Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Who's going back to school?

3 years ago

Digit shared this with us in Discord, and my initial instinct is that Western civilization may be screwed now. It's been nice knowing you all.

Well, most of you.

But we'll see how it goes.

I believe the general age range of the site has shifted upwards so that almost everyone is their early 20s now, but I know some of you are still school aged. Is your district sending you back?

I assume this is a positive thing for you, since statistically most CYStians have awful families and don't develop hard introvert tendencies until they're surrounded by the drunken partythots and uberwoke blue haired lesbians that exist in every college environment.

But this thread is #4thekidz so feel free to share any thoughts on how your state/district is handling things, how much you hate your mom and UGH she just doesn't understand, details of the last fight you had with your friends and why they were wrong, how hard your homework is and any other inane schoolkid drama.

3 years ago

Yes, we are allowed the option of going back or doing online school. I personally choose to go back because I am very social and thankfully healthy, but it's a little bit scary. Social distancing is basically impossible, but whatever.

3 years ago

Unfortunately, I am also going back to school in a few weeks. I live in Texas and I think most of us have seen what's going on here with coronavirus lately, so I don't have to go too in-depth. For the most part, everyone is going back as normal, except we wear masks and religiously use sanitizer, because the district decided that sanitizer takes priority over the soap in the bathrooms. I chose to go online this school year because if the schools couldn't handle lice, they probably can't handle COVID. I'll miss my friends and everything, but I'd like to stay away from the other kids who already don't wash their hands on a consistent basis.

3 years ago

Smart.

3 years ago
It sounds like the public high schools here are delaying opening until September. Usually school starts in August. There's a lot of confusion and waffling back and forth though, it seems. My college is starting on time but with an online option and mandatory masks in rooms where social distancing isn't possible. Which is nice. I missed it.

3 years ago
does university count? (rhetorical) Mine is doing online for the first week and then letting classes that need to be in person be in person just with halved sections so nobody is sitting elbow to elbow. They're screwing over the teachers the most, basically making them all do double lectures and take on more classes on top of that, so it's gonna be a shitshow but at least the traffic wont be bad on campus hopefully.

Pretty much all my classes have to be in person cause we need the electrical and test equipment in the labs to do anything. I feel bad for some of my favorite teachers, they're just getting slaughtered with work this semester. I'd have to go on campus regardless because I don't have internet at home and can't do online school from my phone, so almost nothing changes for me. I'll get up, drive to school, do classes and work on stuff until sundown, then go home and sleep. Rinse and repeat what I've done for the last many years.

Masks are necessary for anyone on campus. And anyone living in the dorms has to be tested or they're not getting in. They're also upgrading the connectivity at my school with 5G and more grocerie robots. Though I already thought the internet was really good on campus. Idk how many more robots they're planning to add but they'll all get stuck waiting at a crosswalk anyways so it doesnt bother me.

3 years ago
Grocery robots?

3 years ago

In my school, we've already started for a few weeks. The new 'online plus in class learning' is not that effective since it's more or less the same experience, except that the teacher has to repeat the in class discussions for the students online (yet most teachers just get all students to go on zoom regardless of whether they are in school or at home and hold the lessons there). Due to this and all the restrictions set for in school learning, I find it simpler and more convenient to just learn at home for the most part.

3 years ago

I'm in university and it seems very likely that I will be returning, but China is doing much better on the pandemic front than the US right now.

3 years ago
china simp

3 years ago

China kinda thicc tho

3 years ago

I'm fully online all fall semester, happily enough.  Not that I much like teaching online.  Still, it's probably best, and it's not like I'm teaching labs or anything that can't be handled in a zoom lecture.

3 years ago

I'm not really looking forward to going back to school the bullies target me a lot I don't know why......

It's just high school for me so....

but..

3 years ago

They probably target you for not using threaded view.

3 years ago
It's possible he speaks aloud each individual dot at the end of all his sentences too.

3 years ago
Forgot to mention. Those of you under 16, as long as you're in here, please sew this onto your profile somewhere: It will make it easier for your friendly neighborhood admins to identify and deal with you in an efficient manner. Please don't hesitate to say so if you're having trouble figuring out how adding images works. In fact, just make a new thread for it, that's the quickest way.

3 years ago

They actually only target me because they think I'm weird..............

3 years ago
Well a nine year old in high school is pretty weird.

I think you should stop posting now, "Carter". Maybe for four years.

3 years ago

-_-

edit: I'm only pretending to be nine nice try

edit 2: GRRRRRRRR

3 years ago

Well I do agree with them. It takes a real freak to abandon basic societal decency and just decide not to click the one button that makes the forums readable.

3 years ago

Real talk. 

3 years ago

Lol!

3 years ago
Our university is flipping off the rest of the world: fully in-person starting on time. Oh sure, we have the social distancing and masks (sure we will), but we have lots of labs, so we're just going to do stuff.

Interestingly, they're scheduled to stop in-person instruction after Thanksgiving. Something about students traveling over Thanksgiving and potentially bringing diseases back to campus. Apparently that only happens over Thanksgiving, and not the summer, though, somehow.

3 years ago

I'm trying college

3 years ago
What's your major so we can make fun of you

3 years ago

Aren't you studying math?

3 years ago
I was 4 years ago where the fuck were you I already got a math degree and moved onto mechanical engineering then switched to electrical/computer engineering.

3 years ago
That's cool, hope it works out and you only have to deal with minimal bullshit.

3 years ago
Starting this fall? Cool. I hope it goes well.

3 years ago

I'm already in school again, but we're doing it virtually.

Our teacher keeps freezing, so that sucks.