Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

What's the point of points?

4 years ago

Are points for showing off and nothing else, or can you use them? Are they for unlockables? Ingame currency?

Second question, what's an "order?" I'm order warden or something, what's that mean?

4 years ago
Points are just an indicator of your activity on the site, aka your value as a human being. They're used for entering contests or making wagers with other members, but the only concrete thing they do is increase the "weight" of how the ratings you give are calculated.

Warden is just a polite way to say you probably won't ever amount to anything, I'm sorry.

4 years ago

Well, then it's a damn good thing I'm only here for storygames and chatting. Otherwise that last part would have made me upset.

Assuming you mean that I won't get any special privlages on this website, you don't know how my personal life will go.

4 years ago

It so happens that historically, those of the Warden order have rarely managed to achieve significance. 

It's probably coincidence, though.  Don't it stop you.  You may want to start with a profile picture.

4 years ago
The site divines their personality and motivational drive, and calculates future value based on that when they make the account. I'm not seeing any signs yet that it was too far off. In fact it's got an eerily high level of success, except in the case of young children or people who sign up while in an altered state of mind. JJJ should market this technology out to companies to use for prospective employees.

4 years ago

So you're assuming that people almost always put as much effort in games as they do in business and social life. If that's not what you're assuming, correct me.

4 years ago
Are you autistic? Genuine question.

4 years ago

Depends, how do you define autism? From what I've heard, a lot of people seem to have their own meaning for it.

4 years ago
I'm going by the "difficulty understanding sarcasm or joking" and "difficulty reading a social situation" indicators. And the fact that that seems to be the default state of most people who join writing sites anyhow.

4 years ago

Well my first account was a sage. Then Ace and Serpent were marauders. Now I'm a Warrden. I've regressed

4 years ago
>Warrden

I think you might be right.

Sages are still the best. It's just that Mauraders have Endmaster, and Gower there in a (very, very distant) second place so that they can otherwise get away with being as lazy as Wardens.

4 years ago

I had to go check my order after reading this. Turns out that I have potential, so that's nice. I am adding that to my resume now.

4 years ago

Yeah, your order has EndMaster and Gower. Unfortunately, I'm a Warden, which means I'm doomed to a life of failure. 

4 years ago

I didn't know they influenced the weight of your ratings; that's interesting. 

4 years ago

Points are very important, because whoever has more points wins ties for the daily competition for who gets the most commendations.

The reward for that competition is points.

4 years ago

I wondered how ties were dealt with. This thread is so informative.

4 years ago

This thread should be mandatory reading for noobs. 

4 years ago

And whoever has the most points gets the points when no one gets coms. 

4 years ago

The more points you have, the bigger your penis is.

4 years ago
The new guy is going to take this 100% literally and argue with you about it while sounding offended.

4 years ago

Can Berka Zerka even walk, then?

4 years ago
Some penguins slide on their bellies. Others ride toboggans.

4 years ago
^

4 years ago

Well since mizal has infinite points, it is confirmed! MIZAL HAS BIGGEST PP!

4 years ago
Mizal doesn't actually have infinite points. She does have a really big dick though, yes

4 years ago

Ah, that's a shame. Well she does have a bigger pp then my Micro Pen

4 years ago
You have the bigger “M” - and that’s what drives her mad.

4 years ago

Oh, so you were joking. You know, it's a lot harder to tell sarcasm when a) you're talking to a stranger, and b) the sarcasm is a perfect match of what other people say and mean. That being said, yes I do have trouble reading people and understanding social situations.

4 years ago

Mizal never jokes about such things aspie boy.

4 years ago
You frequently run into people that say a website registration process automatically divines your personality and worth as a human being and places you in a category like a magical sorting hat? That's so cool, you must visit *way* more interesting sites than I do.

4 years ago

Not that specific and common, just sometimes I find or hear of, say, a football player for example, saying that being good or bad at football is equivalent to being good or bad at life. It's not common from what I see, just a few people that over value a certain game or sport.

Fun fact: the sport Lacrose was used in some Native Canadian cultures to help determine who's best for what job in the clan. At least, that's what I heard.

4 years ago

The saying you are referencing above is not as literal as you are implying.

Not that specific and common, just sometimes I find or hear of, say, a football player for example, saying that being good or bad at football is equivalent to being good or bad at life.

This football player, following your example, is saying that the same basic elements of success are universal; therefore, similar drive, work ethic, dedication, study habits, etc that go into being good at football will work for anything else. If you worked as hard at writing as he did at being a quarterback (or whatever), then you would be able to write at the same level he plays football at. Keep in mind that this would mean writing, or doing something like studying grammar, for 4-8 hours a day for (probably) over 10 years.

I believe what Mizal is saying is just humor. That your writing potential is based on your "order," when in reality order is determined by something like the date you signed up...

Not sure why I am clarifying this, you probably already know this. I am easy to troll I guess.

4 years ago

Well I can certainly tell by the posting style if someone's going to get banned soon at any rate.

4 years ago

Is that what you're reffering to, the 10 000 hours theory?

The "10 000 hours theory" is the theory that if you try hard at something for long enough, you'll probably get good at it; and if you don't put enough time and/or effort into something, you'll still suck at it. That is a theory I agree with.

4 years ago

I think Shadowdrake is referring to something similar to the 10,000 hours theory, though I don't want to speak for them. Most people on this site would agree that spending a lot of time on your own reading and writing will add more to the community. 

People on this site like to joke around sometimes. I think you'll be able to get more of a sense for the style of humour if you read through some of the previous forum posts in other threads – so don't take it to heart. The best way to make a name for yourself on this site is probably to read lots of stories, leave lots of thoughtful reviews, and spend a lot of time on your own writing. Receiving feedback from other authors is one of the best ways to grow as an author, and many of the members of this community are more than happy to provide it. Leaving a constructive comment on another person's work can similarly help make their day, especially if it's a longer comment that provides detail about what you liked and what you thought could be improved. 

4 years ago

Great advice, though I fear it is falling upon deaf ears.

4 years ago

Deaf ears is close but not quite right. It's more like talking to someone with a strong accent; can hear and listens well, but doesn't quite understand. As is normal when you're new to a forum, a lot of misunderstanding.

4 years ago

I understand the concepts of self improvement and constructive feedback, but thanks for saying that anyway.

4 years ago
I'm not joking when I say he really needs to stop posting and lurk for a bit, like immediately. Notice has been given.

4 years ago

I was done anyway now that I get the points.

4 years ago

I was speaking more generally, but the 10,000 hour rule is a great example.

Great advise, Reader.