Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Price of Freedom is Back on CYS!!! ^_^

5 years ago

Okay, click-bait, I’m not sure yet. For anyone who doesn’t know, I have written an updated version of my game The Price of Freedom: Innocence lost, which is over twice as long as the original, and I was originally planning on publishing it under the Hosted Gams label at choiceofgames.com.

I’m talking it over with the staff at the minute, and I think we’re both leaning towards the idea that Hosted Games isn’t the best platform for The Price of Freedom (at least not the sequels) and so I’m looking into other ways to get the game published while still earning some shiny pennies. Right now, I’m thinking of opening a patreon page and publishing the games for free over here. (This hopefully wouldn’t take long because the only thing I really need to change is the coding.)

Anyways, to anyone who is interested in this series, I’ve got to say that I’m actually really excited about this! (Only took me 5 years, but I finally made some progress!) cheeky

Also, to anyone who has already played the game, I’d like to share with you guys the ABSOLUTELY Unofficial playlist. (I own the rights to nothing. These are just songs that I like to listen to when I think of certain scenes in the game.)

Here are the list of scenes and the songs that go with them:

Goodbye to Mother: Anna’s Theme, The Red Violin

Father’s Betrayal: Deceit and Betrayal, Audiomachine

Hell on Earth (The Hull): Protectors of the Earth, Two Steps From Hell

A Ray of Hope (Meeting Lula): Convergence, Audiomachine

The Market: El Dorado, Two Steps From Hell

Your New Life (Entering the Arena): Can’t Go Back, Audiomachine

All Hope is Lost (First Night at the Academy): Prevail, Auidomachine

Caecilia’s Theme: The Hospital Room, Dreamfall

One Good Day (Feriae Latinae): Flight of the Silverbird, Two Steps From Hell

The Whip: They Will Break You, Really Slow Motion

Preparing to Die (Before the Battle): Diem ex Dei, Globus

The Battle: Sons of War, Two Steps From Hell

Aftermath (Epilogue): Manifest, Audiomachine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvQ-xWFAXXU&list=PLw2u3aOLvCm_l_tVb8rqlFv-FjRTa96Z9

A lot of the music is very similar, and it gets WAY too dramatic in places, but I’m very happy with it. I particularly like Diem ex Dei (aka Preparing to Die). To this music, I picture Alexius and the protagonist holding hands as they wait for the arena gates to open.

I also love the contrast with some of the songs, especially Flight of the Silverbird (One Good Day) followed immediately by They Will Break You (The Whip) because personally, it gives me all those tingly feelings of hope and fun and genuine happiness, an then… You know… The Whip. cheeky

Let me know what you guys think! ^_^

5 years ago

Welcome back Briar

5 years ago
Sorry to hear this didn't work out after you put so much time and patience into it. Although I suspect there was more to this and you're just being super classy and polite and not getting into the details.

In the end I can't really see a downside to you being clear of COG though, especially in light of the fresh round of cuntery I saw from the mods over there. (minus Gower who has been adopted as an honorary CYStian, he is a cool guy)

It'll mean a little more work on your end but an end to all the stress and drama too. It just might be you can't put a price on freedom after all!

I think your Patreon will be successful, you've got fans and an enormous amount of support from people in both communities.

5 years ago
If that @Delight_Games guy is ever looking to branch out into gladiators he ought to look you up imho. Even if Patreon didn't exist, COG is far from the only game in town.

5 years ago

Well, I haven't decided 100% on anything yet, but we'll wait and see. ^_^

5 years ago

Yaaaay!

Sorry about your COG career, I'm sure fans will follow over to your patreon. Price of Freedom was one of the first storygames I read on here and I've always wanted an extended version, because there aren't many good stories with that setting around and I really liked the characters.

I'm also twice as happy for this post because the only thread I've ever created here was about story soundtracks/playlists, and it's something that can help one understand the game's atmosphere.

5 years ago

Awh! I never saw that thread. Show me ^_^

5 years ago

Well, that was a lot easier than I expected. Would've thought it would've taken ages. (Well it probably would have if I'd actually done it properly.) Is the link actually working for you guys?

https://www.patreon.com/posts/awh-what-does-do-23841073?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=postshare&fbclid=IwAR02wAlopsQPeyldDMC8mwxmkWQ6iDih-BhaXP-NiYtvyfLAIjX4_UQ7d6w

5 years ago

Signed up for the 1 dollar option. Sorry it's not much, but I'll keep giving until my cash card runs out of money. 

5 years ago

Yey! My very first patreon! Thank you!!! heart

5 years ago
I'll give you the equivalent of my energy drink addiction. I need to quit but I've already factored it into my budget so this way you win money and I win health; win-win all around. technically I gave you less than my addiction as I'm actually spending $16/wk which is $30/mo but I'm just easing myself off them for now...

5 years ago

Wait... Are you the one who signed up for $20 a month? surprise

5 years ago
Wow, that almost would be impressive enough to make me let him into the Discord. Almost.

5 years ago

5 years ago
@everyone is basically just you and Brad and the doormat though

5 years ago
there's a catgirl and some roaches around too

5 years ago

Oh, wow! That's amazing! I was actually kind of in shock when I saw it. Thank you so much! heart

But... Dude, are you sure? $20 a month is a LOT of money.

5 years ago
I don't pay rent or tuition.

Edit:: Here's a quick and dirty budget I have on my phone from a couple months ago. Edited my energy drink budget from $16/wk = $400/year (2x 16 week semesters) to "Briar subscription" which will be $20/mo = $240/year, significantly saving money and making a more managable budget by moving my attention elsewhere.

5 years ago

OMG, that's so unbelievably generous! Thank you! As soon as I've gotten POF transferred onto CYS, I'm going to start putting together a proper patreon, which actual decent rewards for everybody, and I have a really good idea for th $20 tier, that I'm pretty sure you're going to love. ^_^

5 years ago
Sorry, he's already got a girlfriend. Somehow.

5 years ago

Awh, nobody wants my nudes. crying

5 years ago

Not sure you have this whole crowdfunding thing figured out just yet if you're borderline trying to talk people out of subscribing, haha. You probably could have put up the beta version of The Lawless Ones as a backer reward too. 'Backers get the exclusive opportunity to be the first to read new content before it's published!' I'm definitely not trying to be critical of you for being generous, but it might be something to consider going forward.

5 years ago
She said she's going to be reworking the page when she's less sleep deprived, but that's not a bad idea.

5 years ago

Non-gamified short stories, worldbuilding material, or sketches might be good incentives too, if they're things that wouldn't take too much time away from what you actually want to be writing. Just an idea.

5 years ago

Yes! Sketches, definitely (since I do all my own artwork anyway.) I'm coming up with other ideas too... But I think I'm going to concentrate on getting Innocence Lost ready to publish... Then fix patreon. Then put a link to the patreon in the blurb of the game. Then publish it. ^_^

5 years ago

Nah, I've already put the original Lawless Ones up for everyone to see. I'm going to offer the whole "exclusive access to new content" thingy, but that would only apply to new content, and the original TLO is old content, so... Yeah, freebie.

The whole thing's here if anyone wants to read it. ^_^

https://dashingdon.com/play/averymoore/villains/mygame/index.php?cb=48182

5 years ago

Well, all I can say is that I really should've gotten some sleep before I put this thing up, because my brain is literally comprehending nothing right now. Important thing is that it exists, and I can always edit it later.

Will get started on the update of Innocence Lost as soon as I get the okay from CoG I mean, I did sign the contract with HG, but since they're unable to publish it anyway, I assume I can get the game back. cheeky

5 years ago
I mean I've been figuring it goes without saying but I'm also just really excited to read the new POF and see all the new content, however you wind up publishing it. The sequels sound like they're going to be pretty intense too and hopefully we'll see them a lot sooner now that you'll be streamlining this whole process with the Patreon.

5 years ago

Oh, you are going to LOVE the sequels. Just for you, I'm adding a scene where the main character and Lula are having a conversation about the colosseum, and it goes more or less like this:

MC: Well, it can't be any worse than it is here.

Lula: Of course it can! Haven't you heard the rumours? I hear they have these giant see-saws, and they sit the prisoners on them, tied up... Then they let a bunch of lions and tigers out and the prisoners have to jump as high as they can on the see-saws to get away from them. Oh, and they tied up another bunch of prisoners and lay them all on the ground... Then they brought in this elephant, and the elephant stomped on their heads and crushed them one by one! You know, I even heard that one time, they threw this naked woman into the arena, and then she got raped by a giraffe!"

MC: Are you serious? Lula, that's crazy! There's no way that can be true.

Lula: *Shrugs* It's what I heard...

5 years ago
That was a fun article and the Romans were sociopathic, awful inventive people.

5 years ago
Great! Now they won't drive you insane. :D

5 years ago
Hey Briar, have you made any progress on updating your Patreon? I forgot to ask the other day while you were in my thread getting weird lesbian boners.

5 years ago
No.

5 years ago

Hi, sorry, missed your message before. Still working on it. Going to be putting up all the new pressies and stuff right before I publish the game. Got a pretty new banner ^_^