Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Tentative Thoughts About the New Doctor

9 years ago

Whaddya y'all think of Peter Capaldi? I personally think  he's an absolutely BRILLIANT doctor. I like Matt Smith and Tenant's doctor as well. 

Who is YOUR favorite doctor? Yes you, in the seat over there. Let's hear YOUR thoughts! Thoughts about the new doctor, about the old one... 

Favorite quotes? Anything related to Doctor Who. 

I know we have some Whovians here SOMEWHERE! 

9 years ago

Christopher Eccleston, all the way.

9 years ago

I liked Matt Smith, I was a bit sad to see him go. He would've made a great Point-and-Click adventure game protagonist, but sadly all the DW games seem to be either really shit money grabs, geared toward children, or Google Doodles. And Point-and-Clicks are only ever made by Indies anymore anyway.

Demeaning Thoughts About Your Use of Vocab

9 years ago

I don't see that hesitation in the title.

So, what MIGHT go wrong with this doctor, if you do mind me asking?

Condemning Thoughts About Swiftstryker's Rudeness

9 years ago

He meant that, while Capaldi is turning out fairly well, he wants to know what other people think about him and that he might change his opinion accordingly. It seemed to be quite self-explanatory.

9 years ago

ten·ta·tive

'tent?tiv/

adjective

1. not certain or fixed; provisional.

"a tentative conclusion"

synonyms: provisional, unconfirmed, penciled in, iffypreliminary, to be confirmed,subject to confirmation; More

He wants us to share our opinions because his aren't well-rooted and are subect to change. Probably. 

9 years ago

Well, I'm still curious to know : what COULD go wrong with a new Doctor?

Edit : What COULD go wrong with the supposedly last Doctor?

9 years ago

Oh, y'know, the whole idea that he could be the last Doctor. Every time the fans struggle through the five stages of grief when a doctor dies, they have to suffer it all over again tenfold when the doctor dies for the last time. That's what's happening. The Doctor WILL END. That's what's going to go wrong!...

I guess it's better to leave when the audience begging you not to than it is to leave after the audience has started booing and vomiting drunkenly, though.

9 years ago

They aren't going to kill him. They're going to pull a last minute Deus Ex Machina, so that they can continue the story.

9 years ago

I think I should sit down and watch the series at some point... there's just so much of it, and I have it on good authority that it's pretty uneven. But even so, it's clearly one of those things no self-respecting geek should miss. ^_^

9 years ago

I think you should start from the VERY beginning. The first doctor all the way to this one. :p

9 years ago

Wouldn't it be technically impossible to watch through everything that way? I heard a lot of episodes got destroyed due to some policy that allowed old footage to get taped over.

9 years ago
Are there any particular episodes of Doctor Who that are especially good? Because I watch the odd episode and wonder what all the fuss is about because I don't think it's all that good. I get the impression that with all the director and cast changes that some episodes are inevitably going to be better than others.

9 years ago

All the stuff with the Weeping Angels.

(Okay, maybe I just find the concept of them really funny)

When I was a kid I remember watching most of the older stuff with the 4th doctor (And some of the 3rd and 5th) never really saw the 1st or 2nd doc except in the movies they made. So for a long time I still liked the 4th doc the best.

Didn't see the 6th, 7th or 8th at all. I'm always hearing bad things about the 6th doc, the 7th seems to get mixed reviews. The 8th was only in one movie.

Wasn't really until decades later when my wife got interested in Doctor Who that I started watching them again through Amazon.

Started with the 9th doc, but she didn't really like him (And I didn't care one way or another) so we didn't really watch a lot of his episodes and for a long time she never went back to it until she randomly decided to give the show another chance.

Didn't mind the 10th doc who I know everyone seems to like, but I couldn't stand his companions (Rose…ugh) so that actually made him less enjoyable to watch.

I liked the 11th doc though and he probably became my favorite along with the 4th.

Haven't seen the 12th doc episodes.

9 years ago

Really? I thought Rose was alright. Martha Jones though...

The weeping angels were great villains, they just reused them too much :P

9 years ago

Martha sucked too, but she wasn't around as much as Rose who was annoying since the 9th doctor.

9 years ago

1st was good. Pretty witty.

2nd was fat and liked playing the flute for some reason.

3rd was...odd, but I liked the fact that he actually fought sometimes and used aikido.

4th was a favorite of my dad. Not to mention, Baker really rocked the scarf. I love the part in pyramids of Mars, where he uses it to choke some guy.

I've never seen the 5th

I've never seen the 6th

7th was pretty cool in the fact that he usually talked his enemies into taking their own lives.

I've never seen the 8th

9th was the first Doctor I'd ever seen. I liked him, if only because he was one of the darker doctors.

10th was hilarious.

11th seemed to try to copy 10 a lot. When he wasn't doing that, he was trying to act badass, which, with his pacifistic nature, usually fell flat.

Haven't seen the 12th.

9 years ago

I have only watched a couple of the tenth, but I didn't find him ALL that similar to Matt Smith. A lot less dark.  

9 years ago

The Doctor: What's an Osterhagen Key?!
Martha: There's a chain of twenty-five nuclear warheads. Placed in strategic points beneath the Earth's crust. If I use the key, they detonate and the Earth gets ripped apart.
The Doctor: What?! Who invented that— well, someone called Osterhagen, I suppose. Martha, are you insane?!

9 years ago

The first weeping angels episode was amazing. Every single one afterwards is garbage comparatively. 

The 8th movie really wasn't that bad. 

Tenent was really good in the begining, but kinda sucked when he got all emo and shit. 

Matt smith was, again, great in the begining, but bad later. 

I think I've given my opinion of the 12th already. XD

Huge fan of the 4th. 6th was great though. 5th was also pretty good. 

9 years ago

http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt0436992 has the imdb ratings for all the episodes, which can give a general idea of which are most popular. But Doctor Who is one of those shows where people watch it for very different reasons, so someone watching it as a drama might love "The Girl in the Fireplace" while someone watching it as a comedy might prefer "The Eleventh Hour" or a horror fan would like "Midnight". Most people seem to like "Blink" from what I understand. And that's without going into classic Who.

9 years ago

I think Capaldi is one of them actors that is perfect for the doctor. You can also see some of Tucker in the 12th doctor, most notably when he replied to Clara's suggestion that she is his carer by saying "yeah she's my carer, she cares so I don't have to."  That sounds like a trademark tucker line.....obviously one of the less expletive ridden lines.

9 years ago

Who's Tucker?

9 years ago

The main character of The Thick of It, played by Capaldi.

9 years ago

My favorite doctor was the previous one. I can't remember the actors name though.

9 years ago

Matt Smith.

9 years ago
@Malkalack

You only like the new guy because his name sounds like capy.

9 years ago

Maaaaaaaybe... 

9 years ago

I think Capaldi would make a fine doctor if only his costars were half decent. Vastra is horrible, the impossible girl is impossibly annoying, and the writing focuses too much on lesbianism for no reason. The series is supposed to be deep sci-fi, not political horror.

Tom Baker's a family favorite, but Christopher Eccleston brought me into the series, so he's pretty great.

Matt Smith was... Alright. David tennat was good early on, then it got kinda recycled material-wise.

9 years ago

Capaldi's awesome, and I like the fact that we FINALLY have a Scottish doctor. I also thought the flirting was creepy, between the Doctor and Clara, and I am GLAD Capaldi put a stop to it. 

Tom Baker is awesome. Just. Freaking. Awesome. 

9 years ago

David Tennent is Scottish.

9 years ago

Oh? I didn't know.

9 years ago

9 years ago

That is all.

9 years ago

David Tenants my favourite. My friend prefers Matt Smith, though. Ah, we have a few heated discussions about that.

9 years ago

9 years ago

Doctor Who SUCKS!!!

*Drives off on a motorcycle into the blazing sunset*

9 years ago

*shoots Chris with a shotgun* Nobody insults *reloads shotgun* the doctor.

9 years ago

*urinates on Chris' corpse*