remove those particular paths when I rewrite.  I want to give it some more time and see how the ratings go before I make my final decision.  How long should I leave it up?

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Totally up to you. Publish a game and you're a participant. I didn't say anything about leaving it up. ;)

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I might give it until sometime tomorrow.  At least then I might get more that 8 ratings.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

That's my opinion, too.  I generally prefer multiple-ending games where the underlying truth remains constant. I think it makes replayability more enjoyable because the players choices have a more understandable impact on the outcome.

I remember a mystery game where the identity of the killer changed depending on which love interest you pursued.  

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Don't you think it makes it more fun though? If there's only one ending, it isn't much of a CYS anyway

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

No, I don't mean it has to only have one ending.  (My phone cut off most of what I wrote.)

i mean like: the intro was, you explored the mansion looking for clues.  The murder itself was always the same.  If you chose Setsuna as your date, the killer was Seishiro, who was jealous of the victim for dating Setsuna.  But if you chose Nanami as your date, she was the killer, because she was actually psycho.  Also, if Nanami was the killer, then Seishiro and Setsuna were a couple, and Setsuna never dated the victim.  The reality of the world changed depending on your actions, which makes no sense.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

But it means that every time you play, the story is different. Obviously these story games are tailored more to a 'play once' sort of tactic. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

What would be cool is if you had several characters, and, at the beginning of the game, a dice roll is made that will determine who the killer is and other aspects of the story change to reflect that. That way, every time you play, it really is a different game.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

That would be a great game, but it would be a huge trek. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Yeah, but I think it would be possible to do it. Not to mention that replayability would be much higher.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Well, yeah.  Randomized killer I got no problem with. Nanami having all the same dialogue in the intro, but then sometimes she's a stepford smiler yandere and other times she's a genki girl and everything that happened in the past being completely different is nonsensical.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

What I mean about replayability:  

example- if I reach a dead end where, say, Clover kills me because she didn't trust me- then the next time I play I'm going to be looking for an opportunity to earn clovers trust.  If I die because I fell down the stairs in the dark and broke my neck, I'm going to look for a flashlight.

But if the games reality isn't constant- say, clover murdering me is simply based on whether I picked the right door or the left, and if I choose the other door, she's not paranoid at all and the game continues- then I'm going to feel like I wasted my time trying to find a solution.  

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

That is true...

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I think mine should be up now.... :)

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Oh wow!  About an hour until deadline!

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

...tell me about it. >_<

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

@Morgan_R any ideas for a winner? *nudge*

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Ohh... that makes me anxious!

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

This is like NaNoWriMo -- if you completed the challenge, you win! Unfortunately, I don't know if I'm going to make it myself...

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

No... pressure...

Tick tock... tick tock...

(Just kidding XD)

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

:p @insanebutvain

you took longer than 90  min, and you apparently rewrote a story you'd already written, if the "thanks to Romulus for reading an earlier version of this story" is any indication.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Nope, just got a bit discouraged and got romulus to check how it was going. this was, of course, before I added in all the murder and incest etc. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Oh geez!  Less than 15 minutes!

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Quick, play the ocarina, but make sure you have all your rupees stashed in the bank first.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Too late!

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

It's 11:59! And I made a Storygame! XD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

YAY!!

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

xD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Lol!  Fantastic!

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I do believe mine was the worst of the lot, so... congratulations, everyone! You did great! XD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Except for James, who spent six hours writing a storygame, only to find out that he couldn't copy-paste it into the editor, even though it is of roughly the same quality as everyone else's stories and only took so long to write because James has always been slow at everything he did and wasn't even able to finish all of the questions on his ACT exam. But, that's alright. James just sucks.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Bradley laughed at this out loud, and will soon precede to ask you to publish it anyway.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I'm going to take my time and lengthen it a little, maybe. Either that or I'll just completely forget about it.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

That sucks...  But, now I'm not going to do that now.  

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Aw. But you should publish it anyway! It's not like you're missing out on a prize here, or anything. If you made a storygame because of the challenge, that's great! ^_^

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Well, I should say I spent 6 hours writing 3/4 of a storygame. I haven't quite gotten to the true ending yet. 

And, it's not your fault. I really shouldn't whine about it, but my misery makes people laugh, so I thought "why the Hell not?"

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Wasn't James bragging just recently that he was about to receive his associates even though he's only 18?   I think it might not matter if he can't complete the ACT.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Yeah, I still made a good score, but I wasn't able to complete any of the categories besides English.

I really should be more humble.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Don't sweat it, Morgan. At least it was better than COC... but that's not much of a feat, I"m sorry to say. xD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I beg to differ. You actually had a story. And items. And character interaction. And humor.

Whereas I wasted way too much time hitting 'random' on TV Tropes and then tried to make a storygame about it. XD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Hey, COC was cool. It was a little linear and you make fun of people with full body fox tattoos, but it was still pretty good.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

The character was making fun of a kitsune with full body fox tattoos. I really don't think you should find that offensive xD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Epic XD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

That was a valiant effort, but I don't know...xD

Edit:  But at least the storyline didn't change.  ;)

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Well, I actually randomized the random TV Tropes link... which, in retrospect, was dumb. It would've worked much better to present the tropes in a specific order, ending with Screen Name, and then follow it up with 'your internet is out.'

Oh well. It's not like it's actually worth fixing. XD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I went back and checked and I got several different tropes, I should have checked it out longer the first time.  After all, you did spend...time...on it.  xD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I fixed it. I mean, I spent almost an hour on it, I might as well spend two more minutes to make it suck slightly less. >_<

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

XD  I spent most of the weekend trying to come up with something to write about, then just threw it together.  I was finished writing it when the inspiration hit.  xD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Maybe I'm missing something, but it ends....rather abruptly. Everytime.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

There are technically three endings! XD

But, yes. The shortest path through is probably like five seconds of reading.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Is that the one where you give up and go to bed?

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Nope, 'just start writing' takes you straight to the end. Which is the beginning. Which amuses me, but I never claimed that my sense of humor made any sense at all... XD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

*Starts beating head against keyboard*

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

...sorry. XD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

XD 

A winner is you.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

That was fun.  Looking forward to next challenge.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Cool. I think it'll be for 24 hours, starting at midnight on Friday night and ending at midnight on Saturday night. Nobody's obligated to spend that whole time working on their game, of course. XD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I take that as a personal challenge. 

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Good, because I have to get up and walk around once in a while.   xD

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I'll do the 24 hr one, if I don't have a huge mound of homework to do.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Wow, 24 hours...  That's a long time.  Is it possible to begin the project earlier just for time's sake?

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Nope! Unlike the 90 minute challenge, where you could split the time up, here everyone gets the same window of time. If you have an idea you want to get started on, though, you should go for it -- just do something else for the challenge.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

You're saying this in the precipice to the peak of the work year.

You're kidding me, right?

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Um. Sorry? I'll do it again in the future, probably... or you can host one yourself, whenever works for you.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Since everybody wins, I'm just going to point out that my story has the highest rating... so I win.

Seriously though, everybody did a great job just turning a story in. That was harder than I expected it to be.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

XD

Yeah, I dunno if I'll be repeating this particular jam, but I'm glad people had fun with it! For certain values of 'fun', anyway. ;)

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

I wrote something truly insane, and basically said "FUCK YOU" to logic and reason.

Oh yeah, definitely fun.

90 Minute Storygame Jam!

9 years ago

Still a contest if not everyone has done it yet.  :P