Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
Commended by TharaApples on 1/7/2023 3:11:18 PM
No contest here, the contest is over th-- Right. I know some of you will undoubtedly be wanting to get your spooky on for Halloween, but your hosts at CYS are all contested out for the next couple of months. Mara has stepped up. ....well, she actually did over a week ago and I've been too lazy to make the thread over here. But the deadline is the end of October, that's like forever from now. You guys have plenty of time! This isn't going to be an official contest with points fees and the like, but if you're wanting to write a Halloween story, you shouldn't need any extra incentive to go forth and spread the glory of CYS! Pointless points and e-honor however will be rewarded to those who make a good showing. I don't think you have to actually make an account over there to enter, but get with @poison_mara about any details like that. Oh, and she has made a promotional video, full of spook: ****** Our previous cross-site battle had only @Wannabe_Human showing up from the CoGite side, and he's already in this one. The guy seems to specialize in spookiness so we will need to send in our best to take him down. Watch this space for a Discord link, I've been going over the idea of a September-November event server for discussion of horror fiction in various forms, as well as all the contests and jams that pop up in various places around this time of year. Update: linky

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
I want to thanks to @mizal for the thread and the publicity it will bring to the Game Jam. Even if there is a poll that will show what are the public top five; this is not a contest and nobody will score you. This was created with the idea of making people who usually don't write, or write very few, to try to make a small game and share the experience with others in the same circumstances. It also has the potential to bring together different forms of IF people try out other engines or codes. Basically, any language that allows interactive choices and It is playable online is allowed.
So, I hope to see many of you trying.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
Ended up creating an account over there when checking out the thread. If I land on a good idea, I'll take part. The last thing I'd want to do is commit with a subpar idea and feel obligated to finish it. There may not be SHAME involved, but there is lower-case "shame" in joining and not finishing something.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago

I had an idea for just such a storygame, although it's going to come down to whether I can set aside the time.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago

I am an absolute fan of Halloween! I'll join. :]

Do you have to write a story on the forum or a CYS story?

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
Usually people start with being able to read before they start writing.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
The Jam is in Cog (Choice of games) a forum story is not allowed, however, you can present a Cys game to it. If you don't want to make a Cog account to post your story I can post it for you. However, I recommend you and everyone else make an account and hang out in my Game jam thread there people are really friendly and chill.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
Note: the people at CoG are neither friendly nor chill.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
The people in my jam are new people who have never written and are friendly they are new to if

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago

I'll make an account. Thanks!

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
AL, just to be clear, you can make the game here and either just post the link over on COG when you're done, or pass it along to Mara to post if you don't have an account there.

Not sure if you ever successfully made an account or not, some of the messages you sent me were confusing.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago

I'll try to actually make something this time.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago

I have an idea for a storygame, but progress has been slow so I have no idea if I'll be able to complete it in the end (especially since I'm having more exams now than there used to be and it's harder to allocate time for writing).

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago

Same here. 

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago

Assuming you are using the RTE (Rich text editor), a trick that has helped me is to hold down the shift button when you click enter to start a new paragraph. It might look strange when you're editing the storygame to see the paragraphs clustered together, but this would give you more control over the spacing and remove the double spaces.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
Or just, like, turn off the RTE.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago

Count me in. :~)

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
Welp, guess the rest of us already lost.

Love the new avatar btw.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
Haha, I'm always up for a spooky story. Thank you!

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
I have a story I started when I first joined that could work for this. I've only written the first few pages, would it be eligible if I can finish it in time, or does this have to be a brand new story? Nothing of the main plot has been introduced yet.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
Commended by mizal on 10/21/2020 10:45:09 AM

Basement Rats!

It's short and sweet but I think it turned out pretty well. :~)

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
Congrats on leading the charge!

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago

Wait, but what do you mean? I led the charge!

...on rating it. I'm never joining a contest...

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago

Thank you!

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
Commended by mizal on 11/1/2020 2:06:13 PM

Stanley and a Statue
I decided to participate in the jam and finished a story. I think it's alright, and should be entertaining. It was pretty fun to write, so I'll probably do another CYOA later, especially now that I've had a little practice. Thanks for hosting the jam, Mara.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
I'm very happy you finished, I was worried this was going to turn out to be a reverse of the Battle For Ancient Ruins comp and only one CYStian would show up against a gaggle of CoGites.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
I would've tried to write something for this, but she didn't seem interested in answering my question so I didn't bother.

Are we going to get a list of the games soon? Most are on other sites, right?

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
I haven't even looked at the full list yet, but @poison_mara has a thread up on CoG. She'll probably link to it here, or else make a new one.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
Yeah Mara's not the most friendly person.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
Lol

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
Say the person who broke my heart saying that would never be my mentor.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
Thanks to you for participate!

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
The voting thread goes up tomorrow, so we'll get a list of all entrants up, and instructions for however voting works.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
Commended by mizal on 11/1/2020 2:05:56 PM

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
Nice.

At a glance, seems like some major spoilers in the description, but excellent taste in the music as always, and I'm so happy it comes in dark mode by default, that means that if I need to I can read it on my phone.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
Doesn't it need to be published to count?

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
Hope, this gives you the exposure you deserve between the people who only read Cog.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
Commended by mizal on 11/1/2020 2:05:44 PM
Didn't have much time, but I managed this. Are you tired of seeing my name on the Newly Created list yet? I am.

Halloween Writing Jam

3 years ago
Great job as always, Ninja.