Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

I guess I'm here now.

2 years ago
Call me El.

Some people may be familiar with the name. Others, probably not. Me? Just got it from a game. Thought it sounded cool.

So... hi. I'll be working on a project. Feel free to come by. Say hello. Give pointers and stuff. That's about it.

I guess I'm here now.

2 years ago
Hello there. Welcome to the site. I do hope you enjoy your time here!

I guess I'm here now.

2 years ago
Hello.

If you're ever in need of a new profile picture, here's an alternative.

That's about it.

I guess I'm here now.

2 years ago
I don't see a single goose in that grass.

I guess I'm here now.

2 years ago
Welcome!

Best advice I can give to new people is to read. Read some good games, read some bad games, read the reviews of both, read some articles. You want to be kind of familiar with reader expectations and what's possible with the editor before going diving too far into your own project.

(Don't read the forum though, that's retarded.)

Second bit of advice is to start small. Until you're familiar with writing these kinds of games and with the way they can branch out exponentially and get away from you, it's really easy to bite off more than you can chew. Your current game might be even more on the ambitious size than you realize...but if it's what you really really want to do and you don't see yourself burning out on it, then I won't try to discourage you. Just make sure that anything you do end up publishing is proofread, polished and complete. (The window for recieving the most feedback for most games is in the two weeks or so after the first time it's published. You don't want to squander that time taking it down to edit and putting it up again, or give people who might only check it out once a bad first impression. There really is no rush on these unless you're in a contest.)

Finally, besides just browsing around and reading other people's games, take a moment to leave a little feedback. We encourage honest and detailed criticism here, but even just a simple line or two about how your felt about it is appreciated as well. Authors put a lot of work and time into these games and that's the only way for them to know someone out there is reading it.