Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

You know you're a real [New Englander] when...

8 years ago

...the snow FINALLY comes, and it's a mere 4-6 inches of wintery mix, and you kind of laugh as you clamber down the snow-encrusted steps and make your way to the shed (where you startle the squirrel who's busy foraging in the shed, AGAIN, must be some seeds or something open, OH WELL) and then you grab the old-but-still-good shovel that's only missing its handle, but is at least BENT* the right way, and you shovel out the back steps, and then the path to the front steps a little, and then the front steps so you can get the front door open... and you laugh again, because the exercise feels good, because last winter was SO FUCKING HARD, between being depressed and having LITERAL FEET of snow to dig out. And you stop there, because the sidewalks don't REALLY need doing yet, because wintery mix is decent traction itself, and it's already as packed as it's going to get. Besides, the neighbor LOVES that snowblower of his, may as well let him take a crack at it. ;)

TL;DR: Love my geographical area. Snow and all. <3

*Yes, good shovels are bent. And it is VASTLY easier to shovel with the good kind. Don't be fooled by the fact that the straight-pole shovels are easier to HANG and thus easier to MARKET... if there's any chance you're ever going to get REAL snow, get a bent shovel. Your back will thank you.

...and then as you're writing you hear a goose. Presumably telling the other geese it's REALLY time to pack up and go, despite the nonsense of warm weather right up until Solstice...

ANYway. How do I know you're a real [insert geographical area and/or fandom here]?

8 years ago

You know you're a real Western Auatralian when 40 degrees (Celsius) feels warm, and only temperatures below 10 is cold (it's cold because we don't wear ten layers of clothes :P). 

You know you're a real fan of the Persona series when you start comparing your friends to the Tarot Cards. 

(Decided to do one of each ^_^)

8 years ago

Damn! Didn't know you were Australian, mate. Probably could've noticed that a while ago if I'd been paying attention to time zones, though. Other side of the world, and all. XD

Man, I WISH I could play the Persona games... waaaaaitaminute. We can probably emulate PSP games, yeah? Hypothetically? I mean, I would BUY THE DAMN CARTRIDGE and make it legal... those games are LEGEND to me, as a game designer.

8 years ago

I don't know how many times I've said it, as well as others XD I thought it was pretty obvious. 

Get the PPSSPP emulator. Works for just about anything, even iPhone and Android (though you need to pay for those), and both Personas 2 and 3 work extremely fluidly. The only minor, minor MINOR problem I've had is a slight graphical issue when the main character blinks on Persona 3 Portable, but as I said its minor (you'll see what I mean if you get it :3). If you have an Xbox 360 or Xbox ONE controller, you can even connect it to a USB port and it's just as though you were playing a PS2 (with an Xbox controller XD). I got a couple games that I don't actually own (Persona included) but hey, it doesn't hurt anyone, right? ;)

You can also use PCSX2, which is a PS2 emulator, but you need a decent computer and technical knowledge to get that all set up. Personally I'd just go for the PSP, that way you can get the best version of Persona 3 and also Persona 2: Innocent Sin (though unfortunately no P4 ;-;). 

8 years ago

:D

Crikey, mate, thank you!

(And now I'll knock it off with trying to sound Australian. I know almost nothing about Australia, aside from terrifying wildlife... and aboriginal people who believe that dreaming is more than it seems to us Westerners. Or however they'd characterize that us/them. 9_9)

8 years ago
You know you're a real Australian when you have to move to almost-Antarctica to see snow (and on bad years by the time you get there it's mushy ;-;)

8 years ago

You know you're a real Northwestern European when it's technically speaking winter, but it's still at least 10 degrees (Celsius) outside. Well, at least this year. 

8 years ago

This year was weird for us, too. Although I hear that was El Niño's fault? Something something Gulf Stream? I dunno, I'm not a weather geek. ;P

8 years ago
Yes, it was. Warm Christmas, and the beginning of next year isn't gonna be better either.

8 years ago

You know you're a real Minnesotan when you go out wearing nothing but jeans and a sweatshirt, because this winter is nothing compared to 2013. 

8 years ago

Haha! "Is this the best you got, Winter? C'mon, I can take it, let's see you bring it!"

8 years ago

You know you're a real Texan when you walk out on Christmas Eve and its 70 degrees outside, and you wear shorts and a t-shirt, and then two days later it's below freezing and you see snow....and it doesn't even reach the ground. 

8 years ago

Ooooh. I've never seen that, I don't think... sometimes it doesn't stick, but it's usually a melt-on-impact scenario, not melt-midair.

8 years ago

It's sad. No snow this year. 

8 years ago

Ah, but that's the magic of snow, isn't it? Can't be predicted. Can't be manufactured -- not really. Not those beautiful six-pointed flakes, big enough to see in all their beauty, on those few precious days when they fall alone...

Sorry, I'm waxing poetic again, it seems. But I do love snow. <3

8 years ago

You know you're Candian when you get 30cm overnight and need to be dug out of the driveway. 

8 years ago

I'd laugh, but I have a cough, and if I laugh that hard, I'll literally hurt myself. XD

You know you're a real [South Californian] when...

8 years ago

For once, I love freezing my butt off in the supposedly Mediterranean state.  XD

You know you're a real [South Californian] when...

8 years ago

'Tis the season. ;)

8 years ago

You know you're a real Westerner when you move to the East and wonder why water keeps falling from the sky! Around here we've had nonstop rain! No snow, of course. :/

8 years ago

Of course.

Never been out west... I used to be a rider, though, and I hear you've got actual working horses, instead of the foppish sorts we keep around here. ^_~

8 years ago

You know youre a fake eastcoster when you see snow, and instead of being happy for no school, cry about the hours youll need to spend shoveling your driveway. 

8 years ago

...wait, you're on the East Coast? Did I know that? Did I not know that? >_<

Well! Clearly you'd better not give me any personal information, or I might turn out to be that creepy older stalker who's only pretending to be an owl. ^_~

8 years ago

Well not atm lol, I'm currently in IS ha ha. But yeah, technically a jerseyian (imsorry)

8 years ago

Here it's something like -10. It's quite mild when you compare it to the previous winter.

8 years ago

Damn! Where the fark are you?

8 years ago

8 years ago

You know you live in a stupid place when you've effectively convinced someone that the Wild Haggis exist, and that they also live in parts of Green Bay and Canada...

8 years ago
You know you're a real [Ozarkian] when you see your neighbors go floating by on the holidays.  Because it's in the news, right now...

8 years ago

You know you're a real northern Michigander when you can give directions to the nearest Xmas tree farm, everyone you know lives within a mile of a lake, you've (accidentally or on purpose) been mistaken for Sasquatch.

You also know you're a real Persona fan when you refer to your friends as social links, and keep buying whatever spinoff a they make, be it fighting games, rhythm games, or the inevitable racing game.

8 years ago

You know you're a real Oregonian when you get rain, and more rain, and yet more rain still. And people are biking everywhere.

You know you're a real Supernatural fan if you go down to Winchester Bay for a camping trip, humming 'Carry On My Wayward Son', and become disappointed when you don't see any streets named 'Sam', 'Dean', or 'John'.

8 years ago

Ah, taco, you're a fan too? 

. . . Were you even alive when the show started? XD 

Spouse has been increasingly disappointed with the last few seasons, but says we've given ten years of our life to this show, might as well see how it ends. 

. . .  You know you're an almighty mod / member of a fandom when you apparently see nothing wrong with derailing a thread to discuss your fandom. XD 

8 years ago

Just started watching a couple weeks ago. I'm already almost done with season 4.

I must have just turned 4 years old when the first episode came out.

8 years ago

Wow. I think you've already surpassed me and I've been watching for months...

8 years ago

How far are you?

8 years ago

S04 E18

Further than I thought, actually.

8 years ago

Only 2 episodes behind me....soon to be 3.

8 years ago

Ah, that explains why you didn't mention Castiel.

Okay, fair warning. First 5 seasons are the best.

8 years ago

Castiel comes in at season 4. Angel dude, has doubts, shows no emotion...and is really really hilarious when he tickles Sam in the bloopers. ^_^ Somehow, seeing an emotionless angel tickling a demon-swayed Sam really strikes me as odd.

8 years ago

Season 6 was terrible, just started season 7 and it's slightly better.

8 years ago

>_>

<_<

...You know you're a real Yuugiou fan if you still get urges to write fanfiction for it 15 fucking years after you saw the first episode.

You know you're a real [Californian] when...

8 years ago

You know you're a Californian when you have no idea what rain is, and everyone asks you if you surf. No one surfs in Northern California. No one.

8 years ago

NorCal plebe.  We're freezing our asses off down here.

8 years ago

It's 63 degrees in LA right now. 53 where I live.