Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

Highlights of the Past Year

4 years ago
Commended by BerkaZerka on 2/8/2020 2:05:51 PM
I know it's been said, but looking back over the past thirteen months really just underlines how many unexpectedly, astoundingly good stories you guys wrote. Fifteen new features, or sixteen if you count the polished and republished version of Frameshift. Or you could even say eighteen, looking at the publishing of Azula and Zuko and Ciara's Game right at Christmas in 2018. Many of these are from relatively new members as well, which is even more impressive. 2019 was a such a great year for the site and with the community we have assembled here 2020 may be even better. With this thread I just wanted to take a moment to frame some of the best stories and hang them on the site's refrigerator next to the crayon drawings and turkey handprints, because even though I've sworn off adopting more internet children, and you're all much too competent to fit my...exacting criteria anyhow, you're still all very special and important to me. First off, the contest winners. We had most of these contests crammed into the final third of the year and a bunch of you proved you could write REALLY well under pressure.
Corgi's Lord's of the Land: @Cricket with Sir Osis Gower's Ruins of a Dead Civilization: @Ninja with The Sanguine and Blackbeard's Cutlass Endmaster's Succubus: @Ogre with Hank's Journey Mizal's Lone Hero: @Pugpup1 with Father Leofwine is Dead. End of Year: @Enterpride with A Treatise on Heartly Matters
The Knight Order of the Golden Sun @RNDGamer When The Music's Over @Chris113022 Secret of the Grass Planet @Bill_Ingersoll Sabbatical Report Presentation @Gower The Daemonologists @pugpup1 Woban Island @Bill_Ingersoll A Treatise on Heartly Manners @Enterpride Private Game for Natalie @Gower Kelly Unicornstrider and Friends (1982-1985) Super Quiz @Gower The Book of Vanishing Tales @Camelon The Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost @Avery_Moore Twin Arrows @ninjapitka Edithe Zilonis @MadHattersDaughter Father Leofwine is Dead @pugpup1 The Sanguine and Blackbeard's Cutlass @ninjapitka And then we have Frameshift by @AzBaz, Azula and Zuko by @WouldntItBeNice, and Ciara's Game by @simplesabley.
As you will notice, there's a few names that appear multiple times. Not only is that kind of output just plain impressive on its own, but most of them joined in 2018 or later. In many ways 2019 was the year of the noobs outperforming the regulars. (If you're a long time member, yes, I'm singling you out: feel bad.) Now, the featured games are selected by admins from well received games, as it right and proper, but I also decided to do a little experiment in democracy this year. Authors nominated the following games for consideration to be titled the BEST of 2019, as chosen by popular vote:
Secret of the Grass Planet Edithe Zilonis Private Game for Natalie When the Music's Over The Chronomantic Adventures of Professor Gower: Office Hours A Pixie Danced Ineptitude 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO Landslide
The end tally of votes was as follows: PGfN 5 WtMO 3 SoGP 2 EdZi 2 Although I'm more of a Kelly fan, that makes Natalie the winner of the CYS Choice award. Congrats Gower! Apparently the people just loooove your creepy stalker side. Of course the disappointing number of votes sent in and the general lack of discussion in the actual discussion thread (tbh I'm not even certain everyone who voted read all the games...) proves once again that democracy doesn't work. Next year's CYS Choice award will be chosen by myself or a small channel of elite judges, same as for other contests. Trouble yourselves in these confusing matters no more, peasants. Return to your fields. It's easier this way. BUT, while you're out there, takes some time to exercise your privilege as actually literate peasants. Relax in your thatched hut and read some of these stories. Most of the contest winners were up against some serious competition and the authors were working in a very limited time frame to turn out gold. And as for the featured stories, there's eighteen and everything, you can spend as much time getting to know them as you like and it's not weird or illegal or anything. Authors have put a lot of work into creating these worlds and characters and offering them to CYS readers for free, and so maybe take a little time to enjoy them, and rate and review to let them know. (Just a note to readers, if you're on a PC, I recommend stopping by BradinDvorak's profile and installing the extension for Firefox or Chrome. It just makes reading more comfortable with an option for dark mode and some formatting changes, plus has the helpful side effect of turning all the names with @ next to them up there into clickable links to profiles, many of which contain even more good games!)

4 years ago
This made me smile.
Congratulations, Gower.

4 years ago
tfw I could have made the contest win a tie but I had to vote for Gower instead of myself In all seriousness congrats to Gower for winning and also thanks to the three fools who voted for me and got me to second place.

4 years ago

Congrats, Gower! I've not read a story as many times as I have PGfN! :~)

4 years ago
Great drawings as always, MDH

4 years ago

You forgot the nose ring...

And congrats to Gower!

4 years ago
Anyone want to suggest a quality game from the same general timeframe that didn't get featured or win any contests?

As long as this thread is here we might as well use it.

4 years ago
Implying people actually read, lmfao

4 years ago
I am terrible with names but The One with Gower travelling through time that shadowdrake wrote is really good. Edit Nevermind, after all, it is in the article.

4 years ago

Ninjapitka's The King's Command was really good. I don't think that one was mentioned. 

4 years ago
Shh, just let it die a quiet death. I'm flattered though. Thanks.

4 years ago

Another story I really liked that wasn't mentioned was Vicious Moles of Nature by Bill Ingersoll.

4 years ago

Bilbo's I went to the Graveyard. I really enjoyed that one. Unless it's on the list up there and I missed it.

4 years ago
It got disqualified from the contest because of time zone confusion but I agree, that one had some of the best actual writing I've seen all year. Plus the secret ending was a nice thing to stumble across to tie all the stories together.