Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Proofreaders and Beta Testers Requested

4 years ago
If you're not in the contest but willing to help others proofread/beta test their stories, please post here. I know several people are doing script work, so I'm sure they'll appreciate someone to give their stories a test run in a few weeks. And Mara specifically has been trying to find someone to help her proofread her grammar.

Who knows, Mizal may even give you some pointless points for your service.

4 years ago
I think everyone is in the contest.

Show up with fewer prompts next time.

4 years ago
Thara or Sent might be willing. Maybe Zake or Sir William Smiley? Doctor Professor Gower?

EDIT: Are Azbaz and IronPanther still around?

4 years ago
IronPanther...?

Bucky, you may have suffered a severe concussion. Can you tell me how many fingers I'm holding up, and who the current President is?

4 years ago

To be fair, I wouldn't blame someone for living in the past and pretending the current presidency never happened. And in that past IronPanther would be active still. So maybe Bucky is onto something! Hard to say though. Concussions are serious business, and nobody is more serious about business than IronPanther. 

Go figure this would be one of the few threads I'd click on when looping by a minute, since I normally don't check the forums. I still come by every now and then to read a few stories though, even if I'm not logging in. I can probably proofread/test a few over the weekend.

4 years ago
Don't worry, the next President will finally return the world to the positive place it was, where no one spent four years impotently bitching about anything and everyone got along. :) :) :)

4 years ago

With the next President everything will be absolutely perfect. If not with that one, then surely the one after. And thus the endless cycle of political dissatisfaction continues. That's why writing (or reading) is a much more fun hobby than the bottomless pit that is politics.

4 years ago

I finish exams on the 15th. After that, I might be able to help beta-test one or two entries (if anyone wants the help). 

4 years ago
I don’t think anyone will be ready before then anyway. But I know Mara will be very appreciative.

4 years ago

Hey, Reader82. I'm not doing the contest, but could you go over the story-game I've been working on?

4 years ago
Is this Aphrodite's Orphan, or the new one?

4 years ago

mizal, there's not going to be a new one till after Aphrodite's Orphan is published. It's been a long stretch, but I'm nearing the finnish line. If you want to look at it again, you're more than welcome. I've written over 100 pages so far.

4 years ago

Sure - send me a PM with the link and I will help out when I get the chance. Like I said, I should have more free time after the 15th. 

(As a side note, are you looking mostly for revising advice, editing advice, or beta testing for bugs / other issues?)

4 years ago

Reader82, I guess editing advice. Let me send you the link.

4 years ago

I'm willing to do some proofreading and testing. I have a pretty good knowledge of English stuff, so send me a message or reply here if I can help out in some way. I know Mara was requesting a proofreader a couple weeks ago, but she never got back to me on that.

e: I will have a lot of time over winter break too. The week preceding it (next week) might be a little busy, though.

4 years ago
I didn't send you text because ai literally ended up the game for Mizal contest three hours before the deadline. This time around I learned my lesson and ask about beforehand to give me and testers, time to work on edition. I would send you and Morgan the link now.

4 years ago
@poison_mara

4 years ago

I'm willing.

4 years ago

Count me in

4 years ago
So what is the full tally on people proofreading Mara's story, because it seems like a lot.

But then again I guess no one else in the contest has bothered to ask yet and it probably will be the usual problem of everyone finishing the hour of the deadline.

4 years ago
I am the more needed for testing, Mizal tbh. So I will welcome around everyone willing to help. And more people means less scenes to check out for everyone else lol. EVERYONE WINS

4 years ago
You have my bow

4 years ago

And my axe.

4 years ago

I'd love to help!

4 years ago

Seeing how many have joined up, I'll be asking for some feedback too. Thank y'all for your helpfulness!
If you have any interest reading and giving feedback about a story of a baron losing the love of his life and either be a spurned lover or a naive cuckold about it, feel free to send me a PM. I tried to proofread it myself as good as possible, but a second opinion is always appreciated and often necessary. Other feedback about parts of the story that are boring/unlogical or any continuity errors are alI golden nuggets too.
If you don't want to do any of that and just want to read some unfinished contest story and laugh about it, that's fine too. I'll provide the link below to just do that. Lots of love either way.
http://chooseyourstory.com/story/a-treatise-on-heartly-manners~2e

4 years ago

I'd be happy to help.

4 years ago

Saw this awhile after it was posted, but I will be needing some help play testing/proof reading in a bit. My game is not at the point where it is read yet, but I will make a post with a link when it is. Thank you everyone who already said they would help with play testing.

4 years ago

I know I am going to regret this, but I volunteer to beta test and prof-read absolutely everyone's entry who wishes me to, except, of course for that one person who knows who they are.  Tag me or write me when you've got a finished draft.

Don't take me up on this if you already have readers, though, so we can spread the wealth.

4 years ago
Will you grade us, too?

4 years ago

Yes, on a detailed rubric with insulting descriptors.  You have been warned.

4 years ago
Gower, you’re good people.

4 years ago

If you get any time tonight or tomorrow morning, "The Book of Vanishing Tales" is now on Sneak Preview. For now, all the variables show, but only Silver will show when it is published.

The biggest things I need noted are:
- any broken routes (unless it's after Pefallis or Cathedral, just avoid those routes if you can. Cathedral will probably be dropped, and Pefallis I'm connecting up in the morning.) There shouldn't be any at this point.
- Getting to the Grove and not seeing any choices. This shouldn't happen. Even one choice should be rare, but at this point I'll save fixing that for an update. Seeing more than 4 choices is also something worthy of mention, as that shouldn't happen either.
- major typos or spelling errors (I might not get a ton of time to polish these, but anything jarring that pulls one out of the story is worth fixing)
- Any page accidentally left in 'summary note' form and not finished (unless, again, you went through the Cathedral or Pegallis to get there.)
- Anything that seems like it shouldn't be there or takes you to a page that doesn't fit the narrative

4 years ago

You should add a link so playtesters can just click it on your post. I tried to go find one for you, but I can't click on the game on your profile. I hope you get it looked at!