Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Dark Elves

9 years ago

Well considering this is probably going to get deleted anyway...

EndMaster: Basically if you wanted to do a Holocaust type "game", you'd probably be better off avoiding direct history and do it in fantasy setting format. All the Nazis are substituted for dark elves and all the oppressed groups become gnomes, fairies, halflings, etc.

Presto, you've got your non-offensive Holocaust game with magic spells.

SomeCoG Tranny: No, EndMaster, just no. Replacing something with pointy-eared people isn't going to disguise the fact that you're referencing the holocaust and what it will amount to is appropriation.

Also, Nazis = Dark Elves. Really? Because black = evil?

EndMaster: Right, I obviously said Dark Elves because I was somehow comparing black people to Nazis. That doesn't even make sense. I'm not really surprised by the accusations though.

Anyway I used them because typically not only are they usually villains they're also pretty racist and sadistic in various fantasy stories and they'd be a better substitute as a fantasy "Nazi" than say orcs (Who probably wouldn't bother with the prison camp and just kill everyone on the spot)

But what I was mainly referring to the possibility of creating a CYOA about the horrors of a prison camp while attempting to avoid the more sensitive issues of the real world. There have been tons of fantasy and scifi stories which have based certain events on the real world and they are still considered viable forms "entertainment" and not educational.
I'm thinking of one example in particular which was a children's cartoon on saturday mornings called Exosquad which pretty much had the Neo-Sapiens rounding humans up and putting them in extermination camps, Nazi style. Wasn't really trying to be educational, it was attempting to be entertaining.

Now obviously some people are always going to find the subject matter offensive no matter what skin the tale is wearing and that's their right, but I was coming up with a possible solution of attempting to do such a story if someone really wanted to attempt it.

Dark Elves

9 years ago

I <3 u

Dark Elves

9 years ago

What would that make elves in comparison?

Dark Elves

9 years ago

Hey this got saved from the latest Chowhall purge I see.

Anyway to answer Swift's question, I didn't really think about it. Like I mentioned in the original post, I was just using dark elves as an example for the purposes of a holocaust story.

I guess the "regular elves" could be the English (And obviously the Scottish will be Dwarves as usual)

As for the rest:

Gnomes- Jews
Halflings- Gypsies
Fairies- Homosexuals
Orcs- Russians
Some sort of frog race- French
Humans- Americans

Of course Art Spielgelmen already did a regular Holocaust story using animals. I think polish people complained they were portrayed as pigs. Lol.

Dark Elves

9 years ago

XD Frog Frenchies for the win. XD 

Dark Elves

9 years ago

The worst thing is that I'd be completely okay with this if it was written well haha.

Dark Elves

9 years ago

Well he did write this sort of in the True Eternal path. :p

Dark Elves

9 years ago

nmelssx had a frog race thing for his profile pic a while ago. Can't remember what it was called. Something that started with an 'M' I think...............

@nmelssx

Dark Elves

9 years ago

The Slann, the Slaad and Bullywugs are the first three types of fantasy frog races that come to mind.

I sort of had one in Eternal by the name of the Glip.

Of course there are always these guys…

photo Frog_zps80219e41.jpg

Dark Elves

9 years ago

XD I don't think that would work out so well with dark elves. 

Dark Elves

9 years ago

I will always love your photobucket username. XD

Dark Elves

9 years ago

"Photomaster" was already taken apparently.

Dark Elves

9 years ago

Phototyrant is 100% better

Dark Elves

9 years ago
Fuck yeah Sgt. Frog! one of the first anime series I ever watched and I loved every bit of it's slap-stick comedy :D

Dark Elves

9 years ago

"Do a barrel roll!"

Dark Elves

9 years ago

I have some Sgt. Frog Manga :p

Dark Elves

9 years ago

I agree with almost all of those, except for the French. The French aren't that dissimilar from the English and Americans, yet Frogmen are vastly different from Elves and Humans. So, while it is a funny dig against the French, I personally don't think it would make a good allegory in a more serious game.

Dark Elves

9 years ago

"The French aren't that dissimilar from the English and Americans"

That statement is probably WAY more insulting to the average french citizen than the frog thing. Lol.

Well, we could make the French Wood elves, but I see those being more Canadian.

Dark Elves

9 years ago

Well, they aren't. The cultural differences between England and France appear to be minute when compared to the differences between other European nations and France. Still, I think France would be better as another group of humans. You don't have to limit yourself to one human faction. I've seen some fantasy settings that have managed to have two major human factions (kinda like the high and dark elf thing) and turn out alright. Here's what I think.

England- Older, more imperialistic human faction.

America- Younger, more merchant based human faction.

France- High Elves

Canada- Wood Elves

That's just an idea however. I don't mean to seem rude.

Dark Elves

9 years ago

France was too sucky in ww2 to be the high elves.

What about Russia?

Dark Elves

9 years ago

Anyway, I see Canadians as closer to the English than French. (Other than Quebec).

Dark Elves

9 years ago

Well...hmm...I didn't think about that.

Dark Elves

9 years ago

Throwing all political correctness out the window right now, because there's no way to map fantasy races onto real world countries in a politically unoffensive way XD

If Americans are humans, wouldn't Canadians be closer to that than whatever the French are? I agree with James' point that frogmen kinda hurt the suspension of disbelief for a serious fantasy analogy to WWII.

Also, where are the Asians? Can we be goblins? :D

Dark Elves

9 years ago

Asians are obviously some sort of insect race. Japanese can be some sort of flying based insect, Chinese can be antlike I guess.

Dark Elves

9 years ago

That's so fitting in more ways than I can possibly begin to elaborate on XD

Dark Elves

9 years ago

Umm...you are aware Quiller's Asian, right?

Edit: Nevermind. Carry on.

Dark Elves

9 years ago
Like the Xi Hive? :D

Dark Elves

9 years ago

Works for me. There's also the Formians from D&D.

Dark Elves

9 years ago

Yay, Nazis Dark elves for the win, kill all the Jews Gnomes!

Dark Elves

9 years ago

This ScarletGeisha idiot sounds like a real gem. Is she a mod?

She sounds like some fricking idiot who obviously DOESN'T belong to a minority, and is completely butthurt. 

Dark Elves

9 years ago

Lol, you went and searched for the thread? (+5 to stalking skill)

As for SG, no she's not a mod, I don't think she's even there anymore. It's been a very long time since she posted.

But yeah she pretty much jumped down everyone's throat over the most minor of things.

Dark Elves

9 years ago

I did more than search for the thread! I also read your rant on Infinite Story. (+10 to stalking skill) 

Great googly moogly. That's the part of the Internet that pisses me off. One moderate person, of presumably average or higher intelligence says something, and the other who (usually) knows FA about it, begins to blabber. 

This happens at an alarming rate. xD 

Dark Elves

9 years ago

lol It's infinite story, the place where Endmaster came from. What did you expect it to be like? Rainbows and Sunshine? ^.^

*Sarcasm*

Dark Elves

9 years ago

I expected chaos and anarchy, but I have grown to expect that, just from interacting with EndMaster

Dark Elves

9 years ago

I thought he came from Detroit. Not that that's any better.

Dark Elves

9 years ago

Watch It All

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/newsreaders/gay-camp