Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Cats! They MUST be stacked!

3 years ago
A lot of spam in the discord has led to a discussion on more storygame categories so I made a thread to sift through the shit corgi and malk were throwing out. I also am going to give some opinions and feasible options.

First I would like to say that the most time-proof option, but also the most technologically difficult, is to have dynamic categories; defined by the top 10 or so most popular tags. This will probably never happen but it would allow for the use of tags to automatically sort games instead of hazy grey-area genres. It may also lead to many games being in many of these tag categories, which could be a problem.

Here's some category ideas thrown out. If I missed some, an admin can edit them in here:

• Family Friendly
  • Historical
  • Puzzles & Games
  • Science Fantasy
  • Pirates & Zombies

Additions:

Family Friendly looks like a great idea with only one significant member (malk) shooting it down for reasons of "it's retarded."

Historical doesn't really seem like it should be a category to me, but there's desire to split these games from edutainment by Mizal. In tandem with the Puzzles and Games category, this is sought after to lessen and eventually get rid of the Everything Else trash bin.

Puzzles and Games is a category that makes sense as currently gamey games go into either Mystery (which makes no sense) or Everything Else (which is garbage). This category will probably be dominated by Killa and BZ at first, but it would encourage those who may not be so story-savvy and possibly attract more of the parser crowd and other interactive fiction enthusiasts who don't necessarily want to read a novel.

Science Fantasy was suggested in order to break apart the hard science fiction from the lighter sci-fy storygames. It seems like a good idea.

Pirates and Zombies originally a requested pirate category from malk, it was realized that if one combines all the pirate and zombie games together they could easily form their own category. The argument for this one is to free up space for more featured games and greater diversity amongst the other categories.

Renames:

Mystery/Puzzle to Mystery/Thriller; this is a natural course of action as mysteries and puzzle games do not mix and a thriller genre is established in the real world as dealing hand in hand with mysteries. This alone would cause all puzzle games to be moved into Everything Else, which furthers the need for a Puzzles and Games category.

Dark Fantasy to Grimdark; it has come to the attention to many degenerates and non-degenerates alike that Dark Fantasy is a term used elsewhere to describe often taboo erotica. Grimdark is defined as having "tone, style, or setting that is particularly dystopian, amoral, or violent." which fits the idea behind the category better.

Fantasy Adventure and Sci-Fi Adventure to Fantasy and Sci-Fi; not everything needs to be an adventure. If combined with the creation of Science Fantasy apart from Science Fiction this distinction will be made even better.

Subtractions:

Everything Else; if we can fit every good game into all above mentioned categories it should empty out everything else - hopefully for good. But there will always be need for a misc category, so perhaps it should stay.

It's of note that I left out joke suggestions like a feet category, barely legal or other pedo categories, a category for retarded/disabled people, and a food based category. Malk had a good idea.

General discussion about categories without the fast-paced nature of the discord is what this thread is for.

3 years ago
Greetings forum plebs.

All decisions have already been made, move along.

3 years ago

How about a Young Writers category, for all of those legitimate younger writers as well as lower-effort or niche (Warrior Cat/My Little Pony etc.) type of stories, which are almost exclusively written by younger writers? It can recognize and encourage young writers who are starting out who make an effort and don't really have much of a chance to be featured in any other category, as well as quarantine less desirable submissions to one area.

I agree with your Puzzles and Games and Mystery/Thriller ideas; I think Historical should be renamed Historical Fiction, as a more recognizable genre title; I disagree with Family Friendly because I can't think of many good Family Friendly games on this site off of the top of my head that wouldn't better belong to another category (maybe Family Friendly would work better as a tag rather than a category [are games searchable by tags yet?]); I don't think Science Fantasy is distinct enough to need to be broken away from Sci Fi, and Pirates and Zombies are too disparate to form one category, FWIW.

3 years ago

It was already decided.

The following new categories: Puzzle/Game and Historical.

The following categories will be renamed: Mystery/Puzzle to Mystery/Thriller and Everything Else to Family Friendly.

Obviously there will be some story shuffling about.

3 years ago

Oh, ok. Cool. Sounds good.

3 years ago
Wow, there's a lot to unpack here! >>>How about a Young Writers category 1) There's no way to prove age, and it also seems like a meaningless 'honor' to be featured in the category for games that suck. >>>as well as lower-effort or niche 2) We don't want to feature low effort stories at all. And the fanfic category is already basically this, except for the Warrior Cats obviously which have been under a flat ban for six years and counting? That won't be changing. >>>It can recognize and encourage young writers who are starting out who make an effort 3) That happens on the forum and in the comments when it's deserved. We have people happy to help and give advice and all that, but the featured list (and really all published games) exist more for readers than writers honestly. Which is a dynamic I think a lot of people miss. Readers are the ones that decide what stories stay published, which also defeats the purpose of giving younger writers or 'undesireables' any kind of special category. >>>because I can't think of many good Family Friendly games on this site off of the top of my head that wouldn't better belong to another category 4) All the categories are deliberately pretty broad and vague. The author is the one that places their story and they'd only get moved in the case of a big reshuffling like this anyway, or if they're a wrong fit in a really obvious way. Fanfic being placed in other categories is the big one. But with the idea again that the stories are put there first and foremost for readers, Family Friendly is useful due to all the teachers bringing classes by, and all the free range kids roaming around. (so they can point to it tell their parents they're reading those and not Eternal.) Also, there's the autistic Mormons in their 30s and 40s who still browse the internet with profanity filters. Someone needs to think of them too. >>>(maybe Family Friendly would work better as a tag rather than a category 5) It already is a tag! >>>[are games searchable by tags yet?]) 6) If you're using the extension. Out of all these ideas the one to give a special category to bronies and Warrior Cat kids is the one that fascinates me the most. I can imagine just coming by six months later to take a peek in the vault, and they're all roleplaying in the comments sections and also they've bred uncontrollably and now there's hundreds of them.

Cats

3 years ago

Thanks for the consideration of the ideas. And more thanks for letting me know about the extension!

Cats

3 years ago
The extension is life. Dark mode and the improvements to storygame formatting are the only way the site is usable to me now.

Happily Killa and Nightwatch are looking into porting over some of the main features to the main site. Stuff like tag searching should've been standard years ago tbh but there wasn't really any interest from the person previously handling this stuff.

Cats

3 years ago
@ugilick Nightwatch said you need the extension for your Arabic btw. Check 'normalize HTML' in your profile once you have it. Also turn off that disgusting RTE while you're there, you'll need to use the plain text box.

Cats

3 years ago

Aye aye Captain,
This is good to know. Thank you.

The idea of practicing it by writing perked my interest, but my MSA is very weak. I mostly use a dialect that isn't used for writing. I am interested in using this knowledge for another purpose however.

The Extension became very popular during the years I was away. It's past time I step into the modern era it seems.

Cats

3 years ago

My experience on the site has been much more enjoyable with the extension now so far.

Could I also bother you for a request? Could you add the Previously Featured tag to my Warlords: Strategic Conquest story? I originally submitted the story to the Everything Else category, and it was soon featured in that category thereafter, but then the story was moved over to Fantasy Adventure, where it was no longer worthy of being featured, so it was unfeatured, and has been to this day.

Cats

3 years ago

Done.

Who knows, could get featured again when the new historical category is in place.

Cats

3 years ago

Thanks! That'd be great!

3 years ago

Do we even have any hard sci-fi games?

3 years ago
Everything by Bill?

3 years ago

I'm working on one!