Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Wow, what a week! (It's only Tuesday)

2 years ago
Is this thread worthy? Probably not, but these past 2 days have honestly been crazy, and I feel like sharing. (I also wanna get to know some of you guys better, so here we are!)

Anyway, it all started yesterday as I was biking home from school, and I saw something on the side of the road that looked like someones car keys.....and that is exactly what they were. So now I just kinda have some poor guys car keys that he dropped, and I have no clue what I should do with them.

Anyway, next day, I'm at school again, and all of a sudden, music starts playing over the speakers. Yep, some guy somehow made it to the speakers and started playing some of his terrible taste in music. (Like, it sounded like some random soundcloud rapper honestly) and that went on for 10 minutes. Sure was interesting.

Alright, that all gets settled, we finally get to settle down and do class, until then, guy who sits right next to me, gets a phone call. Turns out, his sister tested positive for covid, yay! I share 4 classes with that guy too, and as I just found out, he also tested positive for covid.

So yeah, that's how my week has gone so far, been pretty crazy, and now I get to fear that I've caught covid. How fun. So anyway, how's about you guys? How's your week been going so far?

2 years ago
>>>How's your week been going so far?

Well, I read this thread.

2 years ago
My condolences.

2 years ago
Congratulations

2 years ago
If there was no car around then it probably wasn't the owner's only key, so I wouldn't worry about him too much. He can get new ones at the dealership anyhow.

Hopefully you don't have covid, but you sound young enough I'd assume that other, more at risk people you might infect would be the biggest concern here.

Then again covid is kind of crazy with how it can affect people with symptoms almost randomly, so it should never be taken lightly.

2 years ago
That's true, still no clue what I should do with the keys though. I kinda feel like tossing them out, but maybe I should also keep them in case the guy ever comes looking for them.

Also yeah, I am young so I ain't really super concerned for myself at all, but more so for my dad who is a type 1 diabetic and has surgery in a few days, so he's been trying really hard to not catch the virus.

Hopefully I can get a test in a few days, but until then I'll probably just try to interact very minimally with my parents. Sucks that I can't get the vaccine too, you have to be 16 to get it so I'm still gonna have to wait almost a year for it.

2 years ago
The proper thing to do in a case like this, is to try the keys in every random car until they fit, take a joyride, run it through the carwash, then park it in a suitably humorous manner, with the engine still running.

That should be enough to let the guy know he should take better care of his car keys.

You're welcome, glad to help ^v^

2 years ago

Did you turn into Avery for this post?

2 years ago
This isn't a bad idea, now I'm gonna try to build a ramp so I can park it on their roof

2 years ago
When I had Covid, I felt sick for two days, permanently lost my sense of smell, presumably, and it added 2 minutes to my two mile. I'm hoping today I'll get my old time back. That was 3 months ago.

My wife's experience was radically different. I didn't even have a cough.

OP: sorry to hear that, stay away from Grandma.

2 years ago

Shit like this is why I haven't gone on a non essential outing in coming up on a year. I had double-lung pnuemonia as a teenager, and getting my lung capacity back took months and was hell. I wouldn't want to duplicate that experience but with a new disease that also adds a dice roll of new symptoms 

Hope you get your sense of smell and two mile record back 

2 years ago
I had a spontaneous pneumothorax about a decade ago, so I feel you.

14:48 was my two mile today, so I'm getting there. I can do without the sense of smell, I want those 48 seconds.

Stay well, even if you mostly shrug it off, it seems to have weird lingering side effects. Get vaccinated as soon as it becomes available. Even if it's only mostly effective, it's better than nothing.

2 years ago

If you get covid that would be unlucky. My week has been pretty bad, considering that I tore my calf open with a bike chain and my sports-related heel pain got worse to the point that I have to wear an ankle brace.

2 years ago
Hope you feel better man, that sounds like it'd be awful to deal with.

2 years ago
I tripped while crossing the street and skinned part of my forearm. Still don't know how.

2 years ago
Commended by TharaApples on 4/22/2021 3:52:51 PM
You just explained how? You tripped: "To cause to stumble or fall." Logically, because you mentioned your forearm, in this usage of the word, clearly you did not just stumble, but you did actually fall: "To drop or come down freely under the influence of gravity." So, logically, if you attempted to take a step, but instead you tripped, which included a fall, your body headed towards the street that you were attempting to cross, under the influence of gravity. Your body, through unconscious reflexes, does attempt to protect itself from serious injury when possible. In this case, as indicated by your mentioning of the forearm, your body could tell that you were about to face plant into the sidewalk. At the time your brain, even if under the influence of strange manufactured chemicals, was able to process the options. Your brain, in mere microseconds, was able to determine that if it continued on it's normal course, and perhaps your natural state, doing nothing, that there would be damage. It likely ran a few projections and realized that, based on shared experiences, that it would hurt tremendously if it allowed your face to slam directly into the pavement. It knew that your nose would likely smash and cartiledge would break. It realized that there would be a good bit of blood loss and that blood cells would likely be put to work repairing cells for quite some time. It knew there was a possibility of the crash actually shutting the brain down for a period of time, during which some dump truck might come down the street and run over your lifeless body, making a bad situation worse. And it knew that, at least in your case, that no one nearby would do anything, and might instead actually cheer said dump truck along. So your brain decided that it wasn't worth the risk and chose to act. Now the brain didn't check with you. I realize clearly, based on your post, that your conscious mind had no connection to this survival portion of your brain. That's okay, your brain doesn't mind, it just wants to keep itself alive, despite your attempts to destroy it. In fact, it rules over you, whether you like to admit it or not. Oh sure, you could kill it, but then you would, of course, actually kill yourself as well. Your brain knows this, so it continues to control you and do what it wants, regardless of your thoughts and ideas. So your brain decided to act before you met the dump truck up close and personal. Again, in less than the time it takes for your snot to drip out of your nose, it considered options. It may have considered trying to go back in time and have you completely not trip, but likely quickly rejected that option because of the time and effort involved in creating a time machine, and the fact that you'd have to survive the dump truck mauling in order to build such a time machine. It likely quickly realized that it was severely limited by your flabby physical body to options at this point in time. Given the small number of options and the weakness of your current muscles, the brain used the only reasonable option it could find in the limited time it had: it chose to sacrifice your forearm. Sure, it knew that there would be an injury and that you would likely cry, but the brain didn't care. It was going to ensure it's own survival and really didn't even mind if you lost the entire arm. In fact, the brain might have considered trying to hold the arm down on the ground until the massive dump truck showed up so the brain wouldn't have to worry about feeding that arm ever again. So, again, clearly without your knowledge, the brain caused your arm, which included your forarm, to just out in front of you before you completed your most unmajestic fall. Next, gravity did it's thing (not caring one bit about you, your body, your brain, or even the huge dump truck, other than perhaps enjoying the soothing massage of the dump truck as it rolled over the pavement because yes, gravity is inside the earth). When your body and arm reached the pavement, your arm was in motion due to the aforementioned gravity. The pavement, due to it's design has a strength stronger than that of your skin. So when the pasty skin of your forearm made contact with the pavement, the pavement did not move -- but your arm did, pinning your skin between your forearm and the pavement. Since your arm continued to move, your skin managed to tear slightly to compensate for the unforgiving surface of the pavement and the friction created by your falling action. This caused part of the skin to be left in the surface of the pavement, removing it from your forearm. "Skinned" is when some skin has been removed. So while you clearly were thinking about some kind of perverted anime while your brain was doing all this work to keep you alive, you still did lose some of your skin on your forearm. Perhaps you were distracted by the sexy garbage men driving the dump truck as you struggled to your feet. After the truck passed, you went on your way, and your brain went back to trying to keep you from killing yourself, but being so manly, you didn't even notice the missing skin until a much later time, which is obviously when you made this post. I hope that helps you understand how you skinned part of your forearm. You're welcome.

2 years ago

TL;DR - ah u fall and brain hurtie is bad so instead fall on arm and ouch arm hurtie.

2 years ago
I can't even put in this much effort for a simple school essay, how do you do manage to do this?

2 years ago
It's fun!

2 years ago
Hope you don't catch it. I had it back in Feb but i wasn't bad with it luckily. I was worried about my mother with it as she's asthmatic, but she was the same as me thankfully. It's crazy how some get it really bad and others it's no big deal.

The keys could you drop them off at the police station? Do they have a lost property box?

Well my week so far I was stuck at work late Monday as I had to take an animal to be put down and the vets were running late. Yesterday was stuck at work super late as had to take an animal to be put down, and the vets were running late again. Then when I got back after that I found out the cricket delivery had come in, so I had to put that away before I could go home. The joys of being an Animal Technician, but today I actually left on time!

2 years ago
I've never actually been to the police station, so I wouldn't know (come to think of it, I don't actually know where it is, which is weird considering I'm literally neighbors with the sheriff.)

Also wow, 2 pets in 2 days is a lot. At least you made it on time today, let's hope that keeps up!

2 years ago
I only know where mine is because because it's near my mother's work, and when I had to pick her up she kept telling me not speed last it.

2 years ago
Your job sounds depressing as hell.

2 years ago
A lot of the animals at work are old, and it seems some got together and decided now is the time to get stuff wrong with them before lockdown lifts more. Normally it's not too bad well when no body escapes or is biting me that is ha ha.

2 years ago
What a crazy week!

2 years ago

I'm sorry about that, I hope you don't have covid. I have asthma so even though I'm a kid I have to be really careful. 

My week has gone pretty well, thanks for asking. My friend and I are learning how to use a broadsword together and that's been crazy. My birthday is tomorrow and to celebrate it I get to hang out with a school friend who I have seen about 3 times in the past year. Normally my week is pretty bad because I have virtual school and really bad internet, so I basically just have to figure out the material myself. 

2 years ago
Have a good birthday, one that doesn't contain any horrible broadsword accidents.

...can we see the sword?

2 years ago

Sorry for the shitty image, I don't have a phone so I had to take it on my computer. 

2 years ago

Do you know if this is hand forged or not? Also how long is the blade?

2 years ago

Sorry, I don't know.

The blade is 2 feet 3 inches. 

2 years ago

That's a nice length sword. One way to tell if it's hand forged is by looked closely at the blade. If it has circular prints or any prints it was most likely hand forged. They would be small but it's a clear indicator if it's hand forged.

2 years ago
I doubt anyone is buying a ten year old a hand forged medieval weapon.

2 years ago
If it is a martial arts weapon, it will generally be un-tempered steel, which will bend like a bastich if you thwack it against a tree. They also tend to have a screw tang with a weld specifically designed to break, should you try hitting someone with it.

That way, it can be sold as a replica item, and not a deadly weapon.

Still looks pretty kickass though!

2 years ago

there was a murder in my hometown where they sharpened an imitation samurai sword and it broke off in a dude after a couple stab wounds. I guess that's why lmao

2 years ago

Happy Cake Day! ^_^

2 years ago
Happy birthday! Sick sword by the way.

2 years ago

I hope you get covid and die so you never post a thread like this again

2 years ago
Odds of that are low, but you never know what could happen.

2 years ago

A man can dream

2 years ago
Just don't be too disappointed by the end result!