Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

I'm going through something very scary right now. My best friend that I've known for a huge portion of my life....he's talking to me about suicide. He's started to talk in a crazy way I've never heard talk like him before. I'm trying to reassure him that I'm there for him, but he keeps on insisting that no one likes him and that the only way to make him happy is to kill himself. He's moved away from me ages ago, and from what he's told me is that he's an outcast at his new school. I don't know how to help him. Please, help me.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Tell him killing himself is not going to solve anything.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

I can't say something like that because I'm scared that he'll finally break. 

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Sorry to say, the ultimate choice is up to him. He can choose to eat the big one, or pull through. There's not much you can do but be there by his side.

Urgent Help

7 years ago
Zag you're a fucking moron and I hope you're never in a position to give advice.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

What would you suggest?

Urgent Help

7 years ago
Obviously he should talk to a school counsellor, instead of taking advice from a collection of inbred shits who were accidentally strangled in the womb.

Mason, this is serious. Don't take advice from CYS.

EDIT: And MinnieKing has chimed in with its absolutely fucktarded opinion. No, don't call the cops on your depressed friend either.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

The cops can stop him from commiting suicide, and help get him counseling or something to help him. By the way it's Mr. It to you.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Okay, you got me there. Zag obviously isn't a school counselor, and shouldn't tell people suicide is an bad idea.

Urgent Help

7 years ago
tell him to kill himself and see what happens. I did that once and I'm pretty sure the guy OD'd on pills - but he survived and is in a mental hospital now. So, test his luck. If he lives, he lives. If he dies, he dies. Whatever way it turns out is perhaps meant to be.

Personally, when I was suicidal some time ago - I flipped a coin to decide if I live or die. Here I am - alive as far as I can tell. Perhaps you should suggest leaving the hard decisions up to fate like I do, it usually works out for lucky people like me.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

???? ????????edgy shit edgY sHit ??thats ??some edgy???? shit right ??th?? ere?????? right there ????if i do??a? so?my self ??i say so ?? thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ????? ?????) mMMMM???? ???????O0??OOOOO???Oooo??????????????? ?? ???? ???? Edgy shit

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Ford will be Ford.

Urgent Help

7 years ago
I can't afford to be me.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Be there to listen, talk to a councler, honestly this is not the best place to be asking.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Call 911. Fast, he could kill himself any second. 

Urgent Help

7 years ago

DO NOT DO THIS

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Under any circumstances do not call 911.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

The police can stop him from killing himself and help him by getting him counseling or something to assure him that he's not a bad person.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

No, that's just going to cause panic and possibly suicide via cop.

A friend is needed to calm the person down,not a sharp voice with a gun

Urgent Help

7 years ago

What else can he fucking do? His friend lives a distance away and is talking about suicide, and he has no way of reasoning with him.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

He can't do much, and calling the police probably won't help.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

If your honestly going to say."Fuck it I'm can't calm you down let's hope the police kicking down your will make you any less panicked or deppressed." Is the best possible solution then ok

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Well he could try reasoning even though that's getting nowere. Or he could just see what happens.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Or we could go with Malk's idea. Tell him to go to his school counselor. 

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Yeah, probably the best option.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Or a regular one.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Nah, they actually know their shit and might send him to a mental ward, not someplace you want to be.

And they're expensive as fuck.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Or y'know go to the school one, as his friend is required to go to school.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

So calling the police will make him not feel like an bad person? People often call the police to deal with criminals.You are deploying people who deal with criminals, to deal with Mason's friend. I'm sure they'll make him feel really good.

I don't understand your reasoning.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

The police aren't just meant for criminals. Who else could he call? Other then that I don't reallt see any other way other then just seeing what happens.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Because you're an idiot.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Thank you. I try very hard to be idiotic.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

As I have established, he can only talk to his friend, and hope he isn't too far gone.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

I have several family members who're in the police force, and they all agree that calling the cops for someone considering suicide is a bad idea and you should only use it as the very last resort. 

Urgent Help

7 years ago
itt do nothing

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Holy shit, kids these days panic so much. Just fucking talk to them, this has happened to me l3 times and I wasn't an idiot.

Urgent Help

7 years ago
mason when you talk to him be sure to mention under your breath "...tbh nothing of value would be lost..."

be subtle about it. post results.

Urgent Help

7 years ago
1) This is NOT the best place to ask.
2) There should be some US version of Lifeline Australia which you can call 24hr to prevent suicide and help with other crises. Try looking up one of those.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

It's fine that you're asking here, but there are so many far better places on the web for this sort of advice.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Yeah, Malk's probably right, trust no one on here's advice, trust no one on the internet's response, advise him to talk to his school councilor. I'd say realistically this is probably more a call for help than anything, although this obviously isn't the kind of time to be making assumptions. Try calm him down short term obviously if he's saying he's going to kill himself now, but long term quite frankly you're not capable of dealing with it by yourself and trying to would only cause your mental health to suffer rather than help him out.

Urgent Help

7 years ago
Sounds like he just wants attention. Could suggest he get home schooled if school really is the issue.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Didn’t Drak call 911 the last time someone said they were going to commit suicide on here?

Urgent Help

7 years ago
Yeah I think so. He alerted the local authorities at least.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

While I know this site isn't the best place and I really was panicking last night, I talked to the suicide hotline asking for help but gave no info about my friend. I asked him through a call to talk to me today. He kept telling me to not freak out. For now I think it's okay... I've already given him support and believe he has to work out the rest himself. Just thought you guys would want to know...

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Phew. Glad something positive is happening, because I had nothing helpful to say.

Urgent Help

7 years ago
Mason, I'm glad CYS didn't kill your friend. Some horrifically bad 'advice' in this thread, wow.

It sounds now like your friend was just depressed and needing attention but of course you had no way of knowing that for sure. I realize you must've been freaking out but please please please do not ever come to a site like this looking for serious advice about absolutely anything.

Steve had the most sensible response and it's a very good thing you ignored the gibbering of the short bus brigade and called the suicide hotline people. Keep the number handy in case this becomes a recurring thing, though ideally you'd be able to convince your friend to talk to them, or a school counselor like Malk recommended.

Urgent Help

7 years ago
I recommend telling his parents what he told/expressed to you the other night. Understand that he may consider this a violation of trust and that you don't want to betray your friend, but if he was truly considering hurting himself, his parents need to know and are in the best position to help him in the long term.

Urgent Help

7 years ago
I was considering this too, because yeah, chances are good the kid's not going to appreciate it all, but they have a right to know and are in a better position to help or at least watch for signs of things getting worse. And honestly, this should be more their responsibility than Mason's--especially if it becomes a recurring thing, which I suspect it might.

Granted, there are some amazingly shitty parents in the world...

Urgent Help

7 years ago
If that's the case he definitely just wanted attention. I wouldn't worry about it much more.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Or he's suicidal and doesn't want anyone stopping him, so he's convincing Mason he's okay.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

If that was the case, he wouldn't have told Mason he was going to kill himself in the first place.

Urgent Help

7 years ago
Exactly lol. People who actually want to kill themselves don't tell others, they just do it.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Or, he wanted to be heard, because he wasn't sure.

He may have wanted help, but because of feeling like a waste of resources/drain on those around him he thinks that he's doesn't deserve it.

Of course, this is all hearsay, but if someone is suicidal to assume that they "just wanted attention" is very dangerous.

Source

Source 2

Urgent Help

7 years ago
I know that's often the case, but it's a risky assumption to make. And either way the dude is deeply unhappy and it's not something a long time friend would be able to handwave away with a lol. Though Mason having that kind of stress and responsibility dumped on him isn't cool either, which is why parents and counselors are the safest way to go.

Urgent Help

7 years ago

Exactly. You said it better than I can.

Urgent Help

7 years ago
I mean, no one said to ignore him or encourage him to do it. Except ford, but ford is a dumbass.

Saying he's doing it for attention doesn't mean you ignore him. You're supposed to be friends after all. If your friend is upset you try to cheer them up.