Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

Does anyone else like to listen to music when they write?

If so, what songs, and why? (I could use some suggestions, but it might make a nice topic.)

Personally, I normally just put on a medley of catchy songs or anything that fits the tone of the story. Though, actually ... I have been known to write angst or gore while listening to something upbeat and overly cheery. I think my subconscious (the only part of me still listening after the first couple songs) appreciates the contrast. :P 

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

I listen to Muse when I write. They're kind of cool. 

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

Woo.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

Ludovico Einaudi.  Everyteim

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

Normally Bon Iver, I feel calm and motivated to write.

Anything by Hans Zimmer for maximum epicness.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

Pachabel's Canon in D is pretty good for concentration.

I have some other songs I listen to when I write, but they hold sentimental value to me more than anything else. So, it is likely that you won't feel the same towards them that I do.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

*Pachelbel's Canon

Music, anyone?

9 years ago
Yes, sorry.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

I'm gonna try this...

Music, anyone?

9 years ago
Huh, I think I've listened to that before.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

I tried "white noise" earlier, and it just irritated me.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago
You could try "mother's heartbeat". It works wonders for babies.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

Too rhythmic.  It slows down my typing speed.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago
"Heartbeat of a mother being chased by large predatory cats"?

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

You got a link?  :)

Music, anyone?

9 years ago
I'll make one...after I make the audio clip. XD

Now, where did I put that wild cougar?

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

I can't read/write/sleep if there are any distractions.  TV, music, someone talking, traffic, anything...

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

really sad stuff. kinda strange

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

I listen to Disney music.... Don't judge it's my childhood!

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

While writing for fun, like CYS, I usually just listen to the radio. For assignments and such I usually listen to classical music (Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky, etc.) or movie soundtracks (LotR, mostly)

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

I listen to a lot of movie soundtracks, usually from scenes similar to what I'm writing at any particular moment.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago
I used to listen to music when I wrote, but I have not done that for years now. It seems I can only write nowadays with complete silence, so I can completely dive into the world.

I have heard others complain that music influences what they write too much; they steal bits of lyrics without realizing it. However, I did have a friend who did all his work while listening to instrumental music, mostly classical.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

Steal lyrics? I have ... literally never done that in my work, and I listen to music while writing all the time. That's interesting, though.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

It technically is possible that a writer unintentionally plagiarizes part of a song as part of his/her own work. The human mind sometimes has the tendency to remember things you can't actively remember, but stored somewhere subconsciously, and act as if it came up with it itself. It's a phenomenon called 'cryptomnesia', and is especially a problem with determining plagiarism in, for example, academic works. 

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

I've heard of it before. Hell, even Spongebob fans have heard of it... it's just weird to think about, especially since I probably should've experienced it myself, but I haven't. That said, I do listen to plenty of stuff in other languages, random white noise, lyric-free songs ... exc.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago
Not a whole line or anything, but a piece of phrasing - sometimes just a word or a shift in tone. I imagine it's an entirely subliminal thing.

I do use music to get pumped up sometimes before I write. In the mornings, I usually don't need any extra motivation, and I can dive in right away (so long as I have my coffee.) But later in the day, I'll listen to something with a really up-tempo bouncy feel to spark me up and get me excited before I get started.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

Yeah, at this point I need something to energize me. I've been at this all day. Literally, all day.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago
I'm in the same boat. I was at it for about six hours, stopped to send an email and have a beer, and now I'm just piddling around.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

Surreal nonsense lyrics can be pretty inspiring. In the Writing Exercises thread, I pulled Limbo out of my ass when listening to Clutch's song Dragonfly. Gypsies dropping their skin under the wide oak tree seemed to strike quite a chord.

Speaking of Clutch, Regulator has pulled me through a lot of previously writer's blocked work recently.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

Queen. Their stuff in the nineties is shit, but anything by them from when they started to 1985 is worth listening to.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

Sometimes silence cuts it for me, but otherwise, yeah...mostly without lyrics though, as I tend to find those distracting...usually I'm going for an emotion/vibe. For inspiration though, I find Bob Dylan, Tom Waits and Nick Cave good to listen to, to name a few. Anyway:

Epic

Led Zep epicness

IT DOESN'T GET MORE EPIC THAN THIS

Bit more epicness there

Uhhh...more epicness?

Ok, there's just too much epicness around here!

Fine. You want some fries with that epicness?

Ok..ok..no more epicness...after this song :p

Sad

Saaad

Always makes me sad...

More sadness with nostalgia and wistfulness all mixed up in there

Surprise! More epicness...

Dark

Even darker (yep, that scene)

Bittersweet..happy but kind of sad...but ultimately happy. Idk :P

If I just need to concentrate/'get in the zone' though, classical (Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart, Mahler and Tchaikovsky..) and jazz (Herbie Hancock, Clifford Brown, Chet Baker, Eric Dolphy, Miles Davis..)  music is the thing. The Shadows and The Cinematic Orchestra are also great for that, though I tend use the latter for mood/emotion more than concentration.

And it depends on what I'm writing too...if I'm writing an apocalyptic story, I tend to alternate between this and that. Right now, I'm writing an epic Tintin fanfic, so...yeah...:)

Not sure if you even wanted all that, but...you've got it now lol.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

i don't know

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

How, exactly, would you not know whether or not you listen to music?

Do you commonly have out of body experiences while writing?

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

Hollywood Undead. They have a song for any mood that I'm trying to recreate.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

They're pretty good.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

Hahaha. I was there once. Don't worry, you'll grow out of it in time.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

2 sounding sad songs for depressing scenes. 

uppity song telling you that falling is not failing, but not trying is. ~Writers block~

You gotta cross that line! Run like you have the cops on your tail! ~Action~

One girl revolution! ~Action~

MOSTER! Ahhhhhh! ~Action~

So na na na na na, you're not listening to me anyway. ~Annoying~

All princes start as frog, and all gentlemen as dogs... XD  ~Funny~

You need that boy like a bowling ball, dropped on your head, which means not at all....XD ~Jerk Break ups~

A damsel in distress. ~Action/call to action~

I'm awake, I'm alive. (many flashy lights) ~Action~

Do robots dream of electric sheep? ~Action~

I don't want to live without you. ~Drama~

Very loud whispers in the dark. ~Action - again~

Slightly religious, sorry. ~Tension~

another song,

We As Human

Here's yet another song

another one. Anything by Veridia is good

And another. Capital Kings is good. This ones a bit funny in the choice of wording.

Kutless is good too

Several of my other favorite song authors.

Manic Drive, La Cray, Need To Breath, Shonlock, KJ 52, four kings and country, OBB, family force 5, Shine bright baby, plumb, Lincoln Brewster, Remody Drive, Royal tailor, Press play-#lito, Tenth avenue north, along with the ones I mentioned before.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

*chuckles* I've heard nearly all of those before. I used to listen to Superchick a lot when I was young, my little sister and mother really liked their songs. I still listen to Skillet and We As Human, and Kutless ... xD I find it odd that you're apologizing for one religious one, though. Nearly all of your direct links are to Christian band songs. Actually, *squints* no, I was wrong, they all are.

Religious or not, they're good bands, period.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

Most don't directly mention god or christianity. Only that one Barlow Girls song directly mentions that.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

"Hero" (the Skillet version) does, actually. So does "Awake and Alive." "What faith can do" is also pretty obvious. :P As I said, they're good songs. It's obvious what they all mean, but I know more than one atheist / agnostic who likes these bands regardless. 

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

They do? Must have missed that. >_<

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

I just put on an OST playlist with a mood that I think fits the story I'm trying to write. Hopefully I'll write in a similar style throughout that way. Most of the songs often aren't that amazing to listen to otherwise, but that's a good thing because it means it's not too distracting to listen to while you write. It's a good tip that I picked up from a writing YouTuber.

I don't know if this one counts as listening to while I'm writing, but some of my inspirations for characters, and in particular their appearances and their names, have been derived from musicians. I also intend to put in references to song lyrics in future storygames.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

80s epic doom metal.  Especially Scandinavian bands.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

Recently got into Scott Walker's new avant-garde stuff. Really bizarre but also really great.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

The governor of Wisconsin?

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

I knew somebody would make that joke.

But no. XD (Different Scott Walker)

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

. . . Okay . . . googled what I think is the correct Scott Walker. . . got a song that started out like Bing Crosby, then shifted into Donald Duck.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

The Escape is great. The whole album of Drift is wacky though (Jolson and Jones being by far the most unnerving due to a similar thing used in the end of it) and it's hard getting through it all.

Probably the best of his later stuff is Farmer in the City. Much more beautiful sounding than the other ones but maintains the eeriness.
Or you could look into his really early stuff which is really amazing ('The sun ain't gonna rise anymore') but kinda typical-60s music overall.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

I'm listening to the Hawaii five 0 theme, it's my jam!

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

Who says there's a contrast? Remember, you can't steal somebody's kidney without "Hip to be Square" playing in the background.

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

I've been listening to Nasheeds recently. Some are perhaps more controversial than others though

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

i listen to Nightcore or any song i feel in the mood for for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2ndwSEa7JQ

the five nights at freddies theme song Nightcore remix

Music, anyone?

9 years ago

Usually Linkin Park but I oft diversify my music to whatever's good, I'm pretty free-form.

From right now... Linkin Park in most scenes, Tove Lo in slow/romantic scenes, Skillet for battle scenes (still have yet to reach one... :'( ), and EDM for fast-paced scenes.