Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
This one's for those who are still wholesome inside and appreciate TRUE RED BLOODED AMERICAN animation and were never tempted by the Satanic "this 8 year old is actually 800, uguu~" magicks of the isle of Nippon.

Malk and I were talking in the Discord about how smooth and cool Dr. Facilier was, and in the Interactive Friction thread I accidentally got the Mob Song from Beauty and the Beast stuck in my head going on two days now while inflicting it on others, so there's no denying what an impact Disney made back before they were primarily occupied with ruining Star Wars.

Beauty and the Beast and the Lion King were extremely significant parts of my childhood, almost cringily so. I joined my very first forum community thanks to the latter, putting myself at risk of becoming a furry.

It's the villains that make half of these movies as memorable as they are though.

Who's the best, who's the worst, and how would you rate them by their:

1) Evilness
2) Coolness
3) Complexity
4) Defeat

And of course
5) Epic Musical Number

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Oh, I love animation (and Disney) so much I go to school for it! And I can and will talk anyone's ear off about it so buckle in! :~)

I created and completed my own tournament bracket of the most well known Disney villains (that are considered Official) to help me narrow down at least top ten of the best ones. (Or even lesser, just my favorites. . .)

(And you can play along and complete the one I did or randomize the characters yourself!)

Maleficent ultimately won just because she is just so iconic, powerful, aesthetical, and petty. (Maleficent cursed Aurora just because she was not invited to the baby shower, and that is the major-est of bitch moves!) She doesn't have a song but she makes up for any epic musical number with her whole turning-into-a-whole-ass-dragon and then dramatically-dying scene. She is one of the most powerful Disney villains by far. . .if you gloss over the fact she was killed by one measely sword, but she's still alive in our hearts. So alive she even got two live action movies. (Although I did include Chernabog from Fantasia (literally the Devil) but even he doesn't strike fear (and love) into our hearts quite like Maleficent does.)

From there I chose

2) Frollo, mostly for his song Hellfire which is my personal favorite Disney song. Not to mention he is such an insufferable incel, and I hate those a lot.

3) Ratigan, merely because he's voiced by Vincent Price. He is definitely on the classic, mustache-twirling side of evil villains, but he does it so well.

4) Hades. He is the best part of Hercules (although it's not too difficult to be the best part of a movie like Hercules.)

5) Queen of Hearts. She's certainly a favorite of mine for obvious reasons and it will always be a shame we Disney's Alice in Wonderland fans don't get a whole lot of merchandise of any of the characters, but when we do, it's usually of the Queen of Hearts, for good reason. She's aesthetical and postively bonkers!

6) Shan Yu. He's genuinely scary.

7) Ursula. Another very, very powerful villain in a stunning movie. Her villain song is second to Hellfire.

8) Captain Hook. Peter Pan is my second favorite classic Disney movie and Captain Hook is timeless. And for how dorky and clumsy he is, he still managed to scare me as a child.

9) Gaston. Sort of this inverted incel. His song is catchy and memorable and his death will always be satisfying to watch.

10) Lady Tremaine (and the Evil Stepsisters) and Queen Grimhilde (The Evil Queen.) I grouped these four together because it's just more petty women drama. Lady Tremaine also scared me as a child.

I have no doubts that no one will agree with me especially when Scar didn't make the top ten (I just don't like animal movies that much, and especially not The Lion King!) but these ten are definitely some the quintessential Disney Villains.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
I'm so glad somebody posted in my wholesome thread, even Briar and AL left me hanging and I was about to post that Mulan song out of spite.

Lion King was a huge part of my childhood, and Scar still has one of my favorite songs and voice actors. I've watched it many times, but the seams in the plot itself were a lot more apparent to me the last time. The curse of growing old. I might post some more thoughts on this one later.

Gaston has not one but TWO songs and that ultra manly baritone even if he is a weasely nice guy incel. It's hard not to place him somewhere as a favorite, and it of course helps that Beauty & the Beast holds up so well as a movie even after infinite rewatches. (The only thing I never liked was what a lame pretty boy the Beast was in human form, and well there's that infamous timeline plothole, where the witch apparently cursed him as like, a ten year old boy...)

Ursula's song is another that's up there for me, and she's just such a unique character she stands out among all the other villains. All of the songs in the Little Mermaid would fall in a favorites list somewhere actually, although the last section of the movie and the dullness of the prince himself were major weak points for me.

(Really it took Disney until Tangled to figure out how to make the princess and the hero properly share the protagonist spotlight, and then those two went and got shone up by a horse...)

The Princess and the Frog is pretty underrated too, Dr. Facilier is so smooth and slimy with such a creepy fun song and probably the grimmest takedown ever. But it was kind of their last gasp as far as traditional animation, and I'm not sure how many people actually saw it.

I'll agree that Maleficent was the most iconic and straight up evil, and I'm really not at all a fan of what they did to her in the live action movies. I kind of hate the revisionist thing where the villain is actually just misunderstood or was the true hero all along, and the movies were just trying too hard with their ham handed themes.

Oh, and I know it's not Disney but I have to give some props to Rameses from Prince of Egypt here. He would win in the 'Complexity' category hands down if he were in the poll for this.

....the cats from Cinderella and Lady and the Tramp also deserve an honorary mention.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
100% agreed on the Maleficent live action films, and I actually LIKE that kind of storyline when it's done well. Unfortunately it's very rarely done well. I think they fell into the "subversion for subversion's sake" trap, but so did a lot of people I guess since the movie is crazy popular.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

I always stop watching Beauty and The Beast during the final minutes due to the sheer disappointment of Beast's transformation! As far as I'm concerned (or even Disney's marketing is concerned) Beast does not transform one bit. (The character design, voice and animation of Beast are all great, oh my goodness!) And even the animators knew the audience was not going to appreciate pretty boy Beast, so I suppose they gave up trying. You can talk about that ending to any group of animators and there is always mass sighs and groans.

(Awh, I really like Prince Eric! I guess I fell into the group of little girls who found him endearing.)

The Princess and the Frog and Tangled are both spectacular and definitely deserve way more spotlight. While I can't express how sad it is for me to see (popular) animation switch primarily to computer generated, Mother Gothel is such a fantastic way to show children what a manipulative, abusive person, and relationship, looks like while still being in a movie that still makes me laugh. And Doctor Facilier definitely deserves his place among the iconic villains.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
People seem to have split opinions on Mother Gothel, and I think a lot of it depends on whether they've had enough of an emotionally manipulative person in their life for her to make them uncomfortable with how spot on her characterization is.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
Oh absolutely! My aunt has a friend who can't even watch the movie because Mother Gothel is so much like their POS manipulative mom that watching it brings up traumatic memories.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
Hades is hands down my favorite Disney villain, and Scar's "Be Prepared" has got to be my favorite villain number. Frolo was awesome, but he was more complex in the musical (which I saw first) so I think that taints my view of him a bit. Hellfire was a huge step for Disney in my opinion, and it really paid off. I'll have to go through and watch the movies again to make a ranking. Any excuse to watch Disney movies!

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Facilier's gotta take it. His music number is great, he's got a voice as smooth as butter, and he's evil because he loves evil which is a huge bonus for a fun villain. I'll admit he's not the most complex, but he more than makes up for it in the fact that he gets dragged to Hell by literal demons on screen. 

Edit: also, my girlfriend's an animation student and he's her favourite. So I'm backed up by expert opinion here. 

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
At the risk of looking like a total a noob, which Disney princess villain is that?

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

That is the Horned King from The Black Cauldron ^_^

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
Scar all the way down the list. Jeremy Irons is a god.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

OMG, how did I not see this thread before! Is there any greater topic for discussion than Disney villains? This I must get in on! Took me some time, but I compiled a list of 100 Disney villains, which I shall now rank in order from worst to best!

(Note: Does not include Pixar or Studio Ghibli films. Some shitty sequel characters may be missing, but who the fuck cares, they're shitty sequels and no one likes them anyway.)

I think I'll have to divide this up into sections since there are so many, but I'll start with the categoty of:

Downright Shitty!

Not many on list list, but these are the only Disney villains that I consider genuinely shitty villains.

100. Home on the Range: Alameda Slim

Home on the Range is probably the only Disney animated original that I didn't like, and as such, the villain for me was both shitty and forgetable. I mean, it's a random fat Texan that wants to steal all the cows. I guess there's only so much you can do with that character.

99. Hunchback of Notre Dame 2: Sarousch

The Hunchback of Notre Dame 2 is probably the most God awful abomination of Disney sequels that I've ever seen (and that's saying something) and while, to be fair, this guy was kind of memorable, it's only because of how shitty he is. Sarousch is some weird, fagulous circus ring-master who... Wants to steal a bell or something? I don't know. If you haven't seen this movie yet, don't. Just don't.

98. The Rescuers: Snoops

As far as Disney villains go, this guy is probably the most lame. Lame, lame, lame, lame, lame. Literally everything about him, the way he looks, his voice, the way he acts, it's all just incredibly lame. To be fair, he is a bumbling sidekick rather than a main villain, but still, Disney has some amazing bumbling sidekick characters, and Snoops just isn't one of them.

97. Moana: Tamatoa

As far as Disney movies go, I thought Moana was okay. Not my favourite, but definitely worth a watch. This weird gold covered crab thing though... Nah, not a fan.

96. The Aristocats: Edgar

And now for the first guy on the list that I consider a significant Disney villain. I loved the Aristocats as a kid, but dear God, did it have the lamest villain! He wasn't scary or cool, he didn't have an awesome song. Honestly, he could have done quite well as a bumbling sidekick, but he wasn't a bumbling sidekick, he was an actual main villain! And as far as main Disney villains go, this guy probably sucks the most. ^_^

And there's your first 5, I shall continue after I eat my lunch. ^_^

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Okay, onto the next category:

Forgettable

I was thinking of having this as the bottom category, because is there any greater crime as a Disney villain than being forgettable? But there were some people on the list that I just didn't think deserved to be lumped in the bottom with the truly shitty characters.

95. Enchanted: Queen Narissa

... Looking back, I do have to say, her outfit is REALLY fucking cool, but considering she's just a soulless rip off of every evil Disney Queen combined, she is pretty forgetable.

94. Pete's Dragon: Dr Terminus and Hoagy

Granted, I haven't watched Pete's Dragon in years and I don't really remember it very well, but these guys did not leave much of an impression. Will have to watch it again sometime to see if they deserve such a low ranking.

93. Tangled: The Stabbington Brothers

Now, I enjoyed Tangled. These guys... I barely remember them. I think they were like pointless sidekicks, but from what I remember, they didn't even have a personality besides kind of stupid. Could've just taken them out of the movie and it wouldn't have made a difference

92. Dumbo: The Ringmaster

Dumbo was adorable! And this guy was... Uhh... In it... I guess... Not sure he even counts as a villain to be honest.

91. Aladdin: Gazeem

Bonus points for saying he had to "Slit a few throats" at the beginning of the film, but considering he dies in the first few minutes, he didn't really leave much of an impression.

90. Pinocchio: Stromboli

I wouldn't say he's a bad villain, but there are a lot of villains in Pinocchio, and I think out of all of them, Stomboli left the least of an impression on me.

89. Lady and the Tramp: Aunt Sarah

What can I say? Not much of a character here. She's just a meddling old biddy. The cats were cool though. ^_^

88. Atlantis The Lost Empire: Rourke and Helga

What can I say? I know that Atlantis has a bit of a following but... Well, I'm not in it. And as far as forgettable villains go, these are two of the most forgettable for me.

87. Frozen: The Duke of Weselton

... Why was he in the movie again? Was there a point to his character? I really don't know what this guy was doing in Frozen, he was just sort of... There.

86. Big Hero Six: Robert Callaghan

Now, I usually love a good twist villain. Frozen, Toy Story 2 and Coco all did this really well. But with Big Hero Six, it was kind of obvious who the "twist" villain was going to be. I don't know, maybe I'm being unfair on the guy because I saw the "twist" coming a mile off. But still, his character in general was pretty boring, so he's earned a place on in the "Forgettable" collection. ^_^

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Was Weselton even a villain? He looks for all the world like just a background character who had one line to round out a musical number, there's no way he had the time to be antagonistic.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

I mean, I think he tried to have Elsa arrested, so I guess he's a villain... Sort of?

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

He wanted to exploit Arendelle's resources (because kids fear the queen might get jipped in a bad trade deal?) and he did order two of his men to kill Elsa if they got the chance. He's annoying and too obvious, but he does get one of the funniest lines in the movie, "Like a chicken with the face of a monkey, I fly!"

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Speaking of Chickens, he also references a show called Arrested Development a few times. In particular, his "chicken dance" is directly from that show. Not sure if that makes him more or less of a villain, but it's my fun fact of the day.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Next catergory is:

Kind of lame

This section id for the villains that aren't quite bad enough to be lumped in with the shitty lot, but are still kind of lame as far as Disney villains go.

85. The Little Mermaid 2: Morgana

So... Ursula had a sister apparently. And yeah, she's about as lame as you'd expect a Disney sequel villain to be.

84. 101 Dalmations: Jasper and Horace

Disney has some really awesome sidekicks! But these two, not so much. I mean they're not God awful, they're just kind of bland. Even their slap stick moments weren't great.

83. Pinocchio: Honest John and Gideon

I'll be hoest, I kind of liked Gideon, but as a duo of villains, these two were pretty lame. Was not impressed with their villain song at all.

82. Wreck it Ralph: Taffyta and the Racers

Yeah, they're about asintimidating as they look. I'll be honest though, my heart did break a little when they destroyed Vanellope's go-kart.

81. Robin Hood: The Sheriff of Nottingham

As far as Disney villains go, this one is... Mildy annoying, I guess. I mean he doesn't even seem that evil to me, he just kind of goes around collecting taxes and that's it.

80. The Jungle Book: Kaa

Is it me or does Kaa seem kind of... Camp? I don't know what it is about him, but I'm just not a big fan of Kaa as a Disney villain. I guess there's only so intimidating a character can be when they have the same voice actor as Winnie the Pooh.

79. The Fox and the Hound: Amos Slade

The guy kind of reminds me of my dad, tbh. Not much of a villain, just a grumpy old man with a gun. ^_^

78. Dumbo: The Circus Elephants

Kind of want to put them higher on the list because their bitchiness is pretty epic. I mean how can you be mean to a fucking baby elephant? That said, besides sit around gossiping, they don't really do much.

77. Tarzan: Clayton

Another "twist" villain that was pretty obvious throughout. I don't know, I just wasn't impressed by Clayton at all. That said, he does get a pretty awesome and brutal death! (When the lightning flashes, you can actually see a shadow of his hanging corpse.) ^_^

76. Pocahontas: Ratcliffe

Now, I'll be the first to say it. The song Savages was fucking epic! That said, I really wasn't impressed with the character. I think the fact that none of his minions have any respect for him is the main issue. They're not afraid or intimidated by him, and they gossip about how useless he is behind his back, so... Yeah, kind of a lame villain.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Not gonna lie, I never really actually sat down and watched The Little Mermaid 2. I had assumed that she came back in the second one, like Jafar did, but she was all green and withered and decrepit on account of dying in the first one. Little did I know as a child that corpses who get gored and then spend months floating around in the water would look more like Ursula than Morgana, I just assumed that all things mummified whether they were wet or not.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Lol. Yeah, she's basically just Ursula on a diet. :p

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

My next category I like to call:

Shut the fuck up!

This is for characters that, while they might make decent villains, they're just unbearably annoying and I really wish they'd just shut the fuck up.

75. Robin Hood: Prince John and Hiss

I think Prince John might just be the Disney version of Joffrey. Seriously, what a whiny little bitch. And every time he talks with Hiss, it's like listening to an old married couple arguing. Just... Shut the fuck up. >.<

74. The Song of the South: Brer Fox and Brer Bear

These two are annoying to say the least. I guess Brer Bear is kind of likeable for his sheer stupidity, but Brer Fox talks at the speed of sound and never fucking shuts up. also his voice is really annoying.

73. The Return of Jafar: Abis Mal

As far as Disney sequels go, The Return of Jafar was definitely one of the most enjoyable. But it came with an extremely annoying new villain to add to the collection. I guess he's okay as a bumbling sidekick, but how the hell he managed to get a bunch of bandits working for him in the first place is beyond me.

72. Wreck it Ralph: King Candy

There were some good qualities to King Candy. He had a pretty unpredicatble twist at the end, and I definitely liked his death... But that voice. Oh dear God, that voice! Kill it! Kil it with fire!

71. The Rescuers: Madame Medusa

Now, I do like her as a villain. There's something about her design that's really fucking scary. Just the in love with herself woman who can't do her own make up for shit makes her super intimidating for some reason. That said, she is annoying. Like, really fucking annoying.

70. Simba's Pride: Nuka

Now, I actually really enjoyed the Lion King 2, but... Not this guy. Another Joffreyish type character. Very obsessed with himself and super whiny.

69. Cinderella: Anastasia and Drizella

Bonus points for the scene where they destroyed Cinderella's dress. Whilst very enjoyable to watch and definitely good Disney villains, you can't deny that these two are as annoying as fuck.

68. Peter Pan: Captain Hook

Now Hook definitely has his moments. He's conniving and can be really intimidating when he tries... But looking back, he spends most of the movie just sulking and bitching to Smee about his grudge against a 12 year old boy. Also running away from the crocodile like a little bitch.

67. Hercules: Pain and Panic

Now we're getting into the territory of characters that I actually like. Whilst annoying, these guys are pretty fucking funny.

66. Banzai Shenzi and Ed

I do not like putting these guys so low on the list, since I do really enjoy them and the chase scene in the elephant graveyard was actually kind of scary, but these guys kind of have to be included in the "Shut the fuck up" category. Sorry guys! >.<

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Now this next one is a big category, and I like to call it:

Silent but Deadly

So, these villains are mostly animals that can't talk, but they go up pretty high on the list because a lot of them were really fucking scary. (I think this section is going to have a few of my favourites) ^_^

65. The Rescuers Down Under: Joanna

Lowest on the list since she didn't really leave much of an impression. Still, kind of creepy looking.

64. The Song of the South: The Bull

Lucky to be on the list at all considering what a minor "villain" it is, but I remember watching Song of the South as a kid and finding this bull really fucking intimidating. Plus the music they play when he chases down the little boy and tramples him was intense. ^_^

63. Basil the Great Mouse Detective: Felicia

For a non speaking role, this cat does pretty well for herself. She eats one of the bad guy's minions and almost eats a bunch of other characters, including the Queen! ^_^

62. The Rescuers: Brutus and Nero

Didn't actually find these two particularly scary as a kid, but I do like that they turned on their master and tried to eat her at the end. ^_^

61. Dinosaur: The Carnotaurus

What can I say? Dinosaurs are scary. >.<

60: Cinderella: Lucifer

How the fuck can a cat be so evil? (I mean he was so evil that they actually killed him off in Cinderella 3. That'll teach you, you little shit!)

59: Sleeping Beauty: Diablo

I'm not sure why since he barely does anything, but this crow really left an impression on me as a kid. I think it might be because I consider him such a vital part of Maleficent's appearance. I mean, would she even be Maleficent without this crow perched on her shoulder? (Crow? Raven? You know, I don't think it's either, considering they both have black beaks, not yellow... Bloody hell, I think it might be a Blackbird! Oh fuck, Sleeping Beauty is ruined!!!) >.<

58. Pinocchio: Monstro the Whale

Now, whale's aren't scary, but the way they built this guy up, with all the other fish just swimming away in terror at the mere sound of his name, and then at the end when he's spitting out smoke after they light a fire in his belly... This guy was fucking scary!

57. The Fox and the Hound: Bear

Now, I wasn't impressed with the villains in The Fox and the Hound, but this fucking great bear that shows up at the end... I mean, just look at it! This fucker is scary! O.O

56. Tarzan: Sabor

Leopards are beautiful and adorable... But not this guy. This guy killed Tarzan's parents and a baby gorilla! And the fight scene with Tarzan and Sabor was awesome! Much better villain than Clayton.

55. Moana: Te Ka

Awesome design, and I suppose this technicall counts as a good "twist" villain too.

54: Peter Pan: Tick-Tock

Not sure if he's actually a villain since he only tries to eat the bad guy, but the music they used to play whenever the crocodile was around used to terrify me!

53: The Sword in the Stone: The Wolf

I really, really don't know why but this mother fucker scared the shit out of me when I was a little kid. (Also honorable mention to the pike. That was pretty scary too.) >.<

52. Bambi: Man

Never before has the mere concept of humans been so scary. You never even see these guys, but the mere thought of them is enough to terrify every creature in the meadow. They kill Bambi's mother, shoot a whole bunch of other animals and somehow manage to set the forest on fire. Not bad for a character that's never even on screen.

51. Fantasia: The T-Rex

Said it before, I'll say it again. Dinosaurs are fucking scary! And I can't remember any Disney scene that would set me diving behind the sofa quicker than the Rite of Spring track where all the lovely little dinosaurs are just chilling, muching on leaves, then you hear the most chilling music ever. All the dinosaurs turn around with a look of horror on the face and then you see... This mother fucking T-Rex! I swear to God, it was fucking terrifying! Just the look on all of the little dinosaurs faces as they ran for their lives... And that poor Stegosaurous! The part where he lifts his tail up for the last time... And then it just falls limp to the ground. *Sob.* Yeah, this mother fucker is easily one of the scariest Disney villains of all time. ^_^

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

My next category is:

Meh.

Pretty self explanitory. These villains were okay, but definitely not amongst the best.

50. The Rescuers Down Under: Percival C. Mcleach

This guy has got to be one of the most okayish villains of all time. I mean, he's not bad, just not very impressive at all.

49. Lady and the Tramp: Si and Am

I like the song and all but... That song is the only reason these cats exist. They randomly appear in the middle of the film, sing a song, and then you never see them again.

48. The Fox and the Hound: Chief

He gets a higher ranking than Amos Slade, because he can be quite scary when he's atually chasing animals, but in general, he's a pretty meh villain.

47. Aladdin: Razoul

Not even sure if he is a villain since he is pretty loyal to the Sultan and Jasmin. That said, he is a pretty massive jerk.

46. Basil the Great Mouse Detective: Fidget

I guess he was kind of a fun sidekick, but not one of the best

45. Zootopia: Bellwether

I guess she's a decent "twist" villain since I definitely didn't see it coming but... She's also kind of lame.

44. The Sword in the Stone: Mad Madam Mim

A really creative villain since she can turn into anything, and I did enjoy the duel wit Merlin, but still, at the end of the day, she's just a crazy old lady.

43. Oliver and Company: Roscoe and Desoto

Whilst definitely not the most memorable sidekicks, these guys were pretty intimidating... You know, for a cartoon about doggies and fluffy kittens.

42. Aladdin and the King of Thieves: Saluk

The design is okay. He's decently intimidating and he did get a catchy villain song, but he just wasn't that memorable.

41. The Jungle Book: Shere Khan

Sorry buddy, I hate to put you so low on the list. I do actually really like him as a villain. He's super suave and sure of himself. Still, he isn't in the film for that much and he doesn't even get his own song. Still, definitely one of the best "okay" villains... If that makes sense.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

My next category is one I'll call:

Eerily Creepy

These guys definitely aren't the best or most memorable, but there's something about them that just used to creep me the fuck out when I was a kid. Definitely not terrifying (those guys have their own category coming up) just... Creepy.

40. Peter Pan: Mermaids

They sure don't look creepy do they... But when Peter breaks up a fight between them and Wendy and they innocently say, "We were only trying to drown her." ... Yeah, kind of creepy.

39. Lady and the Tramp: The Dog Catchers

They're barely in it, but that one scene where they take poor Nutsy through "The One Way Door" ... That used to really scare me as a kid. >.<

38. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: Heffalumps and Woozles

They're black they're brown they're up their down. They're in they're out they're all about. They're far they're near they're gone they're here They're quick and slick and insincere... Yeah, I definitely remember being creeped out by that song when I was little... Damn, I was a pussy. :p

37. The Black Cauldron: Creeper

... Well of course he had to be in this section, his name is literally "Creeper."

36. The Little Mermaid: Flotsam and Jetsam

They don't talk much, but when they do... Their voices are super creepy! (Plus their eyes give me the creeps too.)

35. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad: Mr Winkie and The Weasels

I actually remember the weasels more from The Prince and the Pauper, Mickey's Christmas Carol and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. But I guess there was a reason that Disney kept using them as villains. These guys are fucking creepy.

34. Mulan: The Huns

How many men does it take to deliver a message?

33. Treasure Planet: Scroop

Ew! Just look at the design of this character! Of course he's creepy... Especially the eerily satisfied look on his face when he kills Mr Arrow.

32. The Nightmare Before Christmas: Lock, Shock and Barrel

Oogie Boogie gets all the credit, but the thought of three little kids who just delight in finding victims for their evil master to torture is somehow even more creepy. (Plus, Kidnap the Sandy Claws is one of the best Disney Villain songs EVER!)

31. Beauty and the Beast: Monsieur D'arque

Actually had no idea that was his name before I made this list, and now that I know, it makes him even more creepy. Funny how Gaston isn't scary at all, but this guy! Just look at him! You tell me this guy isn't scary! His design, his voice, the fact that he owns a mental asylum... Just everything about him is creepy.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

My next category will be:

Loveable Buffoons!

They're mostly pointless sidekicks, and they're kind of too stupid to be decent villains, but we love them anyway. ^_^

30. Alice in Wonderland: The Queen of Heats

Yes, I know, boo me for putting her so low on the list. But really, I do see her as more of a loveable idiot. (Though she can be pretty intimidating when she screams "Off with her head!")

29. Beauty and the Beast: Lefou

You just can't help but like this idiot. Why does he worship Gaston when the guy treats him like crap? No clue (though the remake might have some ideas) still, got to admire his loyalty. And the fact that he sings an awesome song just to cheer his buddy up... Ain't he the sweetest?

28. Aladdin: Iago

Actually kind of a smart and useful bumbling sidekick when I look back. Like he said in the Return of Jafar, "Who comes up with all the good ideas? Me! Who does all the work? Me!" ^_^

27. Peter Pan: Smee

I really do have a soft spot for Mr Smee. I know he works for the most evil pirate to sail the seven seas, but... He's loyal. He's thoughtful. He's polite. He has a tattoo that says "Mother". He's just so damn likeable! ^_^

26. Yzma and Kronk

God I hate putting these guys so low down on the list. They are fucking hilarious! Easily, easily the best part of the movie. Love them, love them, love them! ^_^

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

My next category will be:

Fucking Terrifying!

And now we come to my favourite category! These guys aren't particularly famous Disney Villains. They don't sing, the don't dance, they don't have epic songs... But fucking hell were they scary! Like, nightmare inducing scary!

25. Pinocchio: The Coachman

I mean, the premise is pretty lame. A guy who turns children into donkeys because... I don't really know. But I just remember that as a kid, I was actually terrified of this guy! To be fair, looking back at this picture, I can remember why.

24. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad: The Headless Horseman

Okay, who's idea was it to make Sleepy Hollow into a Disney cartoon? Seriously, what the fuck?

23. Who Framed Roger Rabbit: Judge Doom

Am I the only one who finds his human form scarier than his toon form? Seriously scary villain... That poor little shoe. :'(

22. The Black Cauldron: The Horned King

Now if we judges Disney Villains on their ability to scare the shit out of little kids... This guy would be number 1! Pretty rubbish for a Disney cartoon, but one of the most underrated villains ever! ^_^

21. Fantasia: Chernabog

Sorry Horned King, I hate to put you as second best on the list of scariest villains, but to be fair... This guy is literally the devil. ^_^

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Next up will be:

Didn't Quite Make the Cut

Don't get me wrong, these guys were all awesome, but not quite awesome enough to reach the top of the list.

20. Basil the Great Mouse Detective: Professor Ratigan

Now there's plenty of awesome Disney Villain songs... But this guy actually stops half way through his villain song so that he can feed one of his minions to his pet cat. That's pretty fucking badass. ^_^

19. Frozen: Hans

Now THIS was a good twist villain. I mean Disney was so dedicated to portraying him as a good guy that they even had him as one of the main characters on the poster with a big old smile on his face, Well played Disney. Well played.

18. One Hundred and One Dalmations: Cruella De Vil

I wouldn't say she's one of the best, but definitely one of the most iconic. I mean, she wants to kill a bunch of adorable puppies so she can make a fur coat. Can you get much more evil than that?

17. The Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie Boogie

What can I say? Great villain. Great song. Great death. Shame I can't put him higher on the list.

16. Snow White: The Evil Queen

Now THIS was an awsome villain. The original evil queen in all her glory. Can you get more iconic than that?

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

My next category is:

Underrated Gems

This guys are truly epic villains and definitely don't get the appreciation that they deserve.

15. Dinosaur: Kron and Bruton

These guys are pretty unique villains in that they're not technically bad guys, just really brutal. They're actually doing their best to save the dinosaur herd. Unfortunately, that means sacrificing all of the old and weak ones to save the strong and healthy. I think Bruton might actually win mizal's most complex award since he gets a pretty good redemption ending. ^_^

14. Simba's Pride: Zira

Kind of hard to believe that Scar had a mate, since I always thought he was super gay. Still, while I generally consider Disney sequels the brutal rapist of my childhood, Zira is actually a pretty awesome villian. Not to mention My Lullabye was an awesome Disney Villain song! ^_^

13. Treasure Planet: John Silver

Another contender for most complex villain. I think I only saw Treasure Planet once, but the adorable relationship between John Silver and Jim Hawkins still left an impression on me. Got to love a good antihero.

12. Oliver and Company: Sykes

Now this guy is seriously underrated. Definitely one of the most intimidating Disney villains. I mean the guy just has to click his fingers and his dogs will rip anyone who crosses him to shreds.

11. Mulan: Shan Yu

Now this guy blows Sykes out of the water when it comes to intimidating villains. No songs. No laughs. Just pure, evil, badassery. Sends a chill down my spine when he says "The little girl will be missing her doll. We should return it to her." ... Yeah, that little girl is dead. :'(

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Every creature in the movie Dinosaurs was a villain by virtue of existing. Just look at them!

My retarded 4-5 year old self assumed that Shan Yu actually unironically just returned the doll to the little girl.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

I liked Dinosaur! >.<

And awh! That's super cute! I mean Mulan finds the doll later in a burned down village, but I'm sure the little girl was fine. ^_^

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Well yeah, maybe they made more than one of the same doll!

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

And finally, we get to...

The Best of the Best!

These are the creme de la creme of Disney Villains! The greatest of all time! It was super hard for me to narrow it down to just 10, but here they are:

10. Cinderella: Lady Tremaine

I really have no idea what it is about her. This woman literally does nothing except boss Cinderella around and make her life miserable... But somehow she is seriously scary and super intimidating. Evil just eminates from her!

9. The Little Mermaid: Ursula

Did you guys know that Ursula was based on a tranny? Well, doesn't make her any less intimidating. Amazing song and just a total badass in general.

8. Tangled: Mother Gothel

Now, Disney villains have done some pretty awful shit, but only one has kidnapped a baby and locked her in a tower in complete isolation for her whole life just to preserve her eternal youth. But for me, I think the thing that makes Mother Gothel such an awesome villain is that she actually managed to convince Repunzel that she was her loving and protective mother. Repunzel genuinely believes that Mother Gothel is doing what's best for her by keeping her locked away from the dark, scary world. All the while Mother Gothel puts Repunzel down, making her feel ugly and stupid and useless, all while telling her that she's her mother and she loves her, which is... Pretty fucking dark. >.<

7. Aladdin: Jafar

Awesome in Aladdin. Equally awesome in the Return of Jafar. Possibly even better. Evil, conniving, manipulative and just all around awesome.

6. The Princess and the Frog: Dr Facilier

Easily, easily the best part of the movie. The Princess and the Frog was a pretty lame Disney movie, but it's worth watching just for him (and of course, that awesome song!) ^_^

5. Beauty and the Beast: Gaston

No one's slick as Gaston, no one's quick as Gaston, no one's such an incredible dick as Gaston! A pretty unique Disney Villain too since he actually starts out as the Town Hero. Everybody worships him. He didn't need to be a villain, but for that first time in his life, he can't get something he wants, and he turns into an absolutel monster! (Basically, the Donald Trump of Disney Villains.)

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
Ngl I saw an Ursula-Ariel bondage tentacle hentai once.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Uhh... Good for you. ^_^

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Accidentally pressed enter too early with the last one since I meant it to be the top 10, but now I give you:

The Greatest of All Time!

4. Sleeping Beauty: Maleficant

Maleficant has got to be the most iconic Disney Villain of all time, and there's a reason. She's fucking awesome!

3. The Lion King: Scar

What can I say? Awesome villain! Awesome evil deeds! Awesome song! Awesome death! (I think Scar wins mizal's award for best death, since he is the only Disney Villain to actually get eaten by his own minions.)

2. Hercules: Hades

Yeah, Hercules might not be everybody's favourite but... Screw you guys! I love it and I love Hades! He's fucking hilarious! ^_^

1. The Hunchback of Notre Dame: Frollo

Is it actually possible to get a more evil Disney Villain than Frollo? He kills, he tortures, he lusts after women, he locks babies away in a belltower and he sets all of Paris on fire... All while thinking he's the good guy! I think thats probably what makes Frollo such a good bad guy is that he doesn't actually know he's the bad guy, even while doing all this super evil shit. Just the most epic Disney Villain of all. (With the most epic Disney Villain song too. Sorry Be Prepared, you got a close second.)

... And I actually spent all day making this fucking list. Fuck you mizal. I'm going to bed. >.<

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
Jesus Christ, Briar.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Very much so. ^_^

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Second on the Frollo.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Here's my Top 6 Disney Villains: (with the highly important missing category Mizal forgot to include)

6. Obligatory inclusion of Gaston.

Evilness: 3/8
Gaston is an interesting case. Most of what he does isn't really evil in itself, he's just not very smart and wrapped up in himself. He gives the impression of a dude who just doesn't comprehend what he's doing, he just does it because that's how he thinks it should be.

Coolness: 6/8
He's simply magnificent. A genius, a hero, truly the ideal man. I think you'll find that nobody is quite like him. The dude can fire 3 shots in quick succession from a flintlock blunderbuss.

Complexity: 5/8
Through no fault of his own, Gaston is pretty interesting. In any other story, particularly any story told by a 17th century frenchman like Gaston's contemporaries, he would be the hero. There's not a lot to him, but because he's rewarded for being simply who he is, he never really had to develop himself to become anything else. His actions aren't born out of malice, he just expects the world to be literally and objectively how he sees it, because he's the product of a chauvinistic society. That's pretty deep for a children's film.

Minions: 5/8
Aside from leading one of the funnest disney villain songs, there's nothing particularly interesting about Le Fou. And the harem of identical blonde ladies swooning over him are pretty one-note, too. But that's sort of the thing, they are very good at what they do. And that's selling Gaston as being the biggest fucking deal in all of Early Modern France. You even sort of see this in how he barely has to sing his own villain song, everyone around him does it for him because they think he's just so great. In a way, his minions are the entire town. Which provides children with an interesting and pretty valuable message about not being afraid to deviate from the things that are expected from them. 

Of course, the live action remake had to remove this message by pushing their gay lefou fanfiction, where society actually barely did anything wrong and Gaston is just a selfish douche of his own volition rather than someone unaware of his privileged chad existence and confounded by someone who simply isn't like everyone else. The rewriters bought into the late 2016 meme from people who actually understood the source material, of taking the piss out of of Gaston. Except they undermine this message by doing it unironically within the narrative, and Le Fou has to actively convince other people to give a fuck about Gaston just to inflate his crush's ego. But I digress, that's far from the only thing horribly wrong with the remakes.

Defeat: 1/8
If it weren't for the rhyme (No one's Vain like Gaston, is a pain like Gaston, no one falls to his death in the rain like Gaston!) I don't think I'd even remember what happened to him.

Musical Number: 8/8
Gaston's song is the only one of these (aside from #1) that I remember most of the words to.

5. Scar, from The Lion King.
Evilness: 8/8
I mean, he was willing to turn on and kill his brother and his kid in order to secure his tyrannical rule. There's even a deleted scene where he tries to make Nala his queen, except non-consensually, which is when she ran away and found Simba. The mere fact that he's ruling over the land fucks up the balance of the world so bad that it turns the grassy Savannah into a flaming hellscape. There has never been a more evil lion. Though, I could name a few housecats.

He's literally a lion that commits murder, that would be pretty cool for a villain already. But the fact that he's Jeremy Irons being so deadpan and smug takes it a level above.

Complexity: 7/8
Aside from being most childrens' introduction to the drama of medieval courtly politics, the fact that he's able to contain his villainy until the great betrayal, and his skill in manipulating the others, really makes him pretty interesting and complex for a disney villain. He's like an opera character, but for kids.

Minions: 7/8
The hyenas are just a lot of fun. I dunno what else I can say. For a lot of my early life I was remembering "lions are UUUUGLY!" and my family and other kids would quote it with me. If it weren't for the fact that this list contains 2 notable exceptions, I'd say he has the most fun minions out of all Disney villains. But hey, top 3 is absolutely nothing to sneeze at. They also eat him alive at the end, so that's pretty cool.

Defeat: 2/8
He falls off a cliff, like most of them. But it gets 1 point for irony, and another for the fight scene.

Musical Number: 7/8
Aside from being appropriately dramatic and excellently ominous, it features fascist goose-stepping hyenas during a volcanic earthquake that punctuates Scar's villainous monologue. I'd post a link, but I'm not sure you're PREPARED.

4. The Horned King, from the Black Cauldron.

Evilness: 10/8
He's the only villain in the vague glob of disney canon I know who's made actual, serious attempts to kill a child. His minions do that, too. Plus, he actually succeeds inadvertantly in killing the little mustache creature. Jeffrey Katzenwhatzen cut his movie to shreds because he was so infuriated that the Black Cauldron caused frightened children to run out of the theatre during screenings. I doubt there's anybody else in the roster who have performed an exercise in villainy so pure that it even scares the target audience in real life.

He earns major points for John Hurt's voice, and generally being presented as the scariest motherfucker to walk the earth in a children's film. However he loses some points for spending the majority of the movie chasing after some goofy pink-colored Don Bluth pokemon for the majority of the movie, when he would have just been able to steal the cauldron from the kid anyway without the need to perform waterboard interrogation on a fucking pig... Oh right, did I mention that? Yeah he's probably the most evil disney villain.

Complexity: 2-4/8
At face value, his motivations are pretty simple. He's just a real scary dude with aspirations of world dominating power like many big bad villains, but there's a lot about him that goes unexplored in the movie. He's not the only king to preside over this land, and it's implied that he's not the first, either, as there was at least a guy before him who made The Black Cauldron, and then another one who was buried with the sword that the kid used. It makes you wonder, was The Horned King ever just a man like any other? Did he have a more complicated motivation before the years of witchcraft and conquest turned him into something different? Why does water burn him?

Minions: 7/8
I absolutely adore Creeper, his Goblin Minion. His scrappy stupid hyperactivity is just the sort of thing that led to my goblin obsession later in life, though Overlord probably played a bigger part in that. Creeper props this score up almost entirely on his own. The Horned King's Skeleton Army is also brilliantly macabre and genuinely ominous for all of the 2 minutes they appear on screen. The rest are some pretty typical greasy fantasy henchmen types, but they earn points for genuinely trying to kill the protagonist at some points, rather than treating him with the literal kid gloves that a normal Disney thing might've.

Death: 6/8
Dude gets sucked into a Hell Portal brought about by an ancient necromantic artifact being destroyed by human sacrifice. Sure, the death boils down to "fell off/into something" like most of them, but it's never had such METAL implications. He also fuckin' melts at the end.

Musical Number: 1/8
He doesn't really have one. Cool atmospheric music suite, though.

2.Rasputin, from Anastasia. Wait, OH FUCK! Hades, from Hercules.
Evilness: 8/8
You don't usually notice it, but usually the villain's goal is not actively trying to kill the protagonist. His motivation is similar to Scar, at least in the sense that he's trying to get back at Zeus for inheriting the role that he wanted, except you generally get the sense that he's gone a little batty about this after stewing over this shit for hundreds, if not thousands of years. He's also one of the few disney villains where killing the protagonist is one of his actual goals. Most of the time, when a conflict has to get violent it's sort of because the heroes are in the way of what the villain wants, but in this case, no. Hercules dying is actively part of his plan to get back at Zeus. Plus, he also kills main characters, at least as much as the Horned King does.

Coolness: 8/8
This should sort of speak for itself. Aside from his lair and his minions being really cool. Explaining why someone is charismatic not only usually fails words, but pretty much will make you sound really autistic every time, so I'm not really gonna get into it.

Complexity: 6/8
While not as complicated of a character as Scar, he has a similar motivation. Coupled with his skeeviness and the fact that outside of his most mustache-twirling moments, he manages to never really feel evil through sheer force of conniving, it makes him pretty fun to watch. He's basically the reason to see the movie.

Minions: 7.5/8
The little imps were sort of just annoying and not very memorable to me. But the Hydra, the Cyclops, the Titans, and Cerberus were so unbelievably badass that it feels sort of like cheating to include them. There's not a lot on this list that can compete with the pure, epic scale of his underlings.

Defeat: 7/8
One of the most bombastic "deaths" on this list. He gets launched fistward into the fucking River Styx and dragged into the abyss by the souls of the damned.

Musical Number: 0/8
He doesn't have one. But does he even really need one?

1. Long John Silver, from The Muppets' Treasure Island.
Evilness: 4-8/8
I mean, he's a pirate, but he's more of a smooth con man making a heist than an explicit murderer. He's not after blood or glory, he just wants the dirty money he believes he and his crew of bandits are entitled to. And while he's not pure, rotten, bastardly evil in the scheme of villains, that's part of what makes his evil so great. The fact that he's so charismatic and you get attached to him despite the fact that he's a fatally flawed person who's done terrible things, makes him a great bad guy.

Coolness: 8/8
Tim Curry is having the time of his life being a scheming one-legged pirate captain whose pet is a talking lobster. There's nothing about this performance not to love.

Complexity: 6-8/8
To an adult watching the movie, it's obvious from the ominous musical cues and the fact that you know the plot of Treasure Island that John is the bad guy. But to a kid, there's a certain level of ambiguity, and John and his "parrot" seem perfectly jovial and nice! Hell, Jim Hawkins certainly seems convinced! The movie itself feels sort of short and incomplete on an overall level, and perhaps they didn't leave in some scenes (or didn't have time to film them) that might've established Jim and John as closer friends, but 5 year old me understood it, and honestly the conflict between Long John Silver being a bad guy without necessarily being a terrible person was the first time I'd ever seen something like that.

Minions: 11/8
It's a crew of muppet pirates. I mean, it's really hard to argue with that. There's a lot of faces you might recognize in Cap'n Flint's crew, and a few of the more rarely used muppets/fraggle rock characters who really shine as pirates! 2 characters were even made specifically for this movie! They're the right mix of genuinely hilarious yet also intimidating enough for a kid to take seriously, they're everything a disney villain's entourage should be, and more.

Defeat: 8/8
There's a great swashbuckling slapstick pirate battle where Long John is ultimately defeated, but the end for Silver is ultimately much more poetic. His final confrontation with Jim is, I daresay, poignant for a kid's movie, and as he escapes the brig with Flint's gold after being let go by Jim, it embodies the very thing that makes an otherwise friendly sailor into a villainous pirate. He was after the gold, at all costs, even the cost of his friendship with Jim. While it's funny that we learn later on the boat starts sinking, there's a certain irony to Long John bailing out his sinking rowboat full of extremely heavy gold and jewels that reminds me of the deliberately ironic and kind of depressing imagery at the end of Roman Polanski's Pirates movie.

Musical Number: 8/8
This should speak for itself. I know I always wanted to be a professional pirate!

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

You missed out 3. :p

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

I kept changing 3 (ultimately removed it when I googled and found out Rasputin was a Dreamworks villain during that era when they were trying to make the same movies) and then realized it was going to be a lot of work to write in all the catergories. I guess I'd put Ursula there maybe. Or Cruella! The possibilities are... Probably just those two, honestly.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Okey dokey! ... Also, Great Inclusion of Long John there. I'm only going based on animated/partially animated films. ^_^

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Your Disknowledge is way bigger than mine, I forgot half of those movies even existed! I don't even think I could name a villain from a Disney sequel.

Except, maybe, like... The bald dude from Aladdin 3. Or the Organ in Beauty and the Beast in that movie that makes the timeline more ridiculously confusing than it already was. (coincidentally also voiced by Tim Curry!)

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Oh fuck, I just realized I forgot Abysmal from Aladdin 2! >.<

(It's okay, I'll just leave off one of the minor unimportant villains from something else.) ^_^

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Wait, was his name literally Abysmal? Holy fuck. I'd literally never seen it spelled out, I thought they were using entirely different syllable sounds because it didn't make sense to my kid brain

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

I think so. Will have to look it up. ^_^

Edit: My mistake. Abis Mal

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

For some reason as a kid I heard "Abdi Small" and assumed the pun was that he was short.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

I suppose it does sound kind of like, "I be small" ^_^

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
I forgot the Muppets are a Disney thing now. THIS. CHANGES. EVERYTHING. Muppet Treasure Island is honestly so underrated.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Shiver My Timbers has got to be one of the best villain songs ever. ^_^

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
I'll never get over Scar's Be Prepared. What a haunting villain song. The vocal work is ridiculous, especially when you consider that two guys sang it. If I understand it correctly, Jeremy Irons sang until the really loud "You won't get a sniff without me!" scream (when his vocal cords gave out), and then the guy who voiced Darkwing Duck and the main guard in Aladdin did the rest of it (Jim Cummings).

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Hmm, I'll give this a shot. For each category I'll do a best and worst. This is off the top of my head, so I'm sure it will be wildly unpopular.

1. Evilness

Best is Scar from lion king. Lion King is good in so many ways, but Scar is truly evil. He has the most premeditation and plots against his own immediate family. His brother is (basically) killed at his own hands, and he encourages someone else to kill his nephew. Does any other Disney villain go after their own family? I think there are some but not quite like Scar does. His plans are also announced in song, which is the best way to reveal that you want to wipe out your brothers bloodline in one day. Hades might be the only one who comes close, but he doesn't feel as sinister because he is hilarious. He also isn't killing the other gods, just locking them in his basement forever. 

Oh, actually I have to add in Monseigneur Claude Frollo here. He literally kills a Gypsy mother while she holds her baby. After that, he locks the baby in the bell tower for its entire life. Not to mention that his kill is during his "holy" effort you murder all of the Gypsy's. He does it in the name of my religion too. Screw you Frollo. I do dislike this movie in general, but it's very dark. 

Worst has to be Iago from Aladdin. You remember Jafar's parrot right? He is a villain, at first. Later on, he sort of joins Aladdin's group though. There isn't really evilness in him, only greed. Abou also is greedy though, and he is always considered a hero. Without Jafar Iago isn't villainous, so he isn't very evil at all.

2. Coolness

Worst shall be first because it is easy: Gaston is the least cool villain. He isn't that evil either, but he is the villain of Beauty and the Beast who THINKS he is cool. Thinking that you are so cool and being wrong is the most uncool thing you can do. He also tries to propose and ends up in pig shit. Lame. Honorable mentions are horas and jasper from 101 Dalmatians. Also uncool to just do a rich girls bidding while getting nothing out of it for yourself, and they attack puppies. The puppies also outsmart them. Nothing goes well for these three...

Best is... gosh this is harder. I'm going to call it a tie between Scar and Maleficent. They are just so patient, confident, and calculated. Actually, going with Maleficent. She just shows up unannounced to Aurora's party, laughs in the face of all the guards and fairies, announces her plan to them, and still makes it happen AFTER THEY HAVE 16 YEARS TO STOP IT. She is too cool. There is also an iconic element for her being such a classic villain and looking the part well. I envy her powers too. Everything about her is cool. 

3. Complexity (A+ on the category here!)

Again, the worst seems easiest. I'm going with the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland. "Off with her head!" That is literally half of that characters lines, and all I remember about them. If there is anything deep about this air-headed queen, then I don't remember it.

There are a few competing for most complex. Cinderella's step mother comes to mind though. She sort of manipulates her way into taking all of Cinderella's families money and status, while picking up a servant (Cinderella). I'm not sure that Cinderella's dad died of natural causes. What's worse is that she doesn't really get caught. To most people she is a highly respected member of society, even at the end of the movie. Everything she does is to increase her position, so she isn't simply after revenge.   Her method is pretty diabolically complex too. She marries herself and (tries to) marry off her daughters. Think about it, if she got that slipper to fit on her daughters enormous feet, she would have been living in the palace without doing anything but manipulating people. There is also the fact that she picks up on things quickly. One look and she realizes that Cinderella is probably the girl the Prince is looking for, so she locks Cinderella up before they know another girl is in the house. All in all, she is a relatively complex character who manipulates everyone around her with devastating consequences to them that are not obviously apparent to other characters.

That answer doesn't feel right though. Ratigan could be up there for all of his issues. Why does he want to be a mouse anyway? Ehh, I'll go with Cinderella's step mom.

4. Defeat - for clarity best defeat is the coolest or most iconic way to lose and worst is lamest way to go down.

Hmm worst is a tie. Ursula got crashed into by a boat and every villain that was defeated by true loves first kiss is a cliché now. I'll say Ursula because... I mean... couldn't you stop the boat? You control the entire ocean and all of the currents! Stop the boat! Oh, or smack it with your super huge dingle-hopper, err, trident.

Best is also a tie. I'm going with Scar from Lion King and Shan Yu from Mulan. There are a lot of good ones, but I live when Simba throws Scar off of him and says exactly what his uncle said to him, "Run. Run away and never return." To top it off, the hungry hyenas that he used to gain power and betrays are the ones who ultimately kill him. That's some poetic justice. He ends up dying the way he intended to kill Simba, and Simba doesn't even dirty his hands after defeating him. Epic. Oh, Mulan is epic too. Talk about snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. If those men didn't dress as women the moment they did, the emperor would be dead. The ending is funny, exciting, and has fireworks! Great movie with a great ending.

5. Musical number 

Best is all of them! Well, no. I'm going with "Be Prepared" from the Lion King because that one is fun and sticks out  in my head. There are a lot you could say though. "Mother Knows Best" from tangled is also good. It's so funny because it's so true to how parents typically act to their kids. Makes you think that your mom might be a villain... 

Honorable mentions that are just listed (this is for best not worst):
"Gaston"

"Poor Unfortunate Souls"

"Cruella De Vil" (not sung by the villain)

"The Gospel Truth" (not sung by villain)

"I Won't Say I'm in Love" (is Meg considered a villain? I didn't consider a villain for any other question. Either way, I like the song so it stays.)

Does the worst have to be someone that sings? There are plenty who don't. Of the songs that I remember, "Hellfire" is one I didn't like. Actually, I sort of disliked the Hunchback of Notredame in general.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Oh, an excellent point there! I nominate Meg from Hercules for most complex villain. ^_^

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

She is also the least evil villain too. Best musical number... she could win a lot of these if she is indeed considered a villain.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Lol.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Let's not forget how Square just turned them all into (semi) good guys by KH3 lol

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Okay I think Briar's had enough Disney, better give me her car keys.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

No such thing! ^_^

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

The Lion King was a significant part of my childhod and such a milestone in animation history it deserves al the popularity and recognition it's gotten and more. This thread is full of text walls so I won't add to them, but Scar is so treacherous and despicable while at the same time oddly charismatic, with an amazing voice. He makes for such a memorable vilain.

It's not a perfect film. The theme of a royal bloodline with some divine right to rule is...not great, and there's a couple of other problematic things that I won't get into because no one here will care. But this was the movie that made African animals and life in the savanah a permanent part of my imaginary world as a child. (I also sort of refused to accept Scar's death, he always simply didn't do the sudden idiot move of blaming the hyenas at the end, and therefore escaped to be lurking around and scheming and making the occasional cameo in these little plots that would run through my head..)

To be fair, sometimes I would have it so that Mufasa dodged death too. Now there's another incredible character, but that's for another thread.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

At the risk of sounding stereotypical as hell, I have to say Scar. I mean, "Long live the king"  is not only an amazing line performed spectacularly, but really can been seen as a pure distillation of his character.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

While the Headless Horseman is usually considered the villain in that story, technically Ichabod Crane is a villain protagonist. HH just happened to be a more powerful villain.

Ichabod isn't very likable in general.

He's obsessed with food to the point where he steals a pie from some housewife under the guise of being "nice." To say nothing of when he's shovelling food in his mouth like a pig in the tavern. He gets off on being a petty tyrant as the school teacher, and he's a huge coward.

He's even shallow in his reasons for liking Katrina. Hell, he seems to be way more interested in the amount of money he's going to get by marrying her, rather than even just her looks.

Say what you want about Brom, but he at least seemed pretty interested in her for the usual reasons.

Now it can certainly be argued that Brom isn't too much better or even worse if you believe him to be dressed up like HH (As opposed to HH actually being a real ghost), but shit, if he went to THAT length to win Katrina then he certainly deserved her more than Ich.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

This goes to show you that all it takes is a difffering perspective to look at someone as the villian. 

I think this might conicide a bit with the those that fancy sisters getting in incestous relationships with one another. As they also might consider poor Kristoff to be the villian towards that fleeting fantasy of theirs.

Mhm, totes. Totally. 

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

A good point. Plus, if you consider the fact that the Headless Horseman is most likely Brom in disguise, then he makes a considerably less scary villain. "LOL, it's just a prank, bro!"

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Actually, looking back, I'd like to completely rearrage my scariest villains list and give the scariest villain award to the T-Rex. ^_^

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

LMAO! Well, to be fair, have you ever seem Brom and Gaston in the same place at the same time? ^_^

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Well, they would be up to a hundred years and an atlantic ocean apart.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
For $70 a year I couldn't think of any more excuses not to take the plunge on Disney Plus.

I rewatched Tangled yesterday and Wreck It Ralph today. Wreck it Ralph has been a favorite of mine as far as CGI films go, it's ridiculously fun and heartwarming with so many Easter eggs, plus King Candy *has* to win some kind of villain award for actual nightmares induced in children.

But there's just a lot more to say about Tangled and the dynamic between Gothel and Rapunzel. I love that film for a lot of reasons, but especially the fact they went with a less dramatic but much more slimy and believable kind of evil. Rapunzel's reaction of rapidly cycling between euphoria and guilt and worry once she leaves the tower is played up for laughs, but it shows this evil MILFy wine mom clearly has her claws in her and has left her an emotional fuckup even when absent, on a personal level that other villains don't achieve when they're simply out to murder the hero or take over something.

I feel like if I'm looking at all these CGI things I should revisit some Pixar films too, but I realized that a lot of them don't even have to rely on a traditional villain, they're just imaginative and interesting af and can brutally yank at the heartstrings without even needing a Designated Asshole to move the plot along.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Most of the later Disney and Pixar films don't have proper major villains. (Wreckit Ralph 2, Frozen 2, Moana, Brave, etc)

Something about moving away from having them for some reason.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

It's mostly down to focusing on internal conflicts over externalizing them because "society", but there's themes like:

Finding success after failure. (Moana)

Defying your traditions when they bring more harm than good. (Brave)

Discovering the truth, even if it's ugly. (Frozen 2)

Making peace with others and their choices (Wreckit Ralph 2).

I liked Wreckit Ralph 2 in the sense that it was the opposite of the first movie's theme (making peace with yourself) but the pacing didn't quite let that idea breathe for long enough.  That, and Ralph didn't need to have a supersized virus of himself to be his own villain.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
I'm going to watch Wreck It 2 when I can. Never seen that one but I hear it really breaks the mold and gets a little batshit in a good way.

I'm also going to watch some of these other Tangled products my search pulled up and report back to the thread. Expecting them to be awful, but back in the day at least Disney did manage to have some decent cartoon series's spun off of its movies. I was pretty into that Aladdin one.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

The Aladdin cartoons were amazing! Now-a-days cartoons don't seem to be as good in general. I don't think it's because I'm older either. I watched one episode of "Teen Titian's Go" awhile back to compare to the old "Teen Titian's" show, and I'm now forever scarred by the experience.

As for Wreck It Ralph 2, I can't watch it for a funny reason. My wife literally has forbidden it because the title is "Ralph Breaks the Internet" rather than "Ralph Wrecks the Internet." Simple but powerful logic. To be fair, I've yet to see the first as well.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Just remembered Toy Story 4 doesn't really have an outright villain either. I mean it looks like it does, but it later turns out the villain is just more of an antagonist.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Ralph Breaks the Internet was also about making peace with himself, rather than trying to find his identity in his friendships (Vanelope) or how others define you (stupid social media comments.) The idea of his own insecurities becoming the villain was pretty well done, if a bit predictible with the forshadowing. While he did need to stop controlling Vanellope, that was more a symptom of his insecurity than the main point.

Also, I have to give the movie props for the adorable, terribly off-key princess song about drift racing, and Disney poking fun at itself with a lot of the jokes.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Ralph Breaks the Internet isn't even available to watch until mid December.

Best Disney?

3 years ago

Obligatory "Disney's / Bob Chapek is the best villain" because someone has to :

1. 100/10 evil.  Buy out entire companies of opposing sides and reduce them to their most controversial / banal parts, generating income off of shrieking and wrist-shaking from all kinds of people. Constantly reneg on contracts to tighten control over IP.  Water down cultures into something vaguely relatable for the LCD instead of doubling down on faithfulness to adaptations.  Concentrate the most talented performers and creative minds and force them into shitting out unoriginal, often white-washed / rose-tinted content.  Well-executed, still.

2. They have theme parks all over the world that generate stupid amounts of income and amenities just by existing off of brand alone.  They own sports, news, video games (sorely lacking on that department), and have a solid finger in just about every bit of social media they can get their hands on.  They have chicken coops dedicated to pecking out bugs, and have eliminated mosquitoes (mostly) from their park in Florida.  In fucking swampy-ass Florida.

3. Its sheer size makes the lives of tens of thousands of employees dependent on it.  Even with all the criticisms raised against Disney, it leads the forefront on animation studios, IPs, marketing, and music like no other.  If Disney were to be dissolved overnight, even the contractors from musicians to construction workers would be out of a job.  Disney also owns Fox and other companies that share dissenting opinions from its mainline mission statements, and because of its diversity is practically included in all parts of a family's life (provided said family consumes mainstream media), even if said families don't share the same values.

4. Its own sheer size and complexity makes it bursting at the seams at any given time, and a single antitrust investigation (should a wrinkly old Senator / judge get tired of his shitty 100k/annum bribe) could rip it apart and have all the internal companies and studios burst out into independent media production corporations.  Considering the dumbing-down approach though, Mr. Walt still gets the last laugh as any follow-up company would probably be too dependent on mediocre materials and topics to overtake Disney.  Literally too big to fail.

5. It's A Small World is literally a jab at the entire globe for sucking up to Disney as easily as it does. It open admits to using your internal and external struggles as fuel to create relatable content that you pay money out the ass for you or your kids to watch. There's so many renditions of the theme that it becomes timeless in any era, from the shitty 2000s remixes to the 10s remasters to the broken, crackling speakers still used in 2020.  The echo of Disney's global anthem will reveberate for at least a century after its death (whenever that may be), based solely on the power of nostalgia.  I wouldn't be surprised if someone wrote a religious book out of its practices two centuries down the line.

Best Disney?

3 years ago
In other words, buy more stocks.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
The true villain revealed. Also, I took a quick peek into the world of Tangled fanfic, and I've never been more disappointed in my life. Flynn was just non existent, as was the expected Gothel/Rapunzel lesbian sex, and instead everyone is obsessed with a couple of characters from the cartoon that weren't even in the movie. Well that and alternate universe "reimaginings" where everyone is a modern person living in an apartment or some inane drivel like that, which honestly might be the very worst fanfic 'genre' to come into popularity and every single one of these people deserves to die and then be trapped in a hell dimension where they're in an eternally repeating episode of Friends and can't escape.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

The picture isn't loading for me.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
Okay, for those of you with Disney Plus who hate yourselves as much as I do, there appears to be a bottomless pit of shovelware cartoons and shorts for every major movie where it seemed marketable. Do we dare delve into these? Are any of them actually good?

Sadly, the Aladdin series which is the only one I remember ever really liking is not anywhere on this service. I'll have to try and figure out if it still exists anywhere at all.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
How in the world is Aladdin not on Disney Plus? You have ESPN on Disney Plus but not Aladdin? What the hell is this madness?

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
The movies are there, but not the TV series. (Which was better than both sequels.)

I don't get it either.

But actually I'm up for recommendations for direct to video sequels to the classic movies too. Simba's Pride was....okayish, and I know I shouldn't complain because the sequels that came out for the other movies in that dark period were uniformly terrible, but I didn't keep up with anything close to all of them.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Umm, let's see. I remember the Lelo and Stitch cartoon series being okay. I was much younger when I watched it last though. It might also not be on Disney+. I have not checked. Hopefully they will add that Aladdin cartoon. I know exactly what you ar talking about there. I don't remember any others. Lion king had one, I think, but I never saw it.

Edit: Lelo and Stitch does have the cartoon on Disney+. Also, I remember liking the Emporers New School. My family really enjoyed the Emporers New Groove though. I looked up what was on Disney plus and saw that one.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
There was a series about Timon and Pumbaa, but it was just pure 4th wall breaking slapstick not tied to the movie at all.

I can't remember too much about it except that even Lion King obsessed child that I was, I felt only vague disappointment when I saw it was on and had to be scrolling through channels desperately bored to ever watch it.

....being "bored", an activity that involved having free time but being unhappy about it. Another weird thing about child me's brain I can't understand the workings of at all now, even though I remember that it did sometimes happen.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Yeah, I loved Timon and Pumbaa, but anything that focuses on just them is really bad. Lion King 1 and a half was also... 4th wall breaking slapstick commentary of the original movie. I was disappointed. There is one called "The Lion Guard" though. Apparently, it fills the time between the first and second movie.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

With Simba's son! Because everybody remembers Simba's son from the second movie, right? Just like everybody remembers all of the evil lions who were exiled from the first movie. ^_^

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

There being ONE lioness that was loyal to Scar would have been believable. But a group the size shown in the sequel who would also have had hundreds of hyenas with them, it would have been a civil war, and they would have won.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

The Hyenas would not have been loyal to Scar though. There is a scene in the first movie where they... politely become I loyal to him. I do agree that it's strange that Simba has a son in the show and a daughter in the movie. I also was confused at the size of the evil lion pride. The one lioness and her three kids might make sense. The rest are out of place.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
Ooh, ooh, I can explain about the son!

You see, the cub at the end of The Lion King, and the one at the beginning of Simba's Pride are clearly completely different animals. In the days of my wasted youth, I read countless depressing sadfics about the fate of the poor little tyke that came before Kiara. Glad he seems to finally officially have some kind of existence.

The size of the outsider lioness pack was indeed weird. Even back then I was strongly questioning how so many large carnivores could survive out there, and wondering why they didn't just go off to the jungle like Simba did.

Chalking it up to a simple lack of thought on the part of the writers, like the way they got so far into production before suddenly realizing they needed to cram in a line about Kovu being Scar's ADOPTED son, so that he could bang the daughter of Scar's nephew without issue.

The first movie wisely did not address Nala's parentage at all.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Well, there's only two adult male lions in the pride, and Scar is very obviously gay, so... ... ... Oh dear. O.O

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
I mean even if he's not completely gay, AT BEST, Simba and Nala are first cousins.

Who had a cub who then wanted to get with Simba's other cousin (and Nala's half brother) Kovu, if not for the fact that there was a throwaway line about Kovu being "adopted".

While some genetic diversity is sorely needed in that pride, I'm just not buying it in the situation presented here.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
Sounds like Game of Thrones: Lion addition.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

There was a Hercules and Little Mermaid TV series that I remember enjoying when I was little. Infact, I remember that in one of the episodes they had a Hercules and Aladdin crossover. ^_^

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

And I just remembered a series called "Jungle Cubs" where it was the animals from Jungle Book but they were all cubs... Couldn't take it seriously because Shere Khan wasn't British.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
Silly Briar, the British accent doesn't happen until one becomes TRULY evil.

I just rewatched Simba's Pride over another breakfast of Thanksgiving leftovers, I'll check out that Lion Guard thing in a bit and then maybe Jungle Cubs if I'm not all furried out. Just gotta be careful in my quest to get my money's worth to not watch things so bad that they start negatively affecting my total.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago

Watch out, Mizals next story is going to be a fresh take on how the one lioness built an evil lion army by herself. The protagonist will be a furry in lion pajamas that somehow reproduces with an actual lion. I can see it now: Mizals Lionking spin-off, the first featured story in the brand new "furry" story game category.

Edit: It was all sarcasm! Please don't ban me.

Best Disney Villain?

3 years ago
Too much turkey has made you retarded.

It's okay, it happens to the best of us. Hopefully this is only temporary.

Best Disney Animated Movie? (DELUXE EDITION)

3 years ago

I have been asked to share this because we were talking about disney in the Discord. Feel free to create your own. Be Warned: There's a lot and you might go on a trip down memory lane.

https://tiermaker.com/create/disney-animated-movies-319669

3 years ago

... Who the fuck put Basil the Great Mouse Detective in "Pretend these don't exist"? >.<

3 years ago

The community.

Do you have a better list?

3 years ago

I agree since I liked this movie. I found a few surprises in that list. For example, I thought Onward was fairly good. Not god tier, but it wasn't bad or pretend it doesn't exist. Maybe quality or fairly good. I also would (personally) switch Toystory (they had in quality) and Toystory 2 (they had in god tier). I'm glad the entire series is highly ranked though. All of those were good.