Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Clowning, Crazy, Drugged, Possessed or Pursued?

8 years ago

Ok, a modern day mystery for you all

I'm researching for a good modern-day murder mystery to write about and stumbled across the case of Elisa Lam.

In 2013 she vanished from the hotel she was staying in and a few weeks later her decomposing body was found marinating in the hotel's water supply. The last sighting of her alive was by a surveillance camera in an elevator where she is behaving increasingly bizarrely, helpfully enough the video is on youtube (just type in Elisa Lam). People have put all sorts of theories on her odd behavior blaming her bipolar disorder, suggesting she'd taken ecstasy or a similar drug, had been possessed by demons or was trying to escape from someone who was chasing her. Some people are even suggesting the tape's been doctored by the LAPD.

I've got a few thoughts of my own but I was wondering what you guys think?

This death is interesting because it's still unsolved (officially it's an accident but murder or suicide seem just as likely, not least because the water containers are eight feet tall with no access and very difficult to close from the inside), it happened in a creepy hotel with a history of murders, murderers and suicides and it's a lot like the film Dark Water where the residents of a new house are haunted by the ghost of a girl who drowned in the house's water supply. The vid's on Youtube, if you have 3 minutes to spare I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

8 years ago

Some of us had some theories about this before in this thread.

http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/the-lounge/message/10767

8 years ago

Ah thanks, I was interested in finding out people's opinions, good memory to remember this :D

8 years ago
Just read that and some of the links. Seems like there are a lot of different theories and everyone thinks something else. Illuminati, government, aliens, other secret-but-not-anymore organisations, American GIs in Korea, exchange students, bad video quality, shadows, possession, and most call bullshit. Either way, I can't pull a straight line on this, but it's definitely really creepy.

8 years ago
The nice thing about writing is that you can make anything fit! I like the idea of demon possession or a CIA drug experiment gone wrong (with people trying to bring her back to the CIA lab).

8 years ago

That's creepy as fuck.  My "theory" is that she was high/drunk/mentally ill and killed herself. 

Also, Dark Water was really good. 

8 years ago

"When you play the Game of Elevators, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

http://sayainunderworld.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-to-go-to-another-world-by-using.html

8 years ago

She's from my University!

8 years ago

Sorry to hear, 3J. Did you ever get a chance to speak with her?

8 years ago

Nah. 35000 students so chances are I've never even seen her in person.

8 years ago

You're Canadian?!

8 years ago

:P Lots of people are, you know. (I only know about four of them, but still.)

8 years ago

Oh, I remember that video. Honestly, I think she was on drugs, but no one can tell for sure. To add, I think it'll make an interesting story.

8 years ago

The problem with being drugged / high is that there was NO WAY she could have gotten into the tank by herself, much less even gotten into the room where it was!

Plus, there was nothing in the autopsy that implied such things.

#2Spooky

Maybe she was doing some creepy ritual? (Coins brought up the elevator game)

8 years ago

*Puts on tinfoil hat* aliens work for the government took her. 

8 years ago

Don't be ridiculous! Everyone knows it's the other way around! The government works for the aliens!

8 years ago

*mind blown*

8 years ago

I mean really now, if the aliens are a part of a civilization with the technology to travel across the necessary distances to Earth, what do they have to gain from being lackeys?

8 years ago

If aliens were working with the government, I'd imagine it'd be more of an agreement.

Something like give us your tech / we experiment on your species type thing.

Which would explain Area 51 and abduction stories.

Perhaps something happened between the two parties in the 60s leading to aliens leaving Earth (less stories / paranoia)

8 years ago

That...makes...sense! *A scrap of tinfoil falls from the lining of helmet*

8 years ago

I'm sort of wondering where the "Clowning" part of this would be. The other four are all up for various theories, but clowning seems a bit whimsical given that she died.

Unless you're proposing she was killed by clowns (the supernatural kind or not) which I guess is just as good as any explanation to this mystery as any.

8 years ago

Thanks for all your views guys, I can see the imaginative ones are the most appealing. This thing really puzzled me for a while but after watching the video about twenty times I'm going to take a stab about what Elisa was thinking in the lift and right before she died. I like this puzzle because it’s a great mystery, we’ll probably never know the answer and any possibility could be the correct one but this is what I think she was thinking:

“Crap, I’m having a shit day, I’ve lost my phone so I can’t call my family back in Canada so they’ll worry and now I have to walk up loads of stairs cause the sodding lifts don’t work. I know this lift is not going to work but I’ll go in and press all the floor buttons anyway (waits a few seconds). Knew it. Ah I’m stressed. Ok, let’s play spies, anyone around? (quickly glances out the lift door both ways). Nope. Ok I’m gonna hide in the corner.

“Hm, I heard a sound, is someone coming like a hotel worker who could fix this damn thing (stands in doorway looking out)? Nope, let’s keep playing spies, jump out the lift, take one step left, back in, back out and left again. Ah, so stressed (leans against wall). I just didn’t need this today and now I’ve got a headache (puts both hands on head for a few seconds). Argh, alright screw this thing, I’ll come back in and press all the buttons again and again and again (presses all floor buttons three times), and screw you stupid lift (walks out of lift without waiting, straightening hair behind ears as she goes in an unconscious effort to calm down).

“Alright this is what I’ll say to them, hi there (mimes waving), this lift isn’t working it doesn’t go down and it doesn’t go up, I’ve complained to your staff so many times but they don’t help at all (waves hands wildly in anger). All I want is one thing (holds up index finger to indicate one and twists it in frustration) and you jerks can’t even fix that for me so screw you (sticks up middle finger and twists that angrily too). Fine, I’ll take the damn stairs.”

A possible follow-up way of her thinking that led to her death once she gets to her hotel room, even more frustrated from having to walk up a load of stairs, is:

“Alright I’m back in my room, hot and pissed off. Let’s take a shower. There’s no water. THAT DOES IT. I’m gonna go up on the roof, where I went last night cause I wanted some fresh air, into those big water containers up there and take a bath in their god-damned water supply. That’ll show them! I’ll leave my purse and handbag here and just take my room key. I know how to getup the roof, I just go through this unalarmed fire exit at the end of the corridor, walk up the fire escape like I did last night and bingo, I’m on the roof.”

“Alright, there are the water containers. Hm, they’re tall but if I shimmy up carefully I can get to the top cause I’m young and athletic. Let’s take the lid off, god it’s heavy. Ok, let’s lower myself in, ah it’s nice and warm. Ok, let’s drag the lid back into place in case anyone comes up here and there we go. I’m in the water in the dark. Let’s take my clothes off so I can feel more free, I might even have a little wee. That’ll show the hotel! Haha!”

“Ah crap, I left my watch on, that’s ok it’s a cheap one anyway. Hm, there’s not much air in here, I might open the hatch. Ah. I can’t find it because the container’s roof is smooth and the floor is far beneath my feet. I can’t climb up the sides because they’re smooth. Maybe this was a bad idea. Uh-oh. Uh-oh, I’ll bang on the sides and maybe someone will hear me. Help! HELP! I can’t breath, I can’t breath. Oh god, oh god, oh god, oh god, OH GOD…”

The autopsy report ruled accident so presumably the experienced officers investigating the case saw no evidence of murder or suicide. Still, like I said the death is unusual enough to leave anything possible so I might use it to make a good story out of :D

8 years ago

Dark water XD

That story reminded me a lot of the movie Dark Water