Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Contest Entry Submission Thread

6 years ago
Post a link to your completed story here.

6 years ago
Kirthia: Foundations

Prompt 17) Make up an entirely new world, including, species, religion, economy, and culture. The plot is up to you.

6 years ago

6 years ago

6 years ago

6 years ago

Ah frick, I forgot to link something at the end of one of the paths. Oh well. It's not all that important (just a heads up that there's 3 endings and special thanks and author notes and such) and it'll just take 2 minutes to fix it after it's been judged. 

6 years ago

6 years ago
The Ghost People

I appreciate all the people who read this. It's probably not among the best you've seen, but I did try to create a world to escape to, and hopefully it's entertaining. I've never written anything on this topic before, so it was a challenge.

The story is probably one of the shorter ones in the contest, so hopefully that works in my favor ;). There is one point where you have to use an item, and another point where you have the option to. Otherwise there isn't much by way of variables and items.

Thanks again!

6 years ago
Also, recommended listening as you read, to set the mood: Ancient Music - Ice Age

6 years ago
Is it possible to edit our published stories? I found a couple things I need to edit.

6 years ago

Not until the contest is over.

6 years ago
Any editing before the judging is over equates to a DQ.

6 years ago

6 years ago

6 years ago

Oh dang it, I forgot that someone else was writing a ballad. The worst part is that Romulus actually has an understanding of poetry so now I feel ashamed of my own writing but that's what happens when I don't know how to write poetry. However good luck to you and your ballad.

6 years ago

6 years ago

6 years ago

6 years ago

I was worried I wouldn't be able to do this because I just fixed my computer yesterday but I did it!! Custody Case

6) Jack and Jill went up a hill to fetch a pail of water. But when they came down, Jack soon found that he and Jill had a daughter.

Also here's the link to my update forum thing: Jack and Jill

6 years ago

Your story isn't showing up on the New Story list.

6 years ago

Dang it, I just looked it over and it didn't actually let me publish it because it hasn't been two days. *proceeds to burn flowcharts and paper notes and the whole town*

6 years ago

I'm not sure which of us should feel worse then.

6 years ago

I'm not sure how Bucky wants to do this, but since it's his contest, I guess he can decide on if StillWater's submission (And yours) counts or not.

6 years ago

Yeah... I still look forward to reading all the entries including yours though! :)

6 years ago

I'm feeling properly shamed.  I don't have the heart to go on.  Facetiously. 

6 years ago

There we go, it's been published.

6 years ago

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/magno

6 years ago

I'm sorry for not hyper linking it, but I had one minute left to submit and I really did not want to be shamed. 

Speaking of which, it looks like I was the last one to make a submission, so that might be worth an achievement or something. Maybe master procrastinator or something similar?

6 years ago

6 years ago

Unfortunately, you are two minutes late. 

6 years ago

And I'm sure you took far too much pleasure in telling me that.

6 years ago

RIP Mynoris.

6 years ago

What the fuck, I'm not reading all this bullshit. Someone else do it.

6 years ago

It's not your contest, is it?  Who said you had to?

6 years ago

Admins are typically judges.

Plus I get along with Bucky enough that I'll help him out on this.

EDIT: Although if Bucky doesn't want me to be a judge, I'll gleefully accept not being one. I'm mostly in it for the SHAMING anyway.

6 years ago

Ah, I didn't know that it was taken for granted it would always be that way.

6 years ago
That is one hell of a lot of reading. I'll keep this in mind should anyone ever ask me to be a judge...

6 years ago
We got some huge stories this time around. Before this I had theories as to who the top three would be, but now I'm not so sure until I can read them all for myself.

6 years ago

Yeah. They all seem good, and people (mostly) actually put effort into it. 

6 years ago

Haven't started reading any of these yet. Probably will wait until the weekend to get through most of them.

6 years ago
Read a handful, will definitely not get through them all until after the weekend.

6 years ago

Alright, read stories by Mizal, Ogre, IAP, Malk and Tacocat's so far.

6 years ago

Read through a path on Steve's story and got a bunch of endings. Going to go back to it at some point, but I got the general idea.

Moving on to the next ones.

6 years ago

Fluxion, Crescent and Romulus out of the way.

Might as well try to go through the rest of these tonight and just go over the ones that looked the most promising again later to hammer out the final rankings.

6 years ago

Okay, the rest of them are done save for Still's and Mynoris' and Bucky disqualified them so I can read those later.

Again, going to revisit some of these again soon (And still need to write a quick review of Digit's), but I have the general idea of the top stories now.

6 years ago

Take your time with our disqualified ones.  Probably best for both sides, hm? 

6 years ago

I said fuck it and decided to press on because who needs sleep?

Well I can honestly say I really wish Mynoris’ story was eligible because this probably would have been one of my top picks. There’s a bunch of slut shaming, tasteful rape and hopelessness going on in it.

I mean it’s light on the graphic violence side, but I wasn’t expecting that from her anyway, and the rest makes up for it. Sure there’s some “positive” endings, but it didn’t take away from the overall story.

I dunno, I might end up picking this one anyway to displace the points for one of rankings, or however Bucky said that was working.

6 years ago

At the risk of sounding sentimental, thanks.

6 years ago
Congratulations to everyone who managed to beat the deadline and get something published. No, really, it is a big deal to hit that "publish" button, even if you're thinking of taking it down later to add something else to it. And based on the preliminary ratings showing up for everyone's contest stories, most readers here agree that you've all really published something worth reading.

So congrats again to each and every one of you (@mizal, @TheNewIAP, @Malkalak, @CrashandDrive, @Steve24833, @Fluxion, @CrescentStar, @Romulus, @Digit, @AzBaz, @ericyopy, @EbonVasilis) and thank you for sharing your stories with everyone here. No, I'm not saying you are all winners ('cause you're not, THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE), but you have all added to the quality of stories on this site.

6 years ago

Thanks. Same to you. It was actually a pretty good contest. If we're tagging people, @Mynoris and @StillWatersRunDeep put out some stuff, although I haven't gotten around to either of those. 

6 years ago

Reading through Steve's story a bit I can see that he'll be getting first place as the quality matched the quanity yet again.

Shooting for 3rd place but we'll see soon.

6 years ago

Agreed. Congrats to everyone on their submissions.

6 years ago

Congratulations, all ya participants! :D I'd also like to thank the judges for reading the entries this contest since many were long! 

6 years ago

Also the vast difference between the genres and stories allows for even more enjoyment from readers and that's excellent for this site which might have been lacking in certain topics. I'm glad that this contest turned out mostly great entries and good luck to those who to score high with the judges.

6 years ago
Think we're definitely going to see some pretty dramatic turnover in the featured stuff in the Edutainment section.

6 years ago
Thanks! And you can give yourself a pat on the back as well!

That "publish" button has been the bane of my existence for several years now. Now that I've overcome that obstacle, I can move on to the second: a decent enough quality story that I don't have to keep my face covered when talking to all you nice internet folks.

And may the best person win! Or at least the best story.

6 years ago
Thanks and back at you. It was a slog, but an enjoyable slog!

6 years ago
@EndMaster

I think it's fair to return the entry fee to Mynoris and Stillwater.

6 years ago

Returned

6 years ago

Thank you both kindly.  (I got more RPS options.  Whee!)

6 years ago

Thanks you guys!