Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Duals

one year ago
So I had a ton of duals with perforated penguin (and won more than half) and I was wondering what all the different items were. Like I only have rock, paper, scissors; and I know that he played bowl, water, fire; but what else is available and how do they interact with the 3 I have access to?

(P.S. I know that the formatting/punctuation is crap but I'm still curious)

Duals

one year ago

Wow, Penguin's been losing duels to a person who doesn’t know the difference between dual and duel. 

Duals

one year ago
Yeah, so my grammar sucks but that's why I have someone else read my stories before I post them.

Duals

one year ago

You've posted stories? 

Duals

one year ago
I did some on another site and short stories in a school mag. Nothing on CYS yet but I made Penguin my co-author for this one I'm writing right now.

Duals

one year ago

Did you ask Penguin before you did that? Making them a co-author, that is.

Duals

one year ago
He left before I could so not yet. If he doesn't want to I'll pull him off.

Duals

one year ago

Right.

Well, the dueling expert is online.

@Avery_Moore

Do you want to reveal the tricks of the trade, or no?

Duals

one year ago
Yep. I'll see what they have to say.

Duals

one year ago

Already did. ^_^

Duals

one year ago

Well, there we have it.

The only way anyone gets it is if you die of old age.

Or if you have a kid, you can have them carry on your will. And then, they can do the same.

And then trophy stays in the family forever, and nobody ever gets it.

Duals

one year ago

Yey! ^_^

Duals

one year ago
You gain more options as you gain more points. (The best way to gain more points is NOT by dueling btw...)

As to what they all do and what beats what, well I'm sure someone has figured it out, but they may prefer to keep their secrets.

Duals

one year ago
Oh well I guess I was lucky this time. Thanks for the (only somewhat late) advice.

Duals

one year ago

She got here as quick as she could.

Duals

one year ago
Look up rps 25 chart, and all the relationships should be right there.

Also, I have no idea how you’ve been winning with a 2/3 losing chance. Very distressing.

Duals

one year ago

Shameful display.

Duals

one year ago
Nothing beats beginner’s luck, unfortunately.

Duals

one year ago
Thank you!

Also I won more because you used Fire, Water, and Bowl but Paper beats 2 of those and Rock beats 2 of those so as long as I kept playing those I had a 2/3rds chance of winning.

Duals

one year ago
Perhaps I’ll change up my repertoire, then.

As for the co-author thing, I don’t intend on writing anything so… wouldn’t do anything to keep me on.

Duals

one year ago
Thats cool. I just was thinking I should let someone else read it before publishing and you happened to put yourself in harms way so to speak.

Duals

one year ago
https://www.umop.com/rps25.htm I wonder if this David Lovelace guy realizes a community is still using his game almost 20 years later.

Duals

one year ago
So Avery_Moore said

Step 1: Exploit the noobs!!!

Here’s the most important part. You know how those poor, pathetic noobs only start out with a measly 15 points?… Take them all! [...] So, all you have to do is challenge members with less than 50 points to a duel of RPS, and use a hand that beats two of the original three. These are:

Alien: Beats Rock and Scissors
Bowl: Beats Rock and Scissors
Devil: Beats Rock and Scissors
Dragon: Beats Rock and Scissors
Dynamite: Beats Rock and Scissors
Gun: Beats Rock and Scissors
Lightning: Beats Rock and Scissors
Nuke: Beats Rock and Scissors
Water: Beats Rock and Scissors

Fire: Beats Paper and Scissors
Sun: Beats Paper and Scissors

(Unfortunately, there are no hands that beat both Rock and Paper)

So for a Noob Paper is god. And while you start with 15 points creating a story game boosts you by 3 which allows you to see the entire arsenal of the opponent even if you lose all 3 of your first matches. Just don't pick Scissors.

Duals

one year ago

Well, for a noob, paper is only God when duelling me. Not everyone follows my ingenious example.

And I'm... Confused... Having 18 points allows you to see your opponent's arsenal? How does that work?

Duals

one year ago
After playing Penguin a little I began to see that he played Fire, Water, Bowl over and over. Now if I had 15 points and messed up against Penguin in the opening those 3 would have killed me. However with 18 points I would have survived long enough to see all 3 and learn what not to do. It doesn't guarantee anything but the more you play the same person (all at once) the better your choices are gonna be.

Duals

one year ago

You know, you can actually choose how many points you want to bet in a dual. You don't need to bet 5 points every time. If you only bet 1 point in each dual then 15 points can see you through at least 15 duals... Also, there are 25 different hands you can play in RPS. The more points you have, the more hands you can play. Penguin might have only played those 3 hands, but he has access to more.

Duals

one year ago
I certainly do, and our friend here took full advantage of his knowledge.

Anyhow, I really shouldn't duel someone more than twice so they don't catch on.