Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago

While I’m sure at least some of you slugs are familiar that we’re at war with Intfiction, what might be less known is there’s one of their number by the name of Mathbrush that pretty much rates and reviews EVERY fucking IF story in the IFDB, except for any of the CYS stuff.

Well,that all changed on December 4th. I’m not exactly sure what spurred this sudden interest in any of our stories since the IF lot have always generally ignored CYS for various reasons, but guess which story was reviewed first?

(Hint: It’s in the title of the thread)

Before we begin, I’ll say the rating of the story is actually fine, so I’m not attacking Math for any of that. Hell, he was pretty fair all things considered.

However, this wouldn’t be CYS if we didn’t mock the shit out of things.

So as my daughter Cricket would say “Uff da, here we go.”

Goddamn right it is.

Yep, without CYS, AI Dungeon wouldn’t fucking exist. Truly our seeds of creativity (especially mine) impregnated the code that would eventually give birth to the most complex adlib generator for all IF nerds to enjoy.

Now we’re getting to it!

Yep, we’re definitely very different from the other writing communities because we aren’t a bunch of faggots that get triggered over the most minor of things. CYS forums represent that freedom which is so lacking in so many other writing forums

Oh come on, we don’t have THAT much rape and incest around here. And some of the rape is female on male or even same sex rape so we’re being pretty egalitarian and inclusive in that regard. Hell, we even have not one but TWO important edutainment stories about how NOT to get raped.

And what’s wrong with incest anyway, I thought we were supposed to be embracing “inclusivity” nowadays. Love is love and all that.

Oh sure, let the mentally ill person who wants to cut off his dick get fucked in the ass by multiple leather boys, but god forbid you write about a beautiful consensual wholesome relationship about a brother and sister who knew they were meant to be together since they shared the same womb.

And if all those school stories were actually about school shootings, there wouldn’t have been a need to delete that category since it would have been a whole lot more interesting.

If all that is pushing the boundaries, well I’ll wear the badge of honor. All right thinking CYStians would.

Other than the retarded “fanfic” comment, the bit that stands out here is “This game is an example of all these things.” which was a reference to CYS general atmosphere. 

Basically, Eternal is the embodiment of CYS in story form. 

Honestly, there can be no greater compliment.

Okay, there’s some amusing stuff going on here. Mainly because this is making it sound like there’s RAEP on every other page, when I’d probably say there might be three or four places where it actually occurs with the main character. And in every instance it’s either involving Semra or her daughter Edolith. (It never ends well most of the time either) and even that’s only in certain paths.

No mention of when Francis trains the svelk boy and becomes his mentor? Or how about the Shadow path where he basically become celibate after Tanya’s death and becomes a father to the little girl? (Hell in that path he SAVED the little girl’s mom from rape!)

In any case, I’m glad to see Math wasn’t a faggot and carried on with the story to seek out ALL the rape scenes.

Ignoring the last retarded "Edit Edit" comment where he gushes over some lesser story, like I said, the rating itself is fine. Actually higher than I figured I’d get if any of the IF crew actually rated anything of mine.

And goddamn right it outstrips any IFComp game, because I had a vision and wrote it with the same passion a brother has for a sister without giving a shit if people were going to be offended or not.

Bring the praise, bring the hate, doesn't matter, I look upon my work and saw that it was without compromise and it was good.

So that’s the review, now let’s look at those that found the review helpful.

Oh, they’re a bunch of faggots. Nevermind.

136th murder-rape? Do these people just multiply the number of actual rapes by 30 or something?

By all means be offended by the RAEP bits (And other bits), but sheesh there was way more to the story than Eternal Svelk Rapin’ Rampage. 

(That’ll be the next story, I promise guys!)

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago

They must've played Mizal's PSA story 135 times before Eternal. I'm honestly hard-pressed to remember that many stories that actually contained rape. (And weren't deleted) I mean, it's mentioned, and there is the occassional sexual activity someone said yes to but didn't like, but if we were against that sort of thing we'd have to ban prostitution!

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago

you should update the game to give us the dark elf rape holocaust we deserve 

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago

I can't get past the thought people would use a profanity filter to protect themselves from seeing bad words.

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago

hey now, i need it on the forums just to avoid a serious triggering. 

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago
Why would I call a trans woman the objectively best dinosaur? Morgan must've been off her meds again.

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago

Lol, that Rovarsson guy is on the Adrift forum. I guess he missed the 'grimdark' and 'villain protagonist' tags.

Here's the Eternal IFDB page if any of you would like to leave your own comments or reviews. (They have a strict policy on spoilers though so be aware.) Maybe someone wants to correct the fake rape accusations, maybe not. (Someone probably should though or people will just come here looking to get their rocks off on loads of RAEP and then be disappointed that we're not THAT kind of site.)

By far the funniest thing to me though is the comment about a "school shooting" based category. Which had to come solely from this thread title about axing School-based, aka the best decision ever made here since JJJ purged the Warrior Cats. So I'll take full credit for that.

But at this point the IF community's continued issues with making assumptions about our site based on their own poor reading comprehension are becoming a meme in their own right. God I can only wish those stories had been about school shootings instead of the reality of whether to eat toast or cereal for breakfast and then which boy to text and whether you make it to the bus on time and who to sit by, END PART ONE. But then I suppose we would've left them be and Endmaster never would've gotten his own fantasy category.

I'm really glad he pointed out the number of readers and ratings though. Thousands of edgy 15 year olds can't be wrong, and just the fact that games here are guaranteed even three to seven detailed reviews on average puts us light-years ahead of 99% of the content on the IFDB. (Hell, games published outside the IFComp might get that Mathbrush guy looking at them, and that's it.)

You guys that have always been here might not realize just how starved the rest of the community is for any kind of feedback or recognition at all. But it's just something that comes to us based on our tireless commitment to quality, clean living and a pure heart.

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago

we're all edgy fifteen years old racists and it's great 

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago

Ah, removing school-based. Best thing to happen since I made an account here. I noticed the levels of feedback we get on this site shortly after being linked to it. Pretty amazing, honestly, and the reason I'll be making contributions to the site, right after a significant side-quest. Lots of impact to be had in smoothing out pain points in the site functionality, which'll make the community even better.

Funny to see people on IFDB continue to read/write with bouts of illiteracy as it only proves the superiority of this community.

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago

There were enough games about school shooters to warrant its own category

Lol what a retard

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago

I dont remember Francis actually raping anyone (my memory might not be very clear on that tho)

And of it was a traditional IF and they're going into a room and type "rape bitches" who is the real monster then?

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago
There's an entire genre of IF dedicated to doing four letter verbs to various lady parts, it's actually more popular than the normal kind. Which is another reason I don't understand the attitude of elitism in the community.

Hell, by FAR the most popular and lucrative Inform game ever made is about raping furries, and getting raped in turn. And that's actually the most normal baseline fetish that it just starts out with. Reading the wiki is not for the faint of heart.

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago

Lol

We may be the villains, but at least we're not rape fetishists and can look down on everyone else now

Whether they partake or not

So nice to be able to be so smug

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago

They're not being ironic? Geez. lol 

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago

They are not

They want to destroy things you hold dear

Such as fantasizing about having father daughter time with End Master

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago
I don't remember reading any rape scenes at all in Eternal though it was a while back :) The reviewer obviously takes a close interest in this sort of thing, "martyring" himself by reading about boobs and stuff to save the eyes and brains of more innocent underlings, what a tough job :D I mean it’s a bit weird imagining some guy staying up late at night hunched over a computer screen staring at End’s writing and muttering stuff like “That’s the 78th time he’s referred to reproduction in this story, naughty, naughty, and the adjectives he used there, shocking, shocking, alas, I appear to be drooling again...” :S

Eternal Rapist

3 years ago

Decided to throw up a guide here to all the "Surprise Sex" scenes in case people are seeking them out and being disappointed that there are no where near 136 of them.

The "worst" is a dead end path where you RAEP Edolith in front of her mom who is egging you on from a near comatose state. Eventually Semra kills you too since she needs the energy. So you get a bad end.

That one occurs in the Relic chapter 3C1

The second and third being Semra on You (via disguised as Alison) and You on Semra which starts out as normal sex until she figures out you're just trying to get her to lower her mental guard in order to get info from her. So it's a wash on those two.

The former occurs in the Fortunate Son chapter 2C, the latter occurs in the Successor path chapter 3C2

That's it. There are no other proper RAEPs involving the main protagonist.

Unless you want to count the ATTEMPTED RAEP against Edolith in the Fortunate Son path though that branch leads to failure and your dick getting cut off and shoved in your mouth. So a big fail there. Before that bad ending the Eternal is acting like an asshole to her and fucking her on the regular, but she agreed to that.

There's also a scene in the the Fortunate Son path where you're torturing the shit out of Eldolith but you don't do any rape shit.

So 4 at most directly involving the protagonist and only 3 of them where he's the aggressor and 2 of those lead to a bad end immediately.

Okay, so are there other rapey bits? Well maybe but you'd still be hard pressed to find many and most are just references and none involve the main character directly.

Now there's a scene where I mentioned where you save a woman from getting raped (or in the process of it) her boyfriend also got raped (and killed). That's in the Last Shadow path chapter 3B2.

There's also ANOTHER bit where the Eternal indirectly warns one of his fellow Eternals from getting RAEPED in the Born to Kill path where you're becoming a regular soldier. That one isn't shown, just the aftermath of the other Eternal having killed his superior officer.

Oh look there's ANOTHER bit where the Eternal is frowning upon the rapey second gen Eternals in the end of the For the Empire! path Chapter 2A. Actually he frowns on it quite a bit in all paths (There's another bit like that when he's talking to Alison) since he's damn near asexual most of the time and leans more towards being monogamous.

It's possible I'm missing a few, but there's not even 10, let alone anything going into the triple digits.

And this is out of 648,069 Words and nearly 500 pages folks. Lol.

Eternal Rapist

3 years ago

I honestly didnt remember there being like, 4 rape scenes with two of them being questionable.

The one in Rogues that goes into detail about the elves hairy bush crabs will haunt me forever though.

Eternal Rapist

3 years ago

Can't wait for them to stumble upon that one!

Eternal Rapist

3 years ago

Lol

Eternal Rapist

3 years ago
Wow, 650k words, basically translates to 8 good paperback novels. That is a lot of writing.

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago

It's the story I always wanted to do perfected.

Legend was the first hilariously failed attempt.

Ground Zero was the next step.

Necromancer was the next to last.

Then Eternal was what all those attempts lead up to.

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago
Cool, will check it out.

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago
Looks like Tim has clarified a few things about the "school shooting" category and our approach to writing and rating and so on, as well as putting up a nice review of Necromancer.

Starbourne also did an Eternal review although it was mostly jabs at the 'fanfic' and '136 murder rapes' comments.

I'm going to launch the new Outpost on Saturday, and we'll have to reward our patriots.

In the meantime, if anyone reviews a CYS game over there, like a proper review, repost it here if you want a commendation.

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago
I don't know what exactly consists of a proper review, but I did one on Death Song nonetheless, as it seemed lacking in ratings and reviews.

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago
Commended by mizal on 12/14/2020 8:49:26 PM

Left a review. If you want further proof, I've got the screenshot.

"This game is one of the first I ever read on CYS, and it's still one of my absolute favorites to this day. The protagonist's inner struggle between the Emperor he's been conditioned to serve since birth, and the increasing amount of evidence that everything he's ever been taught is false, was engrossing to read. Indeed, the character's thoughts and feelings as his mindset slowly shifts from the person he was raised to be to who he wants to become, is so detailed and fleshed out, that you can actually immerse yourself in that pain and self-doubt. Every moment in the game feels special and unique, and the surrounding characters and their motivations are so well-written that their death, treason, suffering, ect. hits you right in the gut. Even his enemies have reasoning for what they do, and the game does a good job of showing you their perspective, until you (and, of course, the protagonist) no longer know what to do. The game isn't some glorified rape and murder fantasy, it's a genuine work of art that deserves to be a best-selling novel, and the fact that we all get to enjoy it for absolutely free is just an extension of the love and consideration that EndMaster put into this masterpiece."

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago
Nice one. You ought to put that on the story here too.

Oh and I know I said to paste the full comments but that's actually not necessary and could make the thread a little too cluttered if several people did it. I can check the IFDB easily enough, so all anybody has to do is let me know. Meanwhile if @Tim36D and @Starbourne just pop into this thread and say anything I'll commend the post.

Still lagging on the Outpost thread, I've just been tired every damn day lol.

Just wanted to make it clear again though that I really don't want to see any trolling of Mathbrush's review, the misconceptions have been thoroughly straightened out by now and it's a long, detailed review of the kind I wish more people would do around here even if I didn't agree with some of it. He's even explained that the real reason he has trouble with parts of Eternal is that he feels bad for enjoying it due to Mormon guilt.

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago
Commended by mizal on 12/14/2020 9:04:35 PM
Hey hey, I did one for Death Song a while ago.
If you haven't read Necromancer before, I suggest you do so. Although Death Song is more of a parallel, most recommend reading Necromancer first.

All of that aside, this game is amazing. The plot tells of a musician struggling to survive in the world ruined by the main character in Necromancer.

The writing is emotional, even haunting at times due to the desperation, struggles, and the dismal situation of the time. There are a variety of endings, each with it's own sense of despair. Some are where The musician dies alone, humming a tune to himself; The musician plays one last tune before the NECROMANCER, before drifting off, etc.. You can really relate to the character as it is extremely well written, the choices feel logical and every character has a great backstory, defining characteristic, etc. Nearing the end, you feel that death is surrounding you, that you are running away(if you survived) but it is slowly catching up, as if every step you take is closer to doom.

Overall, I would recommend it for anybody who would want an extremely emotional play(Don't say anything, but I almost sobbed), another great one from EndMaster. 5/5!

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago
Oh right, you did mention that the other day. Thanks!

One thing I find sort of amusing is how Death Song and Necromancer, epic as they are in scope are two of End's smaller fantasy stories. I mean the definitely can't stack up the the likes of Eternal and Rogues.

Yet a 50k IF game is like, mind boggling on the IFDB, they routinely get linear, non interactive Twine "games" uploaded that are less than a thousand words.

And somebody there is definitely taking notice since we had another wannabe troll stop by the forum this morning. Keep up the good work!

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago
Darn, i should've posted this tomorrow, so that I got my daily commendation points, augh, I missed 3....
EDIT: I just want to make it clear that this post was supposed to be a joke, just a light-hearted little statement, I wouldn't fuss over 3 points.

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago
Commended by mizal on 12/15/2020 4:00:32 PM

M

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago

You may be able to hide the truth, but you cannot change it.

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago

Ben's life as far as I can tell has been one of turmoil and strife. He's been mocked, embarassed by his baby mama who then eventually left him for a tranny. And he had some other issues after that.

But it's all been leading up to this moment. I myself shall usher him into the Gates of CYStia where he shall be Eternal. Awaited and Blessed.

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago
Commended by mizal on 12/14/2020 11:47:12 PM

Some reviews for Necromancer and Death Song, which link back to CYS since it's not against IFDB rules and might help give a little more attention. I rewrote these based on the CYS ones to talk more to the player and less to the author. 
Reviews

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago
I'm jealous of your dark mode, how does that work?

And I know you marked for spoilers, but if you could make that part actually hidden it'd be more in line with the standards over there.

Nice to see the IF outpost is shaping up even when I'm blatantly procrastinating on this whole thing.

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago

If you're logged into IFDB and you visit this link, you'll have dark mode: https://ifdb.tads.org/styles?set=5. Don't even have to do anything else. You can also go to ifdb.tads.org/styles directly and choose from others, but this dark mode theme is the most popular and reasonable enough. I posted a link to this two weeks ago on a discord discussion about adding dark modes to external sites for CYSCE, when I went looking out of curiosity.

Amended the reviews on IFDB to use spoiler syntax.

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago

Oh if someone could, add "2007" to Necromancer's date. All the rest of my stories have a date by them.

Eternal Reviewer

3 years ago
Just mentioning that I did this the other day so nobody else needs to worry about it.