Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

AYT's Motivational Thread

7 years ago

Hi, guys! It's me again. I wanted to make this thread so everyone could see the progress of the CYStian history book and request some events to be added later in the game. The setup is like this:

Beginning (Chapter One, Part One-???) 1/??? Finished

Middle (???-???) 0/??? Finished

End (???-???) 0/??? Finished

So, I have the first page, which I'm going to go ahead and copy/paste here. The lucky cameos are Honeydusk842, Malk (no idea how to spell that :P), and ISentinelPenguinI. Congrats, you're featured :P
Your face lay pressed against the glass, you half-asleep and the car puttering along. The soft leather seats beckon you towards rest, and you struggle to stay conscious. Suddenly, the car hits the brake, and your face pulls back and slams into the glass due to the sheer inertia. You rub your cheek and look out the window. The sun is shining, the sky is a beautiful cobalt blue, and the palm trees bend to and fro in the wind. Your eyes light up. You're finally here! After an hour on the street, you legs are awfully stiff. You click the release button for the seatbelt and open the door. The fresh sea air blows into the car as you toss a few dollars in the taxi driver's direction and slam the door shut. The small, antique, yellow car putters away as you look up at your new hotel. You extend your suitcase's handle and stride down the red velvet carpet, the glass doors only yards away. Suddenly, as you put one foot to the ground, a capybara leaps in your path.

He's wearing a gold necklace and an MLG cap, shouldering a rifle. He spits out a piece of tobacco into a nearby spittoon at the guard's station. You stare at the animal. This is incredulous! A capybara guard? You feel the need to laugh at the big hamster, but it quickly points the rifle at your chest. "Whatcha want, squid? Can't you see the hotel's closed?"

The capybara's beady eyes slice though your body, taking in your items: a wallet, watch, hotel coupon, a receipt.... You squint at the large rodent. "It's closed?" You ask innocently. You really hadn't known it was closed, so you weren't entirely lying.

The rodent emits an annoyed sigh as it lowers the rifle. "Alright, squirt. First warning. You don't want to mess with SenPen."

SenPen? Who the heck was SenPen? You walk off the lush carpet and sit down at a park bench. You google "SenPen" on the Internet, but nothing comes up other than a sequin-covered fountain pen. Frustrated, you sit at the park bench, no one sitting beside you. Suddenly, another taxi pulls up and another person, a girl with light hair and white garments, exits the vehicle. The capybara groans and points the rifle at the girl. "Didn't you hear what I told the other guy? Hotel's f***ing closed."

The girl is terrified, but she waddles awkwardly to the side and sits beside you. She looks up at the cobalt sky, her green eyes shining in the sunlight. She turns to you.

"Hi, I'm Honeydusk," she says, a smile parting her lips.

You feel your face flush. "I'm, uh, Squidling." You really hadn't thought of a name before you came here, so you just thought of something. 

Honeydusk smiles gently. "Cool name. Matches your hair." She points out your jet-black hair and giggles a little. "So, you saw that capybara guy too?"

"Yeah, he's a little pushy and annoying, but I'm sure I'd like him. Seems like a nice guy when he's not on guard duty."

She smiles again. Why does she smile so much? "Yeah. I really like the fact that I'm not alone here whilst waiting for the hotel to open." 

You don't know what to say. 

7 years ago

So, what's up with the first person? I thought this was a history story? Shouldn't it be in third person? Or is this just the beginning where the hero meets someone who tells them the story of the realm?

7 years ago

This is the beginning where the hero meets an ally who tells them the history of the hotel (or site) and is befriended. It's like the Hero's Journey-- the call (which is when the hero arrives), the refusal, the departure, and the return. The hero will meet an ally at the hotel, they will undergo a series of tests, and leave the hotel with experience.

7 years ago

*Nods*

Okay then.

7 years ago

Well, thanks for your input ^-^ Shall we return to the villain thread?

7 years ago

Eh, why not? :)

7 years ago

Um, did you ask their consent? And wouldn't this NOT be first person?

7 years ago

It's not first person, it's second.

7 years ago

Okay then. And what about the cameos? Don't you need everybody?

7 years ago

I'll need a couple of influential people, yes. I'll get around to asking for consent....later, for people to be featuring later. Or now. I'm a master procrastinator.

7 years ago

Good luck, buddy.

7 years ago

Lookin' good so far.

7 years ago

Thanks, Raven ^-^

7 years ago

I am Canadian. I should be wearing a toque, not on MLG hat. 

7 years ago

I'll edit that in, thanks for telling me. 

7 years ago

#Derpinoforroomservice2k16

Lookin' good so far.

7 years ago

Gotta get those bacon pancakes m8

7 years ago

*throws bacon pancakes at the guy who ordered room service* Here's your food, shitface!

7 years ago

Totally putting that in

7 years ago

Wait

Waiiit no

He's more hospitable than that. He just gives them the food, he doesn't throw it.

7 years ago

Alright, if you insist. But, ah, you'll be a little rude if they order too much food, like NORMAL PEOPLE. And you'll be nice if they seem chill with you. If the player's like Brennon, you'll bust the door down and bring Kiel in. :P, if he'd like to be in it.

7 years ago

Hell yeah. Room service by day, troll stopper by night.

7 years ago

Totally! Just asking, pot roast or garlic bread?

7 years ago

Garlic bread.

7 years ago

Kay, great, that's a choice down ^-^

7 years ago

This is why I admire you. I can't wait till you finish! Get working pretty please! 

But may I ask, who's Honeydusk? 

7 years ago

I'm flattered, really. Nice to know I'm an inspiration. 

Honeydusk is a rather new member of the community and I'm just using her as an example of a good noob. If you want, I'll add you in as front desk. 

7 years ago

Oh I see, that must be why I don't recognize her. And I'd love to be front desk! Thanks for inviting me! I can be any personality you want that can make for a good laugh.

7 years ago

*ahem* noob

7 years ago

Ehh, she is a noob, sure, but if you really want an example, I personally tend to think of stereotypical noobs as people who show more excitement over participation.

7 years ago

Tenouttaten

7 years ago

Thanks, Tim. If you want, I think you'll be good as lifeguard.

7 years ago

... I, uh... don't think that'd be a good idea...

7 years ago

*Raises hand*

Excuse me mistress, may I have a cameo as well?

7 years ago

Sure, I'll add you in. Sent's going to be chief of security, Malk's a guard, Warriorstar's going to be front desk, Claw's assistant manager, and I'm manager. Just a little list of who's what. So, what would you like?

7 years ago

Hmm. Well, I would like to be portrayed as a friendly and exaggerated character. Do think any character spots could be filled?

7 years ago

Friendly and exaggerated? How about chauffeur or chef?

7 years ago

Haha! Both good choices. Uhhh. Hmm. I guess you can choose whatever one. I really can't decide.

7 years ago

I'll add you in as chef/waiter, then! ^-^

7 years ago

Yay! \(>u<)/

7 years ago

You got room for one more cameo...heh heh? *Intensely nervous*

7 years ago

Progress?

And if I were to make a cameo/appearance, I'll be a cyborg mercenary, just like my character in Will11's Knights of CYStia. With the exception that I don't wear a helmet.

Probably will be a helpful guy -- telling infos about the place, history, etc. Is also a nut on war and military stuff (as always).

7 years ago

Janitor

7 years ago

Fark you >:(

7 years ago

You best watch your tone, else you'll be on bathroom duty for a week.

7 years ago

I'm a helpful person, but I don't like it when someone fucks with me.

7 years ago

Exactly! You'll make a great Custodian!

7 years ago

Will do ^-^

7 years ago

Thanks!

Just like Tim said, a custodian would be good. A visitor is also acceptable.

7 years ago

Custodian, visitor, and cyborg mercenary....How about a cyborg who lives in the hotel and is the custodian? XD

7 years ago

It is weird for a mercenary for taking a part-time job as a custodian xD

Someone who visits the place for his business would be better. But the player can ask him for informations and interests.

7 years ago

Ah. Custodian business! Sure, you can be like a little info center for the player.

7 years ago

Is also a nut for wars and military stuff. Can be talked to about that sort of things, and he might give the player some tips and advices for making war/action stories or conflicts.

Custodian business? Nah, preferably meeting with a client for more dirty jobs.

7 years ago

It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it. 

7 years ago

Okay then... I'm in. But can I solve some problems with guns and plasma blades?

7 years ago

Totally. Sounds awesome. 

7 years ago

Putting up some action drama and violence in the storygame would be a good idea. Much better if they can tell some stories at the same time.

7 years ago

You can put me in anywhere. Bellhop?

7 years ago

Pictured you more like a female guard, but sure, I can do that!

7 years ago

Hey, can you put me in the story as well? If you do, then could I be that weird guy who always hangs out in the lobby yet never seems to actually go to a hotel room? I'd also like be a generally nice person since I do not like being a jerk.

Also, the story looks great. I will certainly love to read it when you publish you storygame.

7 years ago

Those guys? Sure. I'll make sure to put you in. So many people! :D

Thanks. You make me blush.

7 years ago
*waves hands around wildly* i'm on the internet i'm on the internet!

7 years ago

Ah so you must be Honeydusk I see. (Nice observation Sherlock...)

7 years ago

I feel like this will be hilarious. So....

Go AYT, GO!

7 years ago

GO THROATY GO!   \(0u0)/

7 years ago

Ew.

7 years ago

... Zag, I advise you to think before you post from now on.

7 years ago

<.<

Srry gys

7 years ago

XD

I think you're getting a little too excited, Zaggy. Oh, yeah, that's going to be your name in the game!

7 years ago

Okay, sounds good.

7 years ago

Beginning (Chapter One, Part One-???) 2/??? Finished

After a long period of silence between you and the light-haired girl, the capybara stops patrolling. He raises a walkie-talkie to his face that apparently just appeared out nowhere and begins to speak. "Hey, SenPen? Yeah, I've got two stragglers at the northeast end of the building. Hotel's just opened." The capybara ends his speech, releasing the button, and waits for a response from 'SenPen'. The reply is almost deafening. The handheld radio device nearly short-circuits itself. The capybara nearly cries out in the ear-torture that is the sound of SenPen's voice.

"I SAID LET THE GUESTS IN," screeches the radio, "NOT THREATEN THEM. YOUR GUARDSHIP WILL BE REVOKED IF YOU DON'T STOP ABUSING THE HOTEL VISITORS. NOW DO WHAT I SAID. LET THEM IN! MALK, BE CAREFUL."

The capybara, apparently known as 'Malk', immediately shuts the device off, drops it on the ground, and crushes it under his immense weight. He scatters what's left of it and smiles warmly to you and Honeydusk. "Come in," he says, opening the door. "Just talk to Warriorstar and she'll get you your keys."

You and Honeydusk exchange worried looks, but stand up together and take your luggage in. As soon as you two step in, she audibly gasps. The hotel lobby is beautiful, covered in pristine white marble and red satin couches. There is a beautiful fountain at the end of the room and wide, crystal-clear windows standing almost every two yards. Sunlight streams through the glass and lights up the beautiful room and highlights a young woman with blue hair at the front desk. Could this be Warriorstar? You take a tentative step toward her, and her head jolts up. She pushes her mouse to the side and smiles widely. "Hi, welcome to Hotel CYStia! What can I do for you?"

"Uh," you say, connecting with her ruby red eyes, "we just came in to get our room keys. We were just outside."

Warriorstar laughs. "Did Malkalack let you in? He's such a joker." She clears her throat and looks at the two of you from behind her desktop computer. "Anyway, help yourself to some margaritas and cocktails before we get your room keys prepared. What's your name?"

You study her closely. She's wearing a blue blouse and black jeans, and in her breast pocket lays a pen. She notices you staring and coughs uncomfortably. You flush with embarrassment, but tell her your name anyway. "I'm Squidling and this is Honeydusk," you say, your cheeks reddening. The woman nods curtly and pushes back in her office chair, swirling to the back counter and pushing herself back. She is holding a clipboard now, and is quickly tallying your name down. She looks up at Honeydusk and winks. 

"Okay, you're both covered, just go ahead and check out our margarita bar and feel free to explore the outdoor pool we've got in the back." 

7 years ago

7 years ago

Thanks xD

7 years ago
So in two days you went from 1 page done to 2 pages done.

Hey, that's a 100% increase! Keep up that pace and you'll have a massive story in no time!

7 years ago

:D

7 years ago

Now you have to write two pages to keep up!

Then 4 after that.

Then 8.

Then 16...

64 PALMS!

Sounds good so far, beeteedubs.

7 years ago

Notice:

I've been working a lot and so has Claw on this game. I've decided to postpone the posting of the newest and most recent page I've written because Claw needs some recognition, too. So let's give him a round of applause and let him share what he's written.

@Claw2k11

7 years ago

*applause*

7 years ago

applau-a- ACHOO 

uh..sory

7 years ago

*applause*

YEAH GO CLAW

7 years ago

I feel honored by this, but you really didn't have to do this, not that I mind I was simply doing my job as a co-author and I'll keep doing it. For once, this story actually has me motivated to work on it.

7 years ago

Hey, I insist, you've done a lot of hard work and you should receive praise. 

7 years ago

Then I gracefully accept your praise. However, I've added another page, however, I'm not sure how much I'll be able to work on this story now that I suddenly started getting inspiration to work on two of my current stories. Though don't worry, I'll add at least a page or two every day(even if it is from my phone).

7 years ago

Alright, good. You should be able to work on your other stories, so that's ok. I'm usually on mobile anyways XD

7 years ago

Wait... so you mean that you wrote those on a mobile phone? Because if you did, then I'm very impressed!

7 years ago

I actually use a tablet and a keyboard, so I'm cheating. 

7 years ago

Claw, I ONLY use a cell phone.

7 years ago

Man, you guys. How can you use mobile? I loathe writing on mobile.

7 years ago

I don't like writing on a PC. I'm a lot slower.

It's like texting.

7 years ago

I use my iPad to access CYS way more often than I do my desktop computer. I can write fine, but I'd prefer a computer.

7 years ago

I have an iPad and a Bluetooth connected keyboard. It's how I type so fast.

7 years ago

It's kind of unnerving how nice AYT is. I'm waiting for her to reveal a horrible secret.

7 years ago

I'm nice? Why, thank you. It's a talent of mine.

Horrible secret?!? You've blown my cover!

7 years ago

Honestly, I've always pictured you like Krombopulos Michael, that level of evil kindness.

7 years ago

I'm not evil. I promise ^-^

Is it that face that makes you think of me like that?

7 years ago

I can just see you gleefully murdering people, but being really nice about it.

"Hi, I'm AYT, pleasure to meet you." 

*sticks knife in stomach.

"Well, it was super knowing you, sorry to bother you. Can I have my knife back, please? It's stuck in your lower intestine."

7 years ago

That may be how At_Your_Bro acts... (Just noticed that AYT's alleged brother has signed up.)

7 years ago

Had to kick him off the computer just now.

7 years ago

"Hey, can you hold something for me?" AYT asks.

"Sure!" I say, as she thrusts a knife into my trachea.

"Thanks! I'll be right back! Don't lose it!" She says walking away from my kneeling body as I cling to my shanked throat, drowning in my own blood.

That should be in my story as a death path.

7 years ago

Add that! I'd really like that xD

7 years ago

As would I.

7 years ago

A few questions :)

1. Can you add this? 

The Kiel Alt-Mason War!

*cues epic music*

Hello. My name is Mason. I have gone through many hardships....but none as terrible as the Kiel Alt-Mason War. You won't believe the things I saw....blood, death, everything you can think of. It all started with derailing, but it grew into something more. One of my men finally convinced me to wage war. And it started. Thousands of Kiel worshippers, including Ford, ZagHero, and Derp, swarmed against my fortresses. There was no turning back. 

One of their men, Kneel_Farren, prophesied a great battle. His modly power radiated through the battle....and I myself was there. Riding the Jar Horse, I clashed through the swarms with my brethren. A wiry and weak soldier called AnimeGuy1 called upon the spirit of freeform, and he destroyed many soldiers. But then General Derpino provoked him and an epic battle followed....with Anime's bloodshed. The battle was done. A peace treaty was made......but the war had its mark.

2. Will the story be explained to the reader through people in the hotel? If so, can I say the one above?

7 years ago

JESUS CHRIST I FOUND THIS OUT! ADD THIS TO THE END OF THE STORY (right after death of Anime)---> 

As the clouds cleared, everyone realized who he was. It was Brennon, the ultra monster. He had come to tear them apart....but they held strong and made a peace treaty. Etc.

7 years ago

You forgot about my part! I had my army allied with Kiel! 

Dangit! I archived it too late!

7 years ago

Was it true that Animeguy was really Brennon in disguise, or Mason just adding it for effect?

7 years ago

*sigh* He's telling the truth. Anime was less annoying than Brennon's past alts and he pleaded with me to give him a second chance, promising me that he was trying to change and be a good site member. I was feeling merciful and he wasn't causing trouble at the time, so I said I'd give him one more shot and I warned him not to make me regret it. Long story short: I ended up regretting it.

7 years ago

Yeah, I sort of realized that since the whole thread was deleted and Animeguy didn't bombard me with PM's when I came back.

Also, since it's on this thread, how'd you like to be portrayed in this story?

7 years ago

Hm. There is some rather severe dissonance between my story character and me, soo...

I guess the version of me I'm building up for Will's and my co-lab would be cool to see elsewhere. A cloaked, wandering mage (yes, like my avatar) intent on testing the mettle of mens' souls with the ability to summon other warriors (perhaps dead / past / fictional?) to do his bidding and pass judgment if needed? Granted, if you have my character in there for any real length of time, he's probably a big softie underneath that hood, and only doing all this because he cares about the fate of the world, yatta yatta. 

7 years ago

That sounds cool.

7 years ago

Thanks.

7 years ago

You're welcome.

7 years ago

...and now General Derpino works as a room service waiter in Hotel CYStia. It's one helluva step down, but at least it's calmer than pointlessly battling.

7 years ago

The war had its tolls.

7 years ago

1. I'll try, but it won't be guaranteed. There's so many people to put in and thinking about the hotel interior and exterior. It's a whole lot of work, especially that we have to design the surrounding areas, too. 

2. Yes, most of the stories and examples that have been accepted will be spoken by those people. Yes, Mason, you can. '^_^

7 years ago

YES!

7 years ago

A lot of site history is a lot to cover. I'll need some help with fetching valuable data and history and with kicking the story around and experimenting. I'm hoping you'd come and help since we're a little on the exhausted side...

7 years ago

I'd LOVE to help. For once I'm even fine with co-authoring.

7 years ago

Fantastic! You can run through the game a bit, although it is very short, and start working. I've got a list of wanted cameos which is still in the progress that you can work off of.

7 years ago

Cool.

7 years ago

You can always ask around for opinions on the hotel's appearance.

7 years ago

Well, I do have a little floor plan, and maybe I'll post it on imgur and send y'all a link. Sound good?

7 years ago

Sure.

7 years ago

Yes please.

7 years ago

There are cameos, but what about storygames references?

7 years ago

Hmm, actually hadn't thought of that. Sure, I can, but it won't be guaranteed. 

7 years ago

This site is mainly for CYOAs, so maybe you can incorporate some of the top rated stories somehow.

7 years ago

Nah.